Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Alchenar posted:

90% of players don't read game forums, 90% of players never play multiplayer, 90% of players don't use mods.

These are pretty standard statistics and is why relying primarily on game forums for feedback is a terrible idea.

They used the statistics on the survey you saw when you boot up the game. You had to option to take part in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I can't wait to see who in the tutorial teaches me the game in EvW.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

SkySteak posted:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Alchenar posted:

I guarantee that every single review for HOI4 will at some point contain a variation on the sentence "don't worry, this isn't like HOI3".

Unless... it's worse... :ohdear:

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

SkySteak posted:

Slobodan Milosevic.

Though now I'm terrified I might be right.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think I'm just sore because it's an era that's been underserved grand strategy wise (you've got, what... Supreme Ruler?) and these guys have managed to take every single interesting element about the time period and either ignore it, handle it badly, or blatantly change it for the worse. At least, uh... World Stage... was just loving up an era that the main EU series treats very well.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

SkySteak posted:

Richard Nixon.

"Henry says this screen controls economic policy. Use the sliders to cut welfare rolls and make the bums get a job, or leave it on 'automatic' and let the Jews down at the Treasury take care of it."

"We've got to keep our national 'Dissent' value down before it is allowed to sap our morale. We can't let the goddamn longhairs and dope dealers disrupt order and blow up our campuses."

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The Nozzle posted:

Richard Nixon.

"Henry says this screen controls economic policy. Use the sliders to cut welfare rolls and make the bums get a job, or leave it on 'automatic' and let the Jews down at the Treasury take care of it."

"We've got to keep our national 'Dissent' value down before it is allowed to sap our morale. We can't let the goddamn longhairs and dope dealers disrupt order and blow up our campuses."

This would actually make me want to buy the game, though.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

The Nozzle posted:

Richard Nixon.

"ARROOOOOO!"

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Nozzle posted:

Richard Nixon.

I have never played a Paradox tutorial, but if this happens I will play that tutorial so much.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Nixon: Jesus Christ.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The number of crashes in quill's videos is slightly worrying, although I understand he has a much earlier version of the game than its current iteration. His superficial grasp of game mechanics annoys me sometimes, but he generally maintains a pretty decent patter, and has a nice voice.

EU4 is looking great. I love the shift to "power" of various kinds, and its importance in so many aspects of gameplay: province improvements, diplomacy, technology, etc. I think it will lead to much more interesting decision-making, and hope it will greatly lessen the restrictions imposed by certain EU3 game mechanics. I still wish the trade routes were dynamic on the map, and that new ones could rise and withered ones die, but it's a step in the right direction. However, the fact that American trade routes are visible before there is any trade with the Americas is mildly disconcerting.

Oh, and one thing that struck me when I was watching the most recent video- if a player is offered a stability boosting event at 3 stability, there should be some kind of alternate reward- like 100 admin power. It's so annoying to be at full stability and let a +1 stab just go to waste because the other option is like +2% revolt risk and 50 DKP MINUS or whatever the gently caress. I'm not sure how much attention the generic events have gotten, but a moderate revamp might do some good. In EU3, the player is frequently presented with choices in name only, but changing events from giving +1 stability to giving 100 admin power could help show off the new system and freshen up the events with some meaningful decisions.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

pdxjohan posted:

In what alternate universe? Its still our bestselling title, with a huge active community.

HoI3 itself is the best-selling Paradox title? Or are you counting like, every game in the HoI series, maybe including AoD/DH? It blows my mind that HoI3 itself could be the best-selling title.

Then again, I bought it at release. :negative:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

HoI3 itself is the best-selling Paradox title? Or are you counting like, every game in the HoI series, maybe including AoD/DH? It blows my mind that HoI3 itself could be the best-selling title.

Why are you so skeptical? Of all of Paradox's titles, "WW2 simulator" is the least niche. It's easy to imagine people passing over games like EU3 and CK2 because "meh I don't want to play old boring history stuff", but getting interested in a WW2 game because "woo Americans vs Nazis".

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think I'm just sore because it's an era that's been underserved grand strategy wise (you've got, what... Supreme Ruler?) and these guys have managed to take every single interesting element about the time period and either ignore it, handle it badly, or blatantly change it for the worse. At least, uh... World Stage... was just loving up an era that the main EU series treats very well.

Yeah, I think it's mostly disappointed expectations. There is a lot of really interesting stuff in this period that would be awesome if recreated in the usual paradox style, but open warfare is by far the least interesting one. There is a reason the era is called the Cold War. And this 'We are are the World' contest only helps to highlight that the developers have some odd priorities, since they apparently picked a guy who will only become relevant if you reform the Kingdom of Prussia. Clearly the most pressing issue in a Cold War game.

In the end, this wont be a horrible game, but instead of a genuine simulator of Cold War politics, it will be HoI3: Modern Times.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Bold Robot posted:

As did I. At the time I didn't really follow the gossip threads prior to game releases and when I saw Hearts of Iron 3 on Steam I figured HoI2 was awesome why not buy it. I got in and started tinkering around and found it less interesting for me than HoI2 because the entire point of the game is to make and watch AI controlled armies rather than actually do miracle poo poo with nations like Poland with skilled play. Even if I did like it the game apparently was nonfunctional as certain nations like USA because of supply or something?

I preordered EUIV but I don't believe it will be something I regret. That Quill guy has been streaming his game and it seems quite stable and functional even on his press release version. At the very least it's as functional as EUIII.

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013

The Nozzle posted:

Richard Nixon.

Stop making me want things that I will never get :mad:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

BillBear posted:

They used the statistics on the survey you saw when you boot up the game. You had to option to take part in it.

How many people actually use the launchers? First thing I ever do is create a shortcut that just launches the game directly.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

PittTheElder posted:

How many people actually use the launchers? First thing I ever do is create a shortcut that just launches the game directly.

I always use the launcher in CK2 and V2 because it makes it easier to manage mods and DLC. (I don't *always* want to play with Sunset Invasion, for instance).

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Yeah, I rarely used to use the launcher, but it's just so much more convenient with mods and DLC that I use it every time now. I think if you're used to the EU3 era, you'd skip it, but the new launcher is really great, especially for DLC.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Oh hey, only a couple more days until they reveal the last 2 preorder bonuses for EU4.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Kersch posted:

Oh hey, only a couple more days until they reveal the last 2 preorder bonuses for EU4.

Nope, more like half a day

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kersch posted:

Free copy of EU3!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

V for Vegas posted:

Free copy of EU3!

They did that for that newsletter campaign so unlikely.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm surprised no one posted Quill's new EU video.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

The Nozzle posted:

I'm surprised no one posted Quill's new EU video.

Clausewitz 2.5 has never looked so good.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

JGBeagle posted:

I've gotten to the point where I enjoy modding the games more than play them.

I've spent over two thousand hours playing my own modded version of eu3, so you can lump me in this group. And I've spent another few hundred tweaking the mod over the years, so definitely a lot of enjoyment out of modding for me.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

The final Preorder DLC for Europa Universalis IV updated.

http://www.europauniversalis4.com/buy

It's a CK2 -> EU4 save game converter (Which we knew but seems to answer the question about whether it generates a mod or merely transfers your save game).

Also, a free copy of Crusader Kings 2!

Really smart marketing. Most people preordering EU4 probably have CK2, so they'll give it to their friends and generate good will. If they don't own it, they can play that, get ready for EU4, and continue their game.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Just posted this morning:

Johan posted:

Savoy

They start with +2 more diplomatic relations, and 25% quicker decay of bad relations.
Repel the French: +25% Defensiveness
The Shroud of Turin: Papal Influence +1, Prestige +0.5
Mercenary Tradition: 25% Cheaper Mercenaries
Crush the Vaudois: +3 Missionary Strength.
Savoyard Flexibility: 10% cheaper ideas.
Alpine Tolls: 10% Stronger Mercantilism
Savoyard Legitimacy: +1 Yearly Legitimacy

When fully powered up, they get +10% Tax Income.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Daaaaaamn.
When I saw CK2 on sale on Steam, I wavered between preordering EU4 or buying CK2 and its expansions and getting EU4 during the Christmas sale. I chose the latter. :suicide:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's a CK2 -> EU4 save game converter (Which we knew but seems to answer the question about whether it generates a mod or merely transfers your save game).

I wonder if EU4 features dynamic tags like V2, for the sake of converted random duchies/counties and colonial rebels.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Well, it looks like I should actually finish a game of CKII now, just so I can use it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Grey Hunter posted:

Well, it looks like I should actually finish a game of CKII now, just so I can use it.

Do a day-by-day LP of it :v:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am confused now, will I get a CK2 copy with the steam preorder too?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Yeah they havent elaborated how the free copies will be given out but it's likely through whoever you bought it from.

I figure it's probably worth mentioning that I doubt CK2Plus saves will work. I'm not a programmer but i feel like all the new cultures and countries in that might gently caress with the conversion.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Eurobros: picking the game up off Amazon is significantly cheaper, and all you need is a fake USA address.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

Also, a free copy of Crusader Kings 2!

Really smart marketing. Most people preordering EU4 probably have CK2, so they'll give it to their friends and generate good will. If they don't own it, they can play that, get ready for EU4, and continue their game.

Well, I know what I'm converting:

:getin:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Alchenar posted:

Do a day-by-day LP of it :v:

I'd need to find an imortallity serium first.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

They're gonna be showcasing the converter:

Paradox Interactive
Today we announced that if you pre-order Europa Universalis IV, you will get a save converter which will read the details of a saved game from a Crusader Kings II and convert that into a game that can be played in Europa Universalis IV.
To showcase this we're hosting a live steam tonight at 11 am PDT (6 pm GMT/7 pm BST/ 8 pm CEST) at: http://twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
...I preordered EU IV weeks ago.

I have never been happier about that decision than I am right now.

• Locked thread