Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
It's a shame that there are idiots that kind of ruin the fun of the game for others. Where I live, it's been a pretty good experience and have had friendly chat with the opposing team members in the comms occasionally. I'm part of the resistance which makes up about 70% of the player base in our area. Some of us resistance try to play fairly, like putting lower leveled resonators and not add mods to encourage the few enlightened to continue playing and level up. I haven't ran into hardcore idiots, but I've seen some discussion about one or two in our G+ discussions. As far as safety goes, just use common sense and don't go out when it's dark, or don't go to unfamiliar areas that are secluded.

Now to change the subject...

I reached level 6 a couple days ago, I managed to snag 90k experience solo by taking over portals at the university. Then someone decided to take them back 2am the following morning so my phone ended up going bonkers when I was trying to sleep. I have feeling it's going to take me a couple months until I reach level 7. There's just not enough enlightened activity so I make majority of my AP from creating control fields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
I just leave attack notifications off. In Pittsburgh, the Resistance are frighteningly effective, so attack notices are really just "AP available in this region!" notices.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I turned off notifications because portals that I captured while a couple states away were constantly under attack but they managed to not be neutralized for two months. I would get notifications every day about something generic like "In Memorial (N Gay St, Baltimore, MD) is under attack!"

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread as it seems to have died off a bit: I've got four three two invites to give away, if you want one just reply with your e-mail address (Or PM it to me if you'd prefer).

So I just watched the latest Ingress Report episode (Albeit a bit late) and the new scanner features look pretty cool although it also looks like they're adding even more flashy 3D particle effects so I hope that they also improve performance to offset them. I've got an S4 and for the most part the scanner runs fine but when I'm in a high density area it starts to really tank.

Edit: I hope they introduce a button to recycle/drop multiple items at once in the next update. At the moment item management is a massive pain in the rear end.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 31, 2013

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh god, even an S4 chugs on this thing? My poor Droid Pro would probably just explode.

By the way, how does everyone feel about modded apps? Not ones that let you automate actions or drop a million XMPs at once or anything, but ones that optimize for low resolutions, reduce graphical load, provide a better organized inventory, and the like? They're all against the EULA, but so is IITC.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I can't believe they've gone through so many updates without introducing a mass drop feature. I have to assume it is because people could shut down servers with the amount of items being dropped. v:confused:v

PerrineClostermann posted:

Oh god, even an S4 chugs on this thing? My poor Droid Pro would probably just explode.

By the way, how does everyone feel about modded apps? Not ones that let you automate actions or drop a million XMPs at once or anything, but ones that optimize for low resolutions, reduce graphical load, provide a better organized inventory, and the like? They're all against the EULA, but so is IITC.

It is like the military... don't ask, don't tell! :gay:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

edit: n/m

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Been playing with Scanner 1.32.1, and it's super nice so far. I love that now clicking "Deploy Resonator" now starts as a top-down approach instead of bottom-up.

The new recharge UI is slick as hell, too.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Deploy resonator still deploys the lowest ones for me in 1.32.1 :confused:

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

FrickenMoron posted:

Deploy resonator still deploys the lowest ones for me in 1.32.1 :confused:

Huh. I'd just heard that from one of the other local E. I hadn't tried it yet as I'm presently not attired to walk down the street to the microfarm.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

As you can see it defaults the selection to the lowest one you have still. It's quite a bit faster to switch though which is a lot better than the old clunky interface where you had to wait for ages to rotate through the resonator list.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I'm not being offered the update via the Play store on my handset so I assume that they're doing a phased release like with v3.31.

Edit: so I was looking around on the Play store and I've found that another app called Field Trip has been published by NianticLabs@Google. I reckon Google started Ingress as a way to seed this Field Trip app prior to releasing it.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 31, 2013

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

cheese-cube posted:

I'm not being offered the update via the Play store on my handset so I assume that they're doing a phased release like with v3.31.

Edit: so I was looking around on the Play store and I've found that another app called Field Trip has been published by NianticLabs@Google. I reckon Google started Ingress as a way to seed this Field Trip app prior to releasing it.

FieldTrip is a lot like Ingress. It will also alert you to portals in your area, which is kind of cool.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fieldtrip is like Ingress except for people who want to visit the landmarks. Ingress is like Fieldtrip for people who want to stand near a sculpture and stare at their phone screen while walking in circles.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Ingress: Forcing your socially awkward significant other outdoors.

Enshoku
Jun 1, 2013
Niantics accept/ decline system for portals seems to be the least objective thing ever. Some jade benches in bumfuck nowhere is worthy of a portal but the actual bike trail leading to bumfuck nowhere isnt? Its one of the longest trails in my state, and nearly spans the entire county its named after :psyduck:

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

Enshoku posted:

Niantics accept/ decline system for portals seems to be the least objective thing ever. Some jade benches in bumfuck nowhere is worthy of a portal but the actual bike trail leading to bumfuck nowhere isnt? Its one of the longest trails in my state, and nearly spans the entire county its named after :psyduck:

They've rejected a TON of my submissions, saying that they're too close to other portals. There aren't any portals within half a mile, and they claim that they're worried about safety. They are 4 memorial benches in the middle of a drat park, what the gently caress.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

godzirraRAWR posted:

They've rejected a TON of my submissions, saying that they're too close to other portals. There aren't any portals within half a mile, and they claim that they're worried about safety. They are 4 memorial benches in the middle of a drat park, what the gently caress.

Outside is very dangerous, didn't you know? :colbert:

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
They're adding a new weapon that can only be used on the new Droid Ultra, Maxx and Mini. No thank you google. Please add something to do at level 8 before trying to make me buy a new phone.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tremors posted:

They're adding a new weapon that can only be used on the new Droid Ultra, Maxx and Mini. No thank you google. Please add something to do at level 8 before trying to make me buy a new phone.

That's....serious pay to win, if true. This is shopped, right?

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

That's....serious pay to win, if true. This is shopped, right?

It's in the latest ingress report.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I guess it's a sign that Niantic doesn't really care what happens to Ingress. That's not to say they won't support it anymore, but when you start pulling out blatant stuff like that you either don't care about audience reaction or you expect the audience not to react.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They just threw away any ability to ever punish 3rd party apps. Everyone who does not own those phones is going to go 3rd party to an app that supports using the new item.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Eh, I couldn't care less. I really really doubt the exclusivity will last. Judging from Badger's comments it does high damage low radius. If you're playing in a portal rich enviornment (e.g. a city) that doesn't make it holy poo poo I need this now! I'd rather just blast a farm with standard L8 bursters. It's not like this new item is going to help you if the enemy portal has an L8 reso buried in the building.

Edit: And let's add in the fact that portal defenses are insanely good now. If you need to stand on the reso for that new thing to be most effective you're going to get the poo poo fried out of you. You'll still need to fall back on old tactics like stripping mods off at 75 meters with mid level bursters and at that point the portal will be half dead anyway and 2-3 L8's will finish it.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 1, 2013

Baofu
Jun 15, 2007

I just signed up with Blue because that was the dominant color in my area.

Did I just join the fuckwit team? :negative:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Baofu posted:

I just signed up with Blue because that was the dominant color in my area.

Did I just join the fuckwit team? :negative:

Yes I'm Enlightened.

Also, joining the dominant team will probably make things pretty boring for you.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Red Robin Hood posted:

Also, joining the dominant team will probably make things pretty boring for you.

Fortunately, you can request faction change with NIA Super Ops.

In re the Ultra Strike, I can see them being an exclusive item until the next Scanner update.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
The most recent update has rendered my Droid X almost completely useless, the game is nearly unplayable. Portals take a very long time to load (I waited 60+ seconds next to one that didn't show up until I was 200m away) and I get a lot of lag and failures simply attempting to recharge a portal that I'm standing next to. Unless this is just a rough spot today, I probably can't play the game much anymore.

Oh, exclusive items for new Droid phones? Makes sense.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope they do the opposite and make a nuclear XMP bomb. Something that does very little damage but you could "plan an attack" by saving up a ton of them and powercubes to fire off 100 in a row. If the range was large enough you could have everyone in town use 3 at the exact same time for the same effect.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

DrPlump posted:

They just threw away any ability to ever punish 3rd party apps. Everyone who does not own those phones is going to go 3rd party to an app that supports using the new item.
The only difference between this and other new items is that you have to have a different phone to get it in the first few weeks (or edit your build.prop file to make Ingress think you have a new phone :ninja:) instead of using codes.

Zodijackylite posted:

The most recent update has rendered my Droid X almost completely useless, the game is nearly unplayable. Portals take a very long time to load (I waited 60+ seconds next to one that didn't show up until I was 200m away) and I get a lot of lag and failures simply attempting to recharge a portal that I'm standing next to. Unless this is just a rough spot today, I probably can't play the game much anymore.

Oh, exclusive items for new Droid phones? Makes sense.
I have a Razr Maxx and I've been having the same problem, probably with the same portals as you (took the better part of a minute for the nearby portal box for Cascades to show up, then another 30s to load the portal itself.) It's also a huge pain when I'm playing on the train and portals don't load until I'm out of the station and out of range. It's mostly in areas with spotty coverage.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I really wish I played Ingress anywhere but where I do.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
We've had the local resistance apparently figuring out how to create ghost fields and of course they instantly applied it everywhere they could. Just so you know, if you have multiple people creating the same link at the same time (roughly) only the first field/link will collapse, the others stay and keep up a zombie field.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FrickenMoron posted:

We've had the local resistance apparently figuring out how to create ghost fields and of course they instantly applied it everywhere they could. Just so you know, if you have multiple people creating the same link at the same time (roughly) only the first field/link will collapse, the others stay and keep up a zombie field.

Does that have any actual application?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
You do realize you are all terrorists?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Does that have any actual application?

You can't create any links under the influence of a field. If it stays around as a ghost field you basically can denly a whole area.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FrickenMoron posted:

You can't create any links under the influence of a field. If it stays around as a ghost field you basically can denly a whole area.

That's bullshit.

I'll get my faction right on it.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Our local Resistence ghost fields with glee and then has the gall to complain about one person our team spoofing. I know they are aware of this thread so gently caress you you cheating fucks.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I trust you all to know not to create them but it seems they get created when two or more people create a link or field at the same time. My group of players used to do this so we could maximize the amount of AP we got but quickly found out it greats ghost links and fields.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

There's a new scanner version being pushed out, here are the release notes:

Ingress Scanner v1.33.0 posted:

+ Improved Resonator/Mod/XMP selection (remembers last choice).
+ Click through to Scanner after viewing Hack results.
+ Hack via long-press on an in range Portal in the Scanner view.
+ Ability to view Mods installed on enemy controlled Portals.

Being able to view mods on enemy portals will definitely add a strategic element to things. Also hack via long press is great as the most slow-downs I experience is when zooming into a portal. Sometimes I catch the bus home from work which goes through the centre of the CBD which is very dense and trying to hack all the portals from a moving vehicle can get frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I dunno, between the Ultra Strike garbage and someone coming out of his house to literally defend what he thought was his portal, I haven't had much desire to keep playing this. Shame, too, it's a great idea and for every weirdo I've also met some rad people.

• Locked thread