Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah a ton of Wei's moves are brutal as hell. I was like :stare: when I did the legbreak and :stonk: when I put someone's head into an AC unit's fan. I cringed at the leg break, and then all the other enemies did at the same time ... I don't blame them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It's interesting to go exploring for shrines and boxes, see something nasty and think "oh dear, I'm probably going to shove someone's face into that later."

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

If anyone still doesn't own this game yet, it and all its DLC are 75% off today on Steam.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

King Vidiot posted:

Personally, I think the biggest problem is when areas have so many places to do environmental executions, it just makes Wei Shen look like a raving psycho.

This is part of why I think the mission with the fish factory/store thing is one of the best places to include all of those really gruesome ones.

Dog Eyes caused your Sister's addiction and eventual death due to it and taunted you about it, caused Winston and Peggy's death and taunted you about it, hosed with you at every single turn, and tried to kill you multiple times.

The idea that Wei Shen is on a raging rampage fits.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

KittyEmpress posted:

I really just want Wei to get into his car and do this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cR-WiGKZtg :allears:

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

KittyEmpress posted:

This is part of why I think the mission with the fish factory/store thing is one of the best places to include all of those really gruesome ones.

Dog Eyes caused your Sister's addiction and eventual death due to it and taunted you about it, caused Winston and Peggy's death and taunted you about it, hosed with you at every single turn, and tried to kill you multiple times.

It's been a while since I played, but doesn't the ingame information you unlock about Wei indicate that he's in trouble back in the SFPD for the same kind of stuff?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Wei Shen is kind of like Nick Kang in the sense that both are cops who lost a family member close to them and channel their aggression from that loss into their ability to whoop the rear end of crime. Nick is kind of a joking rear end in a top hat cop who does what he wants and gets results and Wei is someone who has some anger issues but still knows how to joke around and get results. Both are capable of taking their jobs very seriously and both go through some losses in the middle of their stories that push them to a point where they drop whatever isn't critical to their goal and make whoever wronged them pay. For Nick, it was who ultimately killed his father and everyone who has worked with him since. For what we've seen so far of Wei's story, it was Dogeyes and his cronies.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I don't know if it's been mentioned before now in the thread, but is there a trick to driving? Every vehicle seems to steer somewhere between just too slow for the curves and WAY too slow for the curves. Either the normal brake or emergency brake don't seem to help. Problem examples include the windy road to/from the temple and every street intersection.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Bruceski posted:

I don't know if it's been mentioned before now in the thread, but is there a trick to driving? Every vehicle seems to steer somewhere between just too slow for the curves and WAY too slow for the curves. Either the normal brake or emergency brake don't seem to help. Problem examples include the windy road to/from the temple and every street intersection.

Yeah hit poo poo and keep going.

It's mostly a case of just letting off the gas as the brake takes away too much momentum and the e-brake tends to swing you too far.

[edit]I actually like the driving, if you just maintain a medium pace the cars handle good but if you floor it you get this action movie fishtail at every turn sending guardrails and parking meters flying.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 17, 2013

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Halman posted:

It's been a while since I played, but doesn't the ingame information you unlock about Wei indicate that he's in trouble back in the SFPD for the same kind of stuff?
Last I saw was that Homicide and Internal Affairs were arguing since 2010-2011 over suspicion of Wei's involvement in a drug dealer's torture and murder, that IA suspected that at least one detective had lied to cover for Wei.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bruceski posted:

Are you using keyboard+mouse? Driving is so much easier with a gamepad. If you can find a wired Xbox360 controller, they're usually very cheap and automatically supported in most modern games.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Are you using keyboard+mouse? Driving is so much easier with a gamepad. If you can find a wired Xbox360 controller, they're usually very cheap and automatically supported in most modern games.

Using a gamepad, an old Logitech that works pretty well (though it needs an XInput wrapper on some games) and had put up with about ten years of abuse.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
So just to keep this thread alive, two things.

Firstly, I haven't been playing Sleeping Dogs at all because I don't want to spoil for myself what happens further in the LP. Yes I am loving this LP that much that I don't want to spoil the game for myself for what we'll all be seeing in the LP :v:

Secondly, I just had a dream today where I was in Hong Kong, taking a friend to a lawyer because "I know this place from Sleeping Dogs" and then Michael Clarke Duncan loving stole my pizza. And then RUINED it by dropping it on the floor like a DICK. I even liked his work, what the hell :(
Somehow he got away, but his goons were headed up by a very sharp-suited Steve Carrell...who I proceeded to murder the poo poo out of with at least five different sharp instruments...up INto the ribcage.
...what is this game doing to me :cripes: and you know what the worst part is?

....I didn't even break anyone's legs.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:
For those who are curious:

Yes, I have videos recorded.
No, I don't have commentary.
No, I haven't been able to tie down Rossi for about a week.
And the LP's on the back burner right now because my grandfather just died and things are a little hectic. I'll probably stream something to take my mind off of it later, but right now I'm having trouble focusing on finishing any videos.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Chocolate Donuts posted:

And the LP's on the back burner right now because my grandfather just died and things are a little hectic. I'll probably stream something to take my mind off of it later, but right now I'm having trouble focusing on finishing any videos.

Focus on family issues, wait for life to settle, find a co-commentator after.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Chocolate Donuts posted:

OH, god that's awful, I'm so sorry to hear that man :ohdear: you take as much time as you need, don't worry about us okay? I wouldn't want you to push yourself for anything when you need to clear your head with something else that'll help you.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Chocolate Donuts posted:

My sympathies. Take your time and get your poo poo in order, we can find other sources for silly video game videos.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Chocolate Donuts posted:

gently caress man... My life poo poo pales in comparison to that, I'll catch you on ASAP.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Streaming to take my mind off recent events, if you're interested.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Now playing Dark Souls and still awake. What am I doing. Posting this here in case anyone's interested.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
That is not dark souls...

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

cokerpilot posted:

That is not dark souls...

No it's not. Stream's finally over 24 hours later.

Fridurmus fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 24, 2013

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Take your time getting back on track. Wei Shen and whatever new badness you've unearthed can more than wait.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Finally got myself a copy of the game, having a blast. I just finished Bride To Be, but most of my time has been spent roaming around grabbing collectibles and making punks regret they ever got out of bed. Hell, sometimes they'll ragdoll straight as a board and tip over, a literal sei puk gai.

Other observations:
- Shen takes three bites of his food and tosses the rest. Nobody likes a litterbug, Ah Shen!
- Hearing the crosswalk lights make the exact same noise they do in HK made me smile.
- The profanity is glorious. People use diu like it's punctuation. One thug even called me a human being (see fatt gwai, literally 'butt ghost' if I remember correctly).
- HKLUB Radio is so good. I swear to god one of the rappers sounds like Cantonese Biz Markie.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
You forgot that most of the tracks on the classical station were put on there solely to be used as music to run people over to. Hallelujah, saber dance, ride of valkyries, all in a row.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

David D. Davidson posted:

You forgot that most of the tracks on the classical station were put on there solely to be used as music to run people over to. Hallelujah, saber dance, ride of valkyries, all in a row.
:aaa: What a fool I have been!

Although if I had my way, this would be part of the soundtrack.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

David D. Davidson posted:

If there's anything better than blaring Saber Dance while you weave through traffic, it's the Hallelujah chorus hitting the high notes while you drift through a turn in one of the good cars.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Tupperwarez posted:

Finally got myself a copy of the game, having a blast. I just finished Bride To Be, but most of my time has been spent roaming around grabbing collectibles and making punks regret they ever got out of bed. Hell, sometimes they'll ragdoll straight as a board and tip over, a literal sei puk gai.

Other observations:
- Shen takes three bites of his food and tosses the rest. Nobody likes a litterbug, Ah Shen!
- Hearing the crosswalk lights make the exact same noise they do in HK made me smile.
- The profanity is glorious. People use diu like it's punctuation. One thug even called me a human being (see fatt gwai, literally 'butt ghost' if I remember correctly).
- HKLUB Radio is so good. I swear to god one of the rappers sounds like Cantonese Biz Markie.
Wow so are you from Hong Kong or have you had experience with the area, because I'd love to know how much they really got right in the little details. :)

Also...butt ghost is a loving fantastic slur, that is hilarious.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
There have been anecdotes from other goons who've been in Hong Kong commenting on the authenticity in Sleeping Dogs as well as what's not (for example, Hong Kong Island standing in for "Hong Kong", to the point that Kowloon isn't in the game at all except as a song name).

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

I would have loved to have seen that fully realized in the game.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Aw man loving Kowloon, I woulda loved to see that. They coulda made a DLC out of that or something, just a whole new area. Last time I was in Kowloon game-wise was in Shadow Hearts.
...and man that was a hosed-up incident I had to deal with lemme tell ya :stare:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Senior Scarybagels posted:

^^^^ DAMMIT

The closest I think any game has come to including Kowloon is Shadow Hearts, and it was just a dungeon filled with horrifying sights, debris, and difficult enemies. It actually looked really cool, like a horror version of a Chinese ghetto.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Azure_Horizon posted:

^^^^ DAMMIT

The closest I think any game has come to including Kowloon is Shadow Hearts, and it was just a dungeon filled with horrifying sights, debris, and difficult enemies. It actually looked really cool, like a horror version of a Chinese ghetto.

But the question is: Would kowloon allow Wei Shen to really feel free?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
The Call of Duty Black Ops level set in Kowloon was really the high point of the game in terms of atmosphere.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
What about Shenmue II? Was that a close approximation of HK?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Azure_Horizon posted:

^^^^ DAMMIT

It was a fantastic area of the game, if not rather obtuse to reach considering one can very easily miss it. It really was one of the more twisted areas of Shadow Hearts to visit, and that's saying something for a game that ticked off a lot of horror tropes for an RPG.
The fact that normal people were still LIVING there was...disconcerting. :ohdear:

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

FinalGamer posted:

Wow so are you from Hong Kong or have you had experience with the area, because I'd love to know how much they really got right in the little details. :)

Also...butt ghost is a loving fantastic slur, that is hilarious.
On second thought, I guess 'rear end demon' would be a better literal translation. Either way the idea is the same, mischief with butts.

But yeah, I actually live in China, about 2 hours from the border. Every now and then I take the bus down and cross over. But like Chortles said, only HK island is featured in the game. It's the part of HK I rarely go to (I just dick around for a few hours in Kowloon Tong and go home), so I have no idea how accurate it is.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Kowloon was also featured, along with some bits of Hong Kong Island, in the shooter Project: Snowblind.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

FinalGamer posted:

It not exactly on The Getaway street for street, icon for icon level detail but its very good. Its kinda of downsized version but it does have the general feel of the area, the back alley ways, the trams, same colour taxis, the street feel, the noise that tells you when to cross the road is very unique to HK.

However it could be better, the population needs to be at least 6 times more to get the real feel and if your in the downtown area your console should make petrol fume smell and a Octopus card for fast travel on the subway which is one of the coolest things I have ever seen, especially if you rgrew up with the Glasgow underground which is basically a circle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

ally_1986 posted:

...especially if you rgrew up with the Glasgow underground which is basically a circle.

I love our map for the Glasgow underground, pure simplicity:

• Locked thread