Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
For all the poor people who've had kills not count recently, go into My Documents\My Games\Chivalry Medieval Warfare\UDKGame\Config\ and open a file called UDKStats.ini, those numbers are all your kills for the various weapon tiers. Edit them appropriately to unlock whatever weapons you're wanting.

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fox Cunning posted:

The buckler bash is awesome. It definitely is a must with the flails, they need the speed.

Yeah, the great thing about the flails is that they really mess with people's ability to anticipate your timing and the quick bash is a great way to keep them further off their guard. Now that I've finally unlocked most of the weapons I care about I'm finally at liberty to toy around with those that don't unlock anything. Like the flails and also the quarterstaff :getin:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't get why people say the flail has weird timing for the parry. Thew few times I've been against people using one I didn't have any more trouble parrying it than a normal weapon.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't get why people say the flail has weird timing for the parry. Thew few times I've been against people using one I didn't have any more trouble parrying it than a normal weapon.

Same. It's just a really short ranged mace, basically. I don't see it's advantage at all.

If it had some unique attack mechanic wear you held the mouse button to start swinging it in a circle over your head, and then released to swing forward, that would be amazing. But instead it's just a really boring and pretty terrible weapon.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

QwertySanchez posted:

For all the poor people who've had kills not count recently, go into My Documents\My Games\Chivalry Medieval Warfare\UDKGame\Config\ and open a file called UDKStats.ini, those numbers are all your kills for the various weapon tiers. Edit them appropriately to unlock whatever weapons you're wanting.

I'm pretty sure this only works for offline matches with bots.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Why is it that duel is the mode I have the least fun in, when dueling is what I actually most like to do?

Is it my imagination or does dueling attract the kinds of people it is absolutely no fun to play against? I actually get somewhat annoyed whenever I see someone who runs along looking down at the ground now.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Internet Kraken posted:

In theory it is supposed to have a random time between winding up the attack and it actually swinging, to throw off parries. In reality parries last long enough for it not to matter.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
As a terrible bowman, I always feel bitter when I can land so many longbow shots without killing people, including headthos that just comically knock off helmets (I'd hate to think what piss poor damage I'd do WITHOUT the Bodkin arrows to Vanguards and Knights). But when I see an enemy javelin zip past my head and hit a wall a ways behind me, I die a second later.

Soon as I picked up the crossbow though, oh sweet gently caress this is so much more easy. Goddamned straight shots. Plus I can instantly switch to melee after firing a shot, compared to the Bow which takes forever to let you switch post shot. Despite letting you switch to melee while you have an arrow pulled.

My only problem with it's reload is that you seem to get trapped in an infinite helpless loop if you are hit during it. Did you get grazed for 2 damage in the foot by an enemy arrow or throwing knife? START OVER... wait, they hit you again, START OVER! ,oh they killed you while you were acting like a glitchy robot? Too bad.

Tallgeese posted:

Why is it that duel is the mode I have the least fun in, when dueling is what I actually most like to do?

Is it my imagination or does dueling attract the kinds of people it is absolutely no fun to play against? I actually get somewhat annoyed whenever I see someone who runs along looking down at the ground now.

I have yet to try duel mode, because while I like those 1vs1 fights you run across naturally that stay that way, actual 1vs1 modes in any game I've been in seem to attract people more concerned with learning all the ins and outs of the games quirks to BE THE BEST! Rather than playing because let's decapitate some motherfuckers.

As for weapon speeds, the Flail while I'm sometimes bad at parrying, is slow and short enough that I can actually plain old avoid the drat thing compared to a giant sword. I also keep expecting that whole 'slows down your mouse' I keep hearing about to kick in when I'm wielding lighter faster weapons and oversteering my thrusts/overheads like a moron. Because gently caress if I notice any form of aim slowdown at all using a shortsword.

EDIT: vvv Feint to cancel my reload loop on crossbow, now this is poo poo I wish they listed in game. Thanks. Along those lines, Oh joy, feint to cancel a drawn bow arrow still uses the arrow :downs: I am also loving the tiny drop shield. It will explode soon enough, but It let me just take a stand and kill 3 enemy crossbowmen in a row three for three shots, before it exploded and I found a hatchet in my skull. It also helped buy is some last seconds on protecting a king because, somehow, a giant vanguard swing didn't destroy it on their first pass.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 25, 2013

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Section Z posted:

My only problem with it's reload is that you seem to get trapped in an infinite helpless loop if you are hit during it. Did you get grazed for 2 damage in the foot by an enemy arrow or throwing knife? START OVER... wait, they hit you again, START OVER! ,oh they killed you while you were acting like a glitchy robot? Too bad.
This is why I like to look all the way up before reloading. If you do this you'll be looking straight ahead instead of at the floor during the reload, so you can see easily see attacks coming. You can also feint to cancel your reload; I've caught loads of people off guard by suddenly switching to my short sword when they thought they had an easy kill.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
Sure. You don't really need to be good at combat in the game to get high scores, you can just know how to pick your spots.

Then you step into duel and get owned. Everybody gets owned when they first play duel mode. Some people get upset about it because it is 1v1 they get narcissistic about losing. I get the impression that you guys consider it crossing some ethical line to step into the duel servers for a night or two to really get a feel for how combat works.

Chopping people's heads off is alot of fun. Have you ever ran into one of these guys who is somehow able to fight 2-3 people at once no problem? That is alot of decapitations. You can't do that without dipping your toes into duels for just a bit.

You should play the game how you enjoy playing it of course. But if you play it alot and have like 150+hours into it, it is worth thinking about it. You can 'level up' a great deal with a small amount of time.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 25, 2013

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Duel mode just reminds me of the fallacy ridden romanticization of chivalric knights

Rather have the killing fields

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Somehow a one on one matchup is so much more meaningful when it's surrounded by other people who are also fighting. Duel mode is really boring to me.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I really, really, really wish there was a server that has above 32 players slots, have TO maps as part of its rotation, have normal tk damage, have limited archers slots, AND forces first person. :sigh:

Hog Jowls
Apr 10, 2004

The ditch is nearer.

40 OZ posted:

Sure. You don't really need to be good at combat in the game to get high scores, you can just know how to pick your spots.

Then you step into duel and get owned. Everybody gets owned when they first play duel mode. Some people get upset about it because it is 1v1 they get narcissistic about losing. I get the impression that you guys consider it crossing some ethical line to step into the duel servers for a night or two to really get a feel for how combat works.

Chopping people's heads off is alot of fun. Have you ever ran into one of these guys who is somehow able to fight 2-3 people at once no problem? You can't do that without dipping your toes into duels for just a bit.

It's certainly odd that you get that impression, because nobody indicated anything of the kind. The closest anybody said was that a number of things that matter a great deal in duel don't matter elsewhere, and therefore duel is not necessarily the best place to learn the ins and outs of the game on the whole, especially objective play. People also complained about the sorts of people that frequent such gameplay modes and that it was boring, but not that is was some horrible mode that nobody should play.

That said, I do disagree. I don't think it is in any way necessary to play to learn the game, nor do I think a lot of 1v1 is in any way analogous to 1v3 fights. Honestly, duel is just plain a very different style of play that I really feel doesn't translate well to the rest of the game. It's fine for getting down the basics of combat, and if you want to practice moves on a live opponent without the worry of a vanguard colliding with your skull, it's great.

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011

40 OZ posted:

Chopping people's heads off is alot of fun. Have you ever ran into one of these guys who is somehow able to fight 2-3 people at once no problem? You can't do that without dipping your toes into duels for just a bit.
Except you totally can. Duel mode wasn't even in the game for the longest time and there were people around that were that good. If anything, I can recall a time after a dueling spree I got worse at multi-man fighting because I was too used to fighting 1 vs 1. It just turned my situational awareness to poo poo.

I think duel mode is where to go if you want to learn advanced mousedragging and footwork for crazy swings and dodges and just to see how scary people can be with those. But other than that, I rarely see those things outside of non-duel servers. Hell its rare to even see someone employ a basic feint. I also don't thing these moves are all that useful if you play in firstperson. To really stretch out mousedragging will have you looking everywhere except the target.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Duel mode just reminds me of the fallacy ridden romanticization of chivalric knights

Rather have the killing fields

One of my favorite things about this game is that the personality of the Argatha Knight is your typical romanticized noble fantasy warrior. So you've got this one guy who is genuinely good and well meaning surrounded by an army of psychopaths.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I really, really, really wish there was a server that has above 32 players slots, have TO maps as part of its rotation, have normal tk damage, have limited archers slots, AND forces first person. :sigh:

Have you ever played as a knight in first person? It's literally impossible to tell what is going on with the tower shield raised. I have no idea why you would ever force first person on someone.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

40 OZ posted:

I get the impression that you guys consider it crossing some ethical line to step into the duel servers for a night or two to really get a feel for how combat works.
The fallacy that I keep hating on is that duel servers teach you how combat works. Combat doesn't work the same way in duel servers as it does in TO/CTF/etc. The demands on the server are completely different and owing to this game's copious technical issues to say otherwise is objectively wrong. You can mess with the weird technical tricks like sword dragging (different from mouse dragging, fwiw) or whatever in TO/CTF, but it's not going to do poo poo for you because you'll clobber one guy and then get hit by an archer 90 degrees off to the left, counter-clobbered by the guy's buddy, or parried/blocked when you least expect it because the latency oddities that allow sword-dragging to be effective in low-stress, low-ping environments don't translate anywhere else. And that's fine. If you like duel you should become familiar with these things because it'll make you more effective. But pretending that it has any relevancy outside of duel is dishonest at best and delusional at worst. I have zero doubt that playing Duel made you better at the game at large. The problem is it wasn't Duel that did this, it was playing the game at all.

What you should probably realize, as well, is that this attitude is precisely what makes people give a big thumbs down to the mode. There is this attitude that people who are playing TO/CTF/etc aren't really playing the real game, haven't taken the time to study, haven't figured out how to really play, or whatever. That's total bullshit and most of the longer-term veterans know it. I've been playing Chiv off and on pretty much from release (I had all my veteran helms before Torn Banner went through like 6 months of bugs that prevented people from getting them) and while Duel can be a fine mode it doesn't prepare you for anything besides 'more Duel'. Now, to be fair, most of the people who are spreading the above notions are the sorts of toxic neckbeards who are using being expert at 'Chivalry Duel Mode' as an excuse for being a complete loving failure at 'anything actually worthwhile in life'. I am not trying to lump you in with those sorts of losers. But you are delivering a very similar message.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 26, 2013

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Holepunchio posted:

Except you totally can. Duel mode wasn't even in the game for the longest time and there were people around that were that good.

They were dueling anyways using the old method. And the best duel servers still play that way, where you pair off on a FFA server.

quote:

I can recall a time after a dueling spree I got worse at multi-man fighting because I was too used to fighting 1 vs 1. It just turned my situational awareness to poo poo.

I think duel mode is where to go if you want to learn advanced mousedragging and footwork for crazy swings and dodges and just to see how scary people can be with those. But other than that, I rarely see those things outside of non-duel servers. Hell its rare to even see someone employ a basic feint. I also don't thing these moves are all that useful if you play in firstperson. To really stretch out mousedragging will have you looking everywhere except the target.

Yeah, I guess. You can't really argue about this game in here because everyone claims to be good.

Holy poo poo, I shouldn't post in this thread anymore.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I think playing the Thief games really helped me with aiming bow weapons.

Are they planning on making any new levels? The current ones are getting a bit repetitive, i'd like to see something more like a full on siege in the game, but it might be too resource intensive.. Maybe a level with ships would be cool, kicking people in the water and all.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The people who beat others 1vs3 do so cause the 3 people they're up against are inexperienced and are not coordinated, being a more competent fighter helps go for the kill but any 2 moderately competent players will defeat a single awesome player every time if they are simply clever enough not to wind up their attacks at exactly the same nano-second.

I don't think that many people here claimed to be pro chivalry players either. We're just salty.

Electric Slug
Oct 30, 2011
I'm not sure, but they are releasing mod tools with the next content patch, so I'm certain the community will pump stuff out before you know it. I'm looking forward to something like a peasant rebellion where you fight off an army of weaklings. Lofty goals but it would be :black101: as all hell.

As for duels, I like to dip my feet into them every once in awhile when I want a change of pace, and I honestly think they are completely different than TO/TDM because of the type of player it attracts. I think the people who tend to frequent duel servers often are the types of internet knights that end up in games like Dark Souls and Jedi Academy - melee games which according to them have a "right" way of playing the game - and where everything else is completely wrong. You feinted to win? Well then you're obviously a filthy scrub that needs to learn how to play or you have no friends or whatever, instead of honorably dragging your norse ax across someones head like it has a missile strapped to the top. Granted it's really fun to beat guys like that by using underhanded methods (my favorite is pulling a knife at the end of a fist fight and stabbing them to death while laughing), but over all I find that it takes alot of the excitement out of the game, which is about the chaos of war and how playing fair gets you covered in boiling oil. Who knows, maybe people think this isn't supposed to be that type of game and do buy into the whole fancy lad knight tournament the way literature framed it and the jokes on us.

edit: does anyone have pictures of the new helmets from the beta? They're grayed out but I can see them on the customization thing and they look absolutely kicking rad. I'm hoping someone wants to show them off!

Electric Slug fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 26, 2013

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The real situation Duel doesn't prepare you for anyway isn't 1v3, it's 2v2 and 3v3. Totally different game. Though I do think it's funny that he just sort of picked up his ball and went home with a few psuedo-superior remarks instead of actually having a discussion.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I was playing with a guy called Lg | Treesquid last night who was doing some crazy stuff in TDM. He'd look at the sky facing away from you with a polearm and then spin around as he swung and it'd do crazy poo poo. He mopped the hell up.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Chivalry.txt

This one dude was being casually everything-ist in the server earlier so I decided to ruin one of his jokes. He wasn't amused.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Electric Slug posted:

I'm not sure, but they are releasing mod tools with the next content patch, so I'm certain the community will pump stuff out before you know it. I'm looking forward to something like a peasant rebellion where you fight off an army of weaklings. Lofty goals but it would be :black101: as all hell.
Ohhhh, it's feature wish list time is it?

-Dropping/losing your weapon (or everyonoe just spawning without any), and picking up random poo poo to hit guys with. I want to cave an archer's head in with a loving barstool or hoe or candelabra or something.
-Throwing your main weapon. Of course it'd be inaccurate and short range as poo poo, but gently caress that I want to throw my loving claymore at someone.
-Dark Messiah game mode: Kicking is way faster and will send guys flying if they're kicked while dazed or something.
-More exaggerated ragdoll physics.
-Destructible furniture, with physics. (Yes, I know this is not going to happen.)

Also, today I exploded two heads with one Vanguard charge punch. Today was a good day.

Gibbone
May 8, 2011

40 OZ posted:

Chopping people's heads off is alot of fun. Have you ever ran into one of these guys who is somehow able to fight 2-3 people at once no problem? That is alot of decapitations. You can't do that without dipping your toes into duels for just a bit.

You should play the game how you enjoy playing it of course. But if you play it alot and have like 150+hours into it, it is worth thinking about it. You can 'level up' a great deal with a small amount of time.

This is kind of the point I was trying to make earlier. I got really into chivalry when it was new and after about 100 hours, Team objective loses a bit of novelty and to get better at killing dudes I started duelling on classic duel (the only option back then). Since then ive been playing TO almost exclusively because duh running around firepotting and decapitating rocks. If you never ever want to duel fine, I can only speak for myself when i say that duel is not only fun for me but really helpful in getting better at slayin'.

Coolguy I dont know why youre flipping out so much, and making assumptions that anyone who speaks to the fun of duelling is automatically a super serious pubstar neckbeard when nobody seems to actually be any of those things. I think that dude fled because you responded to him with a lengthy enraged tirade about how he is the worst kind of goon and nerd etc etc without any signs of wanting to discuss anything.

Basically its my opinion that duelling makes you better and therefore makes all game modes more fun. That's my experience. If you feel different, alright! It seems like you're trying to bring some mass of empirical evidence down on your side but honestly this is all pure opinion fom both of us, and I should be allowed to give an opinion without getting shrieked at.

I do however agree with you when you say that duelling doesn't make you better at the specific skills of TO/ fighting multiple enemies at once. There are even some things that are mutually exclusive, like the situational awareness you need in regular matches is never gained from duels. What i suggest duels do is train your instincts and reflexes for the game so that they become second nature. you can certainly just play the game never touching a duel and gain these skills, I would suggest that duels do it faster.

Gibbone fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 26, 2013

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I don't buy that duel even teaches you reflexes.

Seriously, when I get on a duel server, usually what happens is this:

1) Half my opponents I can take relatively easily, they're of similar ability level.

2) The other half are dudes who literally spend the entire fight looking at the ground, wobble like a broken dreidel, spin their sword at practically a 180 degree angle, et cetera. I rarely see people who actually employ tactics like feinting.

How does that teach me anything about playing the game, as opposed to teaching me that some people will do really strange stuff to win; stuff that I cannot replicate because I play on a gamepad, among other reasons?

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 26, 2013

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Gibbone posted:

Coolguy I dont know why youre flipping out so much, and making assumptions that anyone who speaks to the fun of duelling is automatically a super serious pubstar neckbeard when nobody seems to actually be any of those things. I think that dude fled because you responded to him with a lengthy enraged tirade about how he is the worst kind of goon and nerd etc etc without any signs of wanting to discuss anything.
Yeah sorry but you're jamming words in my mouth here. I never called you or anyone else a neckbeard, matter of fact I took a bunch of care to say that I don't think 40 OZ is a neckbeard. I pointed out the technical problems with what you two were saying. I was way more aggressive with you because you suggested dropping 50 loving hours into a single mode as a tutorial, and honestly what the gently caress, man, I think any reasonable person would agree that's completely insane. But even then, I did not say a single thing about you personally, so kindly quit pretending like I did.

Further, neither of you said anything about 'the fun of dueling'. You specifically said if you spend 50 hours the game becomes way deeper and more technical. This is false. Duel maybe, but the game at large doesn't. 40 OZ said that people have an ethical boundary against figuring out how the combat really works, by dropping into Duel servers. Which is false - Duel servers teach you how Duel works. Not 'the combat' of the game. I have zero doubts you were better after playing 50 hours of Duel. That's because you played the game for 50 hours, though, it had nothing to do with Duel.

If you didn't think you could respond to the points that the technical landscape is totally different in these games, and due to the technical mess that this game can be, the skills don't translate beyond what you pick up just playing the stupid game, then it's probably because I'm saying something that's more true than false.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 26, 2013

Gibbone
May 8, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

I don't buy that duel even teaches you reflexes.

Seriously, when I get on a duel server, usually what happens is this:

1) Half my opponents I can take relatively easily, they're of similar ability level.

2) The other half are dudes who literally spend the entire fight looking at the ground, wobble like a broken dreidel, spin their sword at practically a 180 degree angle, et cetera. I rarely see people who actually employ tactics like feinting.

How does that teach me anything about playing the game, as opposed to teaching me that some people will do really strange stuff to win; stuff that I cannot replicate because I play on a gamepad, among other reasons?

Those weird techniques are all things you can learn to handle with practice, whether or not they should be in the game is down to individual taste. None of them are impossible to counter. Good vanguards will delay and speed up swings to mess with your parries, and so do knights with their slower 2hander weapons. I do see it frequently used in TO by really good vanguards. Defending against these kind of swings (or dragshots even) just comes down to reading the other players movements for when theyre gearing up for that kind of move. An example would be if a vanguard starts doing that twisty poo poo and facehugging you, hes probably about to try and drag a stab around you, and in response you can kick him, slip behind his back and slash at him, whatever.

Most fights in chivalry have all kinds of variables at play - enemies shooting at you, terrain, teammates shooting you, what health you started the fight with, other enemies jumping in to gang up on you. Duel strips all that away and puts you mano a mano with another guy, and why I love it is that it forces you to bringing out your fastest reactions and test yourself. It wont teach you awareness or good positioning in a objective match, but it'll make winning fights in team games much easier and frees up your mind to deal with all those other vital variables.Its all practice and duels are like the crucible for learning to deal with peoples techniques. Like if you can learn to counter obvious drags and delays by fighting a bunch of vanguards in duel, its going to make it easier to react to reflexively so your mind is free to think about other stuff - other players around you, your own plan of attack etc.

Duel people tend to have a weird thing about feints in that even though they recently got nerfed to hell, its considered cheating to use them, so theyll use every bizarre technique outside of feints to win. I dont know what to say about a gamepad, I think a mouse is probably necessary to direct your parries and drag swings because you need to be correcting moves fairly minutely, but I'm not really sure since I havent ever used one.

Gibbone fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 26, 2013

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I already know how to drag weapon attacks, et cetera. I'm not exactly new. It doesn't stop those techniques from frankly being counter-intuitive and subject to variables beyond your actual play.

For example... how in hell can you actually correct minutely and have it work consistently if lag is involved? It's impossible.

Take the stab counter. Stabs on a vanguard greatsword activate at different times based on lag. Considering the high startup time on kicks, I'm not buying that it is a consistent counter. Nor do I buy that getting behind them is a consistent counter considering half the people who play like that have mouse sensitivity through the roof and can probably out-turn most players anyway.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 26, 2013

Gibbone
May 8, 2011

Coolguye posted:

Yeah sorry but you're jamming words in my mouth here. I never called you or anyone else a neckbeard, matter of fact I took a bunch of care to say that I don't think 40 OZ is a neckbeard. I pointed out the technical problems with what you two were saying. I was way more aggressive with you because you suggested dropping 50 loving hours into a single mode as a tutorial, and honestly what the gently caress, man, I think any reasonable person would agree that's completely insane. But even then, I did not say a single thing about you personally, so kindly quit pretending like I did.

Further, neither of you said anything about 'the fun of dueling'. You specifically said if you spend 50 hours the game becomes way deeper and more technical. This is false. Duel maybe, but the game at large doesn't. 40 OZ said that people have an ethical boundary against figuring out how the combat really works, by dropping into Duel servers. Which is false - Duel servers teach you how Duel works. Not 'the combat' of the game. I have zero doubts you were better after playing 50 hours of Duel. That's because you played the game for 50 hours, though, it had nothing to do with Duel.

If you didn't think you could respond to the points that the technical landscape is totally different in these games, and due to the technical mess that this game can be, the skills don't translate beyond what you pick up just playing the stupid gamei, then it's probably because I'm saying something that's more true than false.

I think you maybe read too much into what i said. I've played 300 hours of chivalry, and easily 100 of those hours have been duelling. I was suggesting that by about 50 hours you would probably have gotten the most out of it. I didnt say play this mode and no other, GIVE YOUR MIND TO THE GAME. Thats how you interpreted it: maybe I was unclear. There's no need to antagonize so heavily. I want to discuss the game with you, and I'm being civil about it.

I've said plenty on the fun of duelling. I play it because I love it and the happy result of that is that it has made me better at objective modes for reasons i have gone over.

I'm not sure your arguments for the lack of translation between duels and objectives modes is entirely convincing though. I understand that latency plays a much larger role in objctive. The mass of players also tends to discourage the kind of finicky duel techniques people use, like man at arms dodges particularly. Certainly there are large differences in how you need to play, but Duels make the details of timing, aiming, gauging reach and predicting other players responses much easier in all modes. That, in my experience, remains the same no matter what. Let me restate: I play mostly TO now, so Im not speaking as a wannabe duel hero.

Interestingly, I do notice that focussing on one mode over the other is to the detriment of the other, primarily because TO seems to train you to focus on loads things at once while duelling makes you zero in on the other guy. I would be willing to bet that a guy who only ever duels would be shithouse at TO for mainly this reason. So I agree that duelling doesn't make you a brilliant TO player, but it gives you a big leg up on the basics, which was my original point.

Gibbone fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 26, 2013

Gibbone
May 8, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

I already know how to drag weapon attacks, et cetera. I'm not exactly new. It doesn't stop those techniques from frankly being counter-intuitive and subject to variables beyond your actual play.

For example... how in hell can you actually correct minutely and have it work consistently if lag is involved? It's impossible.

Take the stab counter. Stabs on a vanguard greatsword activate at different times based on lag. Considering the high startup time on kicks, I'm not buying that it is a consistent counter. Nor do I buy that getting behind them is a consistent counter considering half the people who play like that have mouse sensitivity through the roof and can probably out-turn most players anyway.

I take your point on the latency. At high latencies the game is best played while helicoptering with a maul. However the window for parries and (unless theres facehugging) the time it takes for a swing to connect tend to give certain tolerances for anything below 100ms. The windup and swing for a counter is still in the hundreds of milliseconds, and so is the window for parry. In that context I think dealing with those fast counters involves less latency and more that the animations for those counters are terrible and make the timing hard to do.

If we talk specifically about dealing with counter stabs, then yes kicks are useless. Probably the best manoeuvre is to upset their drag by changing your direction of movement (so as they begin their counter, switch from moving around to their left to moving to their right). They'll still catch you if their sensitivity is very high, but it will force their swing to land later, giving your more time to parry and more time to turn to catch their drag with that parry. Standing still assures them a hit, whereas moving upsets their plan and gives you a chance to respond.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

So there's that one tower duel map with the pully elevator in the middle, yeah? I think it takes the cake for Worst Map In the Game.

For one, it's decidedly an archer map. The person on the top has a clear shot at you most of the way up, so if you're not also an archer then it's a crapshoot if you get feathered before you hit the top.

But that's beside the point.

I highly recommend against playing the map because apparently there's a lot of hidey-holes for people to go through. One is to jump on top of the elevator and just continuously circle around until you run out the timer.

There's a few spots where the "wall" and the actually wall are a few feet apart, so you can crouch and be completely hidden from view. I found this out when the person I was facing (after I beat him once) decided to jump down and sit in that corner for the entire match, unmoving, until the timer ran out, at which point the game arbitrarily awarded him the victory. He was also 9-0 on the scoreboard, I wonder why...

And so on. There's a lot of glitchy crap in the level, and since Duel Mode is Super Serious Business to the point where people exploit the hell out of it at times, you don't want to fight there. So avoid it like the Black Plague.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Can Coolguye and Gibbone please get back on topic? They have not mentioned the C key for at least 2 pages.

Gibbone
May 8, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

So there's that one tower duel map with the pully elevator in the middle, yeah? I think it takes the cake for Worst Map In the Game.

For one, it's decidedly an archer map. The person on the top has a clear shot at you most of the way up, so if you're not also an archer then it's a crapshoot if you get feathered before you hit the top.

But that's beside the point.

I highly recommend against playing the map because apparently there's a lot of hidey-holes for people to go through. One is to jump on top of the elevator and just continuously circle around until you run out the timer.

There's a few spots where the "wall" and the actually wall are a few feet apart, so you can crouch and be completely hidden from view. I found this out when the person I was facing (after I beat him once) decided to jump down and sit in that corner for the entire match, unmoving, until the timer ran out, at which point the game arbitrarily awarded him the victory. He was also 9-0 on the scoreboard, I wonder why...

And so on. There's a lot of glitchy crap in the level, and since Duel Mode is Super Serious Business to the point where people exploit the hell out of it at times, you don't want to fight there. So avoid it like the Black Plague.

You didn't mention how sometimes the elevator disappears for a second leaving both players to fall to their deaths.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Duel mode is rubbish because you can only set a maximum of two people (yourself and your opponent) on fire. In other modes, you can set many people on fire. Therefore, they are better :colbert:

MadJackMcJack fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 26, 2013

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

MadJackMcJack posted:

Duel mode is rubbish because you can only set a maximum of two people (yourself and your opponent) on fire. In other modes, you can set many people on fire. Therefore, they are better :colbert:
This man understands Chivalry.

I ran into an enemy smoke cloud. Someone also tossed a fire pot there. I ran out of the smoke burning and screaming and then I took a guy's head off. That is Chivalry, gently caress all your fancy duel bullshit.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Nordick posted:

This man understands Chivalry.

I ran into an enemy smoke cloud. Someone also tossed a fire pot there. I ran out of the smoke burning and screaming and then I took a guy's head off. That is Chivalry, gently caress all your fancy duel bullshit.

I had the most beautiful thing happen in this game today when two MaA's threw their firepots at the same archer hiding on top of one of the buildings in the desert map. He barely had time to register what was happening before a Knight jabbed him from behind and threw him off the ledge, where he died screaming in midair and plunged into the river in the center of the map.

Almost as amazing was ganging up on some dude with a fellow goon, only to be teamkilled when he accidentally gutted me with his spear that went completely through the dude we were flanking.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Duel is boring. Play TDM or FFA and go cut some dudes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andenno
May 1, 2009

Don't play duel mode. It's boring and has tons of downtime. Play on FFA duel servers. Where you walk up to guys and challenge them, and can watch fights. I agree that team objective and firepots are tons of fun. But so is a good melee fight. You can easily find those on an FFA duel server, and be fighting 99% of the time. Plus it's kinda fun saluting then chopping each other into little pieces.

• Locked thread