Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

It's as if there's a plan to make Australia poo poo at tests...

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/654113.html?CMP=chrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Oh noes Tasmania and Queensland have started producing decent wickets and the precious babies can't handle batting on them. Get hosed.

Good wickets should produce good tough batsmen.

loving truth right there - and what were the best games to watch? The ones with a wicket that wasnt a bowler's graveyard.

quote:

The fact that the SCG does not turn square on day one makes me weep.

I miss that old dustbowl. Replacing the soil hosed it good and proper.

It doesnt help Syndey has had a row of abnormally wet and humid summers.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Unimpressed posted:

58 days of BBL this summer compared to 44 last summer. gently caress Cricket Australia. gently caress James Sutherland. I want Australia to lose 10-0.

I love how cynical that article is.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
As someone that grew up with 90's English Cricket.

Hahahahahahahahaha this is how it felt!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Unimpressed posted:

Haha loving hell. I love how perfectly it demonstrates where we're going wrong, and how nobody is interested in fixing it while the money's still rolling in.

Is that right in saying Big Bash games will be on at the same time as Ashes Tests? I know there's no AFL/NRL/Union played during summer, but I really don't think there's enough general interest in cricket to sustain anything like that much coverage.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

What scares me about the whole thing is that they might actually be thinking they're doing a good job. After all they got the big TV contract and are raking in more money. It's not impossible to see them deciding that test cricket is just a distraction and that the future lies in BBL. I guess the question is what do they perceive as being the centre point of the sport and what are the revolving forms of the game. Cricket is unique in being currently composed of three different games. If they think the BBL can stand on it's own two feet without a strong test team, I don't think it's impossible to imagine them just dropping test (and 50 over) cricket in general, returning it to semi-professional level. I know this is far fetched but can they be trusted to not simply follow the money?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Pretty sure T20 leagues such as the IPL and BBL are on a downward trajectory in terms of attendances and viewers even as the idiotic boards further expand and oversaturate the market.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-22/clarke-to-retire-in-next-12-months-says-maxwell/4834956?section=sport
God I hope he's right.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Hahah that'd be the perfect cherry on top - force out all of the good batsmen because you don't like them then retire after a year leaving the whole batting lineup gutted.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Smorgasbord posted:

Hahah that'd be the perfect cherry on top - force out all of the good batsmen because you don't like them then retire after a year leaving the whole batting lineup gutted.

Just paving the way for the glorious return of Katich, Hussey and Ponting.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Jesus, I don't know if that would be funny or sad. Australia without Clarke are no better than the WI right now. There is no batting talent there, no one to be anything at all like a convincing captain. I could see Australia significantly closing the gap to England in test numbers if this goes ahead. On the upside, maybe if Australia lose the ashes twice, and then Clarke, Sutherland will have to get hosed finally, along with his full of poo poo marketing cronies.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Cool, more BBL. I'm so keen to see the Adelaide Whatevers beat the Melbourne Thingies.

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish
It's not as bad as all that. Australia still have a perfectly good pace bowling attack, one or two talented batsmen and one of the best batsmen in world cricket today. But for a decent DRS decision, the defeat yesterday could have put the series at 1-1. I don't think for one second that they can retrieve matters in this series, but the doomsday analysis is pretty misplaced in my opinion. Alternatively, it might be that I don't want things to change because Australia losing is :cool:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

webmeister posted:

Won't ever happen while we've got idiots walking around parroting the "GOTTA PLAY YOUR NATURAL GAME MATE" line.

Is this "must bat aggressively at all costs" a thing in England as well?

Not when you've got Boycott complaining about how batsmen don't dig in nowadays and get a solid three hundred ball fifty

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Unimpressed posted:

It's not impossible to see them deciding that test cricket is just a distraction and that the future lies in BBL. I guess the question is what do they perceive as being the centre point of the sport and what are the revolving forms of the game. Cricket is unique in being currently composed of three different games. If they think the BBL can stand on it's own two feet without a strong test team, I don't think it's impossible to imagine them just dropping test (and 50 over) cricket in general, returning it to semi-professional level. I know this is far fetched but can they be trusted to not simply follow the money?

Not to be overly harsh, but this is an idiotic post. First of all, as was mentioned earlier, ratings and attendances for BBL games declined markedly this year as opposed to the first year. Once the novelty of it went, the mediocre and ultimately meaningless nature of it failed to hold that much interest.

Secondly, the big test match series are massively profitable for Cricket Australia. Increased revenue from sponsorship, corporate hospitality, travel packages etc, and ticket sales for the return series are going ridiculously well, despite the fact we're probably going to get belted to gently caress.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Doctor Cave posted:

58 days of BBL this summer compared to 44 last summer. gently caress Cricket Australia. gently caress James Sutherland. I want Australia to lose 10-0.

I love how cynical that article is.
Sutherland has hosed over Cricket Australia hard. I am surprised the media isn't after him, rather than the players. Bring back the ACB.

If the stories about Clarke's back are true, I can see the truth in this story.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Clarke has always said he wanted to retire in his mid thirties so the article just confirms that. The guy clearly has a totally hosed back to go along with his team being hot garbage right now, I imagine any drive you have to play on longer disappears when you see the Shane Watson Experience daily

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

What are the odds that Agar's 98 is the top score for an Australia this series?

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...
It's quite funny how much concern there is for Australian cricket in the English press. Some are obviously delighted Australia are poo poo and want revenge for the 90's and all that, but there's a fair chunk who are bemoaning the lack of a contest and dreading another 8 games of this.

Case in point: http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/653939.html

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Michae Clarke wonders what the deal with airplane peanuts is:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...27#.Uez2lo0wfF4

quote:

Chris Rogers – “Chris is our team nerd, he enjoys long walks on the beach, coffee movies and dancing (pause) – on his own”

Ed Cowan – “Mr Eduardo Cowan is certainly one of a kind to say the least, he enjoys picnics in the park (pause) with his male friends”

Mitchell Starc – “Big tall left armer Mitchell Starc, strong young lad his girlfriend Alyssa Healy who we like to call his wife, who is an Australian wicket keeper and we all believe Mitchell learned his left-arm in-swinger from Alyssa in the back yard at home.”

Ryan Harris – “Ryan is the scaredy cat of our team, big strong fast bowler who is petrified of heights.”

Nathan Lyon - “He is in love with Brad Haddin and was a state netballer in school.”

:stare:

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

Chemi posted:

It's not as bad as all that. Australia still have a perfectly good pace bowling attack, one or two talented batsmen and one of the best batsmen in world cricket today. But for a decent DRS decision, the defeat yesterday could have put the series at 1-1. I don't think for one second that they can retrieve matters in this series, but the doomsday analysis is pretty misplaced in my opinion. Alternatively, it might be that I don't want things to change because Australia losing is :cool:

Not quite sure what you're talking about here as the two poor DRS decisions were the Agar stumping (which would have had Australia skittled for just over 100 and resulting in another hammering) and Trott's dismissal. Broad's edge didn't go to DRS because Clarke had pissed his reviews away, and probably wouldn't have mattered if either of the previous DRS decisions been correct.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Ouroboros posted:

Not quite sure what you're talking about here as the two poor DRS decisions were the Agar stumping (which would have had Australia skittled for just over 100 and resulting in another hammering) and Trott's dismissal. Broad's edge didn't go to DRS because Clarke had pissed his reviews away, and probably wouldn't have mattered if either of the previous DRS decisions been correct.

He's referring to the correct decision to give Haddin out on review.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
"But for a decent DRS decision" = "if a decent DRS decision (the Haddin dismissal last test) hadn't happened".

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Where is Bird?

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
Big Bash outlook near the end of 2012

Ratings down 30%, crowds down 40% from same time in 2011

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I've always put the downturn in Australian batting quality being due to the shocking quality of domestic pitches produced to encourage the aggressive batting style.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Captain Matchbox posted:

Big Bash outlook near the end of 2012

Ratings down 30%, crowds down 40% from same time in 2011

When your fans and the numbers tell you something isn't working, the only logical course of action is to double down on that same stupid strategy.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Smorgasbord posted:

When your fans and the numbers tell you something isn't working, the only logical course of action is to double down on that same stupid strategy.

I'm surprised they haven't re-worded the WSC song.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

glasnost toyboy posted:

Not to be overly harsh, but this is an idiotic post. First of all, as was mentioned earlier, ratings and attendances for BBL games declined markedly this year as opposed to the first year. Once the novelty of it went, the mediocre and ultimately meaningless nature of it failed to hold that much interest.

Secondly, the big test match series are massively profitable for Cricket Australia. Increased revenue from sponsorship, corporate hospitality, travel packages etc, and ticket sales for the return series are going ridiculously well, despite the fact we're probably going to get belted to gently caress.

Glad you weren't overly harsh then :) But seriously, you may be right, but CA aren't behaving like it. You should read the BBL press release.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

glasnost toyboy posted:

The tickets will sell because its England. Many many countries are having trouble selling test match tickets when they're playing other nations.

Although I cant see the benefit of playing another 5 match series against Australia.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Since Australia isn't going anywhere positive anytime soon, I think it is a good time to try some new strategies with the batting.

First, put the bowlers out first. It will give them more time to rest once they get out, plus whatever deliveries they take against the new ball can help mid and lower order batsmen.

Second, have everyone bat from their opposite-to-normal side. In theory it should make the players more diverse, though in practice all it might mean is that Watson's left leg won't be responsible for his LBWs anymore.

And finally, it's probably time for a new bat controversy. Play free and loose with the Laws concerning the bat, perhaps. "Face of the blade" seems ripe for interpretation, so put the curved/angled side forward for some unexpected angles off the ball.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

Although I cant see the benefit of playing another 5 match series against Australia.

Maybe we could let them borrow some NZ players? Make it a bit of a challenge?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Swap both teams around so Cook & Co's Australia start with a 2-0 deficit.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
While BBL is poo poo and should be fired into the sun, the biggest problem with Aus cricket at the moment is at Grade level.

In NSW there are 20 grade teams, Victoria has 18, SA has 13 with a loving bye each week. Other than the Futures league, that is the highest level of senior cricket below the Sheffield Shield.

There's also been a drain of experienced players that have left the grade system to play in turf & country leagues.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Tony A. Butt posted:

Michae Clarke wonders what the deal with airplane peanuts is:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...27#.Uez2lo0wfF4

:stare:

Top banter.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I've just seen that Pattinson is out for the rest of the series because of a stress fracture of his back. MiJo back for Old Trafford?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Well, it might divert some of the anger from the batsmen at least.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Oh god words could not describe how happy I would be to see Mitchell Johnson, new ball in hand in an ashes test again.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
When Australia was pummelling the Windies there were a lot of older guys saying that this was revenge for the eighties. I thought those guys were dicks because all that meant was that we had a bunch of poo poo three-day tests and the loss of Caribbean cricketing flavour.

I enjoy watching my football team flog others, but one-sided cricket has never entertained me because the nature of the sport leaves little to enjoy in that. So I presume the English media's concerns about the Australian team is for the similar reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Winning confuses and scares us.

• Locked thread