Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

wattershed posted:

Two very useful responses, thank you so much.

I'm not on unlimited and we use far more data than voice (and, compared to many, we don't use that much data) but it'll be nice to do some basic travel browsing when needed. I was expecting much higher rates, honestly, so that's cool.

Also I forgot to link this for anyone else planning trips. It will give you rates and suchlike:

http://verizonwireless.com/tripplanner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Verizon does not sell service in at my billing address, but they have a roaming partner that they do 3G and 4G with. In fact, a VZW phone in my area doesn't show that it is roaming at all.

Anyways, I end up traveling most of the time and I want to get a Verizon account since they have better phones than the local roaming partner.

Does anyone have experience with signing up for Verizon service when they didn't have a billing address in side the Verizon service area? Can I just go to the nearest city that has VZW and sign up there using my address, or would I have to get a P.O. Box or something in that area?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Lowen SoDium posted:

Verizon does not sell service in at my billing address, but they have a roaming partner that they do 3G and 4G with. In fact, a VZW phone in my area doesn't show that it is roaming at all.

Anyways, I end up traveling most of the time and I want to get a Verizon account since they have better phones than the local roaming partner.

Does anyone have experience with signing up for Verizon service when they didn't have a billing address in side the Verizon service area? Can I just go to the nearest city that has VZW and sign up there using my address, or would I have to get a P.O. Box or something in that area?

Pretty sure they check if you actually have service at your home address before they sign you up for it.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Lowen SoDium posted:

You'll need to get a p.o. box. Or use someone else's address and just sign up for paperless billing so they don't get your stuff mailed to them.

Sorry dude :(

You may be able to get around this by calling telesales and getting them to set a PPU (Primary Place of Use) address that is different than you billing address, but I don't know if that will work for sure.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

SeaborneClink posted:

You'll need to get a p.o. box. Or use someone else's address and just sign up for paperless billing so they don't get your stuff mailed to them.

Sorry dude :(

You may be able to get around this by calling telesales and getting them to set a PPU (Primary Place of Use) address that is different than you billing address, but I don't know if that will work for sure.

Do Verizon reps not have an over ride button like Att and sprint?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

EbolaIvory posted:

I'm NR. :suicide: I have no idea :toot:

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

EbolaIvory posted:

For entering addresses? Yes. The system tries to match the post office database but will allow free entry. Billing addresses can even be changed to outside the US.

I don't know the exact rules for starting service since that's one thing my department can't do but giving a fake one or P.O. box should work.

Also billing addresses can't (or rather aren't supposed to be) changed withing the first 30 days of new activation.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Problem with sticking in fake addresses or alternate ones is that sometimes it trips the credit check process up. If they see something doesent match up, they'll make you phone it in as a manual credit check and it gets pretty dicey at that point.

I've had customers credit checks fail because of this before.

a glorious hole
Nov 21, 2012

I have a grandfathered Unlimited Data line, and I'm looking to get a new iPhone now since mine got lost, and also one in a couple months when the new one comes out. I plan on adding a second line to my plan, and hopefully dropping it to a dumbphone after to be cheaper.

I know I'm gonna lose my Unlimited when I get the second phone regardless, and I'm not really against that since I've never gone over 2gb usage.

So my question for the Verizon guys is what's the best way to go about it?

-Use my current upgrade on the Unlimited plan and jump to Share Everything, then add a second line when the new phone is out, followed by swapping that second line to a dumbphone.
-Add a second line now to get the iPhone 5, swap that phone to the primary line, then put a dumbphone on the second line.

Can I even add a line with a smartphone then swap the phone over, and change the line to a dumbphone without getting hit with an ETF or something?

a glorious hole fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 1, 2013

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

a glorious hole posted:

-Add a second line now to get the iPhone 5, swap that phone to the primary line, then put a dumbphone on the second line.

Can I even add a line with a smartphone then swap the phone over, and change the line to a dumbphone without getting hit with an ETF or something?
This would allow you to keep your unlimited when you alt. upgrade later.

a glorious hole
Nov 21, 2012

I'm not sure what an alt. upgrade is. Does that mean that when the 5s or whatever comes out I could use the primary line's upgrade on the secondary line to get it, then just swap the phone to my primary line again?

I always figured using an upgrade like that would force me off Unlimited anyways.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Verizon still thinks this poo poo is a good deal?

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/1/45...ource=pulsenews

$80 for 500mb data if you have a smartphone.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Don Lapre posted:

Well it was $80 for unl talk/text + 300mb before. They just upped the data to 500mb.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

SeaborneClink posted:

Well it was $80 for unl talk/text + 300mb before. They just upped the data to 500mb.
And now you can have more than 1 smartphone or data device on it. Not that doing so is a good idea but you can do it now!

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
As far as I'm aware you could always have more than one on there.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

FordPRefectLL posted:

As far as I'm aware you could always have more than one on there.

Incorrect. The plan was $70 for a basic phone and +$10 for a smart phone. It's not a share plan and was for single lines only. Now granted you could have 2x of those plans on the same account if you were like super bad at math or something I guess ((40*2)+50) < ( (70+10)*2) :shrug:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Well, in eROES it was classified as a share plan and I was repeatedly able to activate it as one without charging anyone extra so :iiam:

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Don Lapre posted:

They seriously try to get us to sell a Mobile Hotspot (I refuse to call them jetpacks) as a worthy replacement for landline based internet. They have no real concept of how much data is used for anything.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Mighty Horse posted:

They seriously try to get us to sell a Mobile Hotspot (I refuse to call them jetpacks) as a worthy replacement for landline based internet. They have no real concept of how much data is used for anything.

For some people its actually not a bad deal. My wifes parents can get Dialup, or satellite. But now they have LTE service which is better than both.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
The recently announced Droids and the Moto X are basically the same phone, right? I know the underlying hardware is the same (Motorola X8, the camera), but are the Droids running the same near-stock AOSP as well? I was a bit underwhelmed by the Moto X "announcement" (or lack thereof) yesterday, and phone customization isn't a big deal for me, so I'm thinking of getting the new Droid Ultra when it comes out in a couple of weeks.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

Karthe posted:

The recently announced Droids and the Moto X are basically the same phone, right? I know the underlying hardware is the same (Motorola X8, the camera), but are the Droids running the same near-stock AOSP as well? I was a bit underwhelmed by the Moto X "announcement" (or lack thereof) yesterday, and phone customization isn't a big deal for me, so I'm thinking of getting the new Droid Ultra when it comes out in a couple of weeks.

Why not the Maxx? 2x the storage and 3500 mAh battery. Yum!

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

cuedotcom posted:

Why not the Maxx? 2x the storage and 3500 mAh battery. Yum!

I'm really looking hard at the Maxx. I liked my Razr but it's at the point now where it goes from 100% battery to 50% in an absurdly short period of time if I'm using it for anything. Off 4G it does fine and lasts forever but I have to very careful when going out to not play too much. This is even with it rooted running a custom rom :(

I really, really regret not waiting for the Maxx version to come out before. I kind of wish the screen was better on the new Maxx but I doubt it's as big a deal as people make it out to be..

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Karthe posted:

Probably can expect your usual fare of Verizon bloatware, but the launcher does appear to be the same near-AOSP launcher. No idea what's actually happening under the hood.

I kinda want the Maxx in place of my Note 2. Better battery, probably better camera.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

These are the preinstalled applicaitons on the VZW X

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Verizon still tries to sell ringtones in TYOOL 2013? On a smartphone platform?

Turnquiet fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 2, 2013

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Turnquiet posted:

Verizon still tries to sell ringtones in TYOL 2013? On a smartphone platform?

They try to sell VZ navigator when google maps is free.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Don Lapre posted:

They try to sell VZ navigator when google maps is free.

Well how the gently caress am I supposed to find my nearest Verizon Authorized Retailer location without it?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Is VZ Navigator trash? I've never used it. I remember it being on like, my old Voyager, but I didn't need GPS then and now have no reason to use anything that isn't Apple Maps/Google Maps.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

JP Money posted:

I'm really looking hard at the Maxx. I liked my Razr but it's at the point now where it goes from 100% battery to 50% in an absurdly short period of time if I'm using it for anything. Off 4G it does fine and lasts forever but I have to very careful when going out to not play too much. This is even with it rooted running a custom rom :(

I really, really regret not waiting for the Maxx version to come out before. I kind of wish the screen was better on the new Maxx but I doubt it's as big a deal as people make it out to be..

If I were you, I'd take the Maxx in a heartbeat.

I love my HD Maxx, but I feel like it's beginning to show its age. It has a 4.7" screen, the new Maxx is 5.0" -- I doubt you will think it is so unwieldy if you up from a Razr.

That being said, I really have no want to buy the new Maxx or the MotoX, not to say that either isn't a solid phone. For me there's no "wow" factor. I feel that both of them are...underwhelming considering the way smartphone cameras, and screens (resolution and size)are trending. The battery life in the new Maxx, I'm sure, will be just as fantastic as the Maxx and Maxx HD have been (stupid talk time duration/full blast 4G burn for 8-12 hours). There just doesn't seem to be a phone that screams, "burn your money here", accept for the Ubuntu Edge, but that's a year away at least. Ho-hum, Maybe next years Maxx will have a super snappy camera and a 1080p display + that super fancy battery.

On the bright side, I guess I'm ok with not dropping $650+ cash on a phone.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

cuedotcom posted:

If I were you, I'd take the Maxx in a heartbeat.

I love my HD Maxx, but I feel like it's beginning to show its age. It has a 4.7" screen, the new Maxx is 5.0" -- I doubt you will think it is so unwieldy if you up from a Razr.

That being said, I really have no want to buy the new Maxx or the MotoX, not to say that either isn't a solid phone. For me there's no "wow" factor. I feel that both of them are...underwhelming considering the way smartphone cameras, and screens (resolution and size)are trending. The battery life in the new Maxx, I'm sure, will be just as fantastic as the Maxx and Maxx HD have been (stupid talk time duration/full blast 4G burn for 8-12 hours). There just doesn't seem to be a phone that screams, "burn your money here", accept for the Ubuntu Edge, but that's a year away at least. Ho-hum, Maybe next years Maxx will have a super snappy camera and a 1080p display + that super fancy battery.

On the bright side, I guess I'm ok with not dropping $650+ cash on a phone.

You make so many valid points here. I kind of feel like I get hosed every single update. Last time, I waited extra time after my 2 year renewal for the Razr and then shortly after the Maxx came out and completely solved the battery issues which is absolutely my biggest complaint. It's getting to the point where phones are plenty fast and they just need a significant bump in battery life. I don't game or do anything crazy on my phone so I just want a stable and non-bloated phone that lasts me all day. I know there are plenty of good options out there but I tend to prefer buying things on release and not 3 or 4 months into their lifetime. Maybe I'm just crazy.

This time I was pretty interested in the MotoX but now that it's definitely been announced I can't help but feel that it doesn't offer much. If it was really cheap off contract I probably would have picked it up but as it stands it's not really worth it imo. If it was kind of a stripped-down model with interesting features and a giant rear end battery that lasted 3 days for cheap off contract I would've been first in line but that's a lot to ask of any of the current phone companies I suppose.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I'm considering the MotoX as an upgrade for my galaxy nexus. But no matter what I get I'll be waiting awhile since I'll be paying off contract prices to keep my unlimited. So that makes it a thing where by the time I can get one cheap enough, I'll probably be too excited about the next thing to upgrade. :(

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

King Burgundy posted:

I'm considering the MotoX as an upgrade for my galaxy nexus. But no matter what I get I'll be waiting awhile since I'll be paying off contract prices to keep my unlimited. So that makes it a thing where by the time I can get one cheap enough, I'll probably be too excited about the next thing to upgrade. :(

The off contract price of the motoX vs the maxx will most likely be within $100 of each other...a bit more in the pocket for an obscene battery is just a better bargain. Not to mention, the way this fall is shaping up, the Nexus 5 is probably just around the corner. Buy the motoX --surprise-- new nexus. So stupid. Unless you know you're buying the Maxx outright or upgrading, or battery life isn't a thing (really?) I personally would wait until at least the iPhone5(S) is announced. All the fancy hold outs will rain down with vengeance henceforth.

It doesn't matter if the phone makes coffee and gives you a hummer under your desk at work, if its dead or within ~20% by lunch. >>My work doesn't afford me the luxury of external electricity. I need power for at least 18 hours<< The Maxx chuggs for easily 36 hours...just my .02

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

cuedotcom posted:

The off contract price of the motoX vs the maxx will most likely be within $100 of each other...a bit more in the pocket for an obscene battery is just a better bargain. Not to mention, the way this fall is shaping up, the Nexus 5 is probably just around the corner. Buy the motoX --surprise-- new nexus. So stupid. Unless you know you're buying the Maxx outright or upgrading, or battery life isn't a thing (really?) I personally would wait until at least the iPhone5(S) is announced. All the fancy hold outs will rain down with vengeance henceforth.

It doesn't matter if the phone makes coffee and gives you a hummer under your desk at work, if its dead or within ~20% by lunch. >>My work doesn't afford me the luxury of external electricity. I need power for at least 18 hours<< The Maxx chuggs for easily 36 hours...just my .02

Yeah, sorry, I thought it was implied by my post, but I won't be buying one of those new phones off contract till I can find a good deal on one. No way am I paying 600 dollars for a phone. So yeah, not any time soon. =) But I'll take into account your advice on the Maxx when that time comes. Battery is certainly my biggest complaint with the Nexus. It is the main reason I'm even thinking about my next phone already.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Verizon-getting-a-new-4G-LTE-Router-expected-next-week_id46032

quote:

Pricing is $20/month for customers with a Verizon Share Everything plan.

As a Verizon salesperson:

:negative:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The actual slide deck they showed says legacy customers can get it on the old mobile broadband pricing, and it's just that it falls under the same class of devices that get $20/month line access charge like a hotspot or aircard. So apparently it's not like you can't get this unless you swap to a share everything plan.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

It's not that. I just know we're going to be told to sell it as a replacement for home internet like we are with the mobile broadband devices. Which is a huge problem, because it isn't very good for that and makes our lives harder.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

FordPRefectLL posted:

It's not that. I just know we're going to be told to sell it as a replacement for home internet like we are with the mobile broadband devices. Which is a huge problem, because it isn't very good for that and makes our lives harder.

Ah, I figured this was a product they'd position for vacation homes, RVs, or the like. But then again I remember what they were trying to do post-Sandy in some places and I realize that you're right.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-07-08/verizon-wants-to-eliminate-landlines-on-fire-island-dot-whos-next

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

FordPRefectLL posted:

Yeah but at least home fusion is a 50gb cap, not like the stupid hotspots.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I have an iPhone. I have AT&T but am traveling more and would like to switch to Verizon for better coverage. Through work, I get about the same discount for both. Still not sure it makes financial sense though.

I pay ~$75/mo. Absolute minimum options with ATT. That means like 450 minutes, 300 MBs of internet, and 1500 texts (ugh). It works fine for me.

What is the rough Verizon equivalent to the above? Last time I checked, I think it came out a decent bit more expensive on Verizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

SeaborneClink posted:

Yeah but at least home fusion is a 50gb cap, not like the stupid hotspots.
Discounting the bandwidth cap and cost, does home fusion work well?

• Locked thread