Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

The two people defending that mechanic even disagreeing between how long it takes before Navi said something (30 mins vs. 10 mins) says a lot. That mechanic was awful and completely backwards to how every previous game in the series was. Before today I hadn't heard a single person defend it, which speaks volumes about how laterally that stuff was despised across the board.

It's not surprising that we're so far removed from that game that people are defending the worst parts of it. Before long someone will pipe up with "Ehhh Superman 64 was ok."

Ninja edit: heylisten

I just finished my run on the 3ds version. And Navi didn't bother me one bit. I just asked my friend who loves zelda more than I do about it, and he said he just tunes navi out and it never really bothered him either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Before today I had no clue it was something that people were serious about finding annoying. I didn't have a problem with it in 1998 and I didn't when I played the remake either.

Also drawing parallels between defending a universally panned title rife with objective design missteps and technical issues and people saying that they didn't perceive a particular mechanic/character as detracting from the game in any significant fashion is a bit of a stretch.

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!
Can you queue up more than 10 people for any of the new StreetPass games?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Kilazar posted:

I just finished my run on the 3ds version. And Navi didn't bother me one bit.
I'm about 99% sure they toned Navi down for 3DS. I don't own the 3DS version so I'm not totally sure, but I think it may have even come up before in the thread.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I don't understand what exactly the problem with Navi is, considering she is, apart from the first dungeon, completely optional. Don't want any tips? Don't press C-Up. Done. Is it seriously just her audio samples?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Can you queue up more than 10 people for any of the new StreetPass games?

I don't think so. If you get a Mii Plaza alert, the notification center lists the number of StreetPass hits with a "/10" after it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I liked Navi :shobon: I also liked Fi, but the best will always be Red Lion :black101:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
^^^^^^^^
Really?

.TakaM posted:

Anyone here own DOA Dimensions? I found it on sale online today and it reviewed well so I ordered it, but I was wondering if anyone here has spent some time with it and if they'd recommend it.

Its pretty great. It plays a lot like DOA2 but it includes every single character from the series, including previously unplayable bosses. The graphics are great and run at 60fps in 2D mode (or 30 in 3D), and the online play is surprisingly good. Also unlike SF4, DOA has few enough buttons that your hands wont be breaking trying to play it on the 3DS layout.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

surc posted:

I'm about 99% sure they toned Navi down for 3DS. I don't own the 3DS version so I'm not totally sure, but I think it may have even come up before in the thread.

This may be the cause for the disparity in opinion on her.

Even when she just prompts you in the 64 version, it's "HEY." or "LISTEN!" while a button flashes on the screen while you're busy trying to block a leaping skeleton.

Keep in mind she does this for the entire game, which isn't the shortest game in the world. Plus, I have resentment for that mechanic if only because it's what I can pinpoint as the beginning of (in-game) Nintendo Hand Holding (tm) that's led to them releasing games that play themselves if you are bad at them :colbert:.

e: :lol: Googling shows that they added even more Navi to 3D. Stuff like "Maybe you should take a break?"

It's been so long since I played the 3DS version that I can't remember. But, man, she sucks in the 64 version.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 17, 2013

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Soul Glo posted:

Keep in mind she does this for the entire game, which isn't the shortest game in the world. Plus, I have resentment for that mechanic if only because it's what I can pinpoint as the beginning of (in-game) Nintendo Hand Holding (tm) that's led to them releasing games that play themselves if you are bad at them :colbert:.

I genuinely don't get people's problems with the super guide, it's completely optional and to me acts like a motivator when it's offered. Like "gently caress you this will not beat me" kind of thing.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

It's like when the person next to you on the couch asks "Mind if I try?" when you've failed at something ten times in a row. No, gently caress you!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

I liked the robotic tone :shobon: I always play Zeldas slowly so it doesn't matter much to me.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

njsykora posted:

I genuinely don't get people's problems with the super guide, it's completely optional and to me acts like a motivator when it's offered. Like "gently caress you this will not beat me" kind of thing.

I don't have PROBLEMS with it, per se, but I do think it's ultimately silly and a bit ironic to have a game play itself.

Can those prompts be turned off? It's a bit of a kick when you're down to be trying to get a tough to reach star coin in Mario and then have a "Hahah, since you suck, hit this Easy Block and we'll do it for you."

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
In DKC it's really easy to ignore because it's just the pig hanging out flying a flag around when you respawn. It's incredibly easy to ignore, to the point where I feel like it'd be silly to turn it off. 3D Land is a little more annoying, but still super easy to just walk past. If the game badgered you with text boxes to use the Super Guide every time you died it'd be incredibly annoying, but as is it's just poo poo you can walk right past as far as I've seen.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Some of the New Super Mario Bros. games are probably the worst offenders in the "making you feel ashamed at yourself" category. In NSMB Wii it was a blinking block signifying your utter failure going "ding-dong. ding-dong. ding-dong. ding-dong." :negative:

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

surc posted:

I don't remember her ever annoying me on the 64 version. And my friend doesn't own a 3ds. He replayed the 64 version in tandem with my replaying the 3ds version. I'm just saying, count me in that non vocal group that Navi never hit a nerve on.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Soul Glo posted:

This may be the cause for the disparity in opinion on her.

Even when she just prompts you in the 64 version, it's "HEY." or "LISTEN!" while a button flashes on the screen while you're busy trying to block a leaping skeleton.

e: :lol: Googling shows that they added even more Navi to 3D. Stuff like "Maybe you should take a break?"

It's been so long since I played the 3DS version that I can't remember. But, man, she sucks in the 64 version.

That's incorrect. When you target enemies, it's "Watch out!" she says, and the button prompt is for a name/description of the enemy instead of plot railroading, similar to scanning them in Metroid. Which personally I enjoyed because I got to learn the names of all the enemies which I never knew before.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Soul Glo posted:

I don't have PROBLEMS with it, per se, but I do think it's ultimately silly and a bit ironic to have a game play itself.

Can those prompts be turned off? It's a bit of a kick when you're down to be trying to get a tough to reach star coin in Mario and then have a "Hahah, since you suck, hit this Easy Block and we'll do it for you."

Except the Super Guide doesn't get or actively go after Star Coins, and even if it did the game wouldn't let you keep them.

At least this is what I hear, Never actually had to see it/use it (And if I did because of a cheap death I just reset the game.)

Speaking of, what games has the Super Guide been in since it started being a feature?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Except the Super Guide doesn't get or actively go after Star Coins, and even if it did the game wouldn't let you keep them.

At least this is what I hear, Never actually had to see it/use it (And if I did because of a cheap death I just reset the game.)

Speaking of, what games has the Super Guide been in since it started being a feature?

Yeah, but that's even more of a poke as it evokes like a "UGH, I already beat the level, you jerk, I'm trying to get this stupid COIN :argh:."

I think NSMBW, NSMBU, SM3DL and maybe NSMB2 have all had it, not sure about NSMB2, though. I haven't played the new Luigi game yet.

e: Plus, apparently, Donkey Kong.

e2: 3D Land had the super power up, not sure about the guide.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Nintendo filed trademarks for what may be Seaman games on the 3DS: http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/17/4531256/nintendo-trademarks-suggest-new-seaman-games-in-the-works

If this is true and we get them in the US, they should totally get Nimoy back to do the voice work.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Maybe I'm one of a kind. Maybe playing shitloads of Nintendo games (and not the old, super hard kind. I got an N64 when I was something like 7 and that's where I started) in my youth conditioned me to them, but I just don't get the people getting mad at tutorials. I feel like most just bitch about them online because that's what nerds do. That's obviously not the case but I actually cannot understand the amount of rage/annoyance mandatory tutorials manage to generate on message boards like SA. I only found out about navi being considered annoying from flash games on newgrounds where you shoot her full of arrows.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Soul Glo posted:

Yeah, but that's even more of a poke as it evokes like a "UGH, I already beat the level, you jerk, I'm trying to get this stupid COIN :argh:."

I think NSMBW, NSMBU, SM3DL and maybe NSMB2 have all had it, not sure about NSMB2, though. I haven't played the new Luigi game yet.

Mario Galaxy 2 had a Super Guide too, but I was too awesome to ever end up using it so I dont know if its exactly like NSMB

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

This is true, all the Super Guide ever does is effectively skip the level while showing you how it's done. In Mario Galaxy the star wouldn't count, in DKCR you lose any puzzle pieces you've got and the level marker stays red instead of turning blue. It clears the level sure but ultimately tells you you're gonna have to do it yourself eventually.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kilazar posted:

I don't remember her ever annoying me on the 64 version. And my friend doesn't own a 3ds. He replayed the 64 version in tandem with my replaying the 3ds version. I'm just saying, count me in that non vocal group that Navi never hit a nerve on.

You guys seem pretty vocal about not being bothered by Navi.

She annoyed the poo poo out of me in the 3DS version and I barely played the N64 one so I'm not carrying any Navi baggage.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Theres a Zelda thread over this-a-way http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3530083

If theres anything we like to debate in there its Skyward Swords motion controls, and which game has the worst helper/hint system. (Its Links Awakening, if your not nostalgia blinded fyi)

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Soul Glo posted:

NSMB2 had it in the form of the "White Racoon Tail" that allows you to fly with only a very minimal bit of running. I believe 3D Land had something similar. Maybe it was the P-Wing.

You can even use it in the Coin Rush mode with no consequences, though its actually rather crap since you still have to land every once in a while, I don't know if it makes you invincible otherwise.

DKCR had it in the form of that obnoxious pig (Why is it a pig anyway? They couldn't use Candy or anybody else?) giving you the option to use Super Kong, which is basically Donkey Kong if he was coated in white paint or fell into bleach.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

The owl "Did you get all that ->No Yes." Is the worst thing in that game. Makes Navi look helpful.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Personperson14 posted:

The owl "Did you get all that ->No Yes." Is the worst thing in that game. Makes Navi look helpful.

Defaulting to "No." on that question probably gave me a rage blackout when I was 13. Can't remember if they changed that in the 3DS version.

"JUST LET ME INTO THAT HUGE WORLD YOU loving rear end in a top hat OWL AAAAAAAAAGH :argh:" - me, in 1998.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Bombadilillo posted:

Theres a Zelda thread over this-a-way http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3530083

If theres anything we like to debate in there its Skyward Swords motion controls, and which game has the worst helper/hint system. (Its Links Awakening, if your not nostalgia blinded fyi)

Not to get off-topic, but I'm wracking my brain over here because I JUST beat Link's Awakening for the first time since I was a kid on the 3DS's DX version, and I can't think of what's irritating about the hint system. The owl? He shows up a lot, but it's not like he defaults to telling you everything again like the N64 owl.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Popular Human posted:

Not to get off-topic, but I'm wracking my brain over here because I JUST beat Link's Awakening for the first time since I was a kid on the 3DS's DX version, and I can't think of what's irritating about the hint system. The owl? He shows up a lot, but it's not like he defaults to telling you everything again like the N64 owl.

Every time you bump notinteract with, just move too close to, a liftable object without the ring on it gives you an unskipable multi part message that you cant mash through becasue you will activate it again. Also did you know "the compass has a whistle now..."

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

It's not surprising that we're so far removed from that game that people are defending the worst parts of it. Before long someone will pipe up with "Ehhh Superman 64 was ok."

I have a soft spot for Superman 64 but that may be because I never got the complaining about how hard it was or I'm just upsettingly good at it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Amppelix posted:

Maybe I'm one of a kind. Maybe playing shitloads of Nintendo games (and not the old, super hard kind. I got an N64 when I was something like 7 and that's where I started) in my youth conditioned me to them, but I just don't get the people getting mad at tutorials. I feel like most just bitch about them online because that's what nerds do. That's obviously not the case but I actually cannot understand the amount of rage/annoyance mandatory tutorials manage to generate on message boards like SA. I only found out about navi being considered annoying from flash games on newgrounds where you shoot her full of arrows.

I hate long and hand holding tutorials. It's like I just want to play the goddamn game already but I have to suffer through this long rear end tutorial to get to the real game. The newer Zelda games are a huge victim of this because they seriously just go on and on and on with the loving tutorial. Skyward sword is even worse because you are literally seeing the same stuff repeated multiple times in the beginning thanks to Fi (and even throughout the whole game). One of my favorite games, persona 4, takes a good while to actually start and it's annoying but it's mostly story stuff and not long annoying tutorials about how to move, etc. FF13 is also a big offender where you are still seeing tutorials all the way til hour 15 in some cases (I do believe you could skip them though). Again a good tutorial to confusing mechanics isn't bad, but don't give a poo poo load of tutorials on how to move, jump, etc, because I already know how to do that.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport
Should I be excited about Friday Monsters?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Soul Glo posted:

Defaulting to "No." on that question probably gave me a rage blackout when I was 13. Can't remember if they changed that in the 3DS version.

"JUST LET ME INTO THAT HUGE WORLD YOU loving rear end in a top hat OWL AAAAAAAAAGH :argh:" - me, in 1998.

My first experience with that was at a Costco where there were other people interested in seeing/playing the game, and to have to mash through all that text again was awful.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Bombadilillo posted:

Every time you bump notinteract with, just move too close to, a liftable object without the ring on it gives you an unskipable multi part message that you cant mash through becasue you will activate it again.

This was probably the one truly terrible thing in that game.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

gameday posted:

Should I be excited about Friday Monsters?

NO. It's TERRIBLE.
It's like the first hour of a crappy JRPG in which you can't leave the first town and have to run around talking to everyone before you're allowed to finally go on your adventure. The writing is completely uninspired. There are no battles.
Seriously, save your money for a pack of smokes or a beer--you'll get far more satisfaction than dropping money on this piece of poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I never quite understand people's blackout-rage anger over tutorials.

Every single time, without fail, a game doesn't give a tutorial for something, the thread for that game inevitably has multiple people going "I didn't understand this" and then getting pissed off that the game didn't tell them something. Then they proceed to complain about the controls being bad/the game being obtuse/whatever. It's probably not the same people complaining about tutorials, but someone going "the game overexplained" is far less likely to give a bad impression than someone going "this piece of poo poo game doesn't work/glitched/makes no sense."

I'd rather not have to have it explained how I walk every single time but that is because I try out buttons and see what happens. A lot of people don't. There are people on these forums, let along in the general public, who go through entire video games without trying every button on the controller at least once.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I believe the best way is to have a comprehensive tutorial and make it entirely optional.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I never quite understand people's blackout-rage anger over tutorials.

Haha, what? How did you come up with blackout rage? Are you picturing people beating their spouses because tutorials set them off so much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fallom posted:

Haha, what? How did you come up with blackout rage? Are you picturing people beating their spouses because tutorials set them off so much?

No lie, I've seen people say they've stopped playing games and broken discs/controllers over tutorials being too common or too long. v:shobon:v

• Locked thread