Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Thief posted:

IMO, stamina is important in extended HB's/FRB. After about 30-40 minutes your pilot starts flying like :tinsley: without it. If you're in a turn fighter and in the middle of combat for most of the round, it will happen sooner.

... how long do FRBs typically last? :o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Not sure, but I've seen many HB's go on for over half an hour.

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
Another day with nobody on.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I can be on in half an hour, could use a GO invite on chat while I'm at it. IGN Monomyth

Valdor
Feb 13, 2012

Razzled posted:

... how long do FRBs typically last? :o

Usually around 30 minutes, although most of the players die within 15-20 minutes

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Whoever was talking about using the H6K as an AA platform on the airfields in low-tier domination games was so, so right. I tried it yesterday and it was the most fun I've had in this game for a while. The fact that it has a decent rewards percentage doesn't hurt either.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
Wanna go into the Russians and thinking about the gold lion planes, so which one of the Russian planes is actually worth buying for real money?

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Vax posted:

Wanna go into the Russians and thinking about the gold lion planes, so which one of the Russian planes is actually worth buying for real money?

The I-153 with cannons for fun times, and I have no idea if you are looking for something that makes a ton of lions.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Vax posted:

I-153P is fun for low-tier fights, but, in general, it is either P-39K-1 or P-63A-5, unless you're willing to get the bundle that will get you Tu-2, that is as fine plae as well.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Vax posted:

The Chaika with cannons at tier 5 (the aforementioned I-153P) absolutely destroys at tier 5 and still does pretty well if you don't get too suicidal with it in tier 7 games. Above that, your lack of speed just gets you boom n' zoomed by some rear end in a top hat with enough cannons to blow your poor little bliplane out of the air before you can do anything about it. The P-39 Aircobra has 6 MGs and one giant fuckoff 37mm cannon. It isn't the most nimble plane in the world, but once you get used to flying it, that 37mm cannon is absolute murder. I wouldn't recommend the Ilshak with cannons, but I didn't like the Ilshak as a tier 2 plane as it was.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

I'm almost certain Zeroes get some kind of damage boost in arcade. I know that sounds dumb, but I seriously get insta-kills almost always on my first pass. It might be because the combination of Zero's agility and the arcade lead indicator allows for absurd deflection shots.

:japan:

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

Generation Internet posted:

Whoever was talking about using the H6K as an AA platform on the airfields in low-tier domination games was so, so right. I tried it yesterday and it was the most fun I've had in this game for a while. The fact that it has a decent rewards percentage doesn't hurt either.

Let your gunners shoot people down once in a while and watch in free view as planes crash and burn around you if you get into a biplane heavy match. The kamikaze guys put a smile on my face.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I grabbed the year long premium today, and had enough left over to get the second Boomerang and the US BF-109 F4. Time to see how this bastard flies.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

king of the bongo posted:

Let your gunners shoot people down once in a while and watch in free view as planes crash and burn around you if you get into a biplane heavy match. The kamikaze guys put a smile on my face.

I always love it when they do that, you can tell they think they're so loving clever for suiciding into you, only to fly straight through you into the ground and have you get credited for the kill.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I went ahead and signed up for an account for this tonight and have been playing around with some of the newbie russian planes. I already don't like mouse and keyboard controls on arcade, the planes just seem super loving squirrley on yaw and rudder but completely stiff and unresponsive on the pitch. I think tomorrow I'll get my X52 control scheme set up and give historical a shot and see if I fare any better.

I did hit level 2 though, and was wondering if it was worth it to unlock and use some of the early russian light bombers.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

I went ahead and signed up for an account for this tonight and have been playing around with some of the newbie russian planes. I already don't like mouse and keyboard controls on arcade, the planes just seem super loving squirrley on yaw and rudder but completely stiff and unresponsive on the pitch. I think tomorrow I'll get my X52 control scheme set up and give historical a shot and see if I fare any better.

I did hit level 2 though, and was wondering if it was worth it to unlock and use some of the early russian light bombers.

Use the keyboard to control the pitch. I'd suggest remapping it to W/S and throttle to shift/ctrl.

The early Russian bombers are some of the best in the game. Avoid the first SB that can only unlock 2x500kg bombs, and go for the ones that can unlock 3x500kg.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Thought it'd be funny to annoy people by killing them with the worst decals covering my plane. Turned out it worked better than I thought.

Burno was flying his Sabre and had 2 jets chasing him so I tried to cover him. Killed the Me 163 first, then the Salamander. Also killed a Ta 152 and a 109 right after that.

Pay 2 Win™

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2Cdlj-kWz4

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Thief posted:

Thought it'd be funny to annoy people by killing them with the worst decals covering my plane. Turned out it worked better than I thought.

Burno was flying his Sabre and had 2 jets chasing him so I tried to cover him. Killed the Me 163 first, then the Salamander. Also killed a Ta 152 and a 109 right after that.

Pay 2 Win™

Jesus, what Spitfire was that? Your cannon ammo seemed everlasting too. Lucky. Nice flying though.

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

It looks like a Mark IX, with the identical radiators. I've been neglecting my spitfires for a while, I think I'll have to play those again.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Thief posted:

Pay 2 Win™

There were ~5 other Sabres on our team too, all killing bots or something equally as useless, luckily Thief was there in his US Spit Mk 9 to save me from 2x Me-163 and an He-162.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmsPM2fJEHI

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Playing bombers still isn't fun?

*closes thread*

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Joystick guys - devs have confirmed in yesterday Q&A, that nonlinearity tools work.

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/23257-hidden-axis-curves-settings-in-129/
http://www.xedocproject.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3-joystick-curves-development-version/

These are links to the initial tool, that is simple, and to the 'upgraded' tool from the same guy. Have not tested them myself yet.

For those, who are looking for the Q&A - http://www.reddit.com/r/Warthunder/comments/1j5g6k/unofficial_developer_qa_2013727_transcription/

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Roki B posted:

*closes thread*

Me and 2 goons last night all rolled up in H6K s with Expert'd crew and it was hilarious. We would roll 3 deep straight at their objectives and bomb the gently caress out of them and then laugh as they came at us and we just gunned them down from the rear with that ridiculous 20mm tail cannon. At one point, we were landing on the run way laughing as people were crashing and/or getting shot down trying to strafe us while we sat there repairing and rearming.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Roki B posted:

*closes thread*

Who told you that?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Roki B posted:

*closes thread*

Some are, like the B-25, which is at a decent tier to be a hilarious roving gunship/heavy-fighter in domination games while still being a great bomber. Then there's some of the other decisions they've made that I don't understand, such as why the gently caress the B-24 is a tier 16 despite being barely distinguishable from the B-17. At that tier you're never going to get anything but jet games in arcade where every plane can catch up to you in a matter of seconds and kill you even faster. It makes me fear for the B-29, which is inevitably gonna be tier 20 or something stupid.

However while I do bitch a lot about the American heavies, for every lovely death somehow involving a Bf-109 G6/10 (:argh:) there is usually a bright spot. Like shooting down a Yer-2 with the chin turret on a B-17G :black101:

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
Holy poo poo whoever gave the tip about the Boomerangs, thank you so much! But what about the Hellcat? Looks decent on paper, mayhaps the guns are a little small for Tier 7, but it's a good grinder, because lol 90% bonus? Is it worth 805 gold you guys think?

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Roki B posted:

*closes thread*

Please enlighten us :allears:

Dogfighting with 3 other goons in SB's is some of the most fun I've had with this game :getin:

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Vax posted:

Holy poo poo whoever gave the tip about the Boomerangs, thank you so much! But what about the Hellcat? Looks decent on paper, mayhaps the guns are a little small for Tier 7, but it's a good grinder, because lol 90% bonus? Is it worth 805 gold you guys think?

Handles a bit like a brick in my opinion. Group of us were flying F4Fs (US) i historic and doing great, decided to go up a few tiers to 6 and got those, went back the the F4Fs. It's a decent plane, turns nothing like the F4F though, flies like a P47.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Played some more newbie league today and got russians to level 3. Holy poo poo the new planes are all loving amazing compared to those old poo poo biplanes.

If I turn around and start leveling say, Americans or Germans, will it be matching me against people with similar account levels or national levels? Do I have to worry about eventually getting to where my lovely level 0 biplanes are being matched up against level 5-6 fighter craft?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

DeathSandwich posted:

Played some more newbie league today and got russians to level 3. Holy poo poo the new planes are all loving amazing compared to those old poo poo biplanes.

If I turn around and start leveling say, Americans or Germans, will it be matching me against people with similar account levels or national levels?

Nation levels. And have fun trying to play the German biplanes if you didn't like the Russian ones

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
The only things that could make this game more immersive are bomber cockpits, turret cockpits and being able to move around your plane if you're in a bomber. That would be so cool.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

DeathSandwich posted:

If I turn around and start leveling say, Americans or Germans, will it be matching me against people with similar account levels or national levels? Do I have to worry about eventually getting to where my lovely level 0 biplanes are being matched up against level 5-6 fighter craft?

What? The russian lvl 0 planes are loving amazing compared to pretty much all other nations. Only the ammo amount and the recharge time is annoying, but on the other hand you learn to get your aiming right from the start and not just spam the poo poo out of everything like with Britains planes.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

I can't decide myself buying some of those golden eagles. The fact is that I can't see myself playing WT as much to call myself an hardcore player, but the weekend offer is just mind-boggling (1 year premium I'm looking at you). My only doubt is that even if it technically costs about 35 bux I have to spend 50 to purchase an extra amount of eagles, so basically they're taking me 50$ in a while. Also I know that once you get addicted with those "premium" features you could never get back

Is this kind of offers something they do repeatedly so that I could purchase 3 months now and wait for the next one, even if in 5-6 months?

froody guy fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 28, 2013

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Rhopunzel posted:

The only things that could make this game more immersive are bomber cockpits, turret cockpits and being able to move around your plane if you're in a bomber. That would be so cool.

That would be terrible because I would never stop flying my B-17.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

froody guy posted:

Is this kind of offers something they do repeatedly so that I could purchase 3 months now and wait for the next one, even if in 5-6 months?

I hardly see how the game can reach 3 millions of registered accounts twice. For the rest of Eagles you can buy yourself some fine premium planes, that is how most of the guys have done it with this offer.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
I ended up getting the 2 boomerangs due to someones recommendation here and they are so drat fun, it's making me consider just going British at this point (I was focusing on Russian because they seem good all around). In the OP Brits are listed as being a less maneuverable turn fighter than the Japanese, does that put them in an awkward middle ground where they aren't quite fast or maneuverable enough to really shine or are they still good all the way through? I do like that they are faster than Japanese planes too, since the bit I tried them they just seemed far too slow.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

They're fine, but they shift into energy fighting with the rank progression.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
That's good to hear, I actually like energy fighting as well anyhow, plus the Brits seem to be one of the less played nations. Is the stuff after the Beaufighter in that line any good? I assume not because I hear people mention Beaufighters all the time but never the stuff after it, which is a shame because I really do like them so far.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
So currently my main nation is Russia, are Germans a suitable secondary nation as far as offering different gameplay style? I think I am finding I like ZnB style the best. I have the Dora fockwulf from the premium pack but am level 0 german atm.

Any notable premium planes on for the Germans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

So currently my main nation is Russia, are Germans a suitable secondary nation as far as offering different gameplay style? I think I am finding I like ZnB style the best. I have the Dora fockwulf from the premium pack but am level 0 german atm.

Any notable premium planes on for the Germans?

La-5s are pretty good, and excellent tiering for them. The premium Wellington used to be a cashcow, hop into HB, make a bomb run or two, die, repeat. You could make upwards or 2 mil in 25 or so matches, dunno if that's still viable. The Dora has gotten nerfed so much it doesn't even feel like a FW anymore.

• Locked thread