Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Anderson pitched one up at off stump, siddle missed it. Broad and Bresnan are throwing them down missing the stumps, so even when these batsmen miss it it goes straight through to the keeper.

Hit the stumps fuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

yeah, i forgotten that day 5 is on the door only

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Lol he's out. Missed it too.

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

well gently caress

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Thank gently caress for that

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Good timing

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

At last

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Great LBW decision.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me
great decision

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, finally. Shouldn't have taken more than 5 overs past tea.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

who's winning lads

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

It's obvious that Clarke's captaincy isn't working out. How long before they see sense and give the captaincy to Renaissance Man Shane Watson?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I wouldn't have given Agar out.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

it was very out

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

tarbrush posted:

I wouldn't have given Agar out.

He knew he'd hit it too. His reaction after the shot proves it. Cheating gently caress didnt even walk.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I wonder if he's actually injured too or they're just saying that as an excuse because he's clearly not good enough as a spinner. Although what they expected by picking a 19 year old club cricketer I don't know. Still looking for a magic fix, they never learn.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Six consecutive losses, our worst streak since 1984 when we lost six straight to the Windies. And it's only going to get worse :sigh:

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Lol for anyone who thinks we might over use this meme:

quote:

I don't want anybody in our team to not play their natural game and not back their natural instinct. You have to do that 100 per cent

This is Michael Clarke twisting himself in knots trying to explain how our batsmen need to apply themselves yet continue to play their "natural" game (ie poo poo)

http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2013/content/story/653983.html

Read it and weep.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The true state of LOLstralia revealed in all it's pathetic shame for all to marvel at how loving crap the batting truly is.

Altho to be fair, the bowling isnt terrible and even has some potentcy occasionally. Agar shouldnt be playing test cricket yet but he's got some ability at least.

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish
I thought Clarke acquitted himself, as he always does in the media, very well in extremely difficult circumstances.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
This is what happens if Australia ends up on a deck that spins or plays a bit flat. Outside of Clarke the side is pretty uncomfortable against spin and even on a flat wicket they aren't very good.

The only people worth feeding in the Australian side are the quicks. So if they are taken out the game the batsmen will gladly self destruct. We are honestly lucky England batted poorly in the first innings or it could have very easily turned into a very big innings defeat.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Just realised that the last Australian to score a century was Clarke .. in the first Test against India. So we've now played 11 innings without a single century - a lean trot for a single batsman but for an entire team that's ridiculous. The two batsmen* who've come closest are Mitchell Starc (99), and Ashton Agar (98).

And in that time we've conceded double-centuries from Dhoni (224) and Pujara (204), plus hundreds from Kohli (107), Vijay (167), Vijay (153), Bell (109) and Root (180). What an absolute joke.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
Grim situation, as expected really.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Who was the last Australian to score a century that wasn't Clarke ?

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Gonna go out on a limb and say Warner but I haven't spend 1 second looking it up

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Hyperriker posted:

Grim situation, as expected really.

Yeah but just why is it so good??

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Matthew Wade actually, he scored 102* in the 3rd Test vs Sri Lanka.

Clarke and Hussey also scored hundreds in that series.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

That's not too bad. Thought we would have to go as far back as warners against the kiwis

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

This is a public service reminder. Simon Katich is just a phone call away. All that needs to be done is for Clarke to suck his dick, say sorry and hand him the captaincy and Australia will suddenly have a capable, experienced opening batsman with international experience, and a clever innovative captain to boot. Oh, Michael Hussey can still bat better than all these guys combined. I have to say, when you look at the current team and think about those guys being discarded in order to give Clarke the captaincy, it beggars belief.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

No old player who still has skill with the bat wants to be within 5000 miles of the current Aussie side. It's too poisonous

baked
Apr 1, 2005

i took a little nap where the roots all twist; squished a rotten peach in my fist.
Katich, Ponting, Hussey.

Wikipedia posted:

After retiring from test cricket, Ponting played out the Sheffield Shield season with eventual champions Tasmania. He was the competition's leading run scorer with 911 runs at an average of 75.91. As a result of his prolific form with the bat, he was named the Sheffield Shield player of the year.

He signed on to play for the English County side Surrey during June–July 2013. His score of 192 on debut against Derbyshire was the highest score by a Surrey batsman on their first class debut for the county. Ponting scored an unbeaten 169 against Nottinghamshire in his final first class innings, ensuring his team held on for a draw.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

baked posted:

Katich, Ponting, Hussey.

Honestly wouldn't surprise me if at least Ponting and Hussey suspected the imminent debacle and decided to get out early.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
They made their bed, now they have to lie in it and choke in their sleep.

Bringing back old players merely kicks the can down the road a little.

Which it means that's what they'll do I guess.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

True, bringing back the oldies isn't the answer to the problem, but at least it will give some of the younger players a chance to play in a stable environment and learn from someone. Right now, who do they have to look up to? Watson, Clarke and Haddin and to some extent Rogers.

This article is as interesting as it is depressing, and I'm not even an Aussie fan. Australian sports in general have this obsession with not losing players to rival codes, in cricket's case, AFL mostly. So they set up BBL to have more money to pay the players, but it's killing their test cricket. I reckon they'd be better off losing some talent and having the rest of the players be tough test capable players rather than the current situation where David Warner is hailed and rewarded as a star.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2013/content/story/653981.html

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Oh noes Tasmania and Queensland have started producing decent wickets and the precious babies can't handle batting on them. Get hosed.

Good wickets should produce good tough batsmen.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Chemi posted:

I thought Clarke acquitted himself, as he always does in the media, very well in extremely difficult circumstances.

Well he's had plenty of practice.

I hope we lose 10-0. Cricket Australia needs a massive rocket up them, and Clarke could do with one too. Getting Boof was only one small part of the solution, the rest will take years as we have to rebuild from the ground up and try and develop some hard nosed batsmen who don't forget they are playing tests and slip into T20 mode. Unfortunately batsmen like that are not favored by the conditions at grade and state level and are out shined by their more flamboyant counterparts.

The solution is pretty simple, we just need to emphasize tricky wickets to bat on and in a couple of years natural selection will have seen to the demise of the T20 superstars and replaced them with patient, gritty hard-nosed cunts who would sooner die than give their wicket away.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Won't ever happen while we've got idiots walking around parroting the "GOTTA PLAY YOUR NATURAL GAME MATE" line.

Is this "must bat aggressively at all costs" a thing in England as well?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

webmeister posted:

Is this "must bat aggressively at all costs" a thing in England as well?

Probably not given they have Trott and Cook in the same side. And the fact that they have given Morgan the arse.

That's not to say there isn't a place in test cricket for aggressive batting, it just needs to be put on hold until the top order has taken the shine off the ball and worn out the bowlers a bit.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Remember when Border was made captain despite not really wanting the job, and consistently threatened to quit because the team was so loving useless? I kind of wish Clarke would do that, except from what I've read he's partially responsible for the terrible condition of the team in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Oh noes Tasmania and Queensland have started producing decent wickets and the precious babies can't handle batting on them. Get hosed.

Good wickets should produce good tough batsmen.

The fact that the SCG does not turn square on day one makes me weep.

I miss that old dustbowl. Replacing the soil hosed it good and proper.

• Locked thread