Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
All I'm saying is I would like to be able to see it all (or what my stats/alignment/whatever allows), rather than be funneled through it.

If large portions of content are going to be time-gated(or whatever), requiring several playthroughs really would need significant branching in order to keep things fresh.

I played the second (third?) chapter of Witcher 2 twice (loved it), but I only played the entire game through once within a single span of time. Alpha Protocol I played through twice. Witcher had huge content differences, AP had huge character differences.

Multiple playthroughs really serve to highlight the repetitive nature of the gameplay/interaction, so if the gameplay's fun and the story is captivating and they develop a game that can sustain those things I don't think I'd have any sort of problem playing through it twice (or thrice) to see different aspects of a character. What I wouldn't want to do is have to play the exact same game/character twice because some *game device* killed me or prevented me from exploring further while I was taking my time.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
This was posted today on the Torment Facebook page:

"Before the Fall"

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The Reaper Collectors are everywhere, jesus.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I keep forgetting that Torment is ostensibly set on Earth. But yeah, more cool concept art.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Great Rumbler posted:

"Before the Fall"

Real talk, if this game is able to capture a moment of staring down at Earth surrounded by borderline alien technology all while telling a great and emotional story. When I look upon the planet and reflect upon everything it took to get to that point; I might just pause a minute just to shed a tear.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I Just hope there's a decent amount of playing the game with Earth and a starfield in the background, because that would make this game the closest thing yet to my dream game, a turn-based isometric space opera RPG.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Oh man, I really have a thing for beautiful skyboxes. I know we're looking down most of the time, but if we could look down on the planet and see a little bit of space and stars and planetary scale that would be the most wonderful of things.

Also, If any of you people have yet to try it, Wizardry 8, aka literally one of the best old school rpgs, is out on GOG right now. My first rpg was Might and Magic 3 and it hooked me (all those magic wells to drink from:allears:), but you owe it to yourself to give Wiz8 a shot.

It doesn't have the sweet rear end characters of Torment or...Baldur's Gate, I guess, but drat it's a really fun game to experience. I really liked the combat, too.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Great Rumbler posted:

"Before the Fall"

That's gorgeous. InExile really has amazing concept artists. I wish Obsidian would release more stuff like this for P:E :saddowns:

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Furism posted:

That's gorgeous. InExile really has amazing concept artists. I wish Obsidian would release more stuff like this for P:E :saddowns:

Here's the artist's site:

http://andreewallin.com/

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

While we're on the topic of concept art, the guy who drew the Bloom, Chang Yuan, seems to put most of his stuff here. It's also really good.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Thanks for those portfolios/galleries - it's great seeing what else these artists have done. Now, how to combine the two of them so we get super clean cyberpunk cityscapes with gnarled weird bits jutting out all over.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Great Rumbler posted:

"Before the Fall"

"Goddamn it, I told you we were supposed to make a left at LV-223, not LV-426!"

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

torment.inxile-entertainment.com posted:

We have not imported the Kickstarter pledge data. We expect this to be done by the end of May/beginning of June. The pledge will not show up on your account until then. We will send out an email when the Kickstarter data is imported and people can fully manage their pledges.
What's the hold-up I wonder? It's been that long I can't even remember if I paid extra for an add-on...

stille
Oct 9, 2012
New interview with Kevin Saunders and Adam Heine.

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,3339.0.html

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
That is one hell of an interview.

freeb0rn
Jan 22, 2005

CrookedB posted:

That is one hell of an interview.

Seriously, wow. Great answers.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I love that these guys are making the sequel; their focus is spot on :)

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Finally got some time to read through that and wow, it's amazing. The best part for me:

quote:

Ideally, players won’t ever reach a point where something that they feel they should be able to do (given the context of the world and game you’ve created for them) isn’t an option. When this does happen, I’d think about why, and whether there’s something I should change in the system or the situation to keep my contract with the player.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
At the RPG Codex forums Colin McComb and Kevin Saunders got asked how linear the game's going to be compared to PS:T. Here's what they replied:

Kevin Saunders posted:

villain of the story posted:

are we to understand that game will be fairly linear?

I'm hesitant to answer your question directly because I don't know precisely what implications come with your definition of "fairly linear." =) So instead I'll say some things that maybe get at what you and others may be curious about.

When the two aspects are at odds with each other, we are favoring greater reactivity over greater freedom. (Generally speaking, the more non-linear the game, the more effort it is to have robust reactivity because there are more permutations to account for. This is not an absolute.)

You will often have choices about what you do/where you go next. You won't be able to go anywhere at any time. In general, I expect players will have considerable freedom, but we'll use story-based gates (and other techniques as well) to allow us to create the high degree of reactivity we want while keeping the scope of work manageable.

Colin McComb posted:

Infinitron posted:

People want comparisons. How linear will it be compared to PS:T?

Looking at my story flowchart, I'd say: less linear. We do have major story beats that will remain the same; as ksaun [i.e. Kevin Saunders] noted, we're using story-based gates and other techniques for some pacing control, so you'll have to hit certain of those gates to progress. There is a distinct critical path through the game. However, there are places where the story diverges considerably based on your choices and actions.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Sounds a lot like The Witcher 2 to me, which is a excellent example of meaningful choices along a linear path.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
"The Forge of the Night Sky" by Chang Yuan, showing the Ruins of Ossiphagan, which was described in our third Kickstarter Update:

https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/media

edit: well beaten I guess but I included the context and link :colbert:

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile
Alright guys, we finished processing Kickstarter donations and they should now show up on your account (or register an account with your Kickstarter emails).

We're closing off and finalizing a lot of the Numenera book stuff soon, so if you are eligible for a physical copy of the books, please input your shipping address so we can get it to you as it comes out.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Wow, I forgot how much I pledged to Torment for not even any physical rewards.

Worth it.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Brother None posted:

Alright guys, we finished processing Kickstarter donations and they should now show up on your account (or register an account with your Kickstarter emails).

Hm. Still getting the spiel about 'as we process Kickstarter donations'. Anyone else?

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
I'm getting the same but I'm not due to receive any physical rewards.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Hm. Still getting the spiel about 'as we process Kickstarter donations'. Anyone else?

Hah, didn't notice that, yeah, the text on the "account" tab needs to be updated. Your donation will show up under the "Donations" tab.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Brother None posted:

Hah, didn't notice that, yeah, the text on the "account" tab needs to be updated. Your donation will show up under the "Donations" tab.

Ah, excellent, it is there. Thanks, was worried for a second.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
It says my e-mail is not in the database even though it's the correct one (I don't even have any other e-mail since like 2001) and I backed the project during the regular KS period. I tried to log in to Ranger Center (Wasteland 2 account management thingy) and it said the same even though I remember being able to log in earlier to get the free Bard's Tale code). Weirdly enough, the password reset feature worked there. :iiam:

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

lordfrikk posted:

It says my e-mail is not in the database even though it's the correct one (I don't even have any other e-mail since like 2001)

Ranger and Torment Center work a little differently in this. Just create an account using the same email as you did on Kickstarter.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
My 'Donations' page tells me to gently caress off :(

quote:

Currently no record of purchase or donation history.

I have registered on the website with the same email as Kickstarter. I'll contact you guys, I guess.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Furism posted:

I have registered on the website with the same email as Kickstarter. I'll contact you guys, I guess.

Never hesitate to! I'll be workin' the entire weekend to cover any problems like that (though in a lot of cases I need someone from support to look at it)

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
Update time!. Today's topics: books! Plotting! Graphics! Obfuscating player choice! Incentivizing savescumming!

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I'm really sad I can't buy the novels individually, and that the only way to get them is to up my pledge and get stuff I just don't care about :(

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Furism posted:

I'm really sad I can't buy the novels individually, and that the only way to get them is to up my pledge and get stuff I just don't care about :(

Novels? The novellas are available as add-ons. These Numenera books aren't novels, they're pen and paper books, and you'll be able to buy them directly from Monte or different stores (Amazon, probably) after their release.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I meant novellas, sorry. Last time I checked (that was some time ago) I couldn't find them on the backer portal as stand-alone add-ons - maybe I didn't read properly. But if I can buy them from Amazon then it's all good! (here's to hope they'll import them to Europe though!)

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Furism posted:

I meant novellas, sorry. Last time I checked (that was some time ago) I couldn't find them on the backer portal as stand-alone add-ons - maybe I didn't read properly. But if I can buy them from Amazon then it's all good! (here's to hope they'll import them to Europe though!)

The novellas won't be on Amazon no, but they're available as an add-on: https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/store Scroll all the way down to or ctrl+f to:
$15 USD Digital Novella Compilation
or
$40 USD (+shipping) Physical Novella Compilation

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Brother None posted:

The novellas won't be on Amazon no,

Hey! Look who hates money! :keke:

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Brother None posted:

The novellas won't be on Amazon no, but they're available as an add-on: https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/store Scroll all the way down to or ctrl+f to:
$15 USD Digital Novella Compilation
or
$40 USD (+shipping) Physical Novella Compilation

Gotcha. I went for the Digital novellas because the physical requires a $45+ donation, but all these already include at least one novella - doesn't look like a hugely attractive option. Why do the physical novellas have this requirements, as I'm going to pay shipping anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Because it costs a heckuva lot to print a professional book on paper, compared to an ebook. They'll almost certainly be taking a loss on stuff like that physical novel.

• Locked thread