Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Are there apps where you can store and have easy access to a list of words and expressions? My current solution is to use BiteSMS to message myself. Takes all of two actions, but it's kinda makeshift. A bunch of dictionary apps have bookmark features but I'd rather have something tailored to my purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Vegetable posted:

Are there apps where you can store and have easy access to a list of words and expressions? My current solution is to use BiteSMS to message myself. Takes all of two actions, but it's kinda makeshift. A bunch of dictionary apps have bookmark features but I'd rather have something tailored to my purpose.

Like the keyboard shortcuts built into the phone?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

No, like an app that's just a word bank. You can store words or phrases in it for easy reference.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Vegetable posted:

Evernote?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Vegetable posted:

No, like an app that's just a word bank. You can store words or phrases in it for easy reference.

Notes?!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah I'm not gonna sit here and say nothing exists, because we live in a world of "there's an app for that!" But that strikes me as a fairly unusual request/use case for a specialized app.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
If it's just an unordered list of things I have no idea why absolutely any note taking app like the default Notes wouldn't work. Do they need to be searchable or put into categories or something?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Sounds vaguely TextExpander territory.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Question Mark Mound posted:

If it's just an unordered list of things I have no idea why absolutely any note taking app like the default Notes wouldn't work. Do they need to be searchable or put into categories or something?
I'd like to sort entries into ordered lists under customizable categories and be able to search them. Notes doesn't order your entries, and Evernote seems a little overpowered and complicated for my purpose.

Feenix posted:

Yeah I'm not gonna sit here and say nothing exists, because we live in a world of "there's an app for that!" But that strikes me as a fairly unusual request/use case for a specialized app.
Frankly I didn't have a feature list in mind; I just figured there'd already be a specialized app out there with a bunch of useful functions I hadn't thought of, since that's how I started using most of my productivity apps. But yeah I get that this is a pretty weird request :v:

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Vegetable posted:

I'd like to sort entries into ordered lists under customizable categories and be able to search them. Notes doesn't order your entries, and Evernote seems a little overpowered and complicated for my purpose.
Frankly I didn't have a feature list in mind; I just figured there'd already be a specialized app out there with a bunch of useful functions I hadn't thought of, since that's how I started using most of my productivity apps. But yeah I get that this is a pretty weird request :v:

OneNote? I've been using OneNote over Evernote for the past month or so and it's actually really good.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Are there any SSH clients that make URLs clickable to open in a browser? None of the free apps I've tried do, and its kind of a silly feature to pay for a bunch of different ones just to check.

billy cuts
Aug 14, 2003

wrists of fury
Buglord

Vegetable posted:

This seems closer to what you're looking for, but I don't see anything about entering phrases/expressions -- https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/word-word-my-personal-dictionary/id404083452?mt=8

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

eddiewalker posted:

Are there any SSH clients that make URLs clickable to open in a browser?
Prompt does. They open in Safari with no option to change it to something else (e.g., Chrome) if that's something you care about.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
What apps do you guys recommend to stream videos from my pc to my Ipad? So far I've heard of Air Playit, Air Video, StreamToMe, VLC Streamer, and Plex, but I don't know which ones are better than others. Which ones are you guys using and liking the best?

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008
I've been using StreamToMe and haven't had any problems, a lot more stable compared to my experiences streaming with XBMC to my Raspberry Pi.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I personally use Air Video and have never been disappointed by it. I've also heard great things about StreamToMe (which I believe also does audio, if that interests you).

I also make extensive use of Air Video's conversion feature which, if you've got a file that has trouble converting on the fly, will convert a vid to a mp4 for straight-up playback.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I convert everything into mp4 and drop it into iTunes' auto-add folder and play it vis air sharing.

Only downside is it's horrible at keeping track of what you've watched or where in a video you stopped playing.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

-Blackadder- posted:

What apps do you guys recommend to stream videos from my pc to my Ipad? So far I've heard of Air Playit, Air Video, StreamToMe, VLC Streamer, and Plex, but I don't know which ones are better than others. Which ones are you guys using and liking the best?
I mainly use Air Playit, because it 'tracks' the shows I've seen and haven't seen, so I know what episode I left off on when I finally decide to go back and watch Dexter season 5.

Fourteen
Aug 15, 2002

No, no, no you imbecile! That's not talc, that's paprika!
I haven't tried any except StreamToMe since that's worked great.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Is there an app or work around for having to enter your apple ID/password for every free app you download?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

th3t00t posted:

Is there an app or work around for having to enter your apple ID/password for every free app you download?

Not outside of jailbreaking.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Update to VLC for IOS is out. Supposedly fixes audio issues...haven't checked it out yet, though.

[edit] Update to VLC may fix some sound bugs but MKV-sounds (AC3?) is not one of them. Solution is still (anecdotally) to change your device's timezone to like, Vancouver or whatever works for you...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 24, 2013

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Lexicon posted:

Sounds vaguely TextExpander territory.

Vegetable: I'd second this as a fast, flexible, perhaps halfway decent solution for what you seem to be trying to do.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
I'm looking for a quick way to get URLs to my iOS clipboard from another device. Simplest way is to email it and copy it, but having something more automated would be awesome. I tried setting up some IFTTTT actions that would take a URL from Pocket, and text it to me. Doing that sends a bit.ly URL, which kinda sucks. I also tried an Evernote append recipe which just doesn't work, so I've set it up wrong.

Ideally I could just use some kind of extension or bookmarklet that would go somewhere that I could easily get to on my phone, mainly just to message to others. I don't have a mac running 10.8, so I can't do iMessage directly, otherwise that would be a nice way to handle it for my contacts with iPhones.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Unacknowledged posted:

I'm looking for a quick way to get URLs to my iOS clipboard from another device. Simplest way is to email it and copy it, but having something more automated would be awesome. I tried setting up some IFTTTT actions that would take a URL from Pocket, and text it to me. Doing that sends a bit.ly URL, which kinda sucks. I also tried an Evernote append recipe which just doesn't work, so I've set it up wrong.

Ideally I could just use some kind of extension or bookmarklet that would go somewhere that I could easily get to on my phone, mainly just to message to others. I don't have a mac running 10.8, so I can't do iMessage directly, otherwise that would be a nice way to handle it for my contacts with iPhones.

The Notes app syncs with the OSX Notes app via iCloud.

Also, Chrome will let you open tabs between devices.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Unacknowledged posted:

Check out Clink.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

Unacknowledged posted:

If you have a Mac at all (10.8 or not), maybe try Pastebot?

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

The Notes app syncs with the OSX Notes app via iCloud.

Also, Chrome will let you open tabs between devices.

Man I would love it if the Notes app synced with Outlook notes for us Windows folks.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

How do you get MKVs onto your phone? I'd like to try VLC :shobon:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

How do you get MKVs onto your phone? I'd like to try VLC :shobon:

Drop them into VLC from the Apps tab of iTunes, or use the wifi upload in VLC.

You can also repackage h264 MKVs (which is most of them these days) as MP4s that will play in the stock video player with Subler on a Mac or something else I forget on Windows. It's not transcoding, so it only takes a few seconds to convert.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Wow the wifi transfer is a great idea but it's painfully slow. 1GB has taken about 15 minutes so far and it's only a third through.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Wow the wifi transfer is a great idea but it's painfully slow. 1GB has taken about 15 minutes so far and it's only a third through.
Or maybe it's not such a great idea...

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

You could try a cable?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

You could try a cable?

I was just trying it, Pissflaps.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Google's iOS YouTube app seems to be a little inconsistent with how it handles going "back" to a list of videos.

For example, if I select a channel and then go to playlists, scroll down a few pages, select a video. If I watch the video, there's a good chance that when I hit the back button it'll take me back to the TOP of the playlist. There's also a chance that it'll take me to the spot in the playlist where the video I just watched was.

Makes it annoying to browse long playlists when you have to scroll down every time you finish a video :(

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 25, 2013

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Question, do any of the dlna streaming apps have a browser built in, or can that technology only push saved videos. Sorry for sounding retarded, because I really don't know what I'm talking about.

The question stems from me wanting to stream episodes of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee from my phone to my Samsung smart TV without using a middleman device.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

The Dave posted:

Question, do any of the dlna streaming apps have a browser built in, or can that technology only push saved videos. Sorry for sounding retarded, because I really don't know what I'm talking about.

The question stems from me wanting to stream episodes of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee from my phone to my Samsung smart TV without using a middleman device.
Is there anything like a Crackle app for the TV itself?

(Or the built in browser on those things, but I remember using it once a while back on one and eh... :suicide:)

werewerewolf
Mar 22, 2001

Unacknowledged posted:

https://www.handoffapp.com is what I use. It's nice because it saves a history of links passed to the device.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Any recommendations for an app that lets me control my PC's mouse from across the room? I watch movies on the monitor connected to the PC and I want to be able to change volume and pick and choose different movies to play but I don't want to get up from the couch for even a single second. I've got an ipad and iphone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Use XBMC as the media player on your PC, then use the XBMC iOS remote, or use iTunes and the apple Remote app.. Controlling your mouse directly is going to be clumsy.

• Locked thread