Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kleptocracy
Feb 18, 2011

FABRICATI DIEM PVNC

That's it! Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Steve Yun posted:

Not a specific movie, but can anyone name movies where a criminal gets caught by the cops and then hired to do a job for them?

The wretched Blue Streak

Doctor_Acula posted:

So I have been watching Threads thanks to the thread on unnerving wiki's, and it made me think.

A few years ago I remember watching a movie on Netflix that was from the 70s/80s...and it was told in first person from the point of view of a nuclear warhead that got lost in shipping. I watched it while playing StarCraft, so my memory is hazy, but I think it was kind of tongue-in-cheek about what could happen if someone got ahold of a warhead that we didn't know about.

I thought it was directed by Richard Linklater, but I'm not turning up anything. I think the bomb had a name that it gave itself based on the printing on it's casing, like MARY or something similar. I've checked my Netflix instant queue (because I'm terrible and never clean it out) and am not finding it.

I tried looking at this list, but no luck.

Broken Arrow, but that's from the 90s
Fail Safe, possibly?
Dr. Strangelove (neither this nor Fail Safe are about a lost nuclear weapon per se, but are older than Broken Arrow and Dr. Strangelove fits the 'tongue-in-cheek' bit in a darkly ironic manner)

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
No, its none of those. I distinctly remember the narration was from the bomb itself.

Dr. Strangelove is great, though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Steve Yun posted:

Not a specific movie, but can anyone name movies where a criminal gets caught by the cops and then hired to do a job for them?

e: I thought you said the other way but Oblivion technically works.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Doctor_Acula posted:

No, its none of those. I distinctly remember the narration was from the bomb itself.

Dr. Strangelove is great, though.

A bit of a long shot but it has a talking nuclear weapon at least, Dark Star?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Star_%28film%29

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
I got it!
Bombs Away!

From Answers.com:
"In slapstick routines that somehow miss the mark, this erstwhile comedy is about an atomic bomb named M.A.R.Y. that is mistakenly delivered to an Army surplus store in Seattle, instead of its intended arsenal. Along its misguided way, the bomb pays a visit to the Seattle Space Needle and is dangerously mishandled. The premise of a wayward bomb sets everyone into paroxysms of jumping, running, shouting, and carrying on with a cab driver (Michael Huddleston) as a befuddled observer who also gets involved."

edit: "Military Armament Round, Yellow" - Mary :3:

Doctor_Acula fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 11, 2013

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I remember watching this movie on SBS about 10 years ago. The movie follows a detective who's hired to figure out why peoples heads are exploding, as it turns out everyone who has suffered this "Head-explode-itis" has previously had a brain tumor and their doctor had been putting worms in their head which didn't stop growing/exploded.

The personal climax for the detective is when he goes to a bar he frequents and finishes a whole jar of tequila worms from bottles he'd finished previously.

You think I'd have an easier time finding this movie with all the details I think I have.

E: It could be foreign language but I don't think it is...

Megabound fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 11, 2013

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Megabound posted:

I remember watching this movie on SBS about 10 years ago. The movie follows a detective who's hired to figure out why peoples heads are exploding, as it turns out everyone who has suffered this "Head-explode-itis" has previously had a brain tumor and their doctor had been putting worms in their head which didn't stop growing/exploded.

The personal climax for the detective is when he goes to a bar he frequents and finished a whole jar of tequila worms from bottles he'd finished previously.

You think I'd have an easier time finding this movie with all the details I think I have.

No idea but I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out David Cronenberg directed or produced it

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Megabound posted:

The personal climax for the detective is when he goes to a bar he frequents and finished a whole jar of tequila worms from bottles he'd finished previously.

It sounds a bit like Night of the Creeps.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Imasalmon posted:

It sounds a bit like Night of the Creeps.

That's not it, but now I have a fantastically (hopefully) bad movie to watch.

regulargonzalez posted:

No idea but I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out David Cronenberg directed or produced it

I don't think it's body horror enough for a Cronenberg. Not much deformity if I recall correctly but I did see it on public TV.

Thunderlips
Oct 25, 2002
Edit: Woops, didn't realize there was another page to go. Sorry.

Thunderlips fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 11, 2013

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
The quote just randomly came to me. "Getting off, GETTING OFF!"

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Megabound posted:

The personal climax for the detective is when he goes to a bar he frequents and finishes a whole jar of tequila worms from bottles he'd finished previously.

Head exploding stuff sounds like Scanners but not sure about the rest.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Megabound posted:

The Roly Poly Man.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Origami Dali posted:

The Roly Poly Man.

Beautiful, I had all but given up hope of tracking this one down! Thanks kindly.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I've got one confusing me. I'm pretty sure it's a show though, not a movie. That's still kosher, right?
All I have lying around is a couple of terrible pictures. I remember nothing of it except for it being incredibly corny. What's this show?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The guy in the first pic is Sebastian Spence, which means it's almost definitely Canadian. If that helps at all.

e: I think the bottom one is Josh Jackson and Spence was on Dawson's Creek. It might be Dawson's Creek

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 13, 2013

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
that would make a whole lot of sense! Thanks!

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
A quote popped into my head, and it's killing me that I can't remember what movie it's from (I'll probably smack myself when I figure it out). It's a family movie, probably from the early 90's, and there is a little girl who answers the door and is instructed to recite "everything is perfectly normal", to conceal that something strange is going on at home.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Bucswabe posted:

A quote popped into my head, and it's killing me that I can't remember what movie it's from (I'll probably smack myself when I figure it out). It's a family movie, probably from the early 90's, and there is a little girl who answers the door and is instructed to recite "everything is perfectly normal", to conceal that something strange is going on at home.

Premise sounds a little like "The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane" (1970s though) with a young Jodie Foster whose Dad is always away on business or sleeping or busy in the study when people come to visit their house.

It's on Netflix streaming and it's an excellent film well worth checking out even if it's not the film you're thinking of. Foster is outstanding, an early film where you can really see she has major acting ability, and Martin Sheen as a young man playing the creepy neighborhood pedo who wants to find out what's really going on with the little girl and her father. It's got a really spooky vibe and is well done, even though the opening credits make it look like a made for TV movie.

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 14, 2013

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Zwabu posted:

Premise sounds a little like "The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane" (1970s though) with a young Jodie Foster whose Dad is always away on business or sleeping or busy in the study when people come to visit their house.

It's on Netflix streaming and it's an excellent film well worth checking out even if it's not the film you're thinking of. Foster is outstanding, an early film where you can really see she has major acting ability, and Martin Sheen as a young man playing the creepy neighborhood pedo who wants to find out what's really going on with the little girl and her father. It's got a really spooky vibe and is well done, even though the opening credits make it look like a made for TV movie.

I don't think I've ever heard of it, but it sounds like something I might enjoy. Thanks for the recommendation!

Definitely not what I'm thinking of though. Mine is definitely in the late 80's / early 90's range because I can remember it coming out when I was pretty young. It's definitely a light-hearted sort of deal (I'm thinking something like Hook, or Honey I shrunk the Kids). I'm almost positive the "everything is perfectly normal" line is burned into my brain because it was shown in the trailer, as well as all commercials for the movie. There is also a scene where someone (I'm thinking the father of the little girl) is telling her what to say if someone comes to the door asking about what's going on. It's really killing me that it hasn't come to me yet.

Joey Gladstone
May 26, 2003

This is such a long shot kind of question, but my friend has the phrase "away all ghosts" in his head from something he saw as a kid. He says he remembers it as some kind of chant, but that is really all he knows. I've suggested that it might be him misinterpreting "away all boats" which is something, but he maintains that it was ghosts. He thinks it was on TV, but it could be anything.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
"He thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts?"

That's from IT, which had a TV Miniseries.

Starblind
Apr 4, 2007

Encomium in colour
This may or may not be a tough one:

All I'm 100% sure about is I was very young when I saw it, so probably pre-1987 or so, and at the very end a department store or mall blows up. I assume the store was the setting for most or all of the movie, but I'm not even sure of that much. Very possibly a TV movie. Might have been a thriller or light horror, but at that age I was too much of a wuss to watch a 'real' horror movie, so it isn't Chopping Mall or anything like that. I don't think it was a silly comedy either, but I'm not totally sure.

Not a lot to go on. What movies from 1970-1990 does a department store or mall blow up at the end?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

It could have been Phantom of the Mall: Eric's Revenge. See if any of that looks familiar. It is a horror but it wasn't really marketed as a "real" horror so you may have seen it. A bomb does go off at the end and the mall is destroyed.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

There's Batman Returns, but that was more in the middle

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TTBF posted:

It could have been Phantom of the Mall: Eric's Revenge. See if any of that looks familiar. It is a horror but it wasn't really marketed as a "real" horror so you may have seen it. A bomb does go off at the end and the mall is destroyed.

By the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DycuVNiz7Ms

ubermarcus
Mar 17, 2009
I'm thinking of an old fantasy movie, probably early 80s, which I saw on VHS as a kid. It had one of those generic fantasy art covers that had nothing to do with the actual movie.
The only scene I've always remembered is that a guy gets captured by a band of women (probably Amazons or something equally original) and they're trying to get information out of him.
The way they do that is they have him tied naked to the top of an oiled up pole, with a big wooden spike at the bottom, so that he's slowly sliding down to get impaled butt-first unless he gives them information.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

That might have been Deathstalker II but my memory on that is fuzzy. Can you remember if the guy also had to do a trial by combat in what appeared to be a modern wrestling ring with a gigantic woman?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I have part of a line of dialogue from a movie and I can't remember what the line is, or which movie it is from. I think it is something The Schofield Kid says in Unforgiven, but am not sure.

"I was just there, and I didn't see no goddamn [something]"

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

SkunkDuster posted:

I have part of a line of dialogue from a movie and I can't remember what the line is, or which movie it is from. I think it is something The Schofield Kid says in Unforgiven, but am not sure.

The Professional, maybe?

Leon: The Professional posted:

Mathilda: You don't have a pig in your kitchen.
Léon: Yes, I do.
Mathilda: I was just in there and I didn't see any goddamned pig.

Starblind
Apr 4, 2007

Encomium in colour

SkunkDuster posted:

"I was just in there and I didn't see any goddamned pig."
from Leon the Professional

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

That's it! For some reason, her tone of voice made me think it was The Schofield Kid.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Alright, I've got a scene from a cartoon stuck in my head and I need help finding where it's from. It's probably from the late 80s or early to mid-90s, and all I remember is the main character(?) biting into an unpeeled raw onion (possibly garlic) like it was an apple and blowing out the resulting cloud of terrible smelling breath as a weapon. Ring any bells?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

There was an episode of Sailor Moon where they exhaled garlic breath onto a vampire in order to weaken it. There isn't a biting into the garlic bulb though. The animation is originally from that time period but I don't know when the English dub got around to that episode.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
There was an episode of one of the Mario cartoons that had Bowser as Dracula I think, could have been in there. That cartoon used Italian food as weapons/motivation a lot.

DearYou41
Jun 14, 2013

Starblind posted:

This may or may not be a tough one:

All I'm 100% sure about is I was very young when I saw it, so probably pre-1987 or so, and at the very end a department store or mall blows up. I assume the store was the setting for most or all of the movie, but I'm not even sure of that much. Very possibly a TV movie. Might have been a thriller or light horror, but at that age I was too much of a wuss to watch a 'real' horror movie, so it isn't Chopping Mall or anything like that. I don't think it was a silly comedy either, but I'm not totally sure.

Not a lot to go on. What movies from 1970-1990 does a department store or mall blow up at the end?
Might be the ending of the original Class of Nuke'Em High.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

MrGreenShirt posted:

Alright, I've got a scene from a cartoon stuck in my head and I need help finding where it's from. It's probably from the late 80s or early to mid-90s, and all I remember is the main character(?) biting into an unpeeled raw onion (possibly garlic) like it was an apple and blowing out the resulting cloud of terrible smelling breath as a weapon. Ring any bells?

It's kind of a long shot, but there's a scene in the first Shrek where he bites into a raw onion, and around the same time he yells at Donkey and he makes a comment about how bad his breath is.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

So, this is kind of vague, but it's worth a shot. I'm remembering a movie, I think it had supernatural elements, and I remember there being a red room with some sort of Asian decor and a big spherical fish tank. The movie may have been about a private detective or someone in a trenchcoat, but I'm not certain about that. This movie was not The Prestige.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ubermarcus posted:

I'm thinking of an old fantasy movie, probably early 80s, which I saw on VHS as a kid. It had one of those generic fantasy art covers that had nothing to do with the actual movie.
The only scene I've always remembered is that a guy gets captured by a band of women (probably Amazons or something equally original) and they're trying to get information out of him.
The way they do that is they have him tied naked to the top of an oiled up pole, with a big wooden spike at the bottom, so that he's slowly sliding down to get impaled butt-first unless he gives them information.

This is a really cheesy one (that is hilarious and you must watch it again) called Sorceress:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlVIohXwDrY