Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper_Masochist
Oct 21, 2008
I need help with an old PS2 or maybe PS1 adventure game. At the start of it I think you died, or somebody else died and you go to a strange realm inhabited by a mysterious voice who claims to be a God and gives you time travel powers or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Old sidescrolling shooty platform arcade game from the late 80's or early 90's. You play as a ... space mercenary? At the start you can choose which planet to go to to shoot men with your rifle. I think the main dude was fairly bobba-fett-looking. I never got very far so I don't know much more.

edit: I'm fairly sure that the name of the game had some reference to being a mercenary or a space bounty hunter or something like that. You had a choice of, I think, 3 planets as soon as you put your money in and hit start. After that it was a run and gun game.

redreader fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 22, 2013

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Paper_Masochist posted:

I need help with an old PS2 or maybe PS1 adventure game. At the start of it I think you died, or somebody else died and you go to a strange realm inhabited by a mysterious voice who claims to be a God and gives you time travel powers or something?

How does it compare to LoK: Soul Reaver?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
There's a game I used to play on my early 90's DOS PC that was kind of like MechWarrior, but wasn't. I think it was a cheap rip-off.

Instead of being in some sort of mech "war," it was just in a small arena. A small, floating droid was the "ref" and the match started after it floated up and out of the way. You and the other mech stood face to face, only a few feet apart, and there wasn't much to the gameplay, since 90% of matches were just you and the other guy shooting straight at each other, hoping your guns took out their armor before their guns took out yours.

Edit: Oh, and it wasn't Shattered Steel. I know that much.

Edit: V V V YES! Thank you. I thought it had "Battle" in the name, but I couldn't think of anything other than BattleTech, which is MechWarrior. V V V

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 22, 2013

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

DrBouvenstein posted:

There's a game I used to play on my early 90's DOS PC that was kind of like MechWarrior, but wasn't. I think it was a cheap rip-off.

Instead of being in some sort of mech "war," it was just in a small arena. A small, floating droid was the "ref" and the match started after it floated up and out of the way. You and the other mech stood face to face, only a few feet apart, and there wasn't much to the gameplay, since 90% of matches were just you and the other guy shooting straight at each other, hoping your guns took out their armor before their guns took out yours.

Edit: Oh, and it wasn't Shattered Steel. I know that much.
I think you may be looking for Metaltech: Battledrome.

EDIT: Here's a video that might make it a little easier to confirm.

Paper_Masochist
Oct 21, 2008

scamtank posted:

How does it compare to LoK: Soul Reaver?

Good guess, but it was a somewhat realistic Earth setting and I'm pretty sure it didn't have any combat. I think at some point you travel to ~early 1900s London.

Vex Thunder
Dec 12, 2005

FAT TIRE Amber Ale's appeal is in its feat of balance: toasty, biscuit-like malt flavors coasting in equilibrium with hoppy freshness.
Okay the game I'm thinking of was either N64 or SNES era, can't remember which.

It was a mario-cart like racing game. You chose sentient like vehicles with large silly googly eyes.

It pretty much looked like a Starfox game (in fact it probably used the same game-engine?) and I

believe starfox might have even made a cameo in the game on a certain level?

Oh, you are good.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Vex Thunder fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 22, 2013

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Paper_Masochist posted:

Good guess, but it was a somewhat realistic Earth setting and I'm pretty sure it didn't have any combat. I think at some point you travel to ~early 1900s London.

Shadow of Memories

Vex Thunder posted:

Okay the game I'm thinking of was either N64 or SNES era, can't remember which.

It was a mario-cart like racing game. You chose sentient like vehicles with large silly googly eyes.

It pretty much looked like a Starfox game (in fact it probably used the same game-engine?) and I

believe starfox might have even made a cameo in the game on a certain level?

Stunt Race FX

Paper_Masochist
Oct 21, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Shadow of Memories

That's the one. You rock.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Educational game. Played in the early/mid nineties, but might be from earlier; the sort of thing you find installed in school computer labs like, Cross Country Canada.

This was a space exploration game; you could launch probes to various destinations in the solar system on orbital missions (like "count satellites") or landing missions to survey the surface. Graphics were extremely basic, like each-planet-is-a-single-monocoloured-circle basic. I don't really remember anything else.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
This was a multiplayer mod either for one of the Unreal Tournament games or the Source Engine in the "alternative sports" genre. The gameplay was basically like a teambased version of the disc game in Tron. The maps were set up almost like a tennis court, with one side for each team, and you would bounce the ball or disc or whatever back and forth until you hit another player and they were out, or something. It wasn't Deathball and it wasn't Unreal Dodgeball. For the life of me I can't remember what it was.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

redreader posted:

Old sidescrolling shooty platform arcade game from the late 80's or early 90's. You play as a ... space mercenary? At the start you can choose which planet to go to to shoot men with your rifle. I think the main dude was fairly bobba-fett-looking. I never got very far so I don't know much more.

edit: I'm fairly sure that the name of the game had some reference to being a mercenary or a space bounty hunter or something like that. You had a choice of, I think, 3 planets as soon as you put your money in and hit start. After that it was a run and gun game.

Sounds like Xain'd Sleena. Definitely ate a lot of my quarters.

Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd0bdS53qro

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Imagined posted:

This was a multiplayer mod either for one of the Unreal Tournament games or the Source Engine in the "alternative sports" genre. The gameplay was basically like a teambased version of the disc game in Tron. The maps were set up almost like a tennis court, with one side for each team, and you would bounce the ball or disc or whatever back and forth until you hit another player and they were out, or something. It wasn't Deathball and it wasn't Unreal Dodgeball. For the life of me I can't remember what it was.

Ricochet? http://store.steampowered.com/app/60/

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Negative, but thanks. It wasn't that much like Tron. Only the gameplay was similar, it shared basically no visual elements with Tron.

KGmeow
Oct 5, 2007

This is super vague, but it's worth a try. I've never played the game and all I have to go off of is that there was a video posted of several developers sitting at a table and talking about the game while demonstrating the super in-depth character customization screen and some other stuff that I don't remember. I seem to recall that there was some sort of hubbub about the breast options for the female character. The developers were both men and women and they were all Japanese. The video was from some time in the past two years or so.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

techknight posted:

Sounds like Xain'd Sleena. Definitely ate a lot of my quarters.

Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd0bdS53qro

That's it. Thanks :)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
This isn't an old game, but a recent one...it might even only be on Kickstarter or something like that.

But it is sort of a Metroidvania game, but the premise was that every time you died, your next "life" was the first character's son/daughter, who had slightly different skills, perhaps based on how you died the first time? And on top of that, I think the castle slightly changed each "iteration" as well?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

This isn't an old game, but a recent one...it might even only be on Kickstarter or something like that.

But it is sort of a Metroidvania game, but the premise was that every time you died, your next "life" was the first character's son/daughter, who had slightly different skills, perhaps based on how you died the first time? And on top of that, I think the castle slightly changed each "iteration" as well?

Rogue Legacy

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
This one should be easy; it was released in the last 10 years and I'm sure it's on Steam. It's a Diablo clone, and you pick one of the standard D&D classes (F/M/T/C). You're the head or hero of a guild, and the guilds are all competing to complete the city's quests. You can also raid the HQ of other guilds, and smash their magic crystal.

Soun
Jun 24, 2004

Project1 posted:

This one should be easy; it was released in the last 10 years and I'm sure it's on Steam. It's a Diablo clone, and you pick one of the standard D&D classes (F/M/T/C). You're the head or hero of a guild, and the guilds are all competing to complete the city's quests. You can also raid the HQ of other guilds, and smash their magic crystal.

Depths of Peril

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Project1 posted:

Depths of Peril, gently caress yeah

E: goddammit

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
That's the one, thanks.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup
Two C64 adventure games, one text adventure that's a murder mystery, in a mansion? and at one point someone locks you in the steam room and you almost die and also you can have sex with a lady in the game. I think there's dire consequences if you do though. One graphical adventure where for some reason my brain thinks you could move your dude around the screen and maybe even swing your sword using the joystick but for such things as unlocking a door with a key you had to type commands in like a text adventure. I wanna say it predicted your typed commands in about the same way that say Swiss Family Robinson did. You were a dude with sword and armor going up the side of a mountain/castle to fight a dragon maybe? Seems likely.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Hi everyone, looking to identify a game for a friend of mine who has been tortured for years trying to remember its name.

It's a game for the Sega Mega Drive that was released in the UK, it was a side scroller that had a level with a warehouse with a big blue robot boss, when you had done the level you could go back to it but it was in ruins, it also had a map screen between levels.

I know its vague but its from when he was a kid and its all he can remember. Any help would be appreciated :)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Okay, I have looked everywhere for these and searched through the entire thread so hopefully someone can help:

2 games, both were co-op arcade games released in the mid-90s (I graduated 8th grade in '97 and these were at a local skating rink we went to for school parties, so had to be junior high which means around '95).

The first was a game based on the Gulf War, and I believe it had "Desert Storm" in the title. It was 3/4s view, 4 players, you were all soldiers running around shooting. Two distinct things I remember: one of the bosses was a (hijacked?) Blackhawk helicopter that you fought while climbing like a ruined concrete tower; it was also incredibly hard and that is the boss that most of us died at. Another thing, there were buttons for your special power which I swear were labeled "nuke" and when activated would caused an explosion, all of them color-coded and with different areas of effect based on the different characters (so like blue, purple, green).

The second game was a side-scrolling beat-em-up which was specifically 3 players. The characters were stylized "River City Ransom" proportions, and I believe they were multi-ethnic with different color t-shirts. A couple distinct things I remember about this game: one of the levels was on a roller-coaster and I think the cars were all logs. Otherwise it was like a typical elevator level where enemies would jump onto your car from wherever they were waiting or you or they would catch up in a different set of cars. The other thing which is less clear in my memory: I believe in one level you could temporarily take over mecha to fight in, sort've like the open topped mecha from Mega Man X, where you could see your character and he was sitting in basically a pod with arms and legs he could punch with. I vaguely remember these things having boxing glove hands, but that may be jumbled in my memory.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

The first was a game based on the Gulf War, and I believe it had "Desert Storm" in the title. It was 3/4s view, 4 players, you were all soldiers running around shooting. Two distinct things I remember: one of the bosses was a (hijacked?) Blackhawk helicopter that you fought while climbing like a ruined concrete tower; it was also incredibly hard and that is the boss that most of us died at. Another thing, there were buttons for your special power which I swear were labeled "nuke" and when activated would caused an explosion, all of them color-coded and with different areas of effect based on the different characters (so like blue, purple, green).
Does Desert Assault look right?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

That is exactly it! Thank you!

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Trying to identify a game I played many years ago, hopefully this thread can help.

It was bundled with a Sony Siao laptop at the time I believe, it was a FPS game where you were some guy is a black suit (I remember your helmet being rather elongated and sharp, somewhat like a pterodactyl) and your gun was part of your armor, sort of like Samus. Levels were primarily grey and red in colour I believe. There was at least one mini-level type thing where you were airdropped out of a ship and had to avoid incoming missiles before landing on the ground and going through the level as usual. There was a fair amount of long-range jumping as I recall. When you scoped/zoomed in, the HUD was oval in shape.

I also seem to remember something about an explosive dog/animal as some kind of joke weapon but I might be remembering that part wrong :shobon:

edit: vvvvv Hahahaha yes that's exactly it, that was a fast. Thanks a bunch! Really brings back some great memories.

BattleCake fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 15, 2013

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

The second game was a side-scrolling beat-em-up which was specifically 3 players. The characters were stylized "River City Ransom" proportions, and I believe they were multi-ethnic with different color t-shirts. A couple distinct things I remember about this game: one of the levels was on a roller-coaster and I think the cars were all logs. Otherwise it was like a typical elevator level where enemies would jump onto your car from wherever they were waiting or you or they would catch up in a different set of cars. The other thing which is less clear in my memory: I believe in one level you could temporarily take over mecha to fight in, sort've like the open topped mecha from Mega Man X, where you could see your character and he was sitting in basically a pod with arms and legs he could punch with. I vaguely remember these things having boxing glove hands, but that may be jumbled in my memory.
Maybe Combatribes?

BattleCake posted:

It was bundled with a Sony Siao laptop at the time I believe, it was a FPS game where you were some guy is a black suit (I remember your helmet being rather elongated and sharp, somewhat like a pterodactyl) and your gun was part of your armor, sort of like Samus. Levels were primarily grey and red in colour I believe. There was at least one mini-level type thing where you were airdropped out of a ship and had to avoid incoming missiles before landing on the ground and going through the level as usual. There was a fair amount of long-range jumping as I recall. When you scoped/zoomed in, the HUD was oval in shape.

I also seem to remember something about an explosive dog/animal as some kind of joke weapon but I might be remembering that part wrong :shobon:

MDK or MDK 2?

Pogonodon fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 15, 2013

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

No, but using this website it looks like I found it: B. Rap Boys. I got a few of the details wrong but I have found images of the log-coaster and mecha to confirm.

Thanks to both of you!

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
This is very vague, but it is a PS1 RPG. One of the characters is a prince you free from jail, and shortly thereafter you fight a boss with is a female in a pink dress flanked by two werewolf type creatures (or were they monster-pig warrior things?) The graphics are in the style of other PS1 RPGs such as Grandia, Legend of Mana, and others.

I played the crap out of this game when I was young, but that's all I remember out of it.

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012

Captain Mog posted:

This is very vague, but it is a PS1 RPG. One of the characters is a prince you free from jail, and shortly thereafter you fight a boss with is a female in a pink dress flanked by two werewolf type creatures (or were they monster-pig warrior things?) The graphics are in the style of other PS1 RPGs such as Grandia, Legend of Mana, and others.

I played the crap out of this game when I was young, but that's all I remember out of it.

I am going to cry if this is true, but recently the user Azure_Horizon LPed a game called Beyond the Beyond.

It's up on the LParchive now. Take a look. Specifically, this page http://lparchive.org/Beyond-the-Beyond/Update%2006/

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

PumpkinBat posted:

I am going to cry if this is true, but recently the user Azure_Horizon LPed a game called Beyond the Beyond.

It's up on the LParchive now. Take a look. Specifically, this page http://lparchive.org/Beyond-the-Beyond/Update%2006/

Holy gently caress that's it! Good to know that the game was genuinely impossible and it wasn't just me being an 11 year old.

e: and also really bad too.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 15, 2013

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
This is a recent (I believe unfinished, as of the last time I saw it posted) game.

It is a town builder that is I BELIEVE supposed to be very "simulation-ish", with regards to resources and such. It is not Towns or Gnomoria, I THINK it was meant to be more realistic. I hesitate to use medieval to describe it. It clearly wasn't meant to "modern". I feel like it was posted a couple of times through out the SimCity 13 threads for reasons.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

ToastyPotato posted:

This is a recent (I believe unfinished, as of the last time I saw it posted) game.

It is a town builder that is I BELIEVE supposed to be very "simulation-ish", with regards to resources and such. It is not Towns or Gnomoria, I THINK it was meant to be more realistic. I hesitate to use medieval to describe it. It clearly wasn't meant to "modern". I feel like it was posted a couple of times through out the SimCity 13 threads for reasons.
Banished?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

That was it!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I'm trying to remember the name of this freeware PC game. I think it was Japanese, it was like action-puzzle-ish, like your screen was full of blocks and I think they had numbers on them and you had to do something with them (get rid of them maybe?) or else I think they blew up or something. I remember it started out alright but got pretty fast and challenging quickly. Holy poo poo I sound like an idiot for how vague this is. This was like 5 or 6 years ago at least, I don't think it was a very well known game either.

So: Japanese, windows, freeware, action-puzzle, blocks, I think they blew up, made many years ago.

edit: gently caress it here's another game I remember vaguely but not the name of: an old PC game that's like a 2D spritebased sidescrolling kind of jive and you play a firefighter and that's about all I remember about it.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Aug 25, 2013

Quid
Jul 19, 2006
Two games. One I doubt I'll get an answer on and the other I hope I get something:

First one I doubt anyone knows of was a game I played in grade school on computers that played games like Oregon Trail and O'dell lake. It was a Halloween game that basically let you trick or treat. You were shown a house, you could knock or play tricks. I think you got points for successful tricks/treats. I think one was along the lines of "blow up house" which was basically a ticket to jail. There were other things that would pop up such as a UFO. They might give you something good, or they might take you back to their planet and put you in their zoo. Searching for anything Halloween related always brings back other DOS based games that seem like platformers. This was very basic and I have no clue what language/computer/etc it was played on. Actually on the subject of old games, I remember one from a museum (Smithsonian maybe?) where you created a spider web and then it would show you what bugs you would catch. I doubt it would even have a name though.

Second one was probably a racing game, I think on the PS2. It had a mode where instead of racing, you tried to cause giant pile-up accidents and got points based on how much damage/crashing you caused (or at least that's how I remember it). It just seems natural that the main game would be racing but honestly I have no clue. I also think you could use larger, non-racing cars like buses. For all I know it could have been just that mode but searching for anything "crash" related in racing and PS2 just bounces to Crash Team Racing and that's definitely not it. The game has fairly realistic cars (for the system) but it wasn't Demolition Derby on PS1 either, I still have that one. Hopefully there's a newer version to play too.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Quid posted:

Second one was probably a racing game, I think on the PS2. It had a mode where instead of racing, you tried to cause giant pile-up accidents and got points based on how much damage/crashing you caused (or at least that's how I remember it). It just seems natural that the main game would be racing but honestly I have no clue. I also think you could use larger, non-racing cars like buses. For all I know it could have been just that mode but searching for anything "crash" related in racing and PS2 just bounces to Crash Team Racing and that's definitely not it. The game has fairly realistic cars (for the system) but it wasn't Demolition Derby on PS1 either, I still have that one. Hopefully there's a newer version to play too.

Burnout 3 and 4 had that sort of crash puzzle gamemode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Didn't all the Burnouts have it? And the later ones included multiplier tokens that corralled you into doing things a certain way which is a whole lot less fun. It was called Crash Mode anyway

• Locked thread