Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I felt so useless the first couple days playing, but once you learn how to parry effectively, it puts you miles above the bulk of the player-base.

I'm far from a complete player, but I feel like I can at least contribute positively now as opposed to just giggling at all the ridiculousness.

This game is just stupid fun and if you're getting mad/frustrated, you're doing it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

boho posted:

You must be pretty zen then, because rushing out a spawn and being dead 20 seconds later for an entire game unless I pussyfoot in the back as an Archer is my definition of unfun. I feel like I can't play the game.

You aren't pressing C enough.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Section Z posted:

I've been feeling it the opposite way. Wondering why the hell my MAA is barely faster than Vanguards or loving knights in plate mail trying to chase THEM down. Sprinting or not, unless I'm close enough to gently caress them to death, you can just whiff and whiff trying to hit them in the back while they obliviously press onwards to fight the vanguard in front of them, who then slices both your head's off in one swing. Plus most of the time people are not so moronic as to not notice 'hey, I hear footsteps desperatly trying to catch up behind me' even if you don't scream like a gentleman. Like lots of higher rank Vanguards who have mastered the art of 180 sprint helicopter swing, where they psychically time it just right to instantly U turn and zip past you, killing you with the backswing of their sword.
Chasing someone is bad and that time is better spent killing. That guy isn't doing anything as well, so neither of you are accomplishing anything.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Scalding Coffee posted:

Chasing someone is bad and that time is better spent killing. That guy isn't doing anything as well, so neither of you are accomplishing anything.

Yeah if you can't catch and kill them quickly don't bother chasing. If they are running in your side of the map someone on your team will probably catch them anyways. If they are running towards their spawn, chasing will probably get you killed. Odds are you will get swarmed and killed by their team. I've had a lot of stupid deaths come from going into tunnel vision on a fleeing enemy only to realize I am now surrounded by 3 angry vanguards.

FrancoFish posted:

You aren't pressing C enough.

The best way to enjoy this game is to find your favorite voice commands and spam them whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Which reminds me, today I was playing a team death match that came down to me versus a knight and a vanguard. The knight hosed up and got killed so it was just me against the vanguard. I taunted him from a safe difference while spamming the respect command. He did the same in response. However the vanguard's taunt is really loving long so I had an opportunity to run up and chop his head off. I couldn't resist, and the resulting cheap kill caused his team to go berserk in chat. I told them it was his fault for falling for my cunning trap :v:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 24, 2013

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Air Julio posted:

I felt so useless the first couple days playing, but once you learn how to parry effectively, it puts you miles above the bulk of the player-base.

I'm far from a complete player, but I feel like I can at least contribute positively now as opposed to just giggling at all the ridiculousness.

This game is just stupid fun and if you're getting mad/frustrated, you're doing it wrong.

Pretty much this. If I ever do get frustrated, it's because the enemy team has people that are just so good as to not really be viable to kill. When I start to get mad, I just server hop.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
My new fav thing is to feint someone into parrying. Kill them, then mash laugh over their corpse. Bonus points if you're a Mason knight. That laugh pretty accurately portrays my amusement.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

:dance:

I have joined and can now be found by all who choose to accompany me in playing this game.

Also, unrelated, but I accomplished something I was kind of proud of. 100 wins before 100 losses in Duel. I'm now like 6-8 Wins over .500.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Oh no, I'm not even talking about chasing FLEEING enemies. I'm talking simply running after some rear end in a top hat who is the only victim in sight in kill em all modes that isn't even aware of you yet, across the hills and the valleys and to the end of time until you finally catch up with the rear end in a top hat in time for somebody else to kill them as they leap dick first onto their bastard sword. MMA doesn't feel fast, at all, when fuckers in plate mail can pretty much keep pace with me.

However smart or dumb it is to chase after people at any moment, feeling as slow as the guy wearing a half ton of armor is offputting. It's a small thing, but it's been bugging me the most even compared to things that kill you.

EDIT: vvv Knocking a dude's helmet off with a knife never gets old.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 24, 2013

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

This is why my MaA always runs with a set of throwing knives. Hitting some heavily wounded runner in the back and finishing him off is easily my favourite thing in the game.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
I can't stand how good some people are at kiting. Its infuriating to see an enemy knight run between 5 dumbass teammates who either miss him completely or end up team killing each other. If you ever try to fight these guys they run away from you and then suddenly turn around, already swinging and kill you. I've tried doing it myself but I am terrible.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

dog nougat posted:

My new fav thing is to feint someone into parrying. Kill them, then mash laugh over their corpse. Bonus points if you're a Mason knight. That laugh pretty accurately portrays my amusement.

This works pretty well with firepot kills too, especially if it's some game design expert who hasn't played a second of any class other than vanguard.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

boho posted:

Yep, did the tutorial.

Archer - Can't hit anything, get one shot by melee. Backstabbed someone once which was vaguely satisfying.
Man at Arms - Can't hit anything, not sure my weapon requires being up someone's rear end while other MAAs seem to be able to hit me at spear range.
Vanguard - Had the most success here (with .1 k:d). Dash attack either never works or gets me one-shot, sometimes I can sneak in a stab in a clusterfuck and get a kill. Get easily owned things that attack fast (Archers, MAA).
Knight - Have yet to play, but a slow blockbot sounds like a really bad idea in a game where I keep dying to really fast people who dodge, jump, and strafe around like it's Unreal Tournament.

You must be pretty zen then, because rushing out a spawn and being dead 20 seconds later for an entire game unless I pussyfoot in the back as an Archer is my definition of unfun. I feel like I can't play the game.

Frankly, it sounds like your problems are latency-related rather than you not grasping the game. If not, don't worry too much about it, I had about as good results as you did when I first started. I'm still not a particularly good player; but I have performed well, and ended up King in the relevant objective maps twice. Take the vanguard, learn to parry, and cut heads off. The knight is also newbie friendly, being faster isn't much benefit if you don't know how to use your speed to your advantage yet so the extra health of that tin can is great.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Picked this up on sale the other day. Been trying to play archer...something I am not particularly good at apparently. After reading through the thread a bit I decided to try the Vanguard with a bardiche. First trip out I mashed sprint, left clicked, and lopped 2 heads before solo'ing a really terrible knight. I think I am in love :swoon:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

the moments where everything comes together are jsut so sweet. THe other day I singlehandedly cleared an entire side of the throne room as a Mason, and got in to land a shot on the king before I got mobbed. The king died shortly thereafter as my teammates flooded that side in my wake. I killed about 8 people in 45 seconds or so. I finished like 21-19, so it was not like I was doing spectacular, it all just clicked for that short time.

That was my finiest moment, the next game I went like 10-25 on hillside.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the moments where everything comes together are jsut so sweet. THe other day I singlehandedly cleared an entire side of the throne room as a Mason, and got in to land a shot on the king before I got mobbed. The king died shortly thereafter as my teammates flooded that side in my wake. I killed about 8 people in 45 seconds or so. I finished like 21-19, so it was not like I was doing spectacular, it all just clicked for that short time.

That was my finiest moment, the next game I went like 10-25 on hillside.

Yeah, imo the game is built on moments like this. Was in a last team standing last night that went all the way to the 13th round. Got down to me(knight) vs a vanguard and a knight. Got lucky in that the vanguard was wounded, so one hit took him down after some brief sparring with the two of them. Then, the knight and I dueled for a good minute or so before my killing blow struck true. Chat erupted and I felt like a million bucks.

I'll deal with a hundred 1-10 matches just to get another moment like that.:feelsgood:

Hog Jowls
Apr 10, 2004

The ditch is nearer.

Shibawanko posted:

Your assumptions are based on a server with experienced players who will defend you and will dodge shots. Most servers are populated with fools who just want kills and ignore a far away player. Especially on TO defense i find it useful to be a sniper with HCB.

Honestly, if your team is that awful, you really ought to be jumping into the scrum and helping them be not awful. Not to be a dick, but to be a dick, I've yet to see someone sitting back sniping contribute to the team in any kind of meaningful way, and I really doubt you're an exception. You're bitching about people fishing for kills, yet that's all you're doing. Especially on TO, if we're losing badly it is almost invariably because we have several people sitting in the back trying to score sweet headshots with impunity and not actually contributing to the objective. If all you're doing IS fishing for kills, I understand the motivation, but don't act like it's the best (or only) use of the weapon or the one that will contribute the most.

boho posted:

Also, don't play team last team standing, since it consists of a lot sitting around. Play a game mode where you can spawn continuously.

Hog Jowls fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 24, 2013

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Air Julio posted:

I'll deal with a hundred 1-10 matches just to get another moment like that.:feelsgood:

The problem with LTS is that there ARE a hundred 1-10 matches to every one good one. And for those hundred matches it's about 15 minutes of painfully boring waiting to get back to something actually good.

I usually try to start a vote to change the map if the server will allow it. If it doesn't I'll be as disruptive as possible for about a minute, then declare everyone who tolerates LTS to be some reckless hyperbole, and quit out.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Play FFA. It's how you learn to kill people. From there you graduate onto TDM and Team Objective and Dueling if that's your thing.

e: Bringing an archer into a duel server and winning with your crossbow + dagger/jav is always fun. Some people get so mad that they lost to an archer.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
LTS is usually the least fun game mode, it usually attracts the most obnoxious "chivalry is serious business" types as well. Really not the game mode I'd choose when learning the ropes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've never played FFA but it sounds like an awful way to learn this game. You'd have nobody to rely on and would just get killed over and over by better players since your survival depends entirely on your own skill. At least in team modes you have people to fall back on, so even if you suck your team can carry you.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Coolguye posted:

The problem with LTS is that there ARE a hundred 1-10 matches to every one good one. And for those hundred matches it's about 15 minutes of painfully boring waiting to get back to something actually good.

I usually try to start a vote to change the map if the server will allow it. If it doesn't I'll be as disruptive as possible for about a minute, then declare everyone who tolerates LTS to be some reckless hyperbole, and quit out.

Y'know, I actually like LTS. It arguably rewards smart gameplay more than the modes. Sure the game can be janky and get you killed for no reason sometimes. The caveat is that most players are morons who will all try to rush one guy, sometimes forcing you to square off against 5 guys at once, usually resulting in your death. Yeah it can be a nuisance waiting a couple of minutes for the next round to start, but its not really the end of the world.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

I've never played FFA but it sounds like an awful way to learn this game. You'd have nobody to rely on and would just get killed over and over by better players since your survival depends entirely on your own skill. At least in team modes you have people to fall back on, so even if you suck your team can carry you.

It's more a handy way to get fast unlocks due to higher amount of carnage and also serves as dumb recess mode from the more objective focused game modes.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
LTS is pretty fun on the arena map because you pretty much clash in the middle and everybody's dead within a minute. The worst one is ruins because there's so many platforms and it's so easy to hide that each round takes 20 minutes of guys running around trying to find where that last archer camped out.

I'm also glad FFA exists so I could finally unlock the maul, I couldn't get much done with the war hammer in regular play but I got enough kills by running up to guys fighting somebody else and hitting them from behind. Don't even have to worry about hitting the other guy since he's also an enemy.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I've never played FFA

Go play FFA :colbert:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Honestly, if you want to learn to play then you're best off playing Objective. It's the only mode where you can easily practice fighting as a team or lone wolfing and running after similarly alone enemies.

FFA is fun, but you don't get much practice out of it since half the time you die because it's such a clusterfuck that someone blindsides you while you're 1v1-ing.

Hmm. I guess CTF wouldn't be too bad to learn on either

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Woohoo! Got my veteran Knight helmet.

I think LTS is fun in it's own way, but the objectives are easily the most fun mode. Running up screaming and trying to bum rush the gate, or grouping up for a quick area clear and trying to hold your ground is just way too fun. Having to constantly change your priorities while fighting adds way more to the combat than the deathmatch modes do imo. I love how they are all multi-stage goals that tie in to one main goal. They are really well designed and the shining gem of this game in general. I hope they add more soon that are just as good.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Free For All is good as a break into mindless combat, and you can use it to practise your combat somewhat, try out different weapons and so on.

LTS is great, it's the one mode that is most rewarding of good teamplay. Only real problem is when it's on a large map where every round gets bogged down near the end until it times out because the last two/three players of each team have no idea where the remnants of the other team are.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
King of the Hill is great fun for fires and smoke bombs. The best kind of fun.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho

Bow to your Lord.

All it took was most of my inventory and multiple real-life dollars from selling cards :negative:

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The worst game mode on the Classic servers is the FFA fistfight. 20 minutes is waaay too long for that round.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

emanresu tnuocca posted:

LTS is usually the least fun game mode, it usually attracts the most obnoxious "chivalry is serious business" types as well. Really not the game mode I'd choose when learning the ropes.

LTS is one of my favorite modes once I started playing exclusively on Classic/Multiplay servers since you don't get the types of people who only dominate in one game mode. The only bad part is that most seem to play FFA twice as often as other modes so that can get old. On the plus side it's a fun mode to goof off in. Lately I wander around with a heavy crossbow and spectate battles, cheer, then pledge my loyalty to the winner. I don't attack unless attacked but I'll follow around helping people get kills if they play along. Usually it ends in being chased by a vanguard who then gets shanked but there's been some terrific success stories.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Glass of Milk posted:

The worst game mode on the Classic servers is the FFA fistfight. 20 minutes is waaay too long for that round.
Yeah, those servers are great except for this. 5 minutes, tops. Its a fun break, but 20 is just awful.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Glass of Milk posted:

Is that on the tavern map with the booze barrels? I don't actually play the game on that map, I just go straight to the barrels and then run around yelling because the drunk audio effect is hilarious.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Jymmybob posted:

LTS is one of my favorite modes once I started playing exclusively on Classic/Multiplay servers since you don't get the types of people who only dominate in one game mode. The only bad part is that most seem to play FFA twice as often as other modes so that can get old. On the plus side it's a fun mode to goof off in. Lately I wander around with a heavy crossbow and spectate battles, cheer, then pledge my loyalty to the winner. I don't attack unless attacked but I'll follow around helping people get kills if they play along. Usually it ends in being chased by a vanguard who then gets shanked but there's been some terrific success stories.

This man knows a good time. I do the same, but with Javelins.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Jymmybob posted:

On the plus side it's a fun mode to goof off in. Lately I wander around with a heavy crossbow and spectate battles, cheer, then pledge my loyalty to the winner.

Oh my god yes. Playing LTS as something goofy like a mercenary or peaceful melee archer or something is always hilarious. I personally like playing as a knight or MAA, and just following archers around, and taunting or laughing or something. If the archer plays along I'll protect them from anyone who comes close, but if they don't I'll just let people murder them up and down while I bang my shield and shout "Kill those archers!" It gets even better when I wait until all of the archers are dead, then I kill every left over enemy on my own and the archers complain "what the gently caress bro why didnt you do that when I was still alive?"

Also, trying to get people to fist fight with you. Eventually you will get a horde of fisters running around punching people, and anyone who pulls out a sword gets mobbed by both teams. My favorite thing ever was when one dude on in the arena map kept using a sword so we all just hosed him up over and over. At one point we all lined up at the top of the exit ramp, and if he came near we'd just kick him back down, until the gate closed and he died due to the AFK killing thing. He was pissed.

Slappy Moose fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 25, 2013

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Glass of Milk posted:

It was fun until everyone left and I was trapped all alone in the ring with 11 minutes to go. I am terrible with so many things but apparently I'm some kind of monster in the boxing ring. Lucky 13 wins in a row, the last few being from knights jumping me from behind before my health refilled at all. It was strange as hell, because during the post match punch up's everyone seems so much better at it than the few times there was an actual boxing ring involved.

(The secret is I just spammed overhand punch until they couldn't block anymore :ssh:)

But yes, random punch fests in free for alls or whatever are the best, though so far my record has only been three takers before it was Vanguard sword O'clock.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Griz posted:

Is that on the tavern map with the booze barrels? I don't actually play the game on that map, I just go straight to the barrels and then run around yelling because the drunk audio effect is hilarious.

Just stand at the barrels and spam taunt/laugh. Most are designated a 'safe zone' so you can't deal or receive damage within a few feet of them. Pubbies somehow refuse to understand this so you'll be called all sorts of delightful things.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Joined a TO match midway in that defend the king stage. I got out to see like 10 knights with tower shields surrounding the king. Spammed C a few times and soon after all 10 knights were screaming and banging their shields. :3:

Orv
May 4, 2011
:smith: Why can you swing a ten foot piece of metal and wood faster than I can punch in a straight line, Vanguard?

On the bright side, I did some science and it is literally impossible to punch someone in the back if they are moving. I also saw Abe get murdered a couple times. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
Awesome. Duel mode has stopped saving my loadout between rounds. Annoying as balls.

• Locked thread