Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

mlmp08 posted:

They should award you a bonus million lions when you shoot down [MLP] Brony_Rus in HB. :feelsgood:

Award: Fighter, Award: Bulletproof, Award: Service To Humanity

This could also apply to jerks in cannon-heavy fighters who spend half the game camping at 7km just waiting to ruin your day as a bomber. I might be biased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

So has there been any mention of a proper clan wars functionality? I wonder if they'd make that a possibility in any future combined arms modes. Oh the possibilities. :allears:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Droid posted:

So has there been any mention of a proper clan wars functionality? I wonder if they'd make that a possibility in any future combined arms modes. Oh the possibilities. :allears:

It was stated from the very beginning, that clans will compete in global war for territories. The problem is that this global war thing is, confirmedly, coming only after ships. So that is most likely to be next summer or autumn.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

So as I rank up do I want to use older planes to keep getting xp or should I always be replacing my planes with the latest and greatest models?

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Speaking of fuel, I've never tried it, but it appears that the amount of fuel carried can be altered. Is that true, and if so does the game take the difference in weight into account?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Clarence posted:

Speaking of fuel, I've never tried it, but it appears that the amount of fuel carried can be altered. Is that true, and if so does the game take the difference in weight into account?

I don't think it takes it into account much. In arcade you never really run afoul of your fuel amount unless you've taken extensive enough battle damage that you have a massive fuel leak (which usually means you're about to crash anyways). In historical battle it's of much more importance because if you don't take a full load of fuel you'll have about 5 minutes of loiter/dogfighting time in fighters generally after a 10 minute flight to the combat area and a 10 minute return.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

randombattle posted:

So as I rank up do I want to use older planes to keep getting xp or should I always be replacing my planes with the latest and greatest models?

Whatever's more fun to you. The higher tier planes usually have a higher reward percentage though.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Why wouldn't I want to use the high level planes then for more xp?

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
Higher repair cost after you use up your 10 freebies. Margins get slimmer. You have to be performing better

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Plus matches take longer to find, and are often only half the people in them.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
And everything has cannons that will kill you in two hits.

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

Don't forget the jets that immediately mangle you. :shepface:

It doesn't happen all that often but still, I've been in my tier 10's in the USSR with my P-63, Yak-3 as the 10s and a mix of things down to 7. MiG-9 decides my Pe-2 was a tasty treat.

BillyJoeBob fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 21, 2013

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

So if all my crews are in low tier planes I only fight other low tier planes? That makes a lot of sense as to why I'm suddenly fighting way higher level people.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
fuel affects the flight characteristics of planes, always take the least you can, even in arcade.

Try flying a plane with a full load then minimum in test flight, you'll notice it.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
How do folks like the 109 G-6? I can't decide if I wanna drop silver on it. I like the G-2 and F-4 a ton but I think it's their relative nimbleness that gives them their edge, and I don't know if I'd like flying the heavier, later models. Also, I'm flying in rank 13-14 matches already and the F-4 is still competitive against the pubs, so why deal with that 12k repair cost

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Keket posted:

fuel affects the flight characteristics of planes, always take the least you can, even in arcade.

Try flying a plane with a full load then minimum in test flight, you'll notice it.

Don't take minimum in HB, unless min is 30+ minutes. It sucks to have 20 minutes of fuel, and burn 10 minutes of it within the first 6 minutes of climbing.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Yeah i should of added that, sucks using 10 mins of fuel just to get to a battle, then more just to get back to r&r.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
It's nice to get a bonus for playing my favorite plane.

Nitevision posted:

How do folks like the 109 G-6? I can't decide if I wanna drop silver on it. I like the G-2 and F-4 a ton but I think it's their relative nimbleness that gives them their edge, and I don't know if I'd like flying the heavier, later models. Also, I'm flying in rank 13-14 matches already and the F-4 is still competitive against the pubs, so why deal with that 12k repair cost

Every 109 is loving awesome. The G-6 used to be the best in the game until the economy patch came out. Everyone that bought the later 109s before the patch are enjoying their free 3 cannon mounts :smug: but if you buy it now, the grind to unlock them is silly long and expensive. Also, the G-6 has a pretty wonky repair rate now, I think due to the fact that it was flown so much pre-patch because it was clearly op. Now, it's best to probably just buy it as a stepping stone onto the later 109s.

Thief fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 21, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
So I've been playing some Historical Battles...2 matches total. Really enjoyed it, scratched my itch a lot better than Arcade. On the third match I ever played Historical, maybe my 9th match overall in my career, it put my, and a bunch of other lowbies, rank 1 biplane into a battle against BF-109s who proceeded to blast us all out of the sky and some dude named WingmanJeeves literally spammed chat laughing about it.

I put up a pretty good fight but I got BnZd like crazy by like 4 people. I was the last of my teammates to get shot down...not a real testament to my skill since the fight lasted 3 minutes once we made contact. What a miserable experience.

I don't play games where I fly for 10 minutes to get shot down in 3 minutes by outranked players who think that poo poo is funny. That's garbage. Not real happy with this game right now. I thought that at least it would have the courtesy to keep me with people near my own rank. That's the kind of experience that makes me want to quit games and never come back.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 21, 2013

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

So I've been playing some Historical Battles...2 matches total. Really enjoyed it, scratched my itch like no other. On the third match I ever played Historical, maybe my 9th match overall in my career, it put my, and a bunch of other lowbies, rank 1 biplane into a battle against BF-109s who proceeded to blast us all out of the sky and some dude named WingmanJeeves literally spammed chat laughing about it.

I put up a pretty good fight but I got BnZd like crazy by like 4 people. I was the last of my teammates to get shot down...not a real testament to my skill since the fight lasted 3 minutes once we made contact. What a miserable experience.

I don't play games where I fly for 10 minutes to get shot down in 3 minutes by outranked players who think that poo poo is funny. That's garbage. Not real happy with this game right now. I thought that at least it would have the courtesy to keep me with people near my own rank. That's the kind of experience that makes me want to quit games and never come back.

Matchmaker is really terrible when there's only a few people playing. I've had my rank 6 matched up against jets.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

jaegerx posted:

Matchmaker is really terrible when there's only a few people playing. I've had my rank 6 matched up against jets.

What a shame. Thanks for letting me know. Is there any way to tell if you are in an over ranked game before you waste time flying to the mission area?

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 21, 2013

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

What a shame. Thanks for letting me know. Is there any way to tell if you are in an over ranked game before you waste time flying to the mission area?
you can always tell if they have jets by the color and outline of the plane when you check the scoreboard

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

I am becoming addicted to flying FRB, and the P38s are amazing in that mode. If anyone is interested in flying FRB with me, I am on mumble when I am playing.

You can check your own team's planes. Usually you will have a couple of similar tiered planes, if only even one.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
I would, but I still need a joystick :flaccid:

I'm gonna try borrowing an Xbox controller to see if it works in that mode.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Thief posted:

I would, but I still need a joystick :flaccid:

I'm gonna try borrowing an Xbox controller to see if it works in that mode.

I tried that. After a lot of loving around with settings, I could successfully take off and fly a circuit. I never managed to land. With a proper joystick it was much easier. I really need to get myself one because full-real battles look amazing and hilarious.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Burno posted:

I am becoming addicted to flying FRB, and the P38s are amazing in that mode. If anyone is interested in flying FRB with me, I am on mumble when I am playing.

It's tempting to set up my joystick and play some FRB. I got the impression that matchmaking would take forever and the tier range would be very wide though.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Eltoasto posted:

It's tempting to set up my joystick and play some FRB. I got the impression that matchmaking would take forever and the tier range would be very wide though.

I have found that the rank 7-11 planes get a battle pretty much instantly with 11 taking a bit longer than 7. The map right now is Berlin so all the countries are getting in pretty quickly and you can take your pick of what you want to fly, with the exception of those sweet rear end Japanese planes. :japan:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

"Today's" contest runs, in my time, from 1am to 5am on a Monday morning.

gently caress's sake.

Omgz
Oct 5, 2008

AlphaDog posted:

"Today's" contest runs, in my time, from 1am to 5am on a Monday morning.

gently caress's sake.

I know that feel bro. :australia:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

So how does this go with a victory goal? Everyone go arcade and grab bombers?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Omgz posted:

I know that feel bro. :australia:

On the upside, just got Australian Aviator II achievement. 500 kills in boomerangs :black101:

The last one was an airacobra, too. He ragequit with "gently caress off" when I said "haha, learn to scissors".

Omgz
Oct 5, 2008

AlphaDog posted:

On the upside, just got Australian Aviator II achievement. 500 kills in boomerangs :black101:

The last one was an airacobra, too. He ragequit with "gently caress off" when I said "haha, learn to scissors".

Wish they didn't cost hitler bux, I'd love to fly them around. On a related note I've been leveling up Germans/Brits and holy cow was I missing out, cannons are amazing. Hispanos :allears:

edit: also looks like they added some more time for the people complaining!

8 A.M. — 12 A.M. PDT (July 21st 15:00 — 19:00 GMT)
6 P.M. — 10 P.M. PDT (July 22nd 01:00 — 05:00 GMT)

So 11AM-3PM monday* for :australia:

Omgz fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 21, 2013

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
With Mechwarrior Online going down the shitter, about 20 of us from Word of Lowtax, mostly Flaming Drongs (Aussies) have picked this game up and been having a blast. However as we've started hitting ranks 6 to 8 the matchmaker has started becoming.... terrible and is regularly putting us against teams that are largely made up of planes 2 to 4 ranks above what we've brought. It's certainly not unplayable but it is making it a lot less fun. In fact it's rapidly making the game wear thin for some of us.

Is this just the matchmaker being lovely or is there more to it than the level planes we bring. Do national levels and upgrades/modifications count towards it perhaps? Even now as new players join, swapping back to our basic tier 0/1 planes will generally get us against 3/4/5 level planes which is pretty annoying, more so for the new guys.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shanakin posted:

With Mechwarrior Online going down the shitter, about 20 of us from Word of Lowtax, mostly Flaming Drongs (Aussies) have picked this game up and been having a blast. However as we've started hitting ranks 6 to 8 the matchmaker has started becoming.... terrible and is regularly putting us against teams that are largely made up of planes 2 to 4 ranks above what we've brought. It's certainly not unplayable but it is making it a lot less fun. In fact it's rapidly making the game wear thin for some of us.

Is this just the matchmaker being lovely or is there more to it than the level planes we bring. Do national levels and upgrades/modifications count towards it perhaps? Even now as new players join, swapping back to our basic tier 0/1 planes will generally get us against 3/4/5 level planes which is pretty annoying, more so for the new guys.

Matchmaker has it's time limit for waiting, i.e. acceptable time frame to wait for battle. If it can not find an appropriate (level-wise) battle within this frame, it will expand the tiers included. Basically, all higher level air planes are there in your fights simply because not enough people are playing at the same time.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Yeah I suspected as much. Any idea what the timeframe is?
It's weird though since it seems to happen regardless of when we play it and there are normally at least 300 other players looking for a match at any one time, which seems like it should be enough.

Thanks anyway.

e: or perhaps a better question would be is, what timeframe is peak playercount in order to minimise this.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shanakin posted:

Yeah I suspected as much. Any idea what the timeframe is?
It's weird though since it seems to happen regardless of when we play it and there are normally at least 300 other players looking for a match at any one time, which seems like it should be enough.

Thanks anyway.

e: or perhaps a better question would be is, what timeframe is peak playercount in order to minimise this.

These 300 players, for example, are distributed (not evenly, but they still are) across 5 nations, or, to simplify, 117 tiers. Using magic, I'd say there are around 7 people per tier at most.
Timeframe for match, i.e. the acceptable wait - I have no clue, but I'd estimate it to be between 2 and 3 minutes.
Peak player count is during evening in Russia and Europe - that would be from 2pm to 10pm GMT.

Edit: Added a line about the time frame.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Also, if you don't like the MM results, make sure your server setting is set to "Any" instead of US, EU, or RUS. Gives you a wider player base and so can get you better results.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, we leave it on Any generally and generally get a match in less than 2 minutes so I dunno. However I guess that makes sense, since that timeframe correlates to when most of us were sleeping and was also the timezone most of us played when we first started for a few days.

Ah well. Thanks anyway, if nothing else I get a heap of balancer awards with my boomerangs. god those things own :australia:. I finally unlocked RAAF roundels which I intend to plaster over everything.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
argh is there any way to play only Ground Strike when going to the Arcade queue? Because Domination is just the same boring furball every time where every dogfight ends in a pubbie crashing into you.

If there was a way to play only the Ground Strike maps with HB difficulty level this would be the Best Game. I love the HB balance between grognard poo poo and action but the maps were designed by someone who hates fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Matchmaker's just been hosed for a few days, it's continually throwing my low rank planes into stupid matches with only a 1-2 second wait.

kalstrams posted:

These 300 players, for example, are distributed (not evenly, but they still are) across 5 nations, or, to simplify, 117 tiers. Using magic, I'd say there are around 7 people per tier at most.
Timeframe for match, i.e. the acceptable wait - I have no clue, but I'd estimate it to be between 2 and 3 minutes.
Peak player count is during evening in Russia and Europe - that would be from 2pm to 10pm GMT.

Edit: Added a line about the time frame.

How do you get 117 tiers?

There are 21 ranks divided into 11 tiers (0-1, 2-3 etc + 20). Arcade doesn't take nation into account for matchmaking, and even if it did 117 isn't a number you'd come up with multiplying either 21 ranks or 11 tiers by 5 nations.

Even if you're using the old matchmaker tiers (the ones that were something like 0-1, 2-5, 6-10, etc) and assuming it takes nations into account, you won't get 117 because you're always multiplying by 5 nations.

Along with that, where do you get 7 people per tier? 7 people per tier over 117 tiers would be >800 people queuing at once. Right now there's about 250 people queuing, and it's busy (33,000 online, ~1000 current matches). 7 people per tier works out about right if there are 21 tiers (but there aren't) if it's a slow time with half the players that are on right now.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 21, 2013

• Locked thread