Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

NextTime000 posted:

The real question is why would Clover even ally to begin with :confused:

Well, we never actually saw Clover enter. Maybe Tenmyouji or Quark killed her and threw her bracelet in the Ambidex Room to get Quark his 9 points.

E: Wait, of course we just saw her leave. My brain's not firing on all cylinders today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

There is the chance she was too distraught to vote. Probably spent the entire time looking for axes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kangra posted:

There is the chance she was too distraught to vote. Probably spent the entire time looking for axes.

There are two specific details that you're overlooking, though.

Fedule posted:

Probably Tenmyouji and Clover.

Wasn't he a pair?
Doesn't Quark need to go with him?

For one thing, Clover is a solo. Her door wouldn't be closed unless she was inside it, much like how Phi and Dio's door didn't close until one of them stepped into it.

And we know full well that Clover went inside and voted because

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There are two specific details that you're overlooking, though.

For one thing, Clover is a solo. Her door wouldn't be closed unless she was inside it, much like how Phi and Dio's door didn't close until one of them stepped into it.

And we know full well that Clover went inside and voted because

Tenmiuoji's just holding up her severed head, and we're all too dense to notice.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Pierzak posted:

On the other hand, we know that Clover has psychotic tendencies, so I have precisely zero trust for her. I'd assume she's gonna hit betray.

Wait, why would the rest have zero trust for her? Sure, we, as people who have seen 999, know that she has psychotic tendences, but remember that out of all the people here, only Alice knows her, and she's dead. The rest have only seen her good side so far, except for the part where Alice died, and it's natural that she acts alone and insecure because Alice was close to her.

To everyone else in the room, she's probably acting relatively normal for someone who's friend just died among all the rest here.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I'm really starting to wonder whether the fact that Clover going loving nuts when she thinks her brother was murder-sploded by someone whilst playing a game of life or death that she's already been forced to play once before as a child really counts as "psychotic tendencies". I'm no expert on human psychology, but come on now.

(Of course the minute she shows signs of completely going off the deep again I am going to immediately regret this post.)

EDIT: vvv I'm not really arguing that she won't, I'm just saying "psychotic tendencies" just sounds like a really funny label. One incident does not a tendency make.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 9, 2013

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Color Printer posted:

I'm really starting to wonder whether the fact that Clover going loving nuts when she thinks her brother was murder-sploded by someone whilst playing a game of life or death that she's already been forced to play once before as a child really counts as "psychotic tendencies". I'm no expert on human psychology, but come on now.

(Of course the minute she shows signs of completely going off the deep again I am going to immediately regret this post.)

Right, and she's now in yet another life or death game with the only person she knows there stabbed. I don't think it's unreasonable for people to think she might act the same way.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

This is like her what, third Nonary Game? You'd think she'd be like, idk hardened or something by now.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

kvltmanifesto posted:

This is like her what, third Nonary Game? You'd think she'd be like, idk hardened or something by now.

but nobody died in her previous games :saddowns:

err nobody that mattered...

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Color Printer posted:

EDIT: vvv I'm not really arguing that she won't, I'm just saying "psychotic tendencies" just sounds like a really funny label. One incident does not a tendency make.

Reacting to a terribly stressful event in an entirely inappropriate and violent way (such as murdering everyone around you) is practically the definition of psychotic. That's not to say she has to follow some specific psychological response, but it wouldn't be surprising either from that angle or the meta-game aspect of it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

kvltmanifesto posted:

I wouldn't say hardened, considering that facing the possibility of death is a hard thing to do three times in a row.

But you certainly would think that she'd be trying to rally everyone together considering that everyone (that wasn't a Cradle executive) was able to escape safely from the first two games.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

kvltmanifesto posted:

You know what happens to hard things under strain?

They break.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Yeah, I really don't understand why she's being so tight-lipped about having been through all this poo poo a couple times before, and that's part of what's pissing me off about her, in a life or death situation like this a person with important information REALLY shouldn't be withholding it...at least last time she had the excuse of Snake making her promise to keep quiet or whatever.

If one of the others IS secretly Zero I'm sure they already know all about her, I don't really see the point of keeping the whole thing a big secret because she's 'not sure she can trust you'.

Honestly, if nothing else I imagine she'd be all "Pfft." :jerkbag: about the threat of deadly injection instead of reacting with shock exactly like everybody else...a needle and a permanent nap's not exactly intimidating compared to the threat of being exploded and being locked in an incinerator and expected to make contact with the future to survive.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

"Snake was the true steel. Clover is pure iron, black and hard and strong, yes, but brittle, the way iron gets. She'll break before she bends. And Alice, that one, she's copper, bright and shiny, pretty to look at but not worth all that much at the end of the day."

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Color Printer posted:

When it comes to murders, I'm perfectly fine with stereotyping after one "accident". Should've thought of it first :colbert:

Fain
Jul 16, 2011
The thing I don't get is that isn't the ending in 999 where she goes insane and axes everyone a non-canon ending? Basically the reason for that ending is to make you, the player, feel bad for loving up and choosing the wrong decisions. Now if she pulled out a axe anytime during the other two "canon" endings, I can understand justifying her psychotic tendencies then.

I don't know. It just seems a little unfair to call her a psycho at this point of the game until we actually see some evidence of her going homicidal.

EdgeryWorthy
Oct 5, 2012

So what's your type? You're a herbivore guy, so do you prefer a carnivore girl?

Fain posted:

The thing I don't get is that isn't the ending in 999 where she goes insane and axes everyone a non-canon ending? Basically the reason for that ending is to make you, the player, feel bad for loving up and choosing the wrong decisions. Now if she pulled out a axe anytime during the other two "canon" endings, I can understand justifying her psychotic tendencies then.

I don't know. It just seems a little unfair to call her a psycho at this point of the game until we actually see some evidence of her going homicidal.

Even though it isn't the "real" ending, it technically did "happen."

I agree though, labeling Clover a "psycho" because she killed people who she thought murdered the person she was closest to in the world after being kidnapped (for the second time) being forced to play a life or death game is a little much. I'd like to see how well you all do in a situation like that. Everyone is capable of murder if pushed far enough.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

Fain posted:

Because of the whole morphogenetic fields business, every ending can be considered canon (or else Junpei couldn't get the password to the coffin). And even if they couldn't, the characters still stay themselves in each ending, which means that their behavior stays plausible if you take into account the events that precede it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Fain posted:

The thing I don't get is that isn't the ending in 999 where she goes insane and axes everyone a non-canon ending?

Technically no.

The Axe ending can happen whenever you go through Door 1 without fulfilling other requirements, and the True Ending pathway is 4 - 7 - 1.

So, she was just shy of canonically going on a murderous rampage.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This is an interesting game to look at, knowing how the patterns cropped up in 999. We haven't had any STRANGE TALES OF PHILOSOPHY make interesting chains into each other yet, but I'm wondering if anything that we found so far could chain into the Chinese Room.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Glazius posted:

This is an interesting game to look at, knowing how the patterns cropped up in 999. We haven't had any STRANGE TALES OF PHILOSOPHY make interesting chains into each other yet, but I'm wondering if anything that we found so far could chain into the Chinese Room.

Dio did mention Schrodinger's Cat was on a file in another room.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Fedule posted:

Alright, thread, I hate to do this to you, but I suddenly find myself called away from home for a week. No, this is not going to be like last time where I want to Ireland for a week and ended up almost getting my Path of Radiance LP archived - I'll be back in a week (no open returns this time!), after which it's back to work.

I'm not leaving you with nothing, though...

It's been two weeks and no word from Fedule.

I think Clover got to him. :ohdear:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

W.T. Fits posted:

Things, stuff, best laid plans and so on, hold tight.

(I had to go somewhere else that isn't my house where my PC is.)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Don't worry, I'm sure he'll escape from the deathtrap room eventually.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

W.T. Fits posted:

I don't get worried about an LP unless it's been about 2 months.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Guys I have some bad news, it turns out we're in one of the bad ends where Fedule doesn't finish the LP.

We just have to hope that our selves in the other timelines will be able to learn from our mistakes.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

Regy Rusty posted:

Guys I have some bad news, it turns out we're in one of the bad ends where Fedule doesn't finish the LP.

We just have to hope that our selves in the other timelines will be able to learn from our mistakes.

How do you know that, hmm? Are you Zero? I think you're Zero.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

GeneralYeti posted:

How do you know that, hmm? Are you Zero? I think you're Zero.

He's not Zero, he's a Negative One.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
That just means he'll become Zero.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Fedule, take all the time you need dude. Don't rush it.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I really wish Dragonatrix was the one to LP this!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
:shobon:

Anyway, here's the deal. Sunday: Get home. Monday: Job interview. Tuesday: Update (might actually happen before Tuesday but Tuesday is the guarantee). Thereafter: Full speed ahead, until the next spanner lands in the works.

I think I'll just lock the thread until then though.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Surprise! We're back and ahead of schedule! Sort of!

It's still Monday if you're far enough west of GMT!

Anyway, have a nice meaty update to make up for the one I left you hanging with for the better part of a month.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Listen in: [English/Japanese]

Please check your bracelet to see your updated Bracelet Points.

VLR OST: [Placidity]

No need to thank me. I just did what I promised I'd do.
Anyway, thank you too.

I also just did what I promised to do.
Now we both have 7 BP. This is the home stretch.

Yes it is. I hope we'll get to pair up in the next round too.

Yeah. You're an opponent I can trust.

If we were partners, you could pick whatever you wanted then, couldn't you?
I mean, you'd get 9 points either way.

Whoa, hold on there.
Why would I suddenly choose "betray"?
I've already chosen "ally" twice...

You're right...

So let's choose "ally" and get the hell out of here together. Sound good?

Okay...

C'mon, why do you look so sad?

Well, it's just... There's a part of me that just can't feel genuinely happy about that...

Oh... You mean Alice?

Oh... Yes...

We still haven't found Quark either, huh...

That too...

Technically, he's won...

[Music fades out]

VLR OST: [Eeriness]

What did you tell me all that stuff for...? Were you just lying?

No. Everything I told you was the truth.
You have to trust me.

How could you do that?! You're such a jerk!
How could I betray you after that?! And then you... you...

I'm sorry...

What? No, of course I'm not Zero.

Then how could you know all that?! Where did you find out about that stuff?!

I told you, I--

I'm not lying.

I mean... there's no way...

Clover... This isn't about me.
I... I made a mistake.
I got someone involved in all this when I shouldn't have.
I...

You mean Quark?

Yeah.

You did this to get Quark's BP up to 9...?

I'm not important.
The only thing that matters is that Quark gets out of this nightmare.

Isn't it obvious? I'm going to look for Quark.

Hey! Wait!

[Music fades out]

I thought Clover had said she didn't trust any of us anymore.

Yeah, I know. But then she chooses "ally"...
Tenmyouji must have said something to her before the last round started, but what?

VLR OST: [Placidity]

Yes, I did. Phi put herself in a situation where choosing "betray" would be unwise.
If she had chosen "betray", Dio would have 9 BP now.

That was her guarantee?

Yes.

Then why didn't you choose "betray"?
You could be walking out of here with 9 points right now.

It's because you promised, right?

There was another reason?

Yes.

What was it?

What do you mean?

Well...
When we were investigating the pantry together, I felt that Phi was somehow... similar to me.
Something in me said... "Don't betray her".
You could call it intuition, I suppose.

Phi...

Besides, you don't get to have a connection with me unless I give you permission, and I don't remember doing that.
You're acting like we're pals or something.
It kind of skeeves me out, to be honest.

What the hell, man?! He did you a favor and now you're gonna give him poo poo for it?!

You chose "ally" too.
Didn't you do that because you trusted him?

When we were in the pantry, I stuffed my face like an idiot.
That got him to lower his guard.

What?

Did you really think that would be enough to convince him?
I mean, if you were wrong, then he could have escaped and left you behind.

What are you getting at?

You tell me.

...Shut up.

If we could, uh, change the subject... Where did Dio go?

...Yeah, that's a good question.

He must have been here for the results...

Oh, I saw him leave.
He checked the results, and then left through the yellow door.

So where did he go...

[Music fades out]

Round three of the Ambidex Game will be the Star Round.
Star keys are required to open the gates.
There is no set limit on usage of the star keys.
The Ambidex Gates can be opened as many times as the players wish to open them.

VLR OST: [Sinisterness]

As long as you have the star keys, you can play the AB Game as many times as you want.

You probably won't be allowed to play it continuously, however.
There's a period of time between when the doors open, and when the polling ends.

Based off the last two rounds, I think it's about 45 minutes long.

So you can repeat the game once every 45 minutes or so.

Oh... that's right.

What?

Remember what Zero Jr. said?

Oh yeah...
What are your bracelets, guys?
Looks like I'm...

Looks like we're pairing up again.
Better than getting stuck with Dio, I guess...

Hey, what's that supposed to mean?

What about you, Luna?

Wait... Green?

Yes.

Weren't the colors for the first game red, green and blue?
And we used those colors to open the magenta, yellow and cyan doors, right?

Yes, that's right.

Then the next round we had magenta, yellow and cyan bracelets...
And opened the red, green and blue doors, right?

Yes.

But this time we've got magenta and yellow pairs, but also a green solo...
What color doors are we supposed to open?

And where are they?

That means Dio, Tenmyouji, and Clover...

And Quark.

We'll need to check Alice's bracelet too. Anyone could just pick it up, now.

I will try and find the remaining people and their bracelets.
Quark will be my first priority.

I'll come with you.

Very well.

And don't forget to, um, retrieve it.
We'll likely need it to get through the Chromatic Doors.

Right. Sigma, could you come with me?

What? O-Okay... Let's go.
(I'm going to have to see her again...)
(I feel sick just thinking about it.)

Let's see... When do the doors open...

An hour and 21 minutes.

Sounds good.

Maybe.

Maybe...? But if he is, then Luna's in danger!

Maybe.

Damnit, Phi!

Well, yeah, but...
I just had this gut feeling that I could trust him...

A gut feeling, huh?

That's not it.

Are you sure?

Yeah...

No, that's not possible.

Why not?

Because Luna didn't need a knife to kill Alice.
When we played the last round, Alice's BP was 1.
Luna was playing against the two of us.
All she would have had to do is convince us to vote "ally", and she could have killed Alice easily.

She would have just had to pick "betray".

Exactly.

But if she'd done that, do you really think the rest of us would have let her get away with it?
We'd probably have tied her up, or locked her away, or something.
Besides...

The only way to get an ally vote from your pair would have been to physically overpower Alice...
Or trick her like I did with Dio.

So... what? You're saying Luna's the killer?

No, I'm not.
I'm just saying the possibility exists.

He's got a full suit of armor.
I'm betting he's pretty hard to kill with all that on.

All right, I think that's enough of that.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Yay, you're back!

Now that we see that you can play the AB game an unlimited amount of times, there is really no motive to betray unless you have a vendetta against someone. This is where I started to question what the true purpose of the game was in the first place.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Ice cold, Phi, ice cold. She's way, way too calm and rational about all this, and with her "this time" comments, she is incredibly suspicious while at the same time one of the least likely candidates to be either Zero or have killed anyone.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Oh man, so I bought this game for a trip to Disney on my 3DS after seeing the first update and the English dialogue.

Naturally the Australian version is Japanese-audio-only. :saddowns:

Anyway, I think I'm going to enjoy seeing everyone's speculations! Time to start the thread over from the start.

It took me 30 hours to get through the game but I'm pretty sure I fell asleep with the DS open a couple times on the plane.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Pidmon posted:

It took me 30 hours to get through the game but I'm pretty sure I fell asleep with the DS open a couple times on the plane.

This reminds me. 25-30 hours is about the average time reported by people who finish the game.

Currently, the timer on my 3DS file (ie, the one where I rush through puzzle rooms and leave the dialogue on auto-advance) is at about 3:30:00.

Y'know, just for some perspective.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I really don't see how Phi is doing herself any favors revealing the "trick" she pulled on K. That's a pretty good way to eliminate any good will she might have built.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I beat this game a second time (on a Vita, thanks to PS+) and it still took me about 24 hours, even though I knew most of the solutions and I skipped through quite a bit of dialog.

• Locked thread