Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Averages 51 with the bat and 32 with the ball! He's the new Garry Sobers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Doctor Cave posted:

Well, I guess he has to be a spinner.

Or a pancake attendant.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

tanglewood1420 posted:

Averages 51 with the bat and 32 with the ball! He's the new Garry Sobers!

Knight him right away imo

e: Haven't seen this posted, pretty solid discussion about Clarke and his place in the side, worth a read

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2013/jul/24/the-spin-michael-clarke-australia-captain?commentpage=2

Hyperriker fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 24, 2013

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Match State: Stumps - Day 1

89.4 de Lange to Warner, OUT

DA Warner b de Lange 193 (315m 226b 29x4 1x6) SR: 85.39

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Maxwell got a ton as well. There must be some pie chuckers in South Africa A.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

They both scored at nearly a run a ball. Can't have been high quality bowling.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Hyperriker posted:

e: Haven't seen this posted, pretty solid discussion about Clarke and his place in the side, worth a read

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2013/jul/24/the-spin-michael-clarke-australia-captain?commentpage=2

The guardian cricket writing is best in the business imo

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

loving Guardian do-gooders. Clarke is a coward who is too scared to move up the order, Australia are poo poo and long may it continue.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

Hyperriker posted:

"Watson ... obvious flaws"

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Shmoses posted:

The guardian cricket writing is best in the business imo

Yeah, that was a fantastic read. In a strange way I hope we lose all 10 Ashes tests, and then another three against South Africa. So many players in the current team grew up in an era when Australia won every game effortlessly, and they still seem to have that mindset - like Watson or Hughes continually getting out the same way and never bothering to fix their obvious flaws.

But of course we'll probably fluke a win at some point and nothing will change :sigh:

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
Wait a second, hold up. Even as an England fan, I'm a little perplexed by this apparent campaign in the English press at the moment to make Clarke into a great captain, when he blatantly isn't. Disregarding his calamitous man-management - just because he sets crazy speculative fields and then shuffles them every three balls regardless of result, declares when he's behind, and gives the new ball to his wicketkeeper doesn't mean he's a great captain. If he did all of these things and achieved brilliant results he really would be a great captain, but as it is he's lost six Tests in a row. I know the blameless Michael Holding thinks that it's a sign of Good Agryessive Cricket when Clarke puts himself on to bowl with four slips and two short legs or whatever, but it isn't, it's actually a sign that he's very wank and short of ideas.

It's like how everyone always insisted that Michael Atherton was a brilliant captain, despite the fact that he constantly publicly disparaged and repeatedly dropped almost all of the best players England had available (which, amazingly, didn't improve their performances,) always set asinine fields, was always bigged up as "the key player," despite averaging about 34 with the bat, and ultimately won like 8 tests out of 50.

I'm Crap fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 25, 2013

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
The 'wins argument' does not and cannot apply when you're scoring double centuries while the rest of the top order bat like unrelenting dickheads. Ponting wouldn't have won with this team, and neither would Waugh, I wager.

e: also the wins argument is dumb and lacks context wherever it shows up

Hyperriker fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 25, 2013

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

This would be 100% correct, except for the fact that Clarke is part of the reason he has no talent around him.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Clarke is obviously a better captain than Cook and he's just lost two tests to him. Results aren't everything. The two best Australian captains of my life time (taylor and border) won less than Ponting who wasn't crash hot.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Clarke is obviously a better captain than Cook and he's just lost two tests to him. Results aren't everything. The two best Australian captains of my life time (taylor and border) won less than Ponting who wasn't crash hot.

Why is he obviously better? More creative and daring, sure. But is he a better leader of men? After all, the captain's job is to get the most out of his team, with both tactics and leadership. I don't think it's at all clear that Clarke does this better than Cook, regardless of the results.

In other news, how the gently caress did Ashton Turner get selected for the tour game? It looks like the selection panel is all but admitting results in the domestic comps are meaningless and that "he's got the looks of a potential star" is the new selection criteria.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Hyperriker posted:

The 'wins argument' does not and cannot apply when you're scoring double centuries while the rest of the top order bat like unrelenting dickheads. Ponting wouldn't have won with this team, and neither would Waugh, I wager.

e: also the wins argument is dumb and lacks context wherever it shows up

Stephen Fleming would've made it competitive at least :allears:

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Unimpressed posted:

Why is he obviously better? More creative and daring, sure. But is he a better leader of men? After all, the captain's job is to get the most out of his team, with both tactics and leadership. I don't think it's at all clear that Clarke does this better than Cook, regardless of the results.

In other news, how the gently caress did Ashton Turner get selected for the tour game? It looks like the selection panel is all but admitting results in the domestic comps are meaningless and that "he's got the looks of a potential star" is the new selection criteria.

They decided to rest everybody and then they were like "oh poo poo we only have 10 players, throw in that Turner bloke" proving that they're loving clueless

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Most of the failings in this team are batting related.

He potentially chased off 1-3 great batsmen, but what can you do as a captain with Phil Hughes? Shane Watson?
You can show them runs should be scored, but you can't bat for them.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
You could not hide at number 5 in the batting order for one thing.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Cook is a loving awful captain.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Mister Chief posted:

Cook is a loving awful captain.

Again, beyond the meme, why exactly?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
He's an awful ON FIELD captain. He's negative with his field placements (400 runs for Australia to win, they're 5 wickets down and he has 4 guys on the boundary) and he never risks a quick declaration. He's of the school that you make sure you cant lose the game before trying to win it.

However OFF FIELD, he's brilliant. He brings an excellent work ethic towards training, gets on with everyone and thus the England team over perform.

He's basically the opposite of Clarke.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Overly reactionary and cautionary.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Unimpressed posted:

Again, beyond the meme, why exactly?

He is a very reactionary captain. When haddin went after Finn in the first test he moved a fielder to the location Haddin hit a four every time.

He pulls his slips very quickly even when in a strong position. He is cautious and is concerned first with runs rather than wickets. Its a plight with modern captains because they play more limited over cricket than test cricket.

Clarke on the field is proactive and busy and even at our worst he's still always looking for wickets.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Smorgasbord posted:

Stephen Fleming would've made it competitive at least :allears:

See this sums it up. Can you remember the 2001/2 tour of Australia where Fleming was comfortably the better captain and Waugh almost lost the series with some slightly arrogant declarations in particular the kiwis were drat unlucky at the gabba.

Yet Australia didn't lose the series.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

See this sums it up. Can you remember the 2001/2 tour of Australia where Fleming was comfortably the better captain and Waugh almost lost the series with some slightly arrogant declarations in particular the kiwis were drat unlucky at the gabba.

Waugh is generally regarded as a good captain, which really helps to understand how good Fleming was when you compare those two squads and how that series went.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Watching McGrath bowling absurdly wide to secure a draw in the first match was a serious mindfuck, especially when you remember that this was the Australian team that was winning test matches in three days on a regular basis.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I'm Crap posted:

It's like how everyone always insisted that Michael Atherton was a brilliant captain, despite the fact that he constantly publicly disparaged and repeatedly dropped almost all of the best players England had available (which, amazingly, didn't improve their performances,) always set asinine fields, was always bigged up as "the key player," despite averaging about 34 with the bat, and ultimately won like 8 tests out of 50.

Yeah, I like Atherton as a commentator (good cricket writer too), but it makes me laugh when he goes on about team spirit and getting the best out of mediocre players and whatnot with all the stories of how dysfunctional the England dressing room was in the 90s. He was a hard nosed fucker and an awful man manager, him and Ray Illingworth were peas in a pod really.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I wonder what Peder Brofuck would be writing about this series if he was still with us?

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

biglads posted:

I wonder what Peder Brofuck would be writing about this series if he was still with us?

Exactly the same as anyone else except with a thesaurus

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

If it was anything like his "criticisms" of England used to be then he'd say it's indicative of the decline of anglo-saxon society in modern Australia.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Lionel Richie posted:

If it was anything like his "criticisms" of England used to be then he'd say it's indicative of the decline of anglo-saxon society in modern Australia.

"Flamin' Lebs" ?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I'm Crap posted:

To be fair, he averaged 37 and a bit. Which ultimately made him better* than everyone except Thorpe and Stewart.

Pretty awful man-manager, though.

* in the context of 90s England Batsmen.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

biglads posted:

He'd probably be writing about Joe Root a lot.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Just replace all mentions of England with Australia in this http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/422153.html

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Anyone know where I can watch Kuwait vs Vanuatu?
It'll be a more interesting contest than the next test.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
No but you can watch the Australian Indoor Cricket finals tomorrow

http://www.cricket.com.au/indoor-cricket-live

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish

Paul.Power posted:

To be fair, he averaged 37 and a bit. Which ultimately made him better* than everyone except Thorpe and Stewart.

Pretty awful man-manager, though.

* in the context of 90s England Batsmen.
And he batted (for most part, as opener) in a mediocre side that played against teams like Pakistan (with Wasim and Waqar) and Australia (with McGrath and Warne). Atherton was a very good player. I also think he was a decent captain, but it is fair to say that he left the team in desperate need of reform that only happened when Hussain took over.

YardGlass
Jan 21, 2003

Instant asshole: Just add beer

He is a very reactionary captain. When haddin went after Finn in the first test he moved a fielder to the location Haddin hit a four every time.

He pulls his slips very quickly even when in a strong position. He is cautious and is concerned first with runs rather than wickets. Its a plight with modern captains because they play more limited over cricket than test cricket.

Clarke on the field is proactive and busy and even at our worst he's still always looking for wickets.

All you're saying here is that he's more cautious a captain. If you win more games being more cautious than not being more cautious then I would say you're a better captain overall by being more cautious. Thus this doesn't prove that Clarke is a better captain at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Cook is a defensive captain and Strauss before him was considered just as defensive and cautious too in his field placings. They definitely remove slips earlier than most and are quick to cut off boundaries with placing men back sweeping compared to traditional concepts and ideas of how to set a field. But with how data driven England have been under Flower I've been wondering for a while now if that is actually something they've studied in depth and found that being more defensive than the commonly accepted norm is actually statistically superior.

It's all well and good having Botham, Chappelli, Taylor and the like in the commentary box saying "in my day we'd have three slips for the first 20 overs regardless" or that a fielder on the boundary is "only there for a bad ball so it's poor captaincy" etc. etc. But with modern analysis of every ball faced by every batsman in their international career available to be exploited and the current England set up being extremely heavily into that type of analysis, I don't think it's an accident that England have been very conservative in their field placings for the last three years. I'm sure they'll have looked into things like how often Watson gets out to third slip versus how many runs you save by moving that slip out and having him at deep extra cover preventing the boundary and then done the cost-benefit analysis of whether it's worth keeping the slips in.

• Locked thread