Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
failedninja
Nov 29, 2008

onepixeljumpman posted:

It's not like extremely intelligent toddlers/babies are new to this series. Actually, if someone comes to help Yasuho and Tsurugi goes all baby on us as cover, we may end up having a parallel.

No, re-read the latest chapter. I think the old text was just a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I love how Tsurugi goes reverse basic instinct on Yasuho.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

failedninja posted:

No, re-read the latest chapter. I think the old text was just a mistake.

Fair enough. I just sort of glossed over that family tree. You think that's a translation error or Araki changing his mind?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

onepixeljumpman posted:

Fair enough. I just sort of glossed over that family tree. You think that's a translation error or Araki changing his mind?

It wasn't a translation error. The offending panel was changed in the tankoubon release to say 9.

edit: cf.

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 20, 2013

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

No Mods No Masters posted:

It wasn't a translation error. The offending panel was changed in the tankoubon release to say 9.

edit: cf.

Which just makes it SUPER WEIRD that he's so short and being carried like that.

But it's JoJo so that's par for the course.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I believe you mean "she." Check your privilege.

As for the comic, I really like that Tsurugi was suddenly wearing shades as a background detail, then took them off again just as quickly. It kind of reinforces the idea that the kid has an agenda that doesn't concern, but still interacts with, Yasuho's presence in the room. That's either me reading into things too much or SKILLZ.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

There is something just so unsettling about Jojolion compared to the earlier volumes.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/183366/jojos-bizarre-adventure-part-8-jojolion_ch23_by_daga-kotowaru/23

Didn't this kind of thing happen in Dragon: The Bruce Lee story? Not going so far as to raise a boy as a girl for 12 years, but like giving a boy a girl's name to hide it from an evil demon. Is that a cultural thing in the east or just a one off thing the movie did?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Terror Sweat posted:

There is something just so unsettling about Jojolion compared to the earlier volumes.

It's been pretty unsettling since Josuke was found lying naked in the wreckage of an earthquake-induced upheaval and the mention of WALL EYES.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So... that picture of a car... was from 1938.

Oh my god we're gonna learn about alternate-Joseph eventually!

As for the events of this chapter... Jojolion is wonderfully bizarre. That's all. If all the parts I think it best lives up to the "bizarre adventure" part of the title... and the last part was about a horse race across 19th century America to find the pieces of the corpse of Christ.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

JDRockefeller posted:

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/183366/jojos-bizarre-adventure-part-8-jojolion_ch23_by_daga-kotowaru/23

Didn't this kind of thing happen in Dragon: The Bruce Lee story? Not going so far as to raise a boy as a girl for 12 years, but like giving a boy a girl's name to hide it from an evil demon. Is that a cultural thing in the east or just a one off thing the movie did?

It's a cultural thing. My parents are Chinese, and I can remember my mom telling me about some hairstyle that quite a few boys used to adopt so that they'd "appear" to be girls. The idea was that for some reason if evil spirits or whatever targeted your family, they'd go for the most important people (sons) and would just gently caress off if the family had all girls. For some reason, I'm thinking it was queues, but wikipedia doesn't have any mention of that and says it's from Manchuria, so I guess it's something else. The idea definitely is cultural, but more for very traditional families.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

So I quit reading partway into Stone Ocean, but after getting into Part 8 I've decided to catch up on what I missed to help with the waiting. I was gonna post something like like "drat, F.F. Is getting maimed like whoa" but seeing what Annasui did to Kenzo pushed me over the edge into pure :stonk:.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Stone Ocean is great. I'm partway through the last volume, and right now it may be my favorite part so far.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Stone Ocean's really good, but it suffers a lot from having a really unbeatable villain.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
compared to part 4 the villains are like balsa wood.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I just finished Stone Ocean.
What the gently caress just happened.

I mean, I know there's an alternate timeline now, but those last few chapters were a bunch of weird bullshit that I couldn't make sense of. And people say King Crimson is confusing? :confused:

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
The ending of Stone Ocean is pretty tame as far as confusing Jojo bullshit goes. What didn't you get?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

mikeycp posted:

I mean, I know there's an alternate timeline now, but those last few chapters were a bunch of weird bullshit that I couldn't make sense of. And people say King Crimson is confusing? :confused:

My understanding was the priest used stairway to heaven to accelerate time till the universe restarted itself in a slightly different configuration. If things had gone as Dio wanted at pucchi hadn't been killed before stairway completed its work, the world would have effectively been recreated in Dio's image. The people who died while the universe was resetting are not in the universe at all anymore, but similar people have been born that fill their shoes somewhat.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

mikeycp posted:

It's pretty simple. Pucci's not a complicated dude, his stands are much more simple than say, Diavolo's. Basically what Pucci did was spin around the world so fast, he basically caused it to reset and start a new timeline, he was going to keep doing this until the Joestar bloodline had been wiped out and then the world will have become Dio's heaven as he saw fit. ...Oh and Rohan Kishibe makes his loving deadline, time speed up or no.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Oh. So that would mean that Josuke is the only one from the bloodline that's still around in that timeline, right? And Giorno kinda somehow too?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Hmm. According to the family tree in Jojolion, everyone from Johnny to Holly had a direct duplicate. But instead of Jotaro, Holly's son was Kira. If that's only because of something that happened to Jotaro during the reset, it's theoretically possible that there is still a Josuke who is Joseph's son.

Oh man, Double Josuke, all the way. Great!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I would pretty much accept it if Giorno's overpowered stand meant he survived into the new universe, if only because I thought he had potential and I'd like to see a non-boring take on him.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Maremidon posted:

I would pretty much accept it if Giorno's overpowered stand meant he survived into the new universe, if only because I thought he had potential and I'd like to see a non-boring take on him.

GER constantly resets him to a point before Stairway warped him through time.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Pucci also said something about everyone in the new universe knowing everything that would ever happen to them. Did this not happen when he died?

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

mikeycp posted:

Pucci also said something about everyone in the new universe knowing everything that would ever happen to them. Did this not happen when he died?

From what I remember, we only see that manifest one time in a guard at the prison, and it's very weird. He trips and falls, but before that happens, he sees a vision of him falling over. So everyone has memories of their life progression from the time with Stairway, but it works more like brief precognition.

I don't remember what it is about killing Pucci that causes the universe to reset itself so that everything only has vague similarities rather than being exactly the same universe except for people who are killed by Pucci before the fast forward.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

onepixeljumpman posted:

From what I remember, we only see that manifest one time in a guard at the prison, and it's very weird. He trips and falls, but before that happens, he sees a vision of him falling over. So everyone has memories of their life progression from the time with Stairway, but it works more like brief precognition.

I don't remember what it is about killing Pucci that causes the universe to reset itself so that everything only has vague similarities rather than being exactly the same universe except for people who are killed by Pucci before the fast forward.

From what I understand, it wasn't just brief precognition. A person knew their entire life before they lived it. The explanation was that since time was fast forwarded and ran its course until reset, every person had already lived their life and their spirit remembered the experience. Pucci felt that since people now knew their entire fate, good or bad, they would gain resolution to face it and be happy. Pucci also said he was the only exception, probably because it was his own stand and isn't effected by sped up time.

Also, Pucci had stopped the reset before it fully finished. He wanted to make sure that he killed Emporio before the reset completed, because even without Joylne, Emporio was fated to escape the prison and may try and kill him. Finally, he warned that if he was killed before the reset completed, the effect would not stay permanent, and would probably change the future too. He even said so long as it was after the reset, he was fine with dying, but otherwise all his work would have been for nothing.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

HitTheTargets posted:

Hmm. According to the family tree in Jojolion, everyone from Johnny to Holly had a direct duplicate. But instead of Jotaro, Holly's son was Kira. If that's only because of something that happened to Jotaro during the reset, it's theoretically possible that there is still a Josuke who is Joseph's son.

Oh man, Double Josuke, all the way. Great!

Holly married the old man in the picture instead of that unknown random japanese dude. So her son is the alternate universe serial killer.

Without the ripple, I doubt Joseph would have maintained his youthful vitality to cheat on his wife when hes an old man.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

JDRockefeller posted:

From what I understand, it wasn't just brief precognition. A person knew their entire life before they lived it. The explanation was that since time was fast forwarded and ran its course until reset, every person had already lived their life and their spirit remembered the experience. Pucci felt that since people now knew their entire fate, good or bad, they would gain resolution to face it and be happy. Pucci also said he was the only exception, probably because it was his own stand and isn't effected by sped up time.

That's what it's supposed to be, yes. It's just that the only time we ever see the way that affects your average person, it's a prison guard that sees a vague vision of him tripping and falling before he trips and falls. It's probably because the memories of your full life that you have because of Stairway are subconscious, and people will have a vague understanding of the things that will happen to them so that they aren't surprised or really effected by it.

JDRockefeller posted:

Also, Pucci had stopped the reset before it fully finished. He wanted to make sure that he killed Emporio before the reset completed, because even without Joylne, Emporio was fated to escape the prison and may try and kill him. Finally, he warned that if he was killed before the reset completed, the effect would not stay permanent, and would probably change the future too. He even said so long as it was after the reset, he was fine with dying, but otherwise all his work would have been for nothing.

Mostly. He actually makes a full loop that puts everything back to right around the time Jotaro is visiting Jolyne in the prison. That's why Emporio sees that Jolyne and Jotaro that aren't really Jolyne and Jotaro. Emporio was the same person because he wasn't killed at the battle at Cape Canaveral like Pucci probably thought. He started another loop because he needed to kill Emporio because of why you said.

onepixeljumpman fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 24, 2013

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
The impression I got is that the universe that was made after Pucci died is not like the one he would have made with Made in Heaven at all. Jolyne and Jotaro were replaced with vaguely similar people in the universe that Pucci made, but their second replacements that we see in the ending look (and mostly act) identical.

This is just speculation and it might be kind of nonsensical, but I think the idea is in the JJBA setting, the universe (and Earth, and humanity) are going to go through that cycle again and again. So even if Pucci hadn't done anything, trillions of years after parts one through six take place and after that planet has died off, there will be another Earth and the story will happen again, but not the exact same way. When Pucci used Made in Heaven, he ended the current cycle and then replaced the next cycle with a copy of the current one. But when Emporio killed him, the universe "snapped back" to what it would have been if he hadn't interfered, and everyone was properly replaced or reincarnated. So I don't believe that Josuke, Giorno, or any of the old characters aside from Emporio actually exist in the world we see at the end of part 6.

I also don't believe that the world at the end of part 6 is the same one parts 7 and 8 take place in. I think Araki ended part 6 the way he did so he could wipe the slate clean and leave that continuity behind.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's possible Part 7 takes place before the world that's in Part 6 what with the motor vehicles and whatnot, but that's getting into another world of speculation. That being said I think it's pretty possible they exist in the same universe as the one at the end of Part 6. Araki is really adamant to keep everything connected, there's no reason for it to change with Part 7.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Except that Jojolion takes place around the same time as Stone Ocean and presumably the end of it did, and the entire Joestar family since then has been laid out with no Irene. Assuming that the star birthmark is exclusive to the Joestar line and barring any sort of extended family shenanigans, they're different.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Except that Jojolion takes place around the same time as Stone Ocean and presumably the end of it did, and the entire Joestar family since then has been laid out with no Irene. Assuming that the star birthmark is exclusive to the Joestar line and barring any sort of extended family shenanigans, they're different.

I'm guessing the person Kira was fused with to create Jo2uke was named Kujo, and Irene is Jo2uke's future daughter.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh right, I completely forgot Irene had the birth mark on the back of her neck, my bad.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
The Axe Cop animated show started up - there's not really any Jojo references hidden in the current episode, but I managed to sneak Zeppeli into an episode they previewed at comic con. ;)

First episode to air is here - also the first episode I worked on: http://www.foxadhd.com/#!/shows/axecop?show=7

I'm always looking for opportunities to insert hidden jokes in the show - including Jojo references. They're pretty open about letting me do that.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I don't imagine anything from JoJo would look out of place in the background of that show.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

mikeycp posted:

I don't imagine anything from JoJo would look out of place in the background of that show.

Not a bit. ;)

Today I managed to insert Akira Otoishi (red hot chili pepper) and also Musashi Gundou (most hilariously bad anime ever made) into the background...along with several other recognizable characters.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Spacedad posted:

Not a bit. ;)

Today I managed to insert Akira Otoishi (red hot chili pepper) and also Musashi Gundou (most hilariously bad anime ever made) into the background...along with several other recognizable characters.

You're doing God's work. The age of animation having silly background jokes didn't die with the 90s!

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Nope.

Also, I had to do some wee drawing fixes on one of the backgrounds that included the 'boss' characters from street fighter 2. (Balrog, Sagat, Vega, Bison.) For some reason Sagat was drawn with a shirt. (Had to remove that and a shoe.) The animator had labeled them on their flash layers all with their respective SF names so it was immediately obvious and intentional though.

Sadako from Ringu also makes an appearance in that shot.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 26, 2013

failedninja
Nov 29, 2008
I really enjoyed that, so thanks for doing what you do, Spacedad. Looking forward to the references.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks!

For practice, I'm actually working on a character model for Jotaro (in the style of the show) that I hope to get permission to insert into a crowd shot in the future.

Also the episode I'm talking about has some *original* villain characters that make brief appearances, but were so fun to pick colors for for me that I hope they show up again or get their own episodes. Look for the glow-in-the-dark vampire ninja. ;)

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 26, 2013

• Locked thread