Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I'm glad we can finally drop the pretense and acknowledge that Hetty really is as evil as she looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
What, the whole face changing colour to grey and insane gleam in the eye of the last panel didn't give it away?

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
God, way to judge based on appearances.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Guys I think Vriska Hetty may be turning evil :ohdear:

I just love how menacing she is in that last panel. Friday is gonna be intense :unsmigghh:

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Looks like the cursed body has broken at least once before, and someone's put it back together.

Wonder if Hetty remembers who put her back together the last time?

Necause repairing it that well looks like it took a lot of effort. Possibly the kind of thing someone would do for his sister's most favorite doll.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You know... I think i might be ready to admit that Renardine may be falling in with a bad crowd.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

ChairMaster posted:

You know... I think i might be ready to admit that Renardine may be falling in with a bad crowd.

He went through a period where he hung out with Coyote for decades or centuries, worrying about a bad crowd now is a little late. Hetty's probably less malicious when you consider that her attempt to get Reynardine to kill people seems to be running into obstacles. Coyote not so much.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

you guys crack me up

Gorgeous art all around.

FezCactus
Jun 2, 2013

Butt dance, butt dance
Wow this is M. Night Shamguy levels of twists. Hetty is evil?! NO... say it ain't so!

Which begs the question, how did Rey not see this coming? I mean they have hung out together before and given their dialogue have probably done some schemes before. There had to be signs.

Also love Hetty's last panel~

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

AE-35 Unit posted:

Hetty is starting to look awful Zimmy-like. Also, unhinged, evil, etc.

Maybe she is somehow related to "that awful thing" that Zimmy cooked up for the Science Fair, back when Rey was being a menace. But then again he might have seen through that, and he wouldn't "get near anything that has anything to do with that demon", so it's a far-fetched theory.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Maybe we'll find something out about the essential nature of possessed toys. It could be that there's an upward limit to the time that a soul can spend in an inanimate object before they go mad; something that adds a little urgency to Renard's situation.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The darkened eye and grays that Tom uses, I've always considered that shorthand for being emotionally unhinged more than being evil. It really comes up a lot, both Jack and Annie have had pages or chapters where they look like that while they're being erratic and making bad decisions.

And then there's Zimmy.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

The darkened eye and grays that Tom uses, I've always considered that shorthand for being emotionally unhinged more than being evil. It really comes up a lot, both Jack and Annie have had pages or chapters where they look like that while they're being erratic and making bad decisions.

And then there's Zimmy.

Well, I consider advocating child murder as usually a shorthand for being evil.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

The Red Queen posted:

Maybe we'll find something out about the essential nature of possessed toys. It could be that there's an upward limit to the time that a soul can spend in an inanimate object before they go mad; something that adds a little urgency to Renard's situation.

I'd guess that Renard is going to be blamed for something and it'll hurt his relationship with Annie. They haven't had any real problems in awhile.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

No guys you see, y'all being awfully prejudiced she's just misunderstood because:

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Dogdoo 8 posted:

I'd guess that Renard is going to be blamed for something and it'll hurt his relationship with Annie. They haven't had any real problems in awhile.

She's misunderstood because she's totally Coyote.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Blackheart posted:

No guys you see, y'all being awfully prejudiced she's just misunderstood because:

Adam murdered his sister who was Hetty's only friend.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Man, arsenic? That's just unimaginative, Hetty.

Dogdoo 8 posted:

She's misunderstood because she's totally Coyote.

Haha, I was hoping this gem of a theory would come up again.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

dyzzy posted:

Man, arsenic? That's just unimaginative, Hetty.

Haha, I was hoping this gem of a theory would come up again.

I still like the theory, but I admit, subsequent pages kinda killed it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Hetty is pretty much Rey's foil in that she fulfills his "Demon Renard" fantasy, which over time he came to reject.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Razorwired posted:

Considering that some things in the Court tend to function on weird magic rules(Annie naming Red) I wouldn't be surprised if just writing something like that did bind Hetty to Adam. It's not like there's a magical notary that goes around authenticating contracts.

It probably wouldn't even need to specifically be something about the doll, to be honest. I'll bet that Adam's sister just left everything she owned to him and that happened to include the doll.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
There's probably still a good explanation for all of this, but it won't justify Hetty's plans or previous actions. To be more explicit: she's clearly evil, but maybe she wasn't always like this, or maybe so and the "justification" for all of this is trivial at best or simply just the whole being-bound-to-a-ginger-and-trapped-in-a-doll-body thing. Hopefully it gets all laid out and then is resolved in an instant by Smitface McGee walking by and somehow smiting/fixing her.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

I'm wondering if that crack in her head is related to her insanity and violence. What if being broken and repaired caused a change in his personality that lead to all of this? Either because of the act of physically being broken, or a psychological effect of it happening.

So she could be becoming more and more unstable and this is new to Renard.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Geez, you guys, arsenic can be used for other things. Maybe she just wants to strengthen some metal alloys or something.

My money's still on her slipping Renard something to "help" him with his Annie problem. If the court doesn't even know about her, it might be hard for him to say anything. Plus "no, it was the crazy evil doll, not me" doesn't sound good anyway.

Edit: Actually, even better/worse, they might have to run in the midst of the heist, leaving Renard holding the arsenic. Then you get the "I was just holding it for a friend" problem.

Anoia fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 17, 2013

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

What if the arsenic is just to mine for gold? Come on guys, we shouldn't judge her until we have all the facts. She might not be evil.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Do you think she's cracking because she's straining to disobey her orders? I thought it was a "physically impossible" sort of thing but maybe it's just hazardous to your toy-health.

Also, still betting on her attacking Annie as a favor to Rey.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Maybe she doesn't exist and Rey is the one that is cracking.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Renard's been trapped in Dr. Disaster's simulation this whole time!

Kat recalibrates the deflector array to use inverse tachyon flux in order to rescue him.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Hetty was a sane, friendly doll until she fell into the cursed teapot.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
You can't be sure that she is evil, unless she kicks a little puppy to drink its tears.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Anoia posted:

My money's still on her slipping Renard something to "help" him with his Annie problem. If the court doesn't even know about her, it might be hard for him to say anything. Plus "no, it was the crazy evil doll, not me" doesn't sound good anyway.

Especially not coming from what is, in most of the Court's eyes, a crazy evil doll.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Air is lava! posted:

You can't be sure that she is evil, unless she kicks a little puppy to drink its tears.

There's always extenuating circumstances.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

Maybe the puppy was actually Coyote!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

SHISHKABOB posted:

I really want to see your read of "Blood Meridian".

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Rasamune posted:

Especially not coming from what is, in most of the Court's eyes, a crazy evil doll.

The investigation is pending results from the "is this thing actually coyote" lab.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

I really want to see your read of "Blood Meridian".

I'm sure there's extenuating circumstances in that book too.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

SHISHKABOB posted:

I'm sure there's extenuating circumstances in that book too.

Have a quick read of just the opening chapter, I would like you to come up with a reason for anything either the Judge or the Kid do during them other than "evil/complete lack of a moral compass".

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

Have a quick read of just the opening chapter, I would like you to come up with a reason for anything either the Judge or the Kid do during them other than "evil/complete lack of a moral compass".

I don't need to read the book to know that there are going to be extenuating circumstances in a story. It's like asking if there's going to be words there too.

(I am being facetious)

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

Forgall posted:

Adam murdered his sister who was Hetty's only friend.

Oh man, if this turns out to be true then that would be a total mindfuck. A magical doll driven insane by the murder of her friend and master, bent on revenge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Oz posted:

Oh man, if this turns out to be true then that would be a total mindfuck. A magical doll driven insane by the murder of her friend and master, bent on revenge!

I wouldn't be surprised if this happened (well okay I would be, but in a I AM SO SURPRISED EVEN THOUGH I KIND OF EXPECTED IT way), but I don't want it to be true. Really I just want Renard to go "Hey, Hetty, what's that over there?" and then chomp her in two or something.