Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I dunno, I was just trying to find a way to make matchmaking more like tournament play, but maybe that isn't actually a desirable outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think you could solve the issue by adding a field in the matchmaking dialog that lets you set a target range of TV that you want to match each team against. The matchmaker could limit matches to only opponent teams within that range. Of course this could allow you to do something bad like take your 1800TV murder chaos and target 1000tv teams only, but that would only work if someone with a 1000tv team put in that they'd be willing to face teams up to 1800tv. If you sensibly limited the ranges for your teams you'd never face a horrible mismatch.

The game already has logic that does this with turn timing, so that you only get a 2minute match if that's in the range you've selected: if you pick 2minutes only and someone else picks 4 minutes only, your two teams cannot be matched regardless.

The main drawback would be that goblins and halflings might never get matches, if opponents always set their teams to have the minimum TV be just 100 or so below their current TV, so that might be a terrible flaw in this idea.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Honestly I am a literal monster and I'd love to see a Blood Bowl video game adaptation designed around being a Blood Bowl video game adaption and not just a straight 1 to 1 recreation of the board game. Sort of like a Mutant Football League that maintains the same sort of feel as Blood Bowl's rugby / soccer riot style of play and the focus on developing and customizing players while coping with a high mortality rate, and carrying out various insane shenanigans with a simple but robust series of mechanics. With Dwarf Fortress' medical/injury system.

Blitz mode is exactly how an idea like that would be implemented so whatever.

On a side note, I've played a lot of BB:CE, but I've never played the tabletop version of against a person. I've thought about playing against goons at least, but my reluctance on playing 1v1 multiplayer games with total strangers complements my wary attitude about a lot of the minmaxing TV shenanigans that go on. The way team balance goes all over the place as TV value changes is also a bit weird to me as well. I'd kind of wish the MM wasn't based so much on TV since, due to minmaxing, you can have two teams with the same TV and widely disparate actual playing ability. Its like a balancing method got turned into its own game which I find a lot less fun to play.

I'm also afraid that since I've only really played the AI that I'm going to start playing people and just get absolutely crushed forever by people that sit around with low TV teams. I've played as Lizardman, Skaven, and Underworld teams against the AI and I can only think I've got some clues about basic Bloodbowl play in terms of playing and countering passing/running/cage games, but then again... its the AI. Maybe I could just start playing as halflings so I'd always have that excuse to fall on. That or dwarves so I can make sure my opponents have as little fun as I have.

Then again, I'm just going by second hand accounts rather than any personal experience. Is it as bad as some people make it out to be?

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 8, 2013

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Honestly I am a literal monster and I'd love to see a Blood Bowl video game adaptation designed around being a Blood Bowl video game adaption and not just a straight 1 to 1 recreation of the board game. Sort of like a Mutant Football League that maintains the same sort of feel as Blood Bowl's rugby / soccer riot style of play and the focus on developing and customizing players while coping with a high mortality rate, and carrying out various insane shenanigans with a simple but robust series of mechanics. With Dwarf Fortress' medical/injury system.

Blitz mode is exactly how an idea like that would be implemented so whatever.

On a side note, I've played a lot of BB:CE, but I've never played the tabletop version of against a person. I've thought about playing against goons at least, but my reluctance on playing 1v1 multiplayer games with total strangers complements my wary attitude about a lot of the minmaxing TV shenanigans that go on. The way team balance goes all over the place as TV value changes is also a bit weird to me as well. I'd kind of wish the MM wasn't based so much on TV since, due to minmaxing, you can have two teams with the same TV and widely disparate actual playing ability. Its like a balancing method got turned into its own game which I find a lot less fun to play.

I'm also afraid that since I've only really played the AI that I'm going to start playing people and just get absolutely crushed forever by people that sit around with low TV teams. I've played as Lizardman, Skaven, and Underworld teams against the AI and I can only think I've got some clues about basic Bloodbowl play in terms of playing and countering passing/running/cage games, but then again... its the AI. Maybe I could just start playing as halflings so I'd always have that excuse to fall on. That or dwarves so I can make sure my opponents have as little fun as I have.

Then again, I'm just going by second hand accounts rather than any personal experience. Is it as bad as some people make it out to be?

I haven't yet come across a goon that would use a min-maxed low TV team against a new goon without being asked to. We love seeing new blood, and kicking your teeth in so hard it kills your interest in the game is counter-productive to that. If you check in IRC, you're bound to find someone with a newish team or that'd be willing to roll up a new one. Plus, if you get in on one of the tournaments as they start, it's guaranteed that everyone starts off on the same foot, but how well you manage a few games in depend pretty heavily on if you get off to a good start or not.

Unmoderated matchmaking (like Auld World or Naggaroth) is another story. There are people you'll come up against that are legitimately starting out new teams, but yeah, that's where you'll see the majority of min-maxed kill-squads. I can't say how saturated the leagues are with them, as I have only rarely played in the unmoderated leagues, but for what it's worth, of the matches I've played in them, I never got unlucky enough to get put up against a team I had no realistic chance against.

The third option is moderated public leagues. They can be useful for when you're in the mood for a matchup, but aren't having any luck finding a goon to play against. Of them, I've only played in the Forum Open League, and only for a few matches, but they at least crack down on players who disconnect the moment things start going poorly. The Forum Open League does require applicants to have played at least 10 matches, however, to make it a more hassle for people that've been kicked out to simply create a new account and re-apply.

In any case, I really wouldn't start out with one of the gimmick teams. You'll only end up making getting used to human players more frustrating on yourself.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 8, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

It's the goddamn worst thing ever and it will kill your will to live*. But the goons who play BB are pretty cool people and you'll learn quickly, and if you can stomach the curve it's a great game. Except for the block dice.

*Hyperbole**

**Run for your life.

Orv fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jun 8, 2013

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is this LP still relevant to the game? http://lparchive.org/Blood-Bowl/ Or is it too old to really give me the basics?

Oh hey that's the one in the OP :downs:

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jun 8, 2013

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Is chaos edition any good?
I played the legendary edition vs the computer but missed the community feel I got from Fumbbl so that's where I get my BB fix now days.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

MRLOLAST posted:

I played the legendary edition vs the computer but missed the community feel I got from Fumbbl so that's where I get my BB fix now days.

Chaos Edition is a glorified DLC. You get 3 new teams (Chaos Dwarves, Underworld, and Khorne), and like a new stadium or something. There's full compatibility between the two so you can keep playing Legendary VS Chaos Edition players.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

MRLOLAST posted:

Chaos edition is Legendary edition with three new races (Chaos Dwarves, Underworld and Khorne) and two (I think?) new pitches, and also a new single player mode. If you're only playing against the AI I'd dare to say it doesn't really add much content. If you want to play online only get it if you want to play the new races.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I have somehow run into a bizarre bug where all my menus behave like they're in slowmo. Like everything is moving about half as fast as usual, and the transitions in particular are pretty grating. :cyanide:

I sort of wish it'd stop doing this. I don't know whats causing it or why its persisting after I restart my game. Anyone else had a problem like this?

e: Also I'm still stalling on playing people in lieu of beating up the AI for shits and giggles. I dread the day I won't be able to have a 4str Horns CPOMB skaven blitzer run around murdering literally everything without my opponent actually doing anything to stop them. Its basically the only way I'm making this Underworld team work. That and abuse of a good thrower and goblins with diving catch/extra arms/two heads, which is more of the same sort of poo poo I'd never be able to get away with.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 15, 2013

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Underworld is not a top tier team, I hate the tiering system as much as everyone else but it's a fact in bloodbowl unless BB 2 allows modding or something totally insane and un-cyanide like.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I'm honestly not too interested in playing a top tier team against other people. "Oh boy I won because I have a better team than my opponent, maybe they should have picked a real race. :smug:"

Underworld is defiantly funhavers tier though, just from what I've seen. I can see where you could build your goblins and skaven to have some zany poo poo from the mutations, and if you get lucky with the doubles, you can actually run a pretty decent stunty elfbowl style team with a decent killer blitzers. Dauntless twoheaded goblins with strip ball are pretty funny, as are the more easily made prehensile tail/diving tackle and two head/twohand/big hand goblins. You could even try to make a passing warpstone troll to completely waste an expensive positional. Pity about the whole "everyone loves dying" thing, though.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
The problem is, against any kind of real team, your good goblins will get targeted by mighty blow blitzers or whatever and never make it to the second half, and getting one to three skills before it dies is pretty hard.

Joe Der Maus
Mar 19, 2007

mouseketeerous rex

Leperflesh posted:

They made Blitz Mode first. That was the game they made, and then they got sued by Games Workshop for ripping them off, but then they settled and the terms of the settlement were surprisingly generous: instead of being obliterated by punitive damages, they got the license to make the proper blood bowl game, with the caveat that they had to implement it according to the actual game rules, e.g., as a turn-based tactical game instead of whatever the gently caress you'd call Blitz Mode.

Huh. So that's how that went down.
I'm going to go make a real-time Battlefleet Gothic game. Games Workshop, I expect a court summons and a license soon.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I see no problems with this plan, and would welcome a BFG game!

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Washout posted:

The problem is, against any kind of real team, your good goblins will get targeted by mighty blow blitzers or whatever and never make it to the second half, and getting one to three skills before it dies is pretty hard.

Hence why I shall never play real teams. :smith:

e: And hell, after they're done pasting the goblins, its not like killing Skaven is that much more difficult. Its a sad team where losing a skaven lineman is actually sort of painful.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Do you guys have a list of skills that are recommended to be turned off auto-use? I keep on loving up and missing things.

I've been playing mostly match making on Nag, but that is getting more and more terrible every game, so I joined up on some leagues. Hopefully structured play will be better and make me not a terrible player (it won't). I'm just worried about being a fool and not turning important skills off.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

siggy2021 posted:

Do you guys have a list of skills that are recommended to be turned off auto-use? I keep on loving up and missing things.

I've been playing mostly match making on Nag, but that is getting more and more terrible every game, so I joined up on some leagues. Hopefully structured play will be better and make me not a terrible player (it won't). I'm just worried about being a fool and not turning important skills off.

Pretty much the only essential skill you need to set to "Always Ask" is Piling On. I think the only skills i have set to ask are Piling On, Wrestle, Fend, Sidestep and Stand Firm.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Multiple Block is also worth turning on "Always Ask", if you ever actually take it.

I like to have Wrestle on always ask, but it's annoying because any time anyone blocks that character, even if they don't get a Both Down result, it still waits for you to push okay.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

siggy2021 posted:

Honestly a better question would be what skills shouldn't be always ask. Most skills have an edge case where it's useful to have the choice. Take for example punting with a pass. If your player throwing the ball rolls an inaccurate pass, this is safe for what you are doing, but if you have the skill set to be automatically used, you could reroll into a 1 and fumble instead(17% chance).

There are some skills like dodge where the skill can never come back to bite you, and those are the ones you would want to leave to auto use.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

There are some skills like dodge where the skill can never come back to bite you, and those are the ones you would want to leave to auto use.

Even dodge has fringe cases involving surfing and complicated push chains.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Turning off dodge is nice if you dont want to get crowd surfed by a frenzy guy.
Edit: I can't even think of a skill you wouldn't want on ask. Even side step is useful on ask if you wanted to force your guy to get crowd surfed for some absurd reason.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 22, 2013

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

FoolyCharged posted:

Honestly a better question would be what skills shouldn't be always ask. Most skills have an edge case where it's useful to have the choice. Take for example punting with a pass. If your player throwing the ball rolls an inaccurate pass, this is safe for what you are doing, but if you have the skill set to be automatically used, you could reroll into a 1 and fumble instead(17% chance).

Having dodge set to ask lets you stop OTTD attempts and can save you from a crowdsurf. The really important skills to set to ask are wrestle and piling on because having those go off automatically can lose you the game.

Iretep posted:

Edit: I can't even think of a skill you wouldn't want on ask. Even side step is useful on ask if you wanted to force your guy to get crowd surfed for some absurd reason.

iirc Claw and Mighty Blow can both be set to ask for some reason, the only time you'd ever want to turn them off is when you need a guy you're punching to stay on the pitch for a chainpush. It's really funny because there's skills like Kick which are really useful to turn off sometimes but they're always on in cyanide.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Iretep posted:

Side step can be genuinely useful on ask for chain pushes, since that way you can still do them without covering all squares around your sidestepper.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Smart Car posted:

Side step can be genuinely useful on ask for chain pushes, since that way you can still do them without covering all squares around your sidestepper.

Side step is broken in cyanide during chainpushes, it only activates if the player you're punching has sidestep. If you chainpush a sidestepper he sometimes won't use the skill. I'm not sure what the activation case for it is, I've had it work on ottd chainpushes but more complicated ones to surf I've had it not turn on.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

uPen posted:

Side step is broken in cyanide during chainpushes, it only activates if the player you're punching has sidestep. If you chainpush a sidestepper he sometimes won't use the skill. I'm not sure what the activation case for it is, I've had it work on ottd chainpushes but more complicated ones to surf I've had it not turn on.

Yeah, Cyanide is all sorts of hosed up with sidestep on chain pushes. I've surfed my own side-step dudes because of it =/

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
DDDDDDDDDDDouble post!

Not technically Chaos Edition, but if y'all feel like playing some more league blood bowl we are starting up season 3 of Goon Fumbbl League here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3556963

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
So I recently decided to finally pick up Chaos Edition because watching CKnoor videos made me want to play Underworld for some reason. Is there something goofy with Chaos Edition and Blood Bowl Manager? It only seems to recognize the last game I played with Legendary, and I can't submit any matches that I played with Chaos.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

siggy2021 posted:

So I recently decided to finally pick up Chaos Edition because watching CKnoor videos made me want to play Underworld for some reason. Is there something goofy with Chaos Edition and Blood Bowl Manager? It only seems to recognize the last game I played with Legendary, and I can't submit any matches that I played with Chaos.

It's goofy in the sense that it can only import the last game played. If you want to import earlier games you'll have to play through the whole replay ingame and then import it into BB Manager.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Yeah, I know. I've tried that several times. These are also games that I just finished playing with BBM opened. The new replays are just not showing up.

Edit: I think I figured it out, you have to logout, reopen BBM, then select Chaos Edition on the login screen.

siggy2021 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 4, 2013

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I'm surprised to not see any posts in the thread while the game is on :steam: sale. Is it dead or not any good, or just a case of everyone who wants it already has it?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Richard M Nixon posted:

I'm surprised to not see any posts in the thread while the game is on :steam: sale. Is it dead or not any good, or just a case of everyone who wants it already has it?

It's good if and only if you play in private leagues with friends or goons. Playing in a season and playoff format like the Goonbowl is a blast.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
bbtactics started the Big Crunch league recently. It's a 50 person, 5 division perpetual league with promotion/relegation. Pretty fun so far, and has opened my eyes to how much more fun organized play is.

The league is full currently, but I'm sure with 50 people there will be some dropouts and they'll need backups.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Richard M Nixon posted:

It is dead or not any good.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There is an active Goonbowl (8) right now, which is in its playoffs. So look for a new Goonbowl in probably like a month or so.

There is an active playerbase; get games by getting on the IRC (#tgbloodbowl on synirc.net)

There is an open goon league, Giant Goon League. Put some teams in there and you can play pick-up games with other goons. Arrange games via IRC.

If you play in a public league, do it in Naggaroth rather than Auld World. You'll still play against mostly bashy teams, but at least they're not blatantly farmed like in Auld. (Auld allows you to put any team in regardless of TV/match record, so you can farm a team in a private league and then move it to Auld. So people do, a lot. Naggaroth only allows you to enter brand new teams, and has only matchmaking, so you can't pre-farm a team and if you want to play your friends you have to use matchmaker and maybe wind up in a game with someone else, which you can of course cancel, so you can still do it but it's a lot more of a hassle.)

A lot of us also check out cKnoor's live stream of bloodbowl on Fridays. Check out his youtube channel for recordings. Streaming is on twitch.tv/cknoor_ (with an underscore). There is also a cknoor community group on Steam, and through that, you can get in on another open league (Mr. Hadwick) and also there are tournaments and stuff.

So yeah, Cyanide blood bowl is still very much active and while the game has several irritating bugs that will never be fixed, and it doesn't have the Slann team, and it has some odd limitations regarding certain skills that you can't set to ask, and it is missing most of the star players... it's a lot more attractive than fumbbl and lots of us play it anyway for whatever reason.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Richard M Nixon posted:

Well here, I'll make a post.

I bought this off steam on sale. Now what team should I start with to learn the game :)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The classic starting teams are humans or orks, because they're fairly well rounded, full of the basics and don't encourage you to form many bad habits.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Ya, I'm going through the tutorial right now.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Orcs.

The general advice is, orks or humans. Actually make both (but orcs are a little easier). Both of these teams are solid, they start with a good range of positional players with decent stats, are not overly fragile (orcs are more durable than humans), and do not have a weird "gimmick" that will teach you bad habits.

Orcs are a little more bashy, and humans are a little more dodge-and-passy (also known as "elfy"). After you've played a few games with each team, you can decide if you prefer bashy play or elfy play, and from there, you can start trying out some of the other teams and have a better idea of how to be successful with them.

Also, play maybe two or three games against the AI, just to learn the controls (and read the manual, it is actually useful!) but after that, you need to play humans. Find a goon for some babby-games and don't worry about losing. If you keep playing the AI, you will learn terrible habits because it is terrible and will do idiotic things you should not emulate and it will reward you for doing bad things that you shouldn't do.

Another good place to start is bloodbowl LPs. I recommend cKnoor's bloodbowl LP, which is in the archive, and also all his videos are on youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Personally I would take the orcs because in addition to being well rounded their combination of high armor and starting skills tends to make them a fairly reliable team.

E: Also one thing that the tutorial doesn't hit on is how important the skills block and wrestle are. Those two skills make one of the most common actions in the game(blocking) safer by a fair margin, both when you do it and when you have it done to you.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 18, 2013

• Locked thread