Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lord Lambeth posted:

I love that she's not even remotely attached to any quest(that I know of) and she oozes character anyway. She could have been a completely generic doctor but nope, obsidian had to make her different.

There's also a really nice touch in Honest Hearts where if you ask Daniel to cure your addictions he'll give you poo poo about using addictive substances in the first place. Come to think of it, RPing a religious character with dietary restrictions would be pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

StashAugustine posted:

There's also a really nice touch in Honest Hearts where if you ask Daniel to cure your addictions he'll give you poo poo about using addictive substances in the first place. Come to think of it, RPing a religious character with dietary restrictions would be pretty cool.

No fast travel on the Sabbath.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Saturday, Boone, is the Jewish day of rest. That means I don't barter, I don't fuckin' sneak, I don't handle caps, I don't cook at campfires, and I sure as poo poo DON'T loving FAST TRAVEL.

Shomer loving shabbos.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Lord Lambeth posted:

I love that she's not even remotely attached to any quest(that I know of) and she oozes character anyway. She could have been a completely generic doctor but nope, obsidian had to make her different.

Between you and me, I don't think she studied at an accredited institution :ohdear:

fake edit: Oh man, this is great stuff:

Fallout wiki posted:

If the player requests that she treats a chem addiction and they do not have sufficient caps to pay (50 caps), she will reply "Why didn't you say so? No problem, I'll give you my free cure. Here, lean in. It's a special doctor secret". She then yells at the player "Stop doing chems!"
:allears:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Of course the best way to play is with the Logan's Loophole trait. TAKE ALL THE DRUGS! :2bong:

Combine with Wild Wasteland for Hunter S. Thompson mode.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Honestly, chem addiction tends to be easy enough to deal with that I've stopped running Logan's Loophole on all my characters.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Honestly, chem addiction tends to be easy enough to deal with that I've stopped running Logan's Loophole on all my characters.

You don't run Logan's Loophole to avoid addiction.

You run Logan's Loophole because it stacks with Chemist for 4x chem duration. :hellyeah::2bong:

(60 second Turbo. :psyboom:)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

You don't run Logan's Loophole to avoid addiction.

You run Logan's Loophole because it stacks with Chemist for 4x chem duration. :hellyeah::2bong:

(60 second Turbo. :psyboom:)

Turbo always annoys me cause you get addicted and you have to be constantly high to alleviate addiction, so you're basically forced to take the hit unless you wanna spend all your rare drugs on making you move in slowmotion.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Turbo always annoys me cause you get addicted and you have to be constantly high to alleviate addiction, so you're basically forced to take the hit unless you wanna spend all your rare drugs on making you move in slowmotion.

Not if you have Logan's Loophole. That trait prevents you from getting addicted to chems, and it doubles their duration, at the expense of your max level being 30. It really isn't a drawback though, as by level 30 you'll pretty much have your desired build made and have almost all of the important skills and perks, not to mention the scaling goes out of whack after level 30 in some of the DLCs.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I usually play with JSawyer, which caps it at 21 :smith:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Fag Boy Jim posted:

This, plus dealing with addiction is kind of a nice little drawback. Also I'm way to :spergin: to give up those skillpoints.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Well, at least that way it completes the reference. v:v:v

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

What's the best way to earn money around level 15 in jsawyer? I'm always really hard up for caps at that point- murdering the entirety of Cottonwood Cove and selling all their poo poo at Barter 50 was just enough to cover a Trail Carbine, and I seem to have misplaced my shotgun somewhere.

e: The answer? Legion assassins, about 3000 caps a hit squad.

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 29, 2013

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
"This crater looks like it's been tag-teamed by giant fuckbots"

Obsidian :allears:

I'm enjoying OWB a lot more this time around, probably because I'm taking it a lot slower than my first time through. I also recently completed Honest Hearts, and I was really surprised at how short it seemed, especially after coming off of Dead Money.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

No matter how I play my character, I can never not take that option.

CJacobs posted:

Well, at least that way it completes the reference. v:v:v

For the novel, yes. 30 was for the movie version. :ssh:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Goddamn, that Someone to Watch Over Me quest got dark all of a sudden. :stare:

Was a little annoyed that there's no options to deal with Alice other than letting her go or shooting her on the spot. Now I have to resist the urge of those thousand caps just sitting there...

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Cross-Section posted:

Between you and me, I don't think she studied at an accredited institution :ohdear:
She went to the same institution where fantastic got his theoretical degree in physics.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

StashAugustine posted:

What's the best way to earn money around level 15 in jsawyer? I'm always really hard up for caps at that point- murdering the entirety of Cottonwood Cove and selling all their poo poo at Barter 50 was just enough to cover a Trail Carbine, and I seem to have misplaced my shotgun somewhere.

e: The answer? Legion assassins, about 3000 caps a hit squad.

Snowglobes, son. Goodsprings, Hoover dam, Mormon Fort, test site, and the strip are all in range for a low level character before you even talk to Mr. House. That's 10k you can quintuple with high luck at the tables before you even talk to Benny.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 29, 2013

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Was a little annoyed that there's no options to deal with Alice other than letting her go or shooting her on the spot. Now I have to resist the urge of those thousand caps just sitting there...

I'm assuming you didn't pass the speech checks? They are pretty high (like 75). Though, according to the wiki, there appears to be a way to reconcile Alice and her mom without having to pass any checks...

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Doubtful Guest posted:

Started re-playing through Fallout 3. This time with the theme of being a scout sent out by the Courier's New Vegas regime. I avoided Megaton (just like in my first play through) and struck out across the river. Vaguely IC journal

Notes from a DC scout:

:words:

I enjoyed this and would like to see more.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Robot Randy posted:

"This crater looks like it's been tag-teamed by giant fuckbots"

Obsidian :allears:

Apparently that was how Chris Avellone described Big Mt. in the original design meetings for OWB and they decided it was to funny not to put it in the game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Cross-Section posted:

I'm assuming you didn't pass the speech checks? They are pretty high (like 75). Though, according to the wiki, there appears to be a way to reconcile Alice and her mom without having to pass any checks...

Yeah, I saw those, I'd have just liked "Stay here until your father/NCR/whoever arrives!" "You'll never take me alive!" *gunfight* which would have the same result but it wouldn't look like your choices are either shooting a teen in cold blood or letting someone get away with murder.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
The pathos of the "recover a dead ranger's body" quest is a little ruined by the ranger's body flipping and flopping about on invisible hands as you sloooowly drag it back to the NCR sandbags.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ronya posted:

The pathos of the "recover a dead ranger's body" quest is a little ruined by the ranger's body flipping and flopping about on invisible hands as you sloooowly drag it back to the NCR sandbags.

I tried to break the tedium by seeing how far I could toss the corpse. Not very far, it turns out.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

I always make him do a little dance like it's Weekend at Bernie's.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
I can't recover the dead Ranger because his body is stuck/clipped into the pavement. Wish i could explain that to his widow.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Falukorv posted:

I can't recover the dead Ranger because his body is stuck/clipped into the pavement. Wish i could explain that to his widow.

Is it just a limb? Chop it off and bring back what you can.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
That widow quest annoys me because it's one of the few "if you ask for a reward you're punished" instances in the game. If you do it selflessly, you get a decent NCR rep boost. If you ask for compensation, you get fifty caps and negative karma. C'mon, son.

Also, it's weird that everyone talks up how noble it was to bring back this random soldier's body but right next to him is his ranger buddy's corpse, and no one gives a poo poo about it.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
When I first did that quest I couldn't figure out where I needed to drag him so for the next 30 minutes I slooooowly dragged him through cacti and whatever other unpleasantries one might find in the desert :saddowns:

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
Having recently finished Dead Money, the ending cutscene talked a lot about other DLC locations like the Divide, and what happens there. Is there an order I should be playing these in? I mean, I thought I'd do Dead money first since it was the first released.

But I don't really want to get any weird time stream things going on in courier's story.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Going by release date is fine. You can really play them in any order, except for lonesome road. You have to play that last.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Dodecalypse posted:

Having recently finished Dead Money, the ending cutscene talked a lot about other DLC locations like the Divide, and what happens there. Is there an order I should be playing these in? I mean, I thought I'd do Dead money first since it was the first released.

But I don't really want to get any weird time stream things going on in courier's story.

The release order is fine. You should definitely do Lonesome Road last – ideally right before the final battle at Hoover Dam.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Smirking_Serpent posted:

The release order is fine. You should definitely do Lonesome Road last – ideally right before the final battle at Hoover Dam.

Or make a save right before Hoover Dam, play it, then reload and play Lonesome Road as an epilogue. It's a pity they didn't make it work that way originally.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
You can still kinda be friendly with the NCR when going for an independant ending. You've basically got to handle a variety of quests for them, through them. The problem lies if you conflicting desires. They don't give a gently caress about the people on the strip, so the Three Families are irrelevant, but the Boomers, BoS, and a couple other quests are important. You'll Know It When It Happens requires you to be on good terms with the NCR up to that point, and that's probably the last thing you'll do friendly wise with them. Yes Man is pretty much always an option available to you, you just kind of have to ignore him up until the last minute, and then you can be like "oh hey lets do this for ourselves and he'll be like, WELL SURE BUDDY!

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
This game is amazing. I haven't been able to bring myself to use fast travel, because every time I travel across the wasteland I seem to find a new path or encounter something new. There are still areas where deathclaws will ruin my day, but that also works. Sneaking my way to the northeast to Ranger Station Bravo through the night with only E-DE to back me up and being greeted by a ranger saying "I don't know what you did to get this job, but you have my sympathies" was a memorable experience.

The only thing that's been dragging my science & energy weapons character down is the repair system, or being only able to fix things with another copy of the item. I tagged repair as my fourth skill and should have Jury Rigging soon, which should remove the problem. In the meantime, I had a sudden flash of insight when I was wondering where to get supplies to fix my guns: the Repconn facility. I found myself rummaging through the abandoned facility's storage rooms to get materials for weapon repair kits and plasma guns. I really like it when a gameworld has an internal logic that you can apply to your advantage. Drinking beer to improve my strength to carry all that stuff to a more convenient location was just icing on the cake. Immersion! :allears:

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009

SpookyLizard posted:

They don't give a gently caress about the people on the strip, so the Three Families are irrelevant, but the Boomers, BoS, and a couple other quests are important.

Do the Boomers work for "you" or is there a bit of a conflict if you do the quest for the NCR then go Yes Man?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Boomers pledge to help the Courier, not any of the factions. So while you get faction rep for going to the NCR and saying "they'll help", there's no conflict if you run off to House/Yes Man/Caesar afterwards.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
If you talk to the Ambassador after completing the boomer quest for Yes Man, you can tell Crocker they're working for "Us". As long as they aren't working for the Legion, they will bomb for NCR's benefit.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The Boomers always swear loyalty to you; no matter which side you're goig or want to help, they go with the Courier. You'll even say as much to the NCR or Legion, that the Boomers have sworn to bomb whoever you tell them to, not that the Boomers have allied with the NCR or Legion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, I was thinking of replaying New Vegas since I've never completed it. I had a look at the J.E Sawyer mod since it seems that it changes the game for the better. Is it a good idea to install the mod if you've never completed the game before?