Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
This isn't an 'App' question per se, but App Store. I've gotten THREE emails from Apple today with instructions on how to reset my password. They say that if I didn't request it, that my account is safe but this is getting ridiculous. What is the best way to escalate this so perhaps it's on record that it isn't me in the event one of their hack attempts is successful?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

They're likely not even legit password reset emails, but rather phishing attempts.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

They're likely not even legit password reset emails, but rather phishing attempts.

I'm not sure, it's going to :

https://iforgot.apple.com/cgi-bin/resetPassword.cgi?.......

which, I believe, is the legit site. It also came to my gmail address (which is not a common one to be mistyped easily) which is pretty good at getting this kind of spam sorted out.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Is there an app that allows you to wirelessly print from an iPhone/iPad to a printer that is hooked up to a computer on the same wireless network?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Is there an app that allows you to wirelessly print from an iPhone/iPad to a printer that is hooked up to a computer on the same wireless network?
AirPrint is built into the OS, but Apple removed the functionality for a computer to act as the server. Instead you're supposed to buy AirPrint-enabled Wi-Fi printers.

That said I believe the AirPrint server beta files are still usable and floating around on the Internet. Google "enable Airprint Windows/OS X" depending on the desktop OS you use.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Does anyone have any experience with Geocaching apps? Are there any free ones good enough to use?

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

JHVH-1 posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Geocaching apps? Are there any free ones good enough to use?

I haven't found anything that works anywhere near as well as the Official App.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

https://www.collobos.com/ Used to be called fingerprint, it's now called presto. For windows only.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TraderStav posted:

I'm not sure, it's going to :

https://iforgot.apple.com/cgi-bin/resetPassword.cgi?.......

which, I believe, is the legit site. It also came to my gmail address (which is not a common one to be mistyped easily) which is pretty good at getting this kind of spam sorted out.
Might just be a bump in attempts in general lately with the whole dev center breach news, or your email/account name is out there or perhaps typo'd for another similar name? (Yeah I know you said it wasn't easily typo'd, but hey there's a crapload of users out there, someone could have a similar one)

Anyway for increased security in general, enable two factor authentication on your account, and any account where possible really. Most of the major sites/services support it now in one way or another.

And about your earlier post, I don't think there's a way to escalate in a simple way like a "that wasn't me!" link, probably cause the possibility of simple typos and stuff giving false positives. (Same goes for Steam for that matter, got a password reset email for that one today)

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

eriddy posted:

Any recommendations for an app that lets me control my PC's mouse from across the room? I watch movies on the monitor connected to the PC and I want to be able to change volume and pick and choose different movies to play but I don't want to get up from the couch for even a single second. I've got an ipad and iphone.

XBMC remote for XBMC, iTunes remote for iTunes, Mobile Mouse for the odd time where you actually need to control your mouse.

http://mobilemouse.com/

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

japtor posted:

Might just be a bump in attempts in general lately with the whole dev center breach news, or your email/account name is out there or perhaps typo'd for another similar name? (Yeah I know you said it wasn't easily typo'd, but hey there's a crapload of users out there, someone could have a similar one)

Anyway for increased security in general, enable two factor authentication on your account, and any account where possible really. Most of the major sites/services support it now in one way or another.

And about your earlier post, I don't think there's a way to escalate in a simple way like a "that wasn't me!" link, probably cause the possibility of simple typos and stuff giving false positives. (Same goes for Steam for that matter, got a password reset email for that one today)

Interesting, I'll have to google up how to turn on two factor auth to lock it down. Thanks for the info!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Back at my computer now, here you go: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5570

(not that their implementation is without issues :tinfoil:)

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Haven't tried it but this looks plausible: Print Files from any Mobile Phone using Dropbox

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010
Hey apps thread, I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction with some app troubleshooting.

My girlfriend has an iPad 4, and has subscribed to National Geographic. A few months ago, the app became 'National Geographic International Edition', and she can no longer access any issues - only the 'Buy' button appears.
Things we've tried - restarting the iPad, deleting/reinstalling the app, the app's 'Restore Purchases' option, contacting both Apple and National Geographic.

Apple and Nat Geo keep passing the buck to one another and are both incredibly unhelpful. Nat Geo say it's a store issue, so it's Apple's domain. Apple say it's an app issue, so Nat Geo need to fix it.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Apologies if this post should be in the Haus of Tech Support rather than here.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Apropos of nothing I just tried out Splashtop tonight and it works adequately. It was free today and I tried out Cyberduck, watching a movie and MS Word. Text (on my mini iPad) was nearly illegible by default but you can zoom in and out and then pan around.

Scrolling in programs and double clicks and a lot of things are difficult or counter intuitive compared to well designed apps and sometimes nearly impossible but I'm new to the iOS stuff so maybe it's just me. There are probably better apps but I think it's neato. :corsair:

If anyone has recc's for superior alternatives I'd love to hear them.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Can anyone recommend a good painting app for the iPad? Preferably one with some adobe style manipulation tools

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Lastpass vs. 1password?

I currently use Keepass with DropBox and since I'm planning to leave DropBox for another cloud provider I don't want to leave the key in DropBox. Anyway, looking for something that is easy to use, looks nice and will since with my 3 units; MacBook, PC and iPhone.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

Lastpass vs. 1password?

I currently use Keepass with DropBox and since I'm planning to leave DropBox for another cloud provider I don't want to leave the key in DropBox. Anyway, looking for something that is easy to use, looks nice and will since with my 3 units; MacBook, PC and iPhone.

Lastpass

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

1password

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

obi_ant posted:

Lastpass vs. 1password?

1P

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

I recently switched from Keepass to Lastpass, and second this.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

obi_ant posted:

Lastpass vs. 1password?

LastPass is awesome, I love its fingerprint reader integration on my Thinkpad.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Lastpass owns because it is not something you install on your computer to access. I can get to my lastpass vault from any computer with an internet connection and I can't do that (to my understanding) with 1password.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Can anyone recommend a good painting app for the iPad? Preferably one with some adobe style manipulation tools

Procreate for drawing and painting, Photoshop Touch for image editing, and Paper if you just want to sketch stuff up.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Can anyone recommend a comic reader app? I've been using ComicFlow for the last year, but it's just too unwieldy to upload/organise comics on, as the only options are through iTunes which dumps them in a giant unsorted list, or through a web server that allows you to tag files for sorting but only during upload and doesn't support any kind of reorganising/deleting functions.

I downloaded ComicRack for my PC to look at whether I wanted to buy it for the iPad, but it goes in the opposite direction where it has so many features that it's confusing. All I'm really looking for is something that displays nicely and allows me to upload, sort or delete comic series quickly and easily.

Slid Zion
Jun 7, 2013
Iīm trying to figure out netflix and airplay on iPad. Please tell that netflix hasīt implemented airplay in their app, otherwise it would be a disastrous hit to my self confidence :/ How do i solve this?

Slid Zion
Jun 7, 2013

obi_ant posted:

Lastpass vs. 1password?

1Password with dropbox sync!

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Slid Zion posted:

Iīm trying to figure out netflix and airplay on iPad. Please tell that netflix hasīt implemented airplay in their app, otherwise it would be a disastrous hit to my self confidence :/ How do i solve this?
Airplay is in the OS, not the app. Run Netflix (or pretty much any app or even the springboard,) double-click the home button, swipe right twice, select the icon with the arrow pointing up into a box (to the right of the volume control), and choose the airplay destination. Optionally choose mirroring.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

Can anyone recommend a comic reader app? I've been using ComicFlow for the last year, but it's just too unwieldy to upload/organise comics on, as the only options are through iTunes which dumps them in a giant unsorted list, or through a web server that allows you to tag files for sorting but only during upload and doesn't support any kind of reorganising/deleting functions.

I downloaded ComicRack for my PC to look at whether I wanted to buy it for the iPad, but it goes in the opposite direction where it has so many features that it's confusing. All I'm really looking for is something that displays nicely and allows me to upload, sort or delete comic series quickly and easily.

ComicZeal is the app you want.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Slid Zion posted:

Curious what you would be air playing to that didn't already have a Netflix app.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

eriddy posted:

Lastpass owns because it is not something you install on your computer to access. I can get to my lastpass vault from any computer with an internet connection and I can't do that (to my understanding) with 1password.

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/1passwordanywhere.html

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
1Password is expensive.

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002
[img]platypus[/img] The platypus stands as a testament to my own stupidity

PaganGoatPants posted:

1Password is expensive.

This is really the one complaint about 1Password that I can get behind, it is certainly pricey to stick it on all your devices. However, it is awesome and I love the browser integrations and the new iOS client with the internal browser is pretty sweet, like running your browser on your desktop. I only wish that you could use the browser portion without signing into your db until you needed to. I feel like on the whole it was money well spent (though I bought family licenses and my wife doesn't actually use it so bit of a waste there).

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

SwiftStrikerInc posted:

This is really the one complaint about 1Password that I can get behind, it is certainly pricey to stick it on all your devices. However, it is awesome and I love the browser integrations and the new iOS client with the internal browser is pretty sweet, like running your browser on your desktop. I only wish that you could use the browser portion without signing into your db until you needed to. I feel like on the whole it was money well spent (though I bought family licenses and my wife doesn't actually use it so bit of a waste there).

Agreed, 1Password is expensive - but as I've said before, in my opinion it is totally worth it.

Slid Zion
Jun 7, 2013

benisntfunny posted:

Curious what you would be air playing to that didn't already have a Netflix app.

I have a hackintosh (Mac pro..ish) that runs an airplay receiver. And yes i can play netflix from the PC but its easier to agree upon content in the soffa (iPhone/iPad) and then just stream it (in theory anyhow). Perhaps i should just spend $ and purchase and appleTV.

Slid Zion
Jun 7, 2013

PaganGoatPants posted:

1Password is expensive.

Yes but my content is more valuable.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Downcast is only a buck right now, might want to jump on it if you're fed up with the Apple Podcasts app like I am.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Slid Zion posted:

Perhaps i should just spend $ and purchase and appleTV.

Yeah, you won't regret it. Refurbs are $75 now.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

syscall girl posted:

Apropos of nothing I just tried out Splashtop tonight and it works adequately. It was free today and I tried out Cyberduck, watching a movie and MS Word. Text (on my mini iPad) was nearly illegible by default but you can zoom in and out and then pan around.

Scrolling in programs and double clicks and a lot of things are difficult or counter intuitive compared to well designed apps and sometimes nearly impossible but I'm new to the iOS stuff so maybe it's just me. There are probably better apps but I think it's neato. :corsair:

If anyone has recc's for superior alternatives I'd love to hear them.

I'm also interested in this. I basically want to use my iPhone as a gesture pad on Windows 7. I don't care about mouse control, I just gestures for scrolling (omnidirectionally), back/forward, maybe closing/minimizing windows and optionally other more advanced stuff.

Is there anything like that out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ming the Merciless
Aug 10, 2005
You're a beard with an idiot hanging off of it.
Something like LogMeIn?

• Locked thread