Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

What do you mean you're out of butter?
Similar to the question above: there shouldn't be any problem registering a US-bought Nexus in Germany, correct?

And, on a related note: I'm interested in picking up a tablet to bring with me for academic conferences. Ideally, I'd like to have a device to plug into a VGA/HDMI projector to display my slides, to read pdf's, take some minor notes, and generally tool around on the internet. Price isn't really an issue, though I'd prefer not to pay out an inordinate amount. Obviously, any recommendations would be most appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
My girlfriend just got a Nexus 10 a few days ago and just updated to Android 4.3. Shes complaining that the tablet lags and her movie app won't work. Are these known issues? Is there a patch coming soon? Can she rollback to 4.2.2?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Nothing local has the 32GB tablet in stock. The 16GB is available at the local BBY, but if I want 32GB I need to go online. Only $40 difference is really nice and while I don't know if I need that extra 16GB, it's better to have it and not need it than to not have it and need it, right?

Right?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Are you gonna load music or movies on it? If not the 16gb is probably fine.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Taerkar posted:

Nothing local has the 32GB tablet in stock. The 16GB is available at the local BBY, but if I want 32GB I need to go online. Only $40 difference is really nice and while I don't know if I need that extra 16GB, it's better to have it and not need it than to not have it and need it, right?

Right?

I'd hold out. It is a good price for that amount of memory, and data expands to fill the amount of space alloted to it. 32 gigs is enough that you might actually end up keeping a few movies local, and it isn't unheard of for a higher-end game title to want 2-4 gigs either. Ditto photography, a gig or six of pictures isn't all that many pictures at full resolution.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Right now on my phone I've got about 10GB worth of apps and music on it and the #1 reason why I don't have more is because I tend to stream music to it while I'm driving. This will be a replacement for an old netbook that I had that died earlier in the year, so I'll be using it for music/PDFs/video/browsing. I could easily be dropping 6GB or so worth of PDFs on it as well so that does lend me more to the 32GB.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah just hold out for the 32. It's a pretty small amount more for doubling the storage space. You'll probably want to keep it for a good two years unless next year's model has some amazing new tech, so might as well have room to grow.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Do we have a minimal case recommendation for the new N7 yet? Or a recommended Qi charger for my nightstand so I don't have to plug this thing in?

I picked one up to try the smaller form factor from a Transformer Prime and I'm really impressed. The TPrime will probably end up in SAMart this weekend. Now that I don't travel anymore the expandable storage and HDMI out doesn't matter anymore. I like the "paperback" feel of the nexus.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

FunOne posted:

I like the "paperback" feel of the nexus.

I goddamn love that it fits in the inside pocket of a sportcoat (or the cargo pockets of jorts, if you prefer).

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

FunOne posted:

Or a recommended Qi charger for my nightstand so I don't have to plug this thing in?

Verizon Wireless stores sell a $40 LG charger that is 1.8A, most are 1.0A. It is a little small which isn't a problem because the coil is dead center in the tablet.

Slo-Tek posted:

I goddamn love that it fits in the inside pocket of a sportcoat (or the cargo pockets of jorts, if you prefer).

Fits in the back pocket of a pair of Levi's with plenty if room to spare, too.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FormatAmerica posted:

Verizon Wireless stores sell a $40 LG charger that is 1.8A, most are 1.0A. It is a little small which isn't a problem because the coil is dead center in the tablet.

Wikipedia says that the standard 0.5A charger will charge at distances of up to 1.6", is that at all realistic? I'd love to buy one of these and mount it under my desk at work (which is probably 3/4-1" thick), with a piece of scotch tape marking the center of the charger under the table.

Even if it only charged at half (or maybe even a quarter) the rate through a tabletop, that would allow me to keep it topped off throughout the day without an extra cable flopping around my desk.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone here play Frozen Synapse or Spacechem on their tablets? How do they look on a Nexus 7? Are they playable or is the screen just too small for those types of games?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Revitalized posted:

Does anyone here play Frozen Synapse or Spacechem on their tablets? How do they look on a Nexus 7? Are they playable or is the screen just too small for those types of games?

Cramped but playable, though the added resolution of the new Nexus 7 really helps compared to the original.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Got my nexus 10 today and I am loving it so far. First of what i assume will be many questions:

I want to tether it to my nexus 4 for internet access when I'm not at home. Am I better off doing it via hotspot or Bluetooth? Pros and cons of each? Do I need any apps or anything or is it all as easy as it seems on the surface?

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

Wikipedia says that the standard 0.5A charger will charge at distances of up to 1.6", is that at all realistic? I'd love to buy one of these and mount it under my desk at work (which is probably 3/4-1" thick), with a piece of scotch tape marking the center of the charger under the table.

No, I don't think that will work well. I can't even charge through a padded sleeve much less an inch or more of material.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Amazon now shows the Nexus 7 32GB as being 2-3 weeks for delivery, unless you buy it from one of the 'Also available from' guys, of course.

OfficeMax now has it available for online orders only, 1-3 days.
Staples has it now as an in-store only item, but check to make sure it's available in your local stores first.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 2, 2013

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
So I did the OTA updated to 4.3 for my nexus 7(2012) on Tuesday and it was working great but came home today and it won't turn on.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Calidus posted:

So I did the OTA updated to 4.3 for my nexus 7(2012) on Tuesday and it was working great but came home today and it won't turn on.
You ran it out of battery. Just leave it plugged in for 10+ hours and it should be fine.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

You ran it out of battery. Just leave it plugged in for 10+ hours and it should be fine.

What do you know my charger died :/ I plugged it into my pc and it started charging like normal. Time to find a new charger I guess.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

FunOne posted:

Do we have a minimal case recommendation for the new N7 yet? Or a recommended Qi charger for my nightstand so I don't have to plug this thing in?

I picked one up to try the smaller form factor from a Transformer Prime and I'm really impressed. The TPrime will probably end up in SAMart this weekend. Now that I don't travel anymore the expandable storage and HDMI out doesn't matter anymore. I like the "paperback" feel of the nexus.

Perfect timing
$29 Samsung Qi Charger

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I just opened up my new Nexus 7, and booted it up only to find some weird blue streaks on the screen. I tried to take a picture of it, but it wasn't the easiest thing to do (below the X, those blue lines are a lot brighter in person). Should I go through Office Max instead of Google for a replacement?

Edit: Nevermind, just walked into one of the stores and they handed me a new one. I wasn't sure if they would since I ordered it online.

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 3, 2013

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FormatAmerica posted:

No, I don't think that will work well. I can't even charge through a padded sleeve much less an inch or more of material.

Does your sleeve have any metallic elements to it, or is it just foam and fabric?

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
Deal expired, but Samsung makes you supply your own 2A charger.

Verizon sells a LG charging mat with all the parts for 40 bucks. You don't have to be Verizon subscriber and you can get it shipped for free if the store is out.

My Nexus 7 is sitting on the LG right now. The tablet balances right on the center. The mat's light glows green when it's charging, but you can't really see it when the Nexus is laying on it. The back gets hot as it charges. Works well so far, but I've only had it for 5 hours.

Allaniis fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 3, 2013

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Allaniis posted:

Deal expired, but Samsung makes you supply your own 2A charger.

Verizon sells a LG charging mat with all the parts for 40 bucks. You don't have to be Verizon subscriber and you can get it shipped for free if the store is out.

My Nexus 7 is sitting on the LG right now. The tablet balances right on the center. The mat's light glows green when it's charging, but you can't really see it when the Nexus is laying on it. The back gets hot as it charges. Works well so far, but I've only had it for 5 hours.

With my work discount the lg puck at the Verizon store is $25.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

Does your sleeve have any metallic elements to it, or is it just foam and fabric?

Just foam and fabric as far as I know.

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/kindle-fire-cush-sleeve

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I can confirm that Office Max has the new 7s. I actually set one up using a store's free WiFi and it looks really drat nice.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Finally got my N7 on 4.3. It gave me the prompt "Error" when I tried to do the OTA update, so I had to this:
http://anddisa.blogspot.de/2013/07/update-nexus-7-to-android-43-manually.html

Just posting in case anyone has the same issue and doesn't want to poke around XDA-Dev for an hour looking for the answer.

The first time I did it something went very wrong and I had to revert to my nandroid backup, but it appears to be working now. On the plus side, I finally learned how to do all the ADB and Fastboot poo poo I'd been ignoring for the last year.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
If anybody was interested in the battery life for the new Nexus 7 here's some stats:

I probably could have squeezed some more life out of it if I haven't been playing over an hour of Real Boxing.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 3, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah if I'm not gaming I seem to be on track for hitting right around the 8-10 hours of screen on time that they claim. Really happy with the device as a whole and the battery life so far, it'll take some real effort to drain the battery under normal circumstances.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Picked up the new Nexus 7 today from Office Max. I think I got the last 32gb model in a 30 mile radius. Impressions are great so far, I just think they made a mistake with the smaller bezels on the left and right side. With the old one, it was possible to hold it one handed on one side of the tablet because there was room for your thumb. Now, you basically have to palm it to use one handed.

I'm sure I'll get used to it, I just would have preferred the larger bezel.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I just wish the buttons were slightly more pronounced. Using the volume keys to turn pages while reading can be hard, as they aren't very easy to press while holding it one handed.
The small bezels dont hurt anything, for me.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013

1st AD posted:

If anybody was interested in the battery life for the new Nexus 7 here's some stats:

I probably could have squeezed some more life out of it if I haven't been playing over an hour of Real Boxing.

6 hours of screen-on time with that screen? Is that just because they can fit a bigger battery in it or is this some new amazing kind of battery so I can expect future phones to also do much better than the 2-3 hours of screen-on time I get with my galaxy nexus?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The battery on the N7 is more than double the capacity of the stock GNex battery.

I believe the Note 2 and RAZR Maxx phones have similar longevity because of the battery.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah I can get 4-6 hours of screen on with a Galaxy S3 depending on what I'm doing with the screen (quite a bit less if it's gaming), the Galaxy Nexus and it's era have significantly worse batteries than the era(s) after it, especially if it's the GSMCDMA version.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 5, 2013

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
There battery in the new N7 is smaller than the battery in the older one. With just reading I get close to 10 hours of screen on time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Safe and Secure! posted:

6 hours of screen-on time with that screen? Is that just because they can fit a bigger battery in it or is this some new amazing kind of battery so I can expect future phones to also do much better than the 2-3 hours of screen-on time I get with my galaxy nexus?

If your tablet can't do six hours of screen-on time, there's something wrong with it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Nondescript Van posted:

There battery in the new N7 is smaller than the battery in the older one. With just reading I get close to 10 hours of screen on time.
The brightness setting makes a big difference. The new Nexus 7 can get brighter than just about any tablet, but that also lets it use a lot more power.

The good news is you can turn the brightness down to 40% and it will be as bright as the old Nexus 7 was at 75% unless Android's brightness scale isn't linear. AnandTech does their battery tests with the screens at 200 nits so it'll be nice to see what their tests say.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The brightness setting makes a big difference. The new Nexus 7 can get brighter than just about any tablet, but that also lets it use a lot more power.

The good news is you can turn the brightness down to 40% and it will be as bright as the old Nexus 7 was at 75% unless Android's brightness scale isn't linear. AnandTech does their battery tests with the screens at 200 nits so it'll be nice to see what their tests say.

Wow, considering my 2012 N7 is typically at less than 10% brightness when in auto mode I can't imagine having almost double the brightness ability. It could certainly be nice when using it outdoors, but I've taken mine on several hikes and had no issue reading the topo maps.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The old Nexus 7 had a 4325 mAh battery in it while the new one has a 3950 mAh. Despite that, it should get similar battery life or better than the old one. The capacity is smaller due to it being lighter, thinner, and fitting the wireless charging in it.

Now, to blow your mind, the new Droid MAXX has a 3500 mAh battery in it. That's just 450 mAh less than the Nexus 7 with a much smaller screen. I can already get 8 1/2 hours screen on time (on wifi) with my MAXX HD with the 3300 mAh battery, that phone may do 10.

It's amazing how much lighter the new Nexus 7 seems over the old one. It's only 50g, but you can really feel it. It also feels a ton more premium than the old model, very solidly put together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

bull3964 posted:

The old Nexus 7 had a 4325 mAh battery in it while the new one has a 3950 mAh. Despite that, it should get similar battery life or better than the old one. The capacity is smaller due to it being lighter, thinner, and fitting the wireless charging in it.

Now, to blow your mind, the new Droid MAXX has a 3500 mAh battery in it. That's just 450 mAh less than the Nexus 7 with a much smaller screen. I can already get 8 1/2 hours screen on time (on wifi) with my MAXX HD with the 3300 mAh battery, that phone may do 10.

It's amazing how much lighter the new Nexus 7 seems over the old one. It's only 50g, but you can really feel it. It also feels a ton more premium than the old model, very solidly put together.

Yeah, the new Nexus 7 feels about as premium as you can get without using metal, and in some respects I prefer soft touch anyway. The only complaint I have with the tablet is that the power button on mine is a little stiff, but outside of that it's pretty much perfect. No screen defects or issues, the calibration seems right on, no dead pixels or dust under the screen (I've seen complaints about both on XDA, though it's not like every LCD out there doesn't have a chance of shipping with dead pixels), nothing. Easily the best Android tablet on the market as far as I can tell, unless you need a larger screen.