Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Mr. Crow posted:

So this game is fun, but I get artifacts all over the screen, it's hardly playable. I've switched drivers like 5 times, no dice. Checked temps, they're lower than other games that work fine. Running a NVidia 560 ti, anyone else having this issue? Want to like the game, it's very fun but it's also very distracting..
I'm running a 560ti, I've never run into what you've described :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I'm also running a 560ti and no problems. It does make my fans wind up pretty high so it's probably pushing your system pretty hard. I know it's the cliche answer but I just blew a ton of dust out of my case and it actually did help my fans from not going to max RPM the entire time, so get a can of compressed air?

of course I didn't have artifacting, just loud-rear end fans so that might not help you much.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

So this game is fun, but I get artifacts all over the screen, it's hardly playable. I've switched drivers like 5 times, no dice. Checked temps, they're lower than other games that work fine. Running a NVidia 560 ti, anyone else having this issue? Want to like the game, it's very fun but it's also very distracting..

Does this happen for every game or just Sleeping Dogs?

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
So I bought the all inclusive DLC pack on steam when it went on sale a few days ago.

Now I've maxed out every tree and the RPG elements are gone. Is there anyway at all to disable those dumb DLC? Will every new game I start just have a stupid amount of XP now?

marblehouse
Oct 18, 2010
My enjoyment of this game would have been raised by miles if I could just focus on triad missions and never touch a police mission again. Oh well, still a great game.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

splifyphus posted:

So I bought the all inclusive DLC pack on steam when it went on sale a few days ago.

Now I've maxed out every tree and the RPG elements are gone. Is there anyway at all to disable those dumb DLC? Will every new game I start just have a stupid amount of XP now?

Yeah you need to rename the dlc files, I think there is a post on the official forums somewhere.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

canyoneer posted:

I like this game a lot, but it would be pretty swell if I could pass one consecutive hour of playtime without a crash to desktop :(
I had that problem when I was playing the game on my laptop last year, it played okay for several hours and then just started CTDing constantly for whatever reason. By the end I was dreading getting into vehicles during the longer missions, because all the crashes would happen when I was driving.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
I started playing Nightmare, and when I get bit I can't get out even if I wiggle the left stick like a demented person. What does it want me to do? Besides not getting bit.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Oceanbound posted:

I started playing Nightmare, and when I get bit I can't get out even if I wiggle the left stick like a demented person. What does it want me to do? Besides not getting bit.

It should be two button prompts back and forth. At least, that's what it is for the PC.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
I'm playing the PC version but using a controller. The only prompt I get is "wiggle the left stick left and right", which mostly just causes me to die. But meh, I got past that part without getting bit so whatever.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

I had that problem when I was playing the game on my laptop last year, it played okay for several hours and then just started CTDing constantly for whatever reason. By the end I was dreading getting into vehicles during the longer missions, because all the crashes would happen when I was driving.

It seems to happen to me between transitions as missions end.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Eddain posted:

Does this happen for every game or just Sleeping Dogs?

Just sleeping dogs, hence the assumption it's a driver issue.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Just finished this after getting it on PS+ for free.

Holy crap. It's really amazing that this game came out at all, but daaaaaaaaammmnnnn. This is a really good game, lots of action (even for those not into action like me), good cars, good gunplay, martial arts that arent too hard to learn, and something that GTA 4 totally lacked, an interesting story with like-able characters (and cockfighting).

I usually don't purchase DLC, but watching the quick look of year of the snake has me thinking...

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
This game has really fun side-missions and diversions. I love the dramatic music that plays during the cockfights and my favorite side character has to be Calvin and his tendency to stir up poo poo and telling Wei to drive.

MGN001
May 12, 2012

Holy poo poo. I just bought this game during the steam summer sale. I just finished the missions where you have to take Johnny the Ratface and Dogeyes to the restaurant. The things people do in this game legitimately make me uncomfortable. Even more so than in Spec Ops: The Line.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I ran into a room full of baddies and saw that an open furnace was an environment object. I had to reload after acting on my morbid curiosity. :ohdear:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
I've just found out that the drop kick from doing a three hit combo while under the effects of the drunken master outfit lets you do the rising hit combo more often. Even better, if you stay in face mode while transitioning to a new fight club round, you keep the drunken moves. :swoon:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Avocados posted:

I ran into a room full of baddies and saw that an open furnace was an environment object. I had to reload after acting on my morbid curiosity. :ohdear:

There's some Punisher-levels of goriness kind of tucked away behind environmental attacks. The AC units are particularly violent.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Avocados posted:

Just wait until you see some of the later mission objects. Wei is a creative individual.

Delacroix posted:

I've just found out that the drop kick from doing a three hit combo while under the effects of the drunken master outfit lets you do the rising hit combo more often. Even better, if you stay in face mode while transitioning to a new fight club round, you keep the drunken moves. :swoon:

If you keep fighting quickly enough you can actually refill your face meter before one bout of drunken boxing wears off, allowing you to just keep being a real Drunken Master.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Coughing Hobo posted:

There's some Punisher-levels of goriness kind of tucked away behind environmental attacks. The AC units are particularly violent.

I enjoyed the fish plant.

jab . . . jab . . . grapple . . . HOOK!

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

MGN001 posted:

Holy poo poo. I just bought this game during the steam summer sale. I just finished the missions where you have to take Johnny the Ratface and Dogeyes to the restaurant. The things people do in this game legitimately make me uncomfortable. Even more so than in Spec Ops: The Line.

Speaking of which... Am I crazy, or didn't Wei just plant a bug in that room a handful of missions before this? Seems like a detective participating the brutal vivisection of two dudes would be frowned upon by the police more than his usual undercover hijinks. Or you'd think he'd at least shut the gently caress up while delivering the dudes, instead
of basically giving a play-by-play of how he delivered them and that they're getting what they deserve from Winston's mom, followed shortly after by cleaver ka-chunking and ungodly shrieking.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Trustworthy posted:

Speaking of which... Am I crazy, or didn't Wei just plant a bug in that room a handful of missions before this? Seems like a detective participating the brutal vivisection of two dudes would be frowned upon by the police more than his usual undercover hijinks. Or you'd think he'd at least shut the gently caress up while delivering the dudes, instead
of basically giving a play-by-play of how he delivered them and that they're getting what they deserve from Winston's mom, followed shortly after by cleaver ka-chunking and ungodly shrieking.

At the beginning of the Johnny Ratface mission, Wei surreptitiously switches the bug off before helping Winston's mom arrange to gut the men responsible for his murder. Wei is not a very good police officer.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
Just beat the main story, and I only ended up at Triad level 9. I know there's a DLC with repeatable Triad missions, but considering the sale is over, I'd like to hold off buying any more DLC until next sale. Is there any reliable way to grind out just a bit more Triad XP?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
The best way to get Traid EXP is paying a lot of attention to the health of your enemies with lock-on and use the environmental hazards to finish them off once they're at 1/4 of health. You should also mix up your attacks as often as possible and, even though it sounds dumb, don't buff yourself out with food so that you can get more points out of your attack before your enemies drop.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

l33t b4c0n posted:

Just beat the main story, and I only ended up at Triad level 9. I know there's a DLC with repeatable Triad missions, but considering the sale is over, I'd like to hold off buying any more DLC until next sale. Is there any reliable way to grind out just a bit more Triad XP?
You can replay missions to grind for it, if I'm not totally mistaken.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Quiet Python posted:

At the beginning of the Johnny Ratface mission, Wei surreptitiously switches the bug off before helping Winston's mom arrange to gut the men responsible for his murder. Wei is not a very good police officer.
Meaningfully, when Wei is "brought in" to be briefed by Pendrew and Mak, a camera is turned off, I suppose lest the Triad get their hands on it whether by any mole within the police force or otherwise, and then at the end it's a camera that Pendrew didn't disable that gets him nailed -- by "Broken Nose" Jiang turning the footage over to Wei, so it's probably not a coincidence story-wise that the beginning of the end of "playing the street game", after which he moves on up to bigger things, is marked by Wei being the one to temporarily deactivate the bug.

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

Just finished up the main game and NiNP today. Pretty fun game overall. In the later part of the main game, with the way Wei was acting I almost expected his character arc to end with him going completely rogue from the police and becoming the Dragon Head of the Sun On Yee. Which I think would have been a pretty cool hook for a sequel. As it was I think this game did a great job letting the player come to their own conclusion the Wei is a bad cop. I feel like most other developers would have been really ham-handed with communicating that idea.

Two other really small details that I really liked about the game. One was the ongoing drama between the mom and daughter outside of your North point apartment told entirely through their incidental dialog. The other was from the missions from one of the girls you date early in the game, Tiffany. While doing the mission that leads to stalking her, the whole time I was thinking "Wow I'm a huge rear end in a top hat. I'm dating two other women, but I lose my poo poo because Tiffany is also dating other guys?". Then at the end of that mission Tiffany calls you out on that exact point and make Wei feel like the rear end in a top hat that he is. I was genuinely surprised and happy when the mission ended that way.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Undead Muppet posted:

Two other really small details that I really liked about the game. One was the ongoing drama between the mom and daughter outside of your North point apartment told entirely through their incidental dialog. The other was from the missions from one of the girls you date early in the game, Tiffany. While doing the mission that leads to stalking her, the whole time I was thinking "Wow I'm a huge rear end in a top hat. I'm dating two other women, but I lose my poo poo because Tiffany is also dating other guys?". Then at the end of that mission Tiffany calls you out on that exact point and make Wei feel like the rear end in a top hat that he is. I was genuinely surprised and happy when the mission ended that way.

I followed her immediately after her and bashed her head into a car. Figured it would be in character

edit: i do kinda hope another game comes around like this. I am greatly GREATLY enjoying this more than any GTA game. The setting is just so fantastically done and the combat is great

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I play this game like I play Saints Row, that is, wearing the goofiest possible clothing I can find. It's especially great during the super serious heated dialog exchanges when Wei is wearing just a luchador mask and boxers or a panama style hat, green wayfarers and bright orange track pants.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

l33t b4c0n posted:

I've made a couple posts on the subject before, maybe something here can help:

titties posted:

I've gotten all three shields on that one. It's easier if you don't have any damage upgrades so the fights last a little longer. Get the Mountain Master triad set before starting the mission and do your best to not kill anyone quickly. Use the environmental attacks for a triad point boost but only after you've countered / tackled / punched the guy first. Same with the leg-break > ninja kill combo. It will get you about 80 points for "heavy attack" and "stun followup" or whatever, but milk those guys for more points first since it's an instant kill.

E: A good mix of striking, grappling, and octagon control counters, throws, and environmental kills will earn you more points than just killing everyone with strike combos and counters. Approach that mission with a conscious effort to use everything in your repertoire and you should be able to get max points.

titties posted:

I had to replay a few missions to hit Triad level 10 once I beat the game. One thing that helps is to make an effort to slow the pace of combat. Don't wear damage buff items, and use more regular strikes and grapples.

I mean, any unarmed enemy aside from grapplers and bosses can be killed by a leg break > ninja backstab instant kill combo or an environmental grapple and you'll earn anywhere from 20 - 80 points depending on how varied your combat is (mixing up moves prevents diminishing returns). But then that enemy is dead, so you missed the opportunity to earn points for regular hits, counters, and stun strike + followup combos before the kill.

titties posted:

The climbing elbow is good too, if you like 1-hit stun attacks. Climbing elbow with follow-up stun strike or grapple (used sparingly) earns solid triad points and usually puts me in face mode.

E: I know I've mentioned it before, but for anyone struggling to grind out triad points:

- Use tea, but no massages or dragon kick, and no clothing items that boost melee damage

- Wear the retro triad outfit if you have it, or grind face to use the +15% triad clothing sets as early as possible.

- Use environmental kills and the leg-break / ninja kill combo very sparingly. They are fun and cool, but you lose a lot of potential triad points by killing them early

- Be well-rounded. Constantly mix fast strikes, counters, strong strikes, grapple throws, grapple strike combos, and the double-leg.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I just started playing this today. Just got to the point of taking pictures of Amanda. Holy poo poo this game is awesome. This is the best game I've played in a very long time.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
You seem awfully impressed by taking pretend photos of an awkwardly posing virtual girl :raise:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The fun in that mission is not taking pictures of Amanda, the fun in that mission is doing literally anything but. She will just stand there looking like a goof while you walk around doing whatever. Then you can take the worst pictures of all time and she'll still say you've got good composition.

The date missions are really funny because you can pretty much be the worst date in the world and the girls will still fall for good old Wei Shen.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I was just using that as a reference point as to where I am in the game.

So far every side mission has been fun and rewarding. Most games I'll do a few side missions, get bored and just run straight through the story line.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Oh man I got this during the sale too and this game is bloody great. I'd wanted it for a while but drat I didn't know what I was missing. It's a bit weird that the DLC bops me on up to rank 8 in triad, cop and face after the first mission though :V but I'm not about to look a gift horse in the mouth while I'm having a blast with the combat system and driving. I somehow wound up in the wrong side of town and did a quest for a car that shoots bullets woo~

Also, sticking dude's faces in fans and other sharp, spinning things on buildings will never not be fun. This game looks great, plays great and I have no clue why I didn't get it earlier.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

You seem awfully impressed by taking pretend photos of an awkwardly posing virtual girl :raise:

Hey, that virtual girl is voiced by the very real Emma Stone, so :colbert:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah I don't know why anyone cares to level triad exp when you can just grind faces in AC units or leg break :getin:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I haven't really had problems leveling Triad XP. Probably because I started out by filling the bottom half of the tree (thus, no extra striking damage).

Cop XP is dumb. Game gives you near unlimited amounts of it, because you can always go do another camera drug bust thing.
Any thoughts on clearing out the thugs at drug busts with guns? If you show up swinging, they start shooting and I either die or shoot back and the cops show up.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I always just run down the gangs hanging around the drug busts with a car. I think it's less provoking than guns? I don't know, I've only done one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I always just run down the gangs hanging around the drug busts with a car. I think it's less provoking than guns? I don't know, I've only done one.

If you have Wheels of Fury, you can both run them down and shoot them from the safety of your car.

• Locked thread