Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jedit posted:

Silent Night, Bloody Night beat it to the punch by a few months. Still, Black Christmas was a trailblazer.

A couple of years, I think you mean, unless we're talking about two different movies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

This is the new IMAX poster for Gravity. Yeah, it's minimalist in a lazy way, but it at least works on a marketing level of tying in well with the images in the trailers.

I also felt like posting some image for Monkey Shines, which is Romero's real most important contribution to the horror genre.

The first poster is definitely better, but this box art at least makes it clear that it's an actual monkey, not a toy that's the killer.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

This is the new IMAX poster for Gravity. Yeah, it's minimalist in a lazy way, but it at least works on a marketing level of tying in well with the images in the trailers.

More than that, this poster is actually quite terrifying. I'm uncomfortable just looking at it.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

The MSJ posted:

More than that, this poster is actually quite terrifying. I'm uncomfortable just looking at it.

Yeah, this is minimalist for a very good, thematic reason, not just *random item from random scene* *crinkled paper filter*

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
I feel like there's something to this concept, but the execution...

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007

casa de mi padre posted:

I think there was a stamp in Kid Pix that made letters like that.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sockser posted:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOY

Who likes minimalist posters? IS IT YOU? YOU DAMNED RIGHT YOU DO

http://imgur.com/gallery/IAD8x

LOOK AT ALL OF THESE QUALITY POSTERS

OH drat!

SEE? BECUASE

Ugh. How did this become a loving trend.

A heart, a lamp, and a ballsack?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Oh I get it the tin man wants a heart and the scarecrow wants a brain and that can be a light bulb I guess and the lion wants courage so aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Oh I get it the tin man wants a heart and the scarecrow wants a brain and that can be a light bulb I guess and the lion wants courage so aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Also the balls are an upside down heart which means that it's a better poster since it uses less symbols to make its point.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

casa de mi padre posted:

Just for the hell of seeing with a different execution:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

casa de mi padre posted:

At a glance, I thought this was the Japanese poster.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

uPen posted:

Also the balls are an upside down heart which means that it's a better poster since it uses less symbols to make its point.

Should have turned the light bulb upside down and made it pure black so it would become the massive dick that Toto wished for.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
Turned the upside-down heart green because the Wicked Witch probably wanted a bigger rack.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I think the Star Trek movie posters need some love, and not the new ones either. They all look like covers to the inevitable novelizations of them.

Although I did think this one was a little :3:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

casa de mi padre posted:

Yeah, there's a lot of play with the ground (the Earth) and subject (the astronaut) that they could have just left title alone and it would be 100% better. The disorientation and interaction of those two alone is enough to tell you that the movie is about being helplessly and hopelessly lost in space.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Maybe the title could've been zooming out in a spiral, like the poster for The Black Hole.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Maybe the title could've been zooming out in a spiral, like the poster for The Black Hole.

How about a comedy option?:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

casa de mi padre posted:

The turning letters make it look like the astronaut was ambling along the title and fell off.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
Those Gravity posters work because they're not minimalist for the sake of being minimalist. It's actually used appropriately to convey the vastness and emptiness of space and the insignificance of a single person lost in it. Whereas a Big Lebowski poster with just a white russian on it is just lazy.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

...of SCIENCE! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7gIpuIVE3k

Silent Night, Deadly Night is a loving masterpiece.

That's from part 2, actually. My friends got me a dvd of 1 and 2 a while back, they're awesome.

This is from part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr4yK2ZW1wI

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

effectual posted:

That's from part 2, actually. My friends got me a dvd of 1 and 2 a while back, they're awesome.

This is from part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr4yK2ZW1wI

I've never actually seen Part 1 because apparently Part 2 is about 50% recycled footage from part 1, framed as the main character recounting the events of the first movie. The actual new bits are loving amazing, mostly due to the lead actor and his eyebrows..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uxSGRNLA6o

There's even a scene in Part 2 where they're in a movie theater watching part 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5GP-KK4rT0

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 31, 2013

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I've never actually seen Part 1 because apparently Part 2 is about 75% recycled footage from part 1, framed as the main character recounting the events of the first movie. The actual new bits are loving amazing, mostly due to the lead actor and his eyebrows..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uxSGRNLA6o

There's even a scene in Part 2 where they're in a movie theater watching part 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5GP-KK4rT0

The director commentary is hilarious for part 2. Find it if you can.

Terminal Entropy posted:

Just for the hell of seeing with a different execution:

Not bad, but I'd space the letters out further and make the circle/font bigger to compensate. Original is great though.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 31, 2013

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

The reason there's no stars behind the astronaut is because that's a 2001 monolith.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

casa de mi padre posted:

Am I the only one who thinks the "R" looks too much like the "A"? To the point that if this your first exposure to the movie you'll not understand the title and think it's a foreign film.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I know his films never get great posters, but I just want one amazing promo for Gravity to give me hope that it'll be good.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...

Lizard Combatant posted:

I know his films never get great posters, but I just want one amazing promo for Gravity to give me hope that it'll be good.

The one I saw in IMAX 3D ahead of Pacific Rim was pretty drat nerve-wracking. This will get my money easily.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I tried to make my own Gravity poster, but something went wrong....

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Tripwyre posted:

The one I saw in IMAX 3D ahead of Pacific Rim was pretty drat nerve-wracking. This will get my money easily.

Oh good, didn't know there was one out.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Lizard Combatant posted:

This is two minutes of a 17-minute shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4pcg7bXgmU

Enjoy your nightmares!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This is two minutes of a 17-minute shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4pcg7bXgmU

Enjoy your nightmares!

Cheers, but I just watched the teaser and I'm sold on that. Glad people are reassuring me though. Now to avoid all other trailers.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I finally understand why those "minimalist" posters make me so angry. It's not because they are lazy. That Gravity poster is lazy. But it's also terrifying. It conveys an emotion and invites you to take part in it. It is sincere. Almost all great posters are like that. They communicate something.

Whereas the only thing those minimalist posters communicate is this hipster-ish cool detachment. It's lame to be sincere about something after all. Like, they are too good for the movies they make posters for. They already mastered it, already know it's details and they want to show you that mastery with no effort at all.

Look at this poo poo. I want to find whoever did this and punch him in his smug face.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

fspades posted:

I finally understand why those "minimalist" posters make me so angry. It's not because they are lazy. That Gravity poster is lazy. But it's also terrifying. It conveys an emotion and invites you to take part in it. It is sincere. Almost all great posters are like that. They communicate something.

Whereas the only thing those minimalist posters communicate is this hipster-ish cool detachment. It's lame to be sincere about something after all. Like, they are too good for the movies they make posters for. They already mastered it, already know it's details and they want to show you that mastery with no effort at all.

Look at this poo poo. I want to find whoever did this and punch him in his smug face.

It's a lazy, popular thing because people (like me) with zero artistic talent can make a minimalist poster in Photoshop, following one of the many tutorials found online, much more easily than they can make a decent original poster. It's the same reason it seems like every person aged 21-30 with a flannel shirt, tight pants, and black glasses is a 'photographer.'

I think I found this one here and it's still my favorite. It was many moons ago before there were millions and I was much less cynical about these things. They've ruined my memories.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

casa de mi padre posted:

Hehe, at thumbnail size I thought it was Japanese text.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
They recently announced a set of DLC for Bioshock: Infinite that's a detective noir set in the underwater city from the first game. All it does is make me want to see Chinatown again.

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic

...of SCIENCE! posted:

They recently announced a set of DLC for Bioshock: Infinite that's a detective noir set in the underwater city from the first game.

Huh. I could see that work. I always felt like the last game would be more suited for a mystery/adventure game instead of a shooter. Just walking around in the beautfil environment and slowly unravel what's beneath the shiny surface.

Have we had any Ghana posters lately? Because they kick rear end in their sincerity and somehow manage to be better than much of the usual stuff.

Personal favourite: Midnight Heat. How can you not love a face like that?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Are those faces on the Face/Off poster the same people? And a triple-barrel handgun made by MC Escher?

Also, Deep Roy as Scorpion King.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The MSJ posted:

Also, Deep Roy as Scorpion King.

I was thinking more Danny Devito from Lethal Weapon 5.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
I've only seen a neck like the guy on the Midnight Heat poster once.

It was in The Thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
They turned The Rock into Samoa Joe.