Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

DFu4ever posted:

EDIT: Even I'll admit the Wolverine mask would probably be the hardest mask I could think of to translate into live-action film.

How is the grim and grungy version of Wolverine any different from shaking things up for the film? They're both acknowledging the original design was goofy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
I'm still trying to wrap my head around as to how they are bringing Patrick Stewart back as Xavier considering the film takes place after the events which occurred in The Last Stand. Great to see Ian returning as Magneto though.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

AGirlWonder posted:

Oh, no. What is this?

(Clancy Brown should play every character in any superhero film.)
That or Michael Ironside

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Devour posted:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around as to how they are bringing Patrick Stewart back as Xavier considering the film takes place after the events which occurred in The Last Stand. Great to see Ian returning as Magneto though.

He's alive, in a hospital bed, in the after-credits scene.

Which is like the final nail of invalidation for just about every dramatic moment in the movie outside of Jean and Cyclops being dead.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

The Cameo posted:

He's alive, in a hospital bed, in the after-credits scene.

Which is like the final nail of invalidation for just about every dramatic moment in the movie outside of Jean and Cyclops being dead.

He had just transferred his consciousness to a new body so he shouldn't look identical, but I'm sure they will handwave it somehow.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Him and Magneto are both wearing some kind of battle harness in those shots, plus they look hard as hell - I'd bet those are from some alternate dystopian timeline.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Dacap posted:

He had just transferred his consciousness to a new body so he shouldn't look identical, but I'm sure they will handwave it somehow.

They could say he's always using his abilities to make him appear as he always did to people. Or they could...

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Continuity is not really an issue anyways, as soon as someone travels through time they can butterfly effect away anything that doesn't line up. I'm wondering if they're bringing Cyclops back this way and keeping it under wraps.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The original comic story is about an alternate future, Prof X and Mags are wearing some sort of armored suits, it's possible these guys are also from an alternate timeline.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Devour posted:

People were just complaining in this thread about comic book movies not being comic booky enough, lovely, half thought out explanations for why a dead character is suddenly alive again is par for the course in comics.

Edit: Also retcons, if this movie just retcons away X3, I'll be happy. Because even if this movie is terrible, I think it's going to be terrible in a good way, instead of terrible in a boring way like X3.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah I would have to think that something will happen that screws up the timeline and creates the dystopian Days of Future Past, which is where those suits come from.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

wyoming posted:

How is the grim and grungy version of Wolverine any different from shaking things up for the film? They're both acknowledging the original design was goofy.

The picture I posted is actually not far off from the brown costume Wolverine wore for years. It isn't based off the yellow one.

Yet, at a glance, it's still completely recognizable as Wolverine's costume. Being faithful to the source doesn't require 100% accuracy. The Marvel and Spider-Man movies, Batman and Superman movies...they've all been visually faithful to their source material without being obsessively accurate spandex jumpsuits.

X-Men is really the only one that avoided using the aesthetics of the comics, instead just choosing black leather for everyone. I'll give First Class some credit for deviating a bit.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Most everything I've seen / heard about Days of Future Past has me pretty excited, but why the hell did Singer have to bring back John Ottman to do the score?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

DFu4ever posted:

The picture I posted is actually not far off from the brown costume Wolverine wore for years. It isn't based off the yellow one.

Yet, at a glance, it's still completely recognizable as Wolverine's costume. Being faithful to the source doesn't require 100% accuracy. The Marvel and Spider-Man movies, Batman and Superman movies...they've all been visually faithful to their source material without being obsessively accurate spandex jumpsuits.

X-Men is really the only one that avoided using the aesthetics of the comics, instead just choosing black leather for everyone. I'll give First Class some credit for deviating a bit.
I think what makes the X-men a little different is that they are supposed to be this cohesive team where as they usually all have varying costumes with some often shared themes (Blue, yellow, Xs) in the comics. It all kind of makes sense with the X-men living in a world with the Avengers, but less sense when they are the only superheroes. It's not like they fully avoided the aesthetics of the comics. Magneto is pretty close to his comics counterpart. Storm has had those little wing things. Wolverine has his hair.

With the said, the leather outfits of the original films have aged terribly in my mind, and I wish the films always had the yellow-blue suits from First Class because they look great.

EDIT: I also like the Sentinel head. It looks like something that was designed to look friendly to others. It also reminds me a bit of X-Men: Evolution's Sentinel design.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 19, 2013

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Supreme Allah posted:

Early early impressions of The Wolverine have been generally positive but not effusive

It's at 83 percent on RT with 6 reviews in

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_wolverine_2012/

I know, early RT scores are always building up hopes just to shatter them on the rocky shores. It sounds like a decent movie.

(Don't tell me to not post RT scores if you don't like them don't click on the link and ignore the post gently caress head)

I saw it not even twenty four hours ago and already most of what I saw has faded. It's better than the first one but not by much. The kiddy-friendly rating really gimped the action sequences and the script has some godawful dialogue, not to mention three scenes in a row which explain the exact same thing. :smith:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

rejutka posted:

I saw it not even twenty four hours ago and already most of what I saw has faded. It's better than the first one but not by much. The kiddy-friendly rating really gimped the action sequences and the script has some godawful dialogue, not to mention three scenes in a row which explain the exact same thing. :smith:

Whelp. I guess that's that. drat YOU ARONOFSKY!

I guess Logan won't be...healing...from this disaster. See what I did there?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

wyoming posted:

The original design looks goofy NOW, but it was made in the 1970's. Many comics originated 40-50 years ago, where their origins and visuals and stories were very appropriate for the times, but don't hold up now, and have gone through various changes as time has gone on and tastes and trends have changed.

The people making the X-Men movies don't seem to give a poo poo about any of that though. That's the difference.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Gatts posted:

Whelp. I guess that's that. drat YOU ARONOFSKY!

I guess Logan won't be...healing...from this disaster. See what I did there?

It's not dire. Bits of it are dire, bits of it are atrocious, some bits are good. It's just very under-whelming and seriously hamstrung by that stupid rating.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It's starting to look like it, but I really hope Patrick Stewart-Xavier gets a much more active role in this movie. His character was just so weird in the Last Stand, when they were trying to make him kind of ambiguous, and that left a bad taste. I'd love to see Xavier leading the team in the field.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This happened at the Comic-Con panel for Riddick.

quote:

When Diesel asked for one final question during the Riddick panel, a fan stepped up to the microphone and said, "It seems like every movie you're in, you become the face of that franchise, so I'm wondering, I guess the word is Vision? What's your Vision of the upcoming Marvel movies?"

Diesel laughed, "Why did I have to go ahead and say, 'Ask the question'? He asked the one question I'm not allowed to say anything about. Well, I will say there is some very big news coming at the end of this month."

As the audience cheered, Diesel added, "Poor Marvel."

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Poor Marvel?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

In a shocking turn of events, Vin Diesel signs up with Warner Bros. instead. Vin Diesel is... Vibe!

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

BIG news? GIANT news perhaps?

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

I am betting if they go big it'll be Wonderman, he is easy to set up but if you go the Vision route I feel it'd need at least two movies to set up with the creation of Ultron, Ant-man, then have Vision show up. Wonderman can be a freak accident then kablam super hero, hell make him a celebrity already and Vin Diesel doesn't have to do much, please God have him grow out his hair it is amazing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

DFu4ever posted:

EDIT: Even I'll admit the Wolverine mask would probably be the hardest mask I could think of to translate into live-action film.

Here's the best version I've seen of the mask:

A bit goofy, but it gives a pretty good idea what a well done version might be in the vein of. And I would love to see a version of this costume done by a professional for the screen:

It looks quite a bit like the First Class suits but without the texture.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 20, 2013

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well if that is true about Vin Diesel not going to Marvel, I'd say that it'd probably be him as Martian Manhunter or Black Adam just based on that comment of Poor Marvel.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I want him to play Marvel's non-copyright infringing Professor Zavier.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vin is probably Thanos in Avengers 2.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

Hopefully they tap him to voice Groot as well.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rhyno posted:

Hopefully they tap him to voice Groot as well.

And Darkseid for WB's Justice League. Then he'll be Apocalypse in Fox's next X-Men movie. Vin is being tapped for every superhero movie. Ever.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hollis posted:

Well if that is true about Vin Diesel not going to Marvel, I'd say that it'd probably be him as Martian Manhunter or Black Adam just based on that comment of Poor Marvel.

He was actually called to a meeting with Marvel recently. His comment probably means that there is going to be a lot of rumors about what Diesel is doing at Marvel and it might be that he is playing someone that nobody expects (or it's a secret that's not really a secret anymore).

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Vin said today at the Riddick panel that Marvel was going to have a huge announcement that involves him soon.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Hollis posted:

Because that Justice League movie is RIGHT around the corner, yeah? :laffo:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Here's the best version I've seen of the mask:

That looks ridiculous. If that's the best then they're wise to stay a million miles away from it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

GonSmithe posted:

Vin said today at the Riddick panel that Marvel was going to have a huge announcement that involves him soon.

He'll be cast as Pietro. He'll be fast and furious. Literally.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

DFu4ever posted:

I'm really confused what you mean by this, it's almost exactly the same as the picture I posted, from the goofy ears to the winged booties. The only difference is it's gone from looking like a comic book, to some ugly brown thing. It's really brown and goofy looking.

If you like how Wolverine looks in the comics then whatever, comics embrace the ridiculous, I dig it. But are you really going to tell me you're upset that Hugh Jackman isn't running around in yellow jammies?

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

wyoming posted:

I'm really confused what you mean by this, it's almost exactly the same as the picture I posted, from the goofy ears to the winged booties. The only difference is it's gone from looking like a comic book, to some ugly brown thing. It's really brown and goofy looking.

If you like how Wolverine looks in the comics then whatever, comics embrace the ridiculous, I dig it. But are you really going to tell me you're upset that Hugh Jackman isn't running around in yellow jammies?

First, no I don't want Hugh Jackman running around in the costume. Fox lucked out with him being ridiculously charismatic in the role and he's made it his own. If they ever rebooted the X series then yes, I'd want them to give all the outfits a decent shot.

And second, Wolverine's suits over the years share a lot of similarities, but are different enough to remember as distinctly different uniforms. In some cases its just different color schemes. In some cases the mask is done differently (which is the big difference, along with the completely different color scheme, between the two pics we posted). There have been a number of variations to it, but that happens with most characters.

Basically, if Batman can work on screen I believe Wolverine could work as well. :shrug:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

teagone posted:

And Darkseid for WB's Justice League. Then he'll be Apocalypse in Fox's next X-Men movie. Vin is being tapped for every superhero movie. Ever.

No, not Apocalypse.

...I need to hear him say a few lines, first. Then maybe.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Freakazoid_ posted:

No, not Apocalypse.

...I need to hear him say a few lines, first. Then maybe.

He is the greatest villain in comic book history.

Dude had an entire and highly entertaining age named after him.

I know Thanos and Darkseid and Galactus (not a villain), and Dr. Doom and Joker and whatever other guys have their little cliques of fans that think they are the best. They are incorrect because Apocalypse is the best.

HE IS THE ROCKS OF THE ETERNAL SHORE. CAST AGAINST HIM AND BE BROKEN.

You can't even consider loving with that.

Supreme Allah fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

Timby posted:

I don't think Vin would sign up to play a purely CGI character, doesn't seem like his style.

• Locked thread