Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Halloween Jack posted:

I picked up Cyclops (needed a cheap tactician), Storm (because of what you said), and Ms. Marvel (because of Frank Cho's Mighty Avengers art DON'T JUDGE ME).

By the way, is Fantomex any good? The wiki has character reviews which tell me that every character is really really good.

Fantomex is ok but nothing amazing, if you bought him then you'd probably find yourself using Cyclops more when you really need a tactician. I like him but I wouldn't make getting him a priority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Last night in back to back runs I got a Custom Only for Killing and a Custom Touch of Flame and Shadow, received a Hammering Nail on the first run of Mephisto, then rolled 10 gold on the roulette this morning. I'm going to stop playing this game before I get struck by lightning or something.

Whargoul
Dec 4, 2010

No, Babou, that was all sarcasm.
YES, ALL OF IT, YOU FOX-EARED ASSHOLE!

Starsnostars posted:

Fantomex is ok but nothing amazing, if you bought him then you'd probably find yourself using Cyclops more when you really need a tactician. I like him but I wouldn't make getting him a priority.

Fantomex is one of my favorite comic characters so I picked him up on that alone. I never really used him much at first but now I have him at a level 9 and he comes in handy. His misdirection evade seems to trigger a lot for me.

Edit: Meant to respond to the post asking about Fantomex.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Whargoul posted:

Fantomex is one of my favorite comic characters so I picked him up on that alone. I never really used him much at first but now I have him at a level 9 and he comes in handy. His misdirection evade seems to trigger a lot for me.

I think a lot of characters fall into this grey area... they're good enough, but not "top level", so it's easy to just not use them.

I'm looking forward to Season 2 forcing us to use alternate character combos, it's a great idea.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
So which characters would you recommend for lazy players in that stretch, when you're overlevelled, between "strategy is no longer really necessary" and "Hulk can one-shot the enemy team"?

Right now I've got a good team going with Magneto and Cyclops, what with all the counters, followups and preemptive attacks, but I'm sure it can be improved. Union Jack, maybe? What would be good on my Agent?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Fred is on posted:

So which characters would you recommend for lazy players in that stretch, when you're overlevelled, between "strategy is no longer really necessary" and "Hulk can one-shot the enemy team"?

Right now I've got a good team going with Magneto and Cyclops, what with all the counters, followups and preemptive attacks, but I'm sure it can be improved. Union Jack, maybe? What would be good on my Agent?
X-23 and Cyclops for me, with a Triggerman on my agent. AE catastrophe. Nothing in any challenge mode stops that team, although if I'm facing tons of infs I'll swap Cyke for Kurt.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Damned trigger man. I fought Zemo a bunch of times on iOS, never got credit.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Fred is on posted:

I swapped out Omega Sentinel for Union Jack and he's a lot better partner on mission 12.5 since Red Skull can do his "Cosmic Cleanse" move and get rid of Omega's Buffs.

He's basically Auto-Pilot as long as you keep using his first and second moves properly. If you can pair him with Cyclops, everybody ends up flanked and counter-attacking and follow-up attacking and gently caress dude just go make yourself a sandwich.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Fred is on posted:

Wolverine and Cyclops are a good combo. Wolverine gets extra turns and his damage is pretty drat good, especially when someone is bleeding.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

FYI, if anyone wants to get started with this game on playdom, there's a handy SDCC freebie (scroll to the bottom of the page for details):

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Will Research ever be made useful again? The weapons you can unlock were decent before the flood of good SpecOps/PVP drops and the consumables are pretty bad when compared to the free items you can get from visiting allies. The suits aren't needed since you can buy the 8-slot trenchcoats with gold (and the PVP trenchcoats can't be researched at all unless you actually won them).

It's really only good for unlocking ISOs but the last ones we got scale to Agent level so I doubt there's gonna be another tier to research.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm hoping season 2 will give new research, even if its just letting us research the early pvp coats.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Eddain posted:

Will Research ever be made useful again? The weapons you can unlock were decent before the flood of good SpecOps/PVP drops and the consumables are pretty bad when compared to the free items you can get from visiting allies. The suits aren't needed since you can buy the 8-slot trenchcoats with gold (and the PVP trenchcoats can't be researched at all unless you actually won them).

It's really only good for unlocking ISOs but the last ones we got scale to Agent level so I doubt there's gonna be another tier to research.

If you have everything researched now, probably not. I actually go through enough Gene Inoculations that I have to buy them from time to time (slapping one one Cap in the non-epic fight in 12-2 keeps things like bleeds, stuns, and Baron's Mark from stopping Cap), so that research was useful.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

This weeks sale item is the Transcranial Stimulator. If you have the gold, I'd recommend getting it. It's one of the most unique weapons (there is really nothing else like it) and is incredible piece of meta for PvP fights. It's also great on a lot of PvE fights (any of the ones where you know you'll be fighting someone with psycic attacks.)

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
There's a new post in the Producer's Notes on Season 2 thread, and it more or less confirms one of my fears: since Season 2 is playable regardless of Season 1 progress, the difficulty scales to your level when you start the mission of the first time. That's going to make farming difficult if you're already high-level, I guess.

Otherwise, some cool stuff, still. The Iron Fist costume comes in both classes when you earn it, which makes for some cool versatility (though we still don't know if that'll make him good). Professor X as a NPC is nice too, and should provide a bit more variety in the mission banter. That, and it means no more deploys that consist of sending a very specific X-Man to act as a courier for him.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

They've also announced a Gold Sale on the Facebook version of the game. The item you get when buying gold is a Sword that puts Bleed/Shred on enemies and scales in damage as your agent's health lowers. (Desperate Attack)

It also has a new debuff on it, called Mangle. It last for 1 round and makes the target unable to use Buff's or receive healing.

Interesting...also, as I pointed out the Transcranial stimulator is on sale.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
More depressingly, they keep mentioning more previews next week so no hopes of it dropping today/this weekend.

But it is coming "Extremely Soon", along with Christmas and the end of the universe.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They must have Games Workshops PR department "When is it coming out? Soon, really soon, but so is everything else".

Has anyone noticed that Blackheart is a little easier lately? Not that he's a pushover, but i'm able to get him down 20% or so today, where I could barely get him to the first goal. He just seems to take more damage lately.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

They must have Games Workshops PR department "When is it coming out? Soon, really soon, but so is everything else".

Has anyone noticed that Blackheart is a little easier lately? Not that he's a pushover, but i'm able to get him down 20% or so today, where I could barely get him to the first goal. He just seems to take more damage lately.

He doesn't seem like he dodges as much as the first couple days, which helps a ton. We've also started started to run the counter to the counter, which puts us on a neutral standing or favorable depending on which class we're facing. Give the hivemind enough time and we'll figure out most issues. Tact Blackheart is still a pain but that's due more to who I'm running and my Agent setup then anything else.

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank
His scrapper version still seems to sucessfully dodge about 75% of the time.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Getting pretty tired of the attempted hype train. It's a god drat Facebook game; just release the next chapter of horribly balanced lovely pay-to-win garbage with the C-list heroes you have left.

Instead of posting all over their facebook page stupid misleading poo poo like CHAPTER 2* IS NOW LIVE!!!!

*producer chat

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Kali11324 posted:

His scrapper version still seems to sucessfully dodge about 75% of the time.
Likely because Scrapper Blackheart has the unique "Tenebrous Form" which gives him a high chance to dodge melee attacks (if you mouseover you can see the tooltip).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Likely because Scrapper Blackheart has the unique "Tenebrous Form" which gives him a high chance to dodge melee attacks (if you mouseover you can see the tooltip).

Yea, its a good general rule to take an opposite class that does something the class normally doesn't do, melee blasters, ranged brusiers etc.

Syrinxx posted:

Getting pretty tired of the attempted hype train. It's a god drat Facebook game; just release the next chapter of horribly balanced lovely pay-to-win garbage with the C-list heroes you have left.

Instead of posting all over their facebook page stupid misleading poo poo like CHAPTER 2* IS NOW LIVE!!!!

C List heroes and like the handful of decent characters they're still missing (Iceman), and outfits for everyone.

I was thinking about that. Maybe Wanda could get her Marvel Now costume that gives an area wide reality warping, giving your team a higher dodge rate, and reducing the enemies chance to dodge.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011
I've been equipping the Laser Spotter since early on, it's good for all of them but especially helpful for Scrapper BH.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
For Scrapper Blackheart I just run alt costume Hawkeye with P5 Cyclops. Your bottom position character always goes 2nd, so Hawkeye can drop a Pinpoint on Blackheart for 4 turns of 100% accuracy. P5 Cyclops helps add damage with his passive and his optic beam adds Flanked, so everyone gets extra hits in. If you're particularly lucky then Hawkeye can trigger multiple Rapid Fires along with the P5 damage bonus and single-handedly take out 10%+ HP just from one turn.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Hmm. I already have Shatterstar for the next Spec-ops, so now I'm wondering whether to get Gambit or Cable first in preparation for Season 2. They're the only ones I know will be required that I don't have yet.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
I finally 5 starred every chapter 2 mission and I got a golden tonfa. Are golden weapons useful? I'll probably try it for a while anyway since I don't have much luck getting offensive gear from roulettes and stuff.

Mr. Big
Sep 26, 2006

BONK!

ServoMST3K posted:

I finally 5 starred every chapter 2 mission and I got a golden tonfa. Are golden weapons useful? I'll probably try it for a while anyway since I don't have much luck getting offensive gear from roulettes and stuff.

I regularly use the Golden Screaming Eagle. The Golden Tyrant Blade can be useful on occasion.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
I'm gonna have to wait a while to 5 star any more chapters, I need to save my cp for Fantomex and SW to finish this SO. I don't have any of the other "premium" characters recruited yet, but Spider Man will probably be my first after SO.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

ServoMST3K posted:

Depends on your level but there are several golden weapons that stay useful to level 150+, including Screaming Eagle, Tyrant Blade and the new Raze which pairs up great with WW2 Captain America.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

The producer's notes just released the Iron Fist changes. Gotta say, they look pretty sweet.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

The producer's notes just released the Iron Fist changes. Gotta say, they look pretty sweet.

Even without the uniform, he can interrupt counterattacks, purge debuffs, break shields and restore stamina even when he's stunned. That sounds like even more of a jump up in power than the Cyclops buff.

Maybe the chapter completion rewards for chapters 3-5 will be uniforms for the rest of the 15 CP heroes, and they'll also be getting buffed in the process. That could be pretty cool, and would make it much easier to assemble a baseline competent team when you're just starting out.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hopefully that would include Carols Captain Marvel outfit.

Has anyone noticed that Magick is like the best scrapper now? She's Wolverine tier now. I just had her do 50k to inf Blackheart with her beam thingy.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 28, 2013

Whargoul
Dec 4, 2010

No, Babou, that was all sarcasm.
YES, ALL OF IT, YOU FOX-EARED ASSHOLE!
I have been farming command points from chapter 12 and have enough for a 90 point character. I still have Wasp, Tigra, Hercules, and Black Knight to get. Is any one of those recommended over any others? Or should I save for a 135 point character? (I still need Psylocke, Shatterstar and Red Hulk).

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Save up for Shatterstar, he'll be needed for the next spec ops.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Whargoul posted:

I have been farming command points from chapter 12 and have enough for a 90 point character. I still have Wasp, Tigra, Hercules, and Black Knight to get. Is any one of those recommended over any others? Or should I save for a 135 point character? (I still need Psylocke, Shatterstar and Red Hulk).

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Fantomex was required for this SpecOp, so Shatterstar will almost certainly be needed for the next. He's probably the way to go even though he's not a great character. Pyslock is probably the best of the characters on that list (and probably the only one you'd use in PVP, though I didn't see her much in the last season), with Tigra and Hercules also being really good.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

poo poo, everything I'm seeing about Elektra is saying she'll be a PvP-based lockbox hero. That won't be fun.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
But think of all the chances you'll have to win TEN THOUSAND SILVER while unlocking comic book covers!

The idea of anyone "saving up" to win SHATTERSTAR makes me depressed.

Edit: VVV I was going to ask if I should grab Wolverine or Union Jack. I'd rather have Union Jack instead of Snikbubs on principle, but I figure Wolverine is probably overpowered and is needed for more special deploys and missions.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 28, 2013

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
On a similar note, I could use a second scrapper and I have 106 CP saved up. Should I buy Wolverine now(because he's good and is required for an epic boss and premium mission), or should I save for Shatterstar? Statistically speaking I'd probably still need to buy the other two required heroes for the next SpecOp, though, so I'm leaning towards Wolverine at the moment. Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
If you don't have Iron Fist, nab him for cheap. Otherwise, get Quicksilver; he's only 48 CP and is top-tier once you boost his attack.

• Locked thread