Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

DarthBlingBling posted:

I love our map for the Glasgow underground, pure simplicity:
Considering all the junkies and such, I think this was made out of necessity to be so simple that even the most cracked-out alkie could follow it.
I say this as someone from Dundee so :scotland: :hf: :scotland:

I still love how Hong Kong's harbour is called Aberdeen, everytime I go there in Sleeping Dogs, it makes me smile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

FinalGamer posted:

Considering all the junkies and such, I think this was made out of necessity to be so simple that even the most cracked-out alkie could follow it.
I say this as someone from Dundee so :scotland: :hf: :scotland:

I still love how Hong Kong's harbour is called Aberdeen, everytime I go there in Sleeping Dogs, it makes me smile.

I'm actually English, but have lived in Scotland for near 11 years. I feel more Scottish than English to be honest.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

DarthBlingBling posted:

I'm actually English, but have lived in Scotland for near 11 years. I feel more Scottish than English to be honest.
We welcome anyone who's able to tolerate us, you live here long enough, you're one of us. :scotland: :hf: :britain:

...I wonder if the same can be said for Asian cities. I know the Japanese pretty much outdistance non-Japanese from themselves regardless of how long they lived there or how good they are with the language, more on just a factual thing than anything else. But I just say that from the little I know, I'm totally oblivious about any interpersonal issues regarding nationality in eastern Asia.

If anyone here knows, how DO Hong Kong and the Chinese territorial region handle non-Chinese people living within the cities? I mean it's probably a case-to-case basis and there can't be a generalisation but there has to be some anecdotes around here on that. :v:

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 27, 2013

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

FinalGamer posted:

If anyone here knows, how DO Hong Kong and the Chinese territorial region handle non-Chinese people living within the cities? I mean it's probably a case-to-case basis and there can't be a generalisation but there has to be some anecdotes around here on that. :v:

Never been to Mainland China but spent a fair amount of time in Hong Kong. It definitely feels very welcoming to Europeans and the British influence plays a part.

My own experiences is kind of being a white person equates to money. So on a random night out I managed to get into clubs with like trainers and trackies on after going to the gym. You would never get away with that in any club in Glasgow.

I guess the same cant be said for Filipino people..

Also even people in HK don't seem to even like main landers all that much. They often complain about their poor manners and stealing school places.

I always get the feeling that Hong Kongers(sic) are proud to be Chinese but definetly think they are better, which is probably true but makes them seem arrogant.

But wonder if anyone else has a different take, someone who lives there, though I'm going to Shenzhen next week which is 45 mins away from HK!

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
just wanted to say thanks to the op for putting this lp together. finally pulled the trigger on getting this from gmg's recent 75% off sale. having a blast.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:
The conversation in here was fantastic to follow, thanks for being informative you guys. :allears:

While Rossi gets moved into his new place, let's shake some dust off with stream recordings.

The first big chunk of Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, from 7/23
The... the fanfic reading. :smith:
The gradually being uploaded Borderlands 2: Tiny Tina DLC segment

Sorry about the continuing lack of Sleeping Dogs, guys. Hopefully soon Rossi and I will have a chance to get something done, I really want this next couple videos to be with him but unfortunately neither one of us has been in the best position to do anything about them lately.

Fridurmus fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Aug 5, 2013

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

HAH, so you did buy Sonic & All-Stars Racing. Shame I don't have it on Steam or a controller for the PC or I'd have played along.

You're welcome :) seriously, isn't the music loving boss in that game?

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

FinalGamer posted:

HAH, so you did buy Sonic & All-Stars Racing. Shame I don't have it on Steam or a controller for the PC or I'd have played along.

You're welcome :) seriously, isn't the music loving boss in that game?

Yeah, it's a pretty great game. Thanks for the rec- I think I mentioned at the time, but it sure looked like it would just wind up being another cheap cash-in cart racer. It's fantastic.

Last King posted:

just wanted to say thanks to the op for putting this lp together. finally pulled the trigger on getting this from gmg's recent 75% off sale. having a blast.

No problem. Sorry it's kind of on hold until things are better for recording more commentary!

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I am sorry for putting you up to reading those fanfics Chocolate Donut, I hope you can forgive me.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Chocolate Donuts posted:

Yeah, it's a pretty great game. Thanks for the rec- I think I mentioned at the time, but it sure looked like it would just wind up being another cheap cash-in cart racer. It's fantastic.
It really looked it to me, but after playing the first Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, I had to get this one too. It's so easy to make a Mario Kart clone, and believe me it is. But it's also a GOOD Mario Kart clone.
I don't wanna derail so I'll just say, if anyone's curious, please watch Donuts play that game, it is glorious fanlove from Sega.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Chocolate Donuts posted:

No problem. Sorry it's kind of on hold until things are better for recording more commentary!

no problem man, been loving this lp so far. hopefully you can finish it, would love to see how it ends.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Any ETA on when this will get going again? No rush or anything.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Zurreco posted:

Any ETA on when this will get going again? No rush or anything.

The current story is that Rossi's in... Idaho, I think, and I've been totally unable to reach him to actually do anything with it, but I'm still holding out hope that I'll wrangle him back in because our chemistry works really well for this game.

:smith: It's a dwindling hope.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I'm back! I even have a recording set up and a bed now!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

JossiRossi posted:

Priorities!

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Chocolate Donuts posted:

The current story is that Rossi's in... Idaho, I think, and I've been totally unable to reach him to actually do anything with it, but I'm still holding out hope that I'll wrangle him back in because our chemistry works really well for this game.

:smith: It's a dwindling hope.

JossiRossi posted:

Reunion! Its so beautiful :swoon:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Wasting time on getting a bed when there's LPs to be made? I don't think you got the right attitude for this, kid. :colbert:

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I'm such a piece of poo poo I hate it. :(

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

JossiRossi posted:

YER LOSIN' IT KID!

ONE MORE SLIP-UP AND YER OFF THE CASE! NOW GET OUT THERE AN' BOOK DEM LPs WITH YER PARTNER OR I'M TAKIN' YER BADGE!

(seriously though welcome back, glad you're all settled in hopefully because you and Donuts work really well together and we all miss the two of you)

TED BUNNDY
May 30, 2009

SO HUNGRY
Pork Pro

FinalGamer posted:

(seriously though welcome back, glad you're all settled in hopefully because you and Donuts work really well together and we all miss the two of you)

Can I empty-quote this without getting probated? I ask because this is how I feel.

For real, welcome back guys. I'm looking forward to the adventures of Wei Shen and the Broken Knees.

Flat Banana
Jun 7, 2008

JossiRossi posted:

You mean you're such a sei puk gai. Why don't you have a pork bun?

Are there any Cantogoons out there? The Wedding episode is a bit weird culturally for me (I'm Southeast Asian Cantonese) because for the various weddings I've attended, the bride and groom doesn't greet friends and families outside the wedding venue, they'll be too busy. I'm under the impression that close family friends (the jie mui) or family members would be in charge of the the guestbook and collecting red packets. Then Wei Shen doesn't actually give a red packet -- that's not giving face to your red pole tai kor, Wei. Does anyone know wedding sociology and practice in HK?

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Flat Banana posted:

You mean you're such a sei puk gai. Why don't you have a pork bun?

Are there any Cantogoons out there? The Wedding episode is a bit weird culturally for me (I'm Southeast Asian Cantonese) because for the various weddings I've attended, the bride and groom doesn't greet friends and families outside the wedding venue, they'll be too busy. I'm under the impression that close family friends (the jie mui) or family members would be in charge of the the guestbook and collecting red packets. Then Wei Shen doesn't actually give a red packet -- that's not giving face to your red pole tai kor, Wei. Does anyone know wedding sociology and practice in HK?

Wei Shen isn't married, so there isn't any need for him to give a red packet I believe.

Flat Banana
Jun 7, 2008

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Wei Shen isn't married, so there isn't any need for him to give a red packet I believe.

I'm under the impression that you give red packets regardless of marital status during weddings, and you give cost per person - it's certainly the norm here in SEA. It's only during Chinese New Year that married couples give out red packets to children (and single young adults in a mildly passive-aggressive way). Maybe Hong Kong is different! I don't know.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Flat Banana posted:

I'm under the impression that you give red packets regardless of marital status during weddings, and you give cost per person - it's certainly the norm here in SEA. It's only during Chinese New Year that married couples give out red packets to children (and single young adults in a mildly passive-aggressive way). Maybe Hong Kong is different! I don't know.
My understanding was that during Chinese New Year, elders doled out red packets to the kids, leading to many "Oh, are those grey hairs I see? Looks like someone's handing out red packets this year HAW HAW HAW" jokes when it's the season. During weddings and other events, it's kind of expected for relatives and underlings to give red packets. At least, that's how it seemed to go with my Chinese friends' families when I lived in Malaysia.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

So, not to promise too much, but next week provided Rossi actually manages to clear up his schedule this weekend I should get this going again finally. :v:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

My body is ready

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Chocolate Donuts posted:

So, not to promise too much, but next week provided Rossi actually manages to clear up his schedule this weekend I should get this going again finally. :v:
:woop: AWWWWWWWW YEAAAAAAAAAAH :woop:

I can finally start playing Sleeping Dogs again and keep up with you guys! I really don't wanna spoil the game for myself before seeing how it ends in the LP in the future.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

FinalGamer posted:

I really don't wanna spoil the game for myself before seeing how it ends in the LP in the future.
Interesting - usually people have the exact reverse definition of "spoiler", but this way you can move directly from watching the credits roll to starting up Sleeping Dogs 2! :)

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 16, 2013

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Interesting - usually people have the exact reverse definition of "spoiler", but this way you can move directly from watching the credits roll to starting up Sleeping Dogs 2! :)

While usually I do indeed have the reverse definition myself, I can see how you might want to first do pseudo-scripted gameplay with commentary ('pseudo-scripted' because the viewer, especially future viewer, has little to no control over the direction, however free the player themselves might be), followed by enjoying the freedom of playing yourself.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

aerion111 posted:

While usually I do indeed have the reverse definition myself, I can see how you might want to first do pseudo-scripted gameplay with commentary ('pseudo-scripted' because the viewer, especially future viewer, has little to no control over the direction, however free the player themselves might be), followed by enjoying the freedom of playing yourself.
I just really enjoy ChocolateDonuts' LP...a LOT. I love what he encounters, I love how he experiences it, I love this strange mix of gleeful boyish ultraviolence and outright horror at how far this game gets on crazy ideas. So because of that, he's kind of infected me with this excitable wonder of "what's gonna happen next" and it's because of that I don't WANT to know what happens next.

Normally I wouldn't care and just play through the game but, this game is so drat fun to experience with other people that I wanna see how HE experiences it because his reactions make it so much more fun.
...I guess you could say that to me, this is the purest example of why I love Let's Plays. Enjoying a game through the eyes of another person.

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
I can't hear you over the sound of how HIP I am.
I just finished watching all the videos. This LP made me by this game (And all the DLC) and I've already finished it. I've enjoyed this LP a lot already so I hope you're able to continue it ChocolateDonuts.

Are you going to show off any of the races? While they were the most frustrating part of this game for me (Second only to the quick time fights), I love how you can hear everyone swearing at you in Cantonese when you crash into their cars.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
Same here! Somehow I managed to evade this game until watching this LP, and have since finished it already (months ago). But yeah it's a super cool game, so thanks. Looking forward to the rest of it.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:frogsiren: Oh my god an update :frogsiren:
Video 18: Initiation, thank loving god. Rossi and I finally get the band back together in time to do some videos (I actually have three more in the pipe! yaaay productivity) and Wei Shen finally earns his official position within the Sun On Yee.

Razage posted:

Are you going to show off any of the races? While they were the most frustrating part of this game for me (Second only to the quick time fights), I love how you can hear everyone swearing at you in Cantonese when you crash into their cars.

I can if you want me to. Give me a bit to get something together. :v:

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
Yessssssssss.

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Ask me about capital Ds and how disintegration is totally rad.
I gotta wonder if Jackie ever really wanted to be fully in the Sun On Yee, I mean we all knew it wasn't built to kill a man like he just did, but after seeing him freak out perhaps him becoming a snitch would be his way out and he'd be alright with it. While normally Wei Shen is just a hardass psychopath cop with a chip on his shoulder, it is a fair point that right after Jackie is initiated that getting him in the slammer would be kind of a big hit to his credibility though.

Also it's pretty apparent that Jiang just wanted a bit of an idiot to take Po's place rather than someone who would be more dangerous in that position, like Big Smile Lee. I'll be really surprised if Uncle isn't offed in his hospital bed because hey, easy pickings for power or whatever.

I got nothing else, just can't wait to see more justice being served with a porkbun clutched in each fist, glad to see ya'll back in the saddle.

TED BUNNDY
May 30, 2009

SO HUNGRY
Pork Pro
Good to have you back, Donuts.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Awwwww yeah. Glad to see me back!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEES :neckbeard:

Awwwww I am so glad to see this LP back and kicking again, I missed hearing you guys in Hong Kong again.
So Face level stops at 10 huh? Did not know that. Also I always got a real Lady MacBeth vibe from Broken Nose Jiang, wayyyyy too smart to lead, but way too clever to be left alone. And as much as Jackie is a dipshit, he IS our bro and he's always got our back so it's great we can have him along...but I really worried about him bad after what he did here :( I hope he stays alright.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
欢迎回来,巧克力 大哥!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I do love the that cutscene where Pendrew asks Wei if he know about what happened to dogeyes.
"Haven't heard a word about what happened to Dogeyes, Oh and by the way, next time you order a pork dish from the Golden Koi, make sure that you ask that they use Long Pig meat. It's fantastic."

• Locked thread