Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Scott Bakula posted:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jun/14/rupert-murdoch-summer-contest-football

Rupert Murdoch wants to set up a summer tournament with matches in different cities around the world for the biggest European football teams. What a terrible idea if it goes through

What, like the Euros?

e: oh hang on around the world? he's mental

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

belgend posted:

What, like the Euros?

e: oh hang on around the world? he's mental

That was my first thought too. But is there any major team that doesn't tour in the summer already?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

s0meb0dy0 posted:

That was my first thought too. But is there any major team that doesn't tour in the summer already?
Yes but Rupert Murdoch doesn't make any money out of it yet.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Scott Bakula posted:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jun/14/rupert-murdoch-summer-contest-football

Rupert Murdoch wants to set up a summer tournament with matches in different cities around the world for the biggest European football teams. What a terrible idea if it goes through
Roop's wife just filed for divorce so he's probably dealing with the stress by coming up with delusional ideas.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Crazy Ted posted:

Roop's wife just filed for divorce so he's probably dealing with the stress by coming up with delusional ideas.

I imagine he's forseeing a future where his bank balance is 50% less so he wants to refill it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

serious gaylord posted:

I imagine he's forseeing a future where his bank balance is 50% less so he wants to refill it.

They signed a prenup anyway.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

They signed a prenup anyway.

He won't even need to worry about child support because the kids are Tony Blair's

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Hearts to go into administration within 24 hours

:pwn: The SPL continues its steady decline.

radge
Jan 21, 2005

Hearts have been inevitably going bust since Romanov came in. This isn't really connected to Rangers.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Scottish football is like the snake that eats its own tail.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Can't wait til the SPL is Celtic playing shirts vs. skins every week

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Swiss Ramble has updated again focusing on PL club profits and losses. Find out how bad your club is at doing business!

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/

Why (for what purpose) are Arsenal sitting on a mountain of of cash? Also, Liverpool don't give no poo poo about TV money.

General Probe fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 26, 2013

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

General Probe posted:

Swiss Ramble has updated again focusing on PL club profits and losses. Find out how bad your club is at doing business!

Why (for what purpose) are Arsenal sitting on a mountain of of cash? Also, Liverpool don't give no poo poo about TV money.

We won the league
In red and black
We won the league in red and black!
We won the making money title,
We won the league in red and black!

Yet another trophy confirmed for my beloved Arsenal. Who says we never win anything?

But seriously? We sat on that cash mountain both to offset debt incase of an emergency and so we can buy players cheap from struggling teams by offering cash up front. See cazorla.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

General Probe posted:

Why are Villa's debts so high? Is that just money owed to Lerner from investments in players and wages?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

General Probe posted:

No one really knows. It's pretty poor financial management to just be sitting on that much cash.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

Guitar_Hero posted:

Why are Villa's debts so high? Is that just money owed to Lerner from investments in players and wages?

the MON legacy, i'd imagine.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Lugano and three other players have reported Malaga over unpaid wages. Strange how that club just cant get its poo poo together.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Guitar_Hero posted:

AFAIK nearly all the money Lerner has given to the club has actually been in the form of low-investment loans, so basically yes.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I don't know if Liverpool are the only English club to go in this direction, but the club has been pushing a new kind of contract in order to avoid being burned as badly as it has in the past with flop transfers. The intent is to lower basic salaries while offering higher performance-related bonuses than before.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-change-player-contracts-3325019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
They just need to make sure they aren't related to things like scoring goals but league position and that kind of thing

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Anyone have any theories why Man City and Chelsea appear to be trying to meet the FFP rules while Monaco and PSG don't seem to give a gently caress?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Anyone have any theories why Man City and Chelsea appear to be trying to meet the FFP rules while Monaco and PSG don't seem to give a gently caress?

Monaco and PSG have only just started bribing UEFA so there's a grace period.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

CisSTAR 19 posted:

I don't know if Liverpool are the only English club to go in this direction, but the club has been pushing a new kind of contract in order to avoid being burned as badly as it has in the past with flop transfers. The intent is to lower basic salaries while offering higher performance-related bonuses than before.

Spurs have been using this contract structure for a few years now with a degree of success. Essentially a champions league spot is worth double the money which is one of the reasons why the Chelsea Champions League win hurt the platers so much.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I take your point, but PSG has only spent approximately 7M more euros this window than Man City (and that doesn't include Negredo and/or Jovetic). Monaco, on the other hand, is going bonkers.

edit:
http://www.soccernews.com/soccer-transfers/rest-of-europe-transfers/
http://www.soccernews.com/soccer-transfers/english-premier-league-transfers/

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Gigi Galli posted:

Monaco and PSG have only just started bribing UEFA so there's a grace period.

PSG don't even have to bother. Platini's son works for PSG

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Nobody cares about FFP. It was all just a prank on Wenger that got out of hand.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Skinty McEdger posted:

Spurs have been using this contract structure for a few years now with a degree of success. Essentially a champions league spot is worth double the money which is one of the reasons why the Chelsea Champions League win hurt the platers so much.

Wilshere, Walcotts, Ramsey and OXs new contracts from earlier this year were performance based too, which is part of the reason why it took so long to sign up Walcott iirc.

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"

CisSTAR 19 posted:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-change-player-contracts-3325019

That is supposedly what City are doing, with Navas, Fernandinho, and potentially Jovetic and Negredo all on meant to be on £70k/w-£85k/w, plus loads of bonuses for good performances. Obviously still huge amounts of money, but better than the previous situation where any new player went straight in at around the £150k/w mark.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

better than paying roque santa cruz 90k

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

mynameisjohn posted:

better than paying roque santa cruz 90k

He's gone

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

CisSTAR 19 posted:

Think it's a good thing overall, especially given how much has been overspent on wages of players who flopped so badly the past 10 years or so.

The challenge for a club like Liverpool vs say City structuring them this way is I could see Liverpool possibly missing out on transfer targets, especially in competitive deals like say Mickey Ryan and Dortmund, when the other club is flat out paying higher guaranteed wages. That plus the lack of CL football for the foreseeable future I think make this somewhat of a risky approach for a club where they're at today.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shitshow posted:

I take your point, but PSG has only spent approximately 7M more euros this window than Man City (and that doesn't include Negredo and/or Jovetic). Monaco, on the other hand, is going bonkers.

edit:
http://www.soccernews.com/soccer-transfers/rest-of-europe-transfers/
http://www.soccernews.com/soccer-transfers/english-premier-league-transfers/

Monaco have just gotten promoted so aren't in Europe at all right now though, so they've got another season or so to do some creative accounting/sign a ridiculously huge 'sponsorship' deal.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

vyelkin posted:

Monaco have just gotten promoted so aren't in Europe at all right now though, so they've got another season or so to do some creative accounting/sign a ridiculously huge 'sponsorship' deal.

Remember when someone said why don't you sell some super golden awesome tickets for like a million quid a pop and everyone laughed.
I believe they're going with that.

Funnier than simply paying the Platini family an enormous sum of money I suppose.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Are you ready for Red Bull Leeds United

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Oh boy :allears:

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

if they give us money for players I dont care what they rename about the stadium, but if they change most other things Ill cry

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

TelekineticBear! posted:

if they give us money for players I dont care what they rename about the stadium, but if they change most other things Ill cry
Considering what the company did with what is now Red Bull Salzburg, get ready to cry.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

TelekineticBear! posted:

I heard that Dietrich Mateschitz wants to ban both the punching and kicking of asian people

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Cunts of a feather

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Excellent research there.

quote:

The firm’s sporting interests away from football include a Formula 1 motor racing team.

• Locked thread