Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

Gensuki posted:

...Wait what? Miracle makes it so your health is only reduced to 1 instead of you being outright murdered, and it specifically can't trigger if (HP<1) ... How did it trigger twice, before Morgan healed with Renewal?

By final boss battle I meant the final level, I should of been a bit more clear I guess.

First Miracle triggered from a hit from Grima itself and Morgan managed dodged the rest of the enemies dogpiling on to finish her off. Her turn, triggered Renewal for the heals and took a free kill on a melee-locked enemy. Next turn they piled back on, she dodged most of the hits and triggered Miracle again and healed up on her next turn with Renewal. Really, really lucky streak there that left half of the enemies on the map in a dumb position and were easily taken out with the rest of my team for no damage in return.

The blunder was allowing her to get ganged up on in the first place, it should of been Henry taking the hits with Nosferatu equipped!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

Internet Kraken posted:

Don't really get why males can't be pegasus knights. Is it just a series tradition at this point? Cause I would totally ride a pegasus if I could.

EDIT: Just glue some spikes to the pegasus if it's not :black101: enough for men.

Same reason why female units can't be barbarians/warriors. By which I mean there isn't really a reason beyond tradition.

Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care
I think I've played this game too much. Hard difficulty is now breathtakingly easy (although first dozen levels of lunatic are still complete bullshit), I think I've seen almost all the support conversations, and I now have a somewhat unhealthy appreciation for Cherche.

Anyone know a good Fire Emblem or similar strategy game to move on from here with? I still need a strategy game fix, but I think I've gone as far with this one as I can.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Wind God Sety posted:

Same reason why female units can't be barbarians/warriors. By which I mean there isn't really a reason beyond tradition.

As to Barbarians and berserkers, remember, they're shirtless. I'm pretty sure there have been, like Michalis, female units that would have had to be fighters or barbarians in order to be their starting secondary class.

There have been male pegasus knights, but they are in the minority. In fact, I think there might only be 1?

Blompkin posted:

Anyone know a good Fire Emblem or similar strategy game to move on from here with? I still need a strategy game fix, but I think I've gone as far with this one as I can.

FE 9 and 10 are pretty good, just turn off the battle animations for 9 unless you liked marionette/ragdoll models.

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 23, 2013

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Any tips for Chapter 11? Playing on Hard Classic NOBODY DIES and I'm having a lot of trouble with it. Specifically the last rush of enemies with the boss, but I always seem to be getting overwhelmed and the flying enemies can just circle around my front line and get to my squishy healers.

In other news, I hate you all for having good Chroms and MUs. Mine are mediocre at best at level 15 or so, and with this string of bad luck I haven't even bothered with Donny much because he'll just suck as well.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Do not rush at the enemy, specifically the enemy ranges of the troops right in front of Gangrel. You get in their range, Gangrel will start moving. Stay back, let your best defensive unit soak up and bait a couple units at a time.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Tae posted:

Do not rush at the enemy, specifically the enemy ranges of the troops right in front of Gangrel. You get in their range, Gangrel will start moving. Stay back, let your best defensive unit soak up and bait a couple units at a time.

I'm just getting overwhelmed by all the reinforcements. I tried advancing in a line to occupy all of the mid-map forts but it leaves my army spread to thin, so I can't really kill the Wyverns before they beeline for my squishiest character.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Gensuki posted:

As to Barbarians and berserkers, remember, they're shirtless. I'm pretty sure there have been, like Michalis, female units that would have had to be fighters or barbarians in order to be their starting secondary class.

They could always, ya know, not have female barbarians/berserkers be shirtless. I don't seriously think they've considered the idea of female barbarians but then realized "oh we can't make her shirtless" and decided not to.

Blompkin posted:

I think I've played this game too much. Hard difficulty is now breathtakingly easy (although first dozen levels of lunatic are still complete bullshit), I think I've seen almost all the support conversations, and I now have a somewhat unhealthy appreciation for Cherche.

FE7 through 11 are also released outside of Japan and are all pretty good (though 11 is a remake of the first game, so it's pretty dated and lacks a lot of mechanics introduced later in the series). Personally I'd recommend FE9 (Path of Radiance) for the Gamecube if you can find it, but none of them are really bad choices to start with besides 10 (Radiant Dawn for the Wii), since it's a direct sequel to 9 and doesn't work nearly as well on its own.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Wind God Sety posted:

They could always, ya know, not have female barbarians/berserkers be shirtless. I don't seriously think they've considered the idea of female barbarians but then realized "oh we can't make her shirtless" and decided not to.

Saying they could just "not have a shirtless barbarian" is basically saying they could just not have the horse be flying". The Barbarian is powered by its pecs and abs, even in a game with graphics this simple would be bordering on heresy...

Basically, if you couldn't see the muscles, how would you know it's a berserker? It might as well be a Hero.

While this is a joke, I really do believe this is the basic reason we don't have female barbarian/berserker classes. Look through past FE games and tell me how many Barbarians/Berserkers are wearing shirts. I haven't played many of the first 6 FE games, but I've heard a female Warrior and a Male pegasus rider mentioned before...

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I'm pretty sure that the male Peg Knight is a statistical anomaly.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Gensuki posted:

Saying they could just "not have a shirtless barbarian" is basically saying they could just not have the horse be flying". The Barbarian is powered by its pecs and abs, even in a game with graphics this simple would be bordering on heresy...

Basically, if you couldn't see the muscles, how would you know it's a berserker? It might as well be a Hero.

While this is a joke, I really do believe this is the basic reason we don't have female barbarian/berserker classes. Look through past FE games and tell me how many Barbarians/Berserkers are wearing shirts. I haven't played many of the first 6 FE games, but I've heard a female Warrior and a Male pegasus rider mentioned before...

All the Berserkers in FE11/12 have shirts.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Gensuki posted:

Barbarians not wearing shirts hasn't stopped them from giving barbarians shirts even in games where they don't wear shirts.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Gensuki posted:

What other people said, and also you can have a muscly berserker woman and also give her a top. They're not exactly mutually exclusive. To my knowledge there's never been a playable male peg knight or female warrior/berserker, though I've never played the first three games. I've heard there are maybe enemy male peg knights in FE3, but I don't know for certain.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I got Awakening for my birthday :swoon: I was thinking of making a magic centered avatar character considering I probably won't get magic characters for a couple chapters, at least. (I think?) Is that a viable way of doing things? And on a scale from FE8 to FE5, how hard of a game is Awakening?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's as hard as you make it. Normal is ridiculously easy and Hard is more comparable to the more challenging normal modes than FE5 or whatever, but Lunatic and Lunatic+ are awful and bullshit. Pick your poison!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DOOP posted:

I got Awakening for my birthday :swoon: I was thinking of making a magic centered avatar character considering I probably won't get magic characters for a couple chapters, at least. (I think?) Is that a viable way of doing things? And on a scale from FE8 to FE5, how hard of a game is Awakening?

Making a magic centered avatar is not only viable but is the optimal choice. You can have your avatar do literally anything so just pick whatever class is your favorite and aim for that. You get a competent magic user in only 2 chapters so don't feel like you need to fill a gap in your team that won't be there.

I found the game challenging my first time despite playing previous Fire Emblems, but on reflection that was entirely because I didn't use the pair up system at all. If you actually listen to the new mechanics hard should be a fine difficulty for your first run.

EDIT: The only base unit type you don't get for a decent amount of time is Wyvern Rider, though if you really want one early you can use a second seal to reclass someone into it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

DOOP posted:

A no-grind run on Hard is around Path of Radiance on hard difficulty, or slightly harder then SS on hard.

Actually, here's a list I made when someone asked a similar question:

The Sword of Seals: Normal
Fire Emblem: Hector Normal
Sacred Stones: Ephraim Hard
Path of Radiance: Hard
Radiant Dawn: Easy
Shadow Dragon: Hard 1 probably? I only played Normal and H5.
New Mystery: Hard

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Internet Kraken posted:

Making a magic centered avatar is not only viable but is the optimal choice. You can have your avatar do literally anything so just pick whatever class is your favorite and aim for that. You get a competent magic user in only 2 chapters so don't feel like you need to fill a gap in your team that won't be there.

I found the game challenging my first time despite playing previous Fire Emblems, but on reflection that was entirely because I didn't use the pair up system at all. If you actually listen to the new mechanics hard should be a fine difficulty for your first run.

EDIT: The only base unit type you don't get for a decent amount of time is Wyvern Rider, though if you really want one early you can use a second seal to reclass someone into it.

You also never get any Barbarians, though a huge chunk of the cast can second seal into them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I did some of those double duel things with my brother. We got through most of them easily, but is it even possible to beat Tiki's Wyverns and Shadow Army without a team of sorcerers with forged nosferatu? On Tiki's Wyverns we got through everything but Tiki, who crushed all 6 of our units because she procced aether on every single attack. Shadow Army is just absurd. All the entombed have skills like luna, aether, and loving lethality. On top of that pretty much all of them have counter too which is impossible to avoid in this mode.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
So, I got this game with SMT4 because of that promotional thing, and started playing it today. Sully's very first level up in this game was an almost perfect level (no magic). Will she always be this ridculous, or am I being tricked by the RNG?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Livingtrope posted:

So, I got this game with SMT4 because of that promotional thing, and started playing it today. Sully's very first level up in this game was an almost perfect level (no magic). Will she always be this ridculous, or am I being tricked by the RNG?

Sully's no more amazing at levels than any other unit, but if she turns out good for you, hey, go hog wild. It's Fire Emblem Awakening, literally every unit is amazing.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Growths tend to be pretty high for the most part in this game compared to the others, but don't bank on near-perfect levels like that all the time, barring 2-3 characters.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

alcharagia posted:

Sully's no more amazing at levels than any other unit, but if she turns out good for you, hey, go hog wild. It's Fire Emblem Awakening, literally every unit is amazing.

Except for Vaike. gently caress you Vaike :argh:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Except for Vaike. gently caress you Vaike :argh:

How to make Vaike amazing: turn him into a barbarian as early as is practical.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
That doesn't fix his personality and portrait though :colbert:

What I'm saying is gently caress Vaike forever.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

SC Bracer posted:

Both are great, gently caress you forever.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I remember when my brother started playing this game he intentionally used Vaike as bait and got him killed on the first turn you get him. When I asked him why he said anyone dumb enough to forget their own weapon couldn't be a good unit.

I couldn't really tell him he was wrong either :v:

VVV I've never had a bad Sumia, but I think a way to make her surprisingly good is make her a knight. She turns into a complete beast that can double everything while never taking damage from nonmagical units.

Though speaking of Sumia, why is she the only first gen female that lacks a good chunk of male supports?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 25, 2013

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Sumia is also very luck-dependent--she really needs to hit her strength growths. If she hits them, she's incredible, and if she doesn't, she just can't kill anything.

I've also never managed to make Maribelle be worth anything.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Internet Kraken posted:

Though speaking of Sumia, why is she the only first gen female that lacks a good chunk of male supports?

I figure it's to mirror Chrom's limited options for female S-Ranks. Ignoring the Avatar, Chrom only has four possible female S-Ranks (Sumia, Sully, Maribelle, Olivia), and Sumia only has four possible male S-Ranks (Chrom, Frederick, Gaius, Henry).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

cheetah7071 posted:

Sumia is also very luck-dependent--she really needs to hit her strength growths. If she hits them, she's incredible, and if she doesn't, she just can't kill anything.

Maribelle's in this odd spot where she comes in as a healer but doesn't get the skill to make healing really good (stafftouch) without reclassing. So she gets less levels than Lissa and unless they are exceptionally good she is going to feel subpar by comparison since her growths aren't much different.

I had run where I reclassed her to a mage and used her as an actual combat unit and she did surprisingly well. Eventually I reclassed her into Valkyrie after running through Sage and she was one of my strongest team members. She can be really good, but I think you need a second seal to her there. Most units don't have that problem.

W.T. Fits posted:

I figure it's to mirror Chrom's limited options for female S-Ranks. Ignoring the Avatar, Chrom only has four possible female S-Ranks (Sumia, Sully, Maribelle, Olivia), and Sumia only has four possible male S-Ranks (Chrom, Frederick, Gaius, Henry).

I guess that makes some sense, though I figured Chrom only got less supports because who he marries has more influence on the story (albeit not that much). Would be hilarious if you could pair him up with Tharja though :shepface:

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

SC Bracer posted:

Yeah, but he's got tenure, so what are you going to do?

Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care

cheetah7071 posted:

I've built her up into a fairly decent Sage with galeforce, but it's up to you if it's worth the time and trouble or not.

Stahl and Virion always underperform in every playthrough I've gone through. Stahl's not terrible, but he's slightly inferior to all the other knights, and Virion just isn't very good at anything.

Vaike is okay, he just misses a lot.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've never had Maribelle not turn out amazing. Though her defense will forever be poo poo.

Chrom can only support those women because those are the only ones available before Lucina is born.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Manatee Cannon posted:

I've never had Maribelle not turn out amazing. Though her defense will forever be poo poo.

Chrom can only support those women because those are the only ones available before Lucina is born.

Cherche is the only woman who shows up after her birth.

Nowi and Panne make sense because Lucina is human, and they were doing the weird unrequited love thing with Cordelia, but there's not much of an excuse for Chrom not being able to pair with Tharja or Miriel.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Manatee Cannon posted:

I guess Panne and Nowi make sense because they're different races, but you still have Miriel.

And I've never had a good Sully. It's like every time she'll just level up skill and hp, and while Stahl usually was never great he still always outclassed her.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Virion has tons of style, which is important :colbert: He made a pretty decent griffon rider when paired up with my Trickster Avatar though. I was going to use him as a Sniper on my very first playthrough but all 5 of his levels were two or one stat so I got pissed and benched him.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Tharja, Cordelia, Nowi, Panne, and Miriel are all recruited before the end of the first act though.

EDIT: Beaten twice! Just like playing lunatic :saddowns:

EDIT 2: Surprised so many people have bad Sully's. Everytime I use her she turns out great. On my failed Lunatic run she became Frederick 2.0.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 25, 2013

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Oh yeah. I don't know what I was thinking there.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I can see the reasoning they didn't have Tharja though, considering her obsession over the Avatar, and Cordelia has the unrequited love thing. Miriel I have no reason why.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Miriel is too into science for Chrom to hang out with, I guess? v:v:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Not true, you get Cordelia, Panne, Nowi and Tharja before you get to the timeskip. Panne as a mother would make Lucina ridiculous.

edit: wow I was beaten pretty badly

• Locked thread