Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

I would loving love to live in SF if I could find a 1B that allows dogs (nothing does right now as it's 100% renter's market and isn't going to change for the forseeable future) under 2K but it ain't going to happen.

Try Oakland!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

withak posted:

Try Oakland!

Oakland still isn't SF :v:

I'm okay for now, I just signed a nice renovated 1B in North Berkeley somewhat close to the BART station for 1.5k. It's a pretty good neighborhood to walk my dog around with non of the annoying rear end undergrads wandering around at 2am like my other place near Telegraph had. Next year I'll probably try harder for a place in SF but I can't really justify the extra 5-10k a year it would cost :(

VVVVV Yep

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

enraged_camel posted:

It's a gigantic bubble that is growing day by day. Things won't be pretty for new houseowners once it pops.

The "bubble" didn't pop in San Francisco or Oakland during the first dot-com implosion, nor did it pop after the 2008 financial crisis. I wouldn't call the market "bubble-proof" but holy gently caress it's the closest thing I've ever seen to something like that.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CrazyLittle posted:

The "bubble" didn't pop in San Francisco or Oakland during the first dot-com implosion, nor did it pop after the 2008 financial crisis. I wouldn't call the market "bubble-proof" but holy gently caress it's the closest thing I've ever seen to something like that.

Yeah to need a crash you would somehow need all the big names such as Apple and Google to somehow crash together as part of some big market change.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

ANYONE
BUT
CARDOZA even though he retired last year
I swear to god, between 2010 (when I first saw them) and June 2013 (my most recent trip through the I-5) an OBAMA-CREATED DUST BOWL sign popped up along the freeway.

It's almost as if people don't understand the tragedy of the commons such how agriculture gets such cheap water rates compared to the rest the state and such cheap rates discourage improvements such as growing less water hungry crops/upgrading farm capital for better conservation.

etalian fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 17, 2013

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I believe I've read 2012-13 wasn't such a drastic rent jump in SF as the previous year, so it may plateau soon. It's funny I meet plenty of people "stuck" in their apartment via rent control since it would cost them hundreds-to-thousands of dollars more to rent the same sort of apartment they have nowadays and you'd think they've been there for 10 years or something but it's usually like 3.

It's a fun city and pays well if you're in the right industry and don't plan on staying long enough to buy anything (or else are filthy rich). The problem is everyone else. The gentrification of the east bay especially is pretty bad and people just keep getting pushed further and further out.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I moved from SF to Oakland last year. I wanted a bigger place and in SF that would have meant a 50-100% rent increase (after being in a rent-controlled place for only 5 years) while the place in Oakland is a lot bigger and 15% less. Also I work in Oakland and a 15-minute bike commute is immeasureably nicer (and cheaper) than an hour on Muni and BART. Also there are now 100% fewer gutterpunks making GBS threads by my front steps.

From watching craigslist, they rented my old place for about 40% more than what I was paying when I moved out.

withak fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 17, 2013

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
The main reason that Donna Frye is calling for Mayor Filner to resign is because he refused to sexually harass her.

(lol if u give a poo poo about SD politics whatsoever.)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Let me show you Danville/Alamo (excluding the Dougherty Valley area)...

Danville at least voted for Obama twice, but then I remember when I drove north on 680 during spring 2012, I saw billboards in Alamo saying "Obama, here's your pink slip! Hands off my healthcare!" by the East Bay Tea Party :suicide:

Having grown up in danville/alamo, I can confirm that it is the whitest part of America I've ever been to. So many angry libertarians, its horrible. One of my parents' friends has the "Don't Tread on Me" tea party flag flying over his oversized Alamo mansion.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Leperflesh posted:

(But, what does this say about the worst CA papers, like The San Francisco Examiner
I dont remember what they are called but I have seen some terrible local papers somewhere across OC and SD.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Chinatown posted:

The main reason that Donna Frye is calling for Mayor Filner to resign is because he refused to sexually harass her.

(lol if u give a poo poo about SD politics whatsoever.)
Living in OC, then SD, then OC again, it's an interesting contrast. In OC, I couldn't tell you much about OC's local politics outside of "Santa Ana is dysfunctional". It seems like no one ever reports on it. In SD, it seemed like I and many other people were acutely aware of what was going on with the city council/everyone (lol Donna Frye).

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Heh, if you think Santa Ana is dysfunctional you should see Long Beach.

OldHansMoleman
Jan 4, 2004
I Hate Myself
It's just such a drat shame about Filner. He's been a notorious rear end in a top hat his whole life but he was SD's first chance in a long time to not act as a vehicle to enrich local developers.

Senor Science
Aug 21, 2004

MI DIOS!!! ESTA CIENCIA ES DIABOLICO!!!

JosefStalinator posted:

Having grown up in danville/alamo, I can confirm that it is the whitest part of America I've ever been to. So many angry libertarians, its horrible. One of my parents' friends has the "Don't Tread on Me" tea party flag flying over his oversized Alamo mansion.

I grew up and was raised in Lamorinda, and leaving that place for college and living overseas was one of the best things I've ever done. It's disgusting how both Lamorinda and Danville/Alamo are so insular and cut off even from the rest of the Bay Area.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Senor Science posted:

I grew up and was raised in Lamorinda, and leaving that place for college and living overseas was one of the best things I've ever done. It's disgusting how both Lamorinda and Danville/Alamo are so insular and cut off even from the rest of the Bay Area.

Yeah, tell me about it, but if you raise kids you can't deny that the public schools in Orinda are as good as many private schools elsewhere in the bay area. I'm still planning on raising kids in Oakland or SF if I can help it.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Senor Science posted:

I grew up in the Mission San Jose district of Fremont (and the high school I went to is really infamous for having absolutely cutthroat academic pressure, and a girl committed suicide this past school year because of it), and yeah, I agree that getting out of the upper-class MSJ bubble is one of the best things to happen to me (then again, going to UC Irvine is a dubious improvement).

I'm pretty sure Lamorinda falls in the "only overwhelming Democratic because most of them were moderate Republicans" category. It's really something seeing the demographic changes (as in, an explosion of the Asian population) from Pleasanton to Dublin to San Ramon, though, last time I've been in the area.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
I think the only place whiter than Alamo might be Blackhawk...

*edit* nevermind- Wiki says Alamo is 86.9% white, Blackhawk is only 73.6%.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 17, 2013

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

OldHansMoleman posted:

It's just such a drat shame about Filner. He's been a notorious rear end in a top hat his whole life but he was SD's first chance in a long time to not act as a vehicle to enrich local developers.

Yes, odious personal problems aside, he managed to get the cars out of the Plaza de Panama pretty drat quick without having some kind of major developmental headache for Balboa Park. He also got people out of the Children's Pool in La Jolla to help protect the seals there. He's been a pretty decent progressive force in office, but also has had lots of run-ins with the city attorney and is generally an rear end in a top hat.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

CrazyLittle posted:

I think the only place whiter than Alamo might be Blackhawk...

*edit* nevermind- Wiki says Alamo is 86.9% white, Blackhawk is only 73.6%.

These places are all very white, for california, but there are plenty of places in the US which are whiter. You can explore this stuff using the interactive US 2010 census map from the NY times, here.

For example:

Alamo, CA:

St. Albans, VT:

New England in general is extremely white, of course, but I paged around in Vermont to find a particularly white area.

e. The whitest county in California appears to be Trinity County, at 86% white. Every county in Vermont is above 90% white.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 17, 2013

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Glass of Milk posted:

Yes, odious personal problems aside, he managed to get the cars out of the Plaza de Panama pretty drat quick without having some kind of major developmental headache for Balboa Park. He also got people out of the Children's Pool in La Jolla to help protect the seals there. He's been a pretty decent progressive force in office, but also has had lots of run-ins with the city attorney and is generally an rear end in a top hat.

Are there plans for the Plaza or are they just going to leave it as an empty concrete meeting place?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

keevo posted:

Are there plans for the Plaza or are they just going to leave it as an empty concrete meeting place?

My understanding is that they will be adding trees, benches and cafe tables to encourage pedestrian traffic. There are also going to be tram stops at the plaza to take people who would have otherwise parked there.

Found an article on it, with pics:
http://www.examiner.com/article/walkers-venture-into-plaza-de-panama

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

withak posted:

The rental market in SF is insane. If you are looking at a place close to a Google/Apple/Facebook shuttle route then you are hosed unless you can compete with the people offering six months or a year's rent in advance. It isn't unusual for a building to have new tenants paying 2-3x (or more) above other tenants who have been there 10 years or more.

I've seen this happen with places without rent control as well...

Places with the equal opportunity housing program or section 8 usually get a big boost in subsidised rent. Not so much with the smaller apartment buildings but most of the larger building complexes usually don't get built unless they have a provision in there for low income housing.

I know in my building now I'm averaging about $2200 a month for rent in Burbank, but the same unit going to section 8 would be about $800/mo with the government picking up the difference [usually marked up].

I saw this over with the Playa Vista development, they had 3 bedroom units there dedicated for section 8, in fact they wouldn't rent them out to you unless you were low income because they were charging under $1000/mo for the unit, and California an additional $3000/mo.

Which reminds me...

Playa Vista was kinda interesting, it was Los Angeles last undeveloped spot essentially. I worked near there for years. Dreamworks tried to build a studio lot all along Jefferson where the old Howard Hughes plant/airport was, but they didn't grease the right palms, plus they ran into environmental resistance due to the nearby wetlands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playa_Vista,_Los_Angeles
http://www.ballonafriends.org/why.html

So dreamworks failed in their bid, and in rolled the condo developers next, and the whole area turned into a huge shitstorm. The developers got support by promising low income units into their development plans, and the project was approved while setting aside some part of the land for "wetlands restoration" (basically building a walking path and a parking lot for the wetlands).

The developers approved plan, was changed multiple times, which exploited a loophole where revisions didn't need to go back for county approval. So while the original plan for Playa Vista had lots of green space around buildings, the reality was they quickly changed it to put buildings edge to edge right up to the sidewall to pack in as many units as they could.

After all that was done there were additional problems.

The site is an native burial ground, sitting on swamp land full of old abandoned oil wells and methane gas pockets, combined with toxic waste left over from the Hughes plant, along with unexploded world war II ordnance. :cripes:

To add all this, the developers were playing shell games with soil samples actually trucking in clean soil from off site, laying it down, having government testers come in and then scoop the whole works back up once testing is done.

The local NBC affiliate did a series on the issues.

http://www.saveballona.org/videos-safe-water-safe-gas.html

I was pretty much unaware of all this until I tried to move into Playa Vista and wondered why my lease paperwork was 70+ pages mostly dealing with methane gas leaks, and other toxic chemicals with the requirement that I wouldn't hold the developer or landlord liable if my place blew up, or if I got cancer, etc.

I ran far away from that complex, and did some research.

Oddly enough the 2 rental complexes there were built on the largest gas and toxin bubble of the whole development, with the Electronic Arts LA office being dead center of it along with a fire station.

You know its bad when the LAFD off the record wouldn't advise anyone to live there...

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
A good friend of mine is an environmental engineer and has said the same thing about Playa Vista being an environmental disaster.

Actually, most of the South Bay as a whole is toxic thanks to all of the aerospace and manufacturing that used to be in the area during the "gently caress it, just put it into the ground" days.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
I bike along the creek and boy does it smell awesome.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

Heh, if you think Santa Ana is dysfunctional you should see Long Beach.

Really? When i lived in Long Beach it seemed well-run. Then again I was using my Orange County, gently caress the poor experience to judge it. Care to elaborate?

Ah Pook
Aug 23, 2003

Geared Hub posted:

Ballona stuff
What a fuckin mess. I've heard that Pixar is eyeing the real estate there too, everyone wants to get in on that toxic hellhole/wildlife refuge.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

There's exciting new news from our state universities!

UC press release posted:

U.S. Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano has been nominated for appointment as the 20th president of the University of California, it was announced today (July 12).

Regent Sherry Lansing, chair of a 10-member special search committee, said Napolitano rose to the top from a large field of candidates and was recommended on a unanimous vote.

The full Board of Regents will act on the recommendation Thursday, July 18, during a special meeting following the board's regular bimonthly meeting in San Francisco.

"I am both honored and excited by the prospect of serving as president of the University of California," Napolitano said in a statement. "If appointed, I intend to reach out and listen to chancellors, to faculty, to students, to the state's political leaders, to regents, to the heads of the other public higher education systems and, of course, to President Yudof and his team, who have done so much to steer the University of California through some extremely rough waters."

Lansing called Napolitano, "a distinguished and dedicated public servant who has earned trust at the highest, most critical levels of our country's government. She has proven herself to be a dynamic, hard-working and transformative leader.

"As governor of Arizona, she was an effective advocate for public education, and a champion for the life-changing opportunities that education provides...Those who know her best say that a passion for education is in her DNA.

"As Secretary of Homeland Security," Lansing added, "she has been an ardent advocate for the federal Dream Act and the architect of a policy that protects from deportation young undocumented immigrants who are pursuing a college education."

My union put out a statement, saying basically what the gently caress?

UC Student-Workers Union posted:

As student-workers of the University of California (UC), we are shocked and troubled by the nomination of Janet Napolitano for appointment as the President of the UC. Napolitano is clearly unqualified for this position. Moreover, the UC Regents’ selection process shut out public involvement and democratic oversight over this consequential hiring decision. We fear that this decision will further expand the privatization, mismanagement, and militarized repression of free speech that characterized Mark Yudof’s presidency and will threaten the quality and accessibility of education, which must be the first priority for the future of the UC system.

Although Napolitano has political and managerial experience, she does not have the academic qualifications, scholarly expertise, or other experience in education that would be appropriate for heading an institution of higher learning. Napolitano’s experience at the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) qualifies her to manage a security, law enforcement, or disaster management agency, but not the world’s premier public university system. The Regents’ equation of this experience with experience appropriate for university governance reflects disturbing priorities for the future of the UC. Furthermore, what record Napolitano does have of safeguarding public education is appalling: during her time as governor, Arizona ranked among the bottom five states in per-pupil spending.

While Napolitano has publicly claimed to support the DREAM Act, under her leadership, the DHS deported a record 1.5 million undocumented immigrants. This number is expected to grow to 2 million by the end of the year, as The New York Times reports. The UC administration has historically supported undocumented student rights. Let’s make sure that following Napolitano’s nomination, the UC administration demonstrates ongoing support for the fate of the undocumented community.

We question the implications for academic freedom that arise from installing a law enforcement official with a background in surveillance, cyber-security, and border control in a central leadership role at an institution of free expression and learning. After the events of police violence and repression of free speech across UC campuses in recent years, the hiring of such an official as UC President promises to strain the already-tense relationship between students, workers, and the administration.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
"Militarized repression of free speech"? My union kinda annoys me sometimes. Although I don't like the Napolitano pick on the surface, either.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Bizarro Watt posted:

"Militarized repression of free speech"? My union kinda annoys me sometimes. Although I don't like the Napolitano pick on the surface, either.

Come on, our union reps have always been the more radical types, particularly after the last big leadership election where the less radical elements got thrown out for being ineffective and lovely negotiators. I'll take the rhetoric if it means they'll stick it to the Regents and the UCOP during the bargaining.

Napolitano is a completely awful pick, but not just for her really ignorant policy position. It's more that she's completely god-drat clueless on how to run a university with a single campus, much less a system with ten. Look at how crappy Yudof -- a fairly experienced academic administrator -- was with the push to privatization; I doubt Napolitano will be much better.

One other thing: In listening to Slate's Political Gabfest in the past month or so, it seems our fair system has been ADVERTISING itself. Is it just me, or does it seem incredibly cynical for UC to be doing ad buys on wankfests for the pundit class when they can barely pay their graduate students and can't stop hiking fees every year? Touting "innovation" and such when it's become blatantly apparent that only the Favored Few campuses are being encouraged to survive is incredibly disgusting.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Are you sure the ads aren't targeted to out-of-state students? I remember reading a couple years ago that UC had upped its OOS acceptance rate from 10 percent to 20 percent in a strategic move for budget purposes.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't been paying enough attention to the President search, but what's even the rationale for hiring Napolitano? Is she really the best rainmaker that was available? Or do they think that her association with a huge bloated security agency will confuse Brown enough to want to give her a giant portion out of the budget?

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
UC San Quentin!

UC tuition is cheaper than state prison anyways.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

SporkOfTruth posted:

Come on, our union reps have always been the more radical types, particularly after the last big leadership election where the less radical elements got thrown out for being ineffective and lovely negotiators. I'll take the rhetoric if it means they'll stick it to the Regents and the UCOP during the bargaining.
No poo poo. The semi-left always shits in its own mouth because they are so "offended" by the people trying to help them.

Shear Modulus posted:

I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't been paying enough attention to the President search, but what's even the rationale for hiring Napolitano? Is she really the best rainmaker that was available? Or do they think that her association with a huge bloated security agency will confuse Brown enough to want to give her a giant portion out of the budget?
There is always dirty politicking via the war-industry, as well as the money-industry, when the UCs are involved.

quote:

Los Alamos National Laboratory (or LANL; previously known at various times as Project Y, Los Alamos Laboratory, and Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory) is one of two laboratories in the United States where classified work towards the design of nuclear weapons is undertaken. The other, since 1952, is Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.

quote:

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) is a Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC) founded by the University of California in 1952. It is primarily funded by the United States Department of Energy (DOE) and managed and operated by Lawrence Livermore National Security, LLC (LLNS), a partnership of the University of California, Bechtel, Babcock & Wilcox, URS, and Battelle Memorial Institute in affiliation with the Texas A&M University System. The laboratory was honored in 2012 by having the synthetic chemical element livermorium named after it.

http://www.spot.us/pitches/337-investors-club-how-the-uc-regents-spin-public-funds-into-private-profit

quote:

Several very wealthy, politically powerful men are fixtures on the regent's investment committee, including Richard C. Blum (Wall Streeter, war contractor, and husband of U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein), and Paul Wachter (Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger’s long-time business partner and financial advisor). The probability of conflicts of interest inside this committee—as it moves billions of dollars between public and private companies and investment banks—is enormous. While some of this mammoth cash exchange takes place in the sunlight of the public eye, much of it is done behind closed doors, and the regents decline to disclose the names and activities of many of their private equity investment partners. "Dark pool" investments of this type are not available to ordinary investors--you have to know someone who manages them--like Messrs. Blum or Wachter.

It is no accident that most of the appointed regents are multi-millionaires with little or no experience in education, but with tons of experience in making lucrative deals, often by leveraging public funds.

http://www.alternet.org/education/uc-regents-using-public-research-private-gain

quote:

Universities Selling Out Important Research to Corporate Overseers

UC Regents recently approved a new corporate entity that will likely give a group of well-connected businesspeople control over how academic research is used.

In a unanimous vote last month, the Regents of the University of California created a corporate entity that, if spread to all UC campuses as some regents envision, promises to further privatize scientific research produced by taxpayer-funded laboratories. The entity, named Newco for the time being, also would block a substantial amount of UC research from being accessible to the public, and could reap big profits for corporations and investors that have ties to the well-connected businesspeople who will manage it.

Despite the sweeping changes the program portends for UC, the regents' vote received virtually no press coverage.

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 18, 2013

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Willa Rogers posted:

Are you sure the ads aren't targeted to out-of-state students? I remember reading a couple years ago that UC had upped its OOS acceptance rate from 10 percent to 20 percent in a strategic move for budget purposes.

Since I doubt that out-of-state students listen to Slate's podcast lineup, I'd be willing to bet that it's meant more for business people (& possibly parents of out-of-state students) and certain federal funding agency employees and their ilk in a bid for funding.

Of course, I'm sure they'd love to accept more out-of-state people if it means fat stacks of cash from tuition. (This is the point of my post where I fess up to getting my CA residency via a loophole to get lower fees, but don't worry, working in the Knowledge Mines of graduate school has made up the difference.)

e:

I'm not sure what you're insinuating about LLNL, because not everything they do is for pew-pew MIC purposes. That said, ding ding ding, I think we've found the ad targets!

SporkOfTruth fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 18, 2013

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

SporkOfTruth posted:

I'm not sure what you're insinuating about LLNL, because not everything they do is for pew-pew MIC purposes.
It allows a lot of leverage coming from the DoE and the DoD on closed-door decision making. Like say appointing a Homeland Security shill to the UC.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

No one is upset the UC BoR will now have a mooslim?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=203022706

Shade2142
Oct 10, 2012

Rollin'

Hawkgirl posted:

Really? When i lived in Long Beach it seemed well-run. Then again I was using my Orange County, gently caress the poor experience to judge it. Care to elaborate?

There's a hospital in the center of LB, if you ever go to. Look out the window at all the urban sprawl/terrible city planning. There are nice neighborhoods and up-scale apartments(in odd places) that will look like orange county. In a low-income neighborhood, the streets are smaller and it'll look like someone tried to stuff as many homes/people as possible in the area. Those streets also suck to drive through when schools start/close.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Buffer Overflow
Sep 3, 2006
Interweb Addict

Shade2142 posted:

There's a hospital in the center of LB, if you ever go to. Look out the window at all the urban sprawl/terrible city planning. There are nice neighborhoods and up-scale apartments(in odd places) that will look like orange county. In a low-income neighborhood, the streets are smaller and it'll look like someone tried to stuff as many homes/people as possible in the area. Those streets also suck to drive through when schools start/close.

The more packed in areas are probably older developments. I live in a neighborhood in Norwalk that was developed in the late 40's and it has smaller houses packed closer together with narrower streets. Just a few blocks over the streets are much wider and the houses are bigger since it was developed later.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

No one is upset the UC BoR will now have a mooslim?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=203022706

:confused: The story you linked to said that "some Jewish students" had a problem with it.

No one in this thread cares what the student's religion is; we're more concerned about Napolitano, who has more power to draw more evil into the system than some random student serving on the board.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It doesn't say it in that article, but apparently that regent won't take her seat until July 2014.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-uc-regents-20130718,0,557537.story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

:confused: The story you linked to said that "some Jewish students" had a problem with it.

No one in this thread cares what the student's religion is; we're more concerned about Napolitano, who has more power to draw more evil into the system than some random student serving on the board.

Sorry, I was more generally mocking the "controversy". Also, its very ignorant to act like Napolitano is going to "draw more evil", the UC system has been a proud part of the American Evil-Industrial Research complex since the 40s.

• Locked thread