Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Largest image I could find:

I don't recognize the medals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I completely love the Max story and vibe, it's shaped a lot of my views on other media.

In the Mad Max game thread I openly stated I thought the origin of the series was American, because I read an American adaption first.

I humbly apologize to my fellow Australians. Mad Max loving rules.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Blind Sally posted:

I don't recognize the medals.

They're Commonwealth service medals from World War 2.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Goose would have totally burn-scarred arms and at the very least his right arm would be covered in scars so Humongous couldn't be him. Fifi, however, would be a much better possibility.

Doesn't Fifi say "So the Goose bought it..."? Wouldn't that mean he died?

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

El Negocio posted:

They're Commonwealth service medals from World War 2.

Well I guess that blows my idea out of the water. For some reason I had it in my mind that there was an SS deaths head there somewhere. Oh well! The more you know.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Midget Fist posted:

Well I guess that blows my idea out of the water. For some reason I had it in my mind that there was an SS deaths head there somewhere. Oh well! The more you know.

There is a Death's head in the box:

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Cool, guess I wasn't imagining it then.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ho Chi Mint posted:

There is a Death's head in the box:

It's not exactly a Totenkopf skull. As you can see in your sample, the Totenkopf skull is turned 3/4 away from the viewer. Also, the one in the box does not have a jaw. It might be another ANZAC medal.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
I've been doing a bit of looking. From what I can find out there were a variety of Totenkopf badges used, some with jaws and some without. Maybe the box belonged to an ANZAC soldier who brought back a Totenkopf as a souvenir?

Heer (German army) skull:

Here is a pretty good breakdown of what was in the gun case.

http://www.madmaxmovies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9167&start=10

Armyman25 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 30, 2013

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

El Negocio posted:

Grant Page, the stuntman who gets clocked in the head in that clip, is indestructible. He's only ever broken one bone, his leg, while commuting to the Mad Max 1 set (his motorbike got hit by a truck). Which meant that he had to this stunt while driving with a leg in plaster.

There's a pretty impressive movie about him called Stunt Rock. It's basically a compilation of him doing ridiculous stunts set to the music of a seventies metal band called Sorcery that has a stage show with dueling wizards shooting fireballs at each other. Behold:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMNgNZlFtPw

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Anyone going to Comic-Con? It's rumoured that Warner Bros. are going to have an interactive Road Fury booth there: http://www.gotham-news.com/news/2013/07/05/warner-bros-might-be-secretly-planning-an-interactive-mad-max-fury-road-promotion-fo

So if you go, tell us about it.

More interesting, it seems Top Gear Australia and Ford have been working together to create a new Interceptor. They've come up with a couple of concept cars that look nothing like the Interceptor from the films. Well, they're cars and they're black, so I guess there's that, but they're pretty space age looking. They look kind of cool, just not what I'd expect:

http://www.carscoops.com/2011/03/ford-and-top-gear-australia-revive-mad.html

And there's a bigger gallery of concept images here:

http://raredelights.com/ford-interceptor-concepts-to-star-in-mad-max-4-fury-road/

EDIT: Almost forgot, Top Gear Australia readers get to vote on which concept they like best and it will be turned into a full-scale model later this year.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Anything without a dirty big supercharger sticking out of the bonnet is NOT an Interceptor.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Ha, wasn't really expecting this. If you're at the SDCC around 3pm, they're doing cover signings.

(I believe this is going to be a Mad Max Game tie-in)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
if there is one single car in this this made after 1980, fail.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
You have go to be loving kidding me. I'm not saying the source material is untouchable and you can't diverge and do your own thing... but for real? Those cars?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Maybe that futuristic sci-fi car becomes a steadily more beat up piece of poo poo through the movie?
I mean even Mad Max's interceptor would have been shiny and new pre-apocalypse.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Rocksicles posted:

if there is one single car in this this made after 1980, fail.

I have no idea what this means, but I'm pretty sure the aesthetic they're going for is "rusted monstrosities welded together into high octane death machines":

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

These both look like something that drove right out of Brutal Legend, and I love them. All those designs are pretty drat great.

Menator
Dec 9, 2008
Nice, those are appropriately over the top. Is that a wrecking ball on wheels in the background? If so I approve.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

Blind Sally posted:

I have no idea what this means, but I'm pretty sure the aesthetic they're going for is "rusted monstrosities welded together into high octane death machines":

Oh nice, it's the VW from antipodean cult classic The Cars That Ate Paris, all grown up

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
http://collider.com/mad-max-fury-road-reshoots/?_r=true

I assume this can only be a bad thing. Has a film ever gone into reshoots and ended up being OK?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

http://collider.com/mad-max-fury-road-reshoots/?_r=true

I assume this can only be a bad thing. Has a film ever gone into reshoots and ended up being OK?

Reshoots are actually somewhat common, it's just a matter of how publicized they are that leads to the perception that the movie is completely screwed. The Lord of the Rings had eighteen weeks of reshoots between the three movies, none of which came as a major surprise to anyone and went by in fairly orderly fashion.

Also it's probably hard to get Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron on set at the same time these days, which helps to explain the delay.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Reshoots are only a problem if they come as a result of the studio taking away control of the movie from the director.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Found an interesting article on the digital capture techniques used to film Fury Road: http://if.com.au/2013/09/12/article/LSNYIQZNMW.html

This quote in particular stood out to me:

quote:

The original Mad Max is remembered for its gritty look. Fury Road took a different route due to the film’s heavy use of visual effects. “The DI and the post work is so explicit; almost every shot is going to be manipulated in some way,” Seale explains. “Our edict was ‘just shoot it.’ Continuity of light wasn’t really a question. We knew that the film would be cut very quickly, so there wouldn’t be time to analyze every shot. Intercutting between overcast and full sun wasn’t going to be a problem. On this film, the end result controlled the execution.”

It reminded me that George Miller has spent the last several years working with computer generated 3D animation. I am now really interested to see how he meshes his early style with his present one.

Mad Max meets Happy Feet?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Preferably, they wouldn't use any CG at all. Alas, that is not the world we live in.

But if they can make it all look "realistic" and stick to a style that's similar to the other Mad Max movies, then whatever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Great Rumbler posted:

Preferably, they wouldn't use any CG at all. Alas, that is not the world we live in.

But if they can make it all look "realistic" and stick to a style that's similar to the other Mad Max movies, then whatever.

If they "just shoot it" and use CG to touch up obvious cables used to manipulate the vehicles and such for stunts that would be perfectly fine. Dredd 2012 and Elysium I felt both made great use of combining practical makeup and miniatures with CG as an example. Another is the large metal crank contraption on the 18 wheeler that flips over in The Dark Knight. People saw set photos of the truck and were wondering why the Joker had a Mad Max truck but then you don't even see the thing in the movie as it was a CG'd out tool used to flip the actual cab over.

What that paragraph really sounds like though is that there are a lot of continuous shots so they don't have to worry about using CG or other post effects to fix stuff like, say, two characters facing each other both being backed by the sun because they were shot at different times. Or the weather changing from one shot to another because each take was a few hours apart.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 12, 2013

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Some interesting news has popped up.

quote:

Finally, in what could be considered by some as yet more negative news for Fury Road, the Bettina casting agency in Sydney is in the process of recruiting 27 children for Fury Road's additional shoot. They specialize in child casting, or child modelling, and are selecting their children right now. This gives me nasty flashbacks to that exceptionally lovely mid-section of Thunderdome, with all those annoying brats in facepaint. I don't know why Miller would need a school bus full of kids. I'm refraining myself here from speculating a PG-13 deal in return for additional shooting.... nah...

I liked the mid-section of Thunderdome. :(

Also from the article, it sounds like they've found a composer for Fury Road. It was obvious they weren't going to hire either composers for the earlier films (Brian May scored the first two, Maruice Jarre scored Thunderdome), as they have both died. To handle this movie, they've hired Tom Holkenborg aka JunkieXL of JKL. He has previously worked on films such as Domino, The Dark Knight Rises, Inception, The Man Of Steel, and Kingdom Of Heaven. It should be interesting as he's obviously got quite a background in electronic music and synthetic beats. Personally, I'm excited by this development. My tastes in music have changed quite a bit over the years, so I'm looking forward to seeing (hearing) what happens.

http://www.manlymovie.net/2013/10/mad-max-fury-road-gets-musical-composer.html

Another article on JXL scoring Fury Road: http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/29189/junkie-xl-to-score-mad-max-fury-road

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
In other news, Tom Hardy insists that the re-shoots are not actually re-shoots but just additional filming: http://www.totalfilm.com/news/tom-hardy-explains-additional-filming-on-mad-max-fury-road

He's stoked.

Meanwhile, Charlize Theron is pissed that she has to shave her head again. She's contractually obligated, though, so oh well: http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/charlize-theron-upset-over-shaving-2680736

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Looks like they're giving it a 5/15/2015 release date.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/20/5128164/mad-max-fury-road-will-be-in-theaters-on-may-15th-2015

That seems like an exceptionally long turnaround.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That is insane. I can only assume they are doing a massive amount of VFX because I can't imagine how else it would take them so long. Incedentally that's a terrible sign, because Mad Max is not a franchise that should be dependent on CGI rather than practical SFX. I'm actually a big fan of CGI used properly, but wrecking actual cars is the way Mad Max should be.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Snak posted:

That is insane. I can only assume they are doing a massive amount of VFX because I can't imagine how else it would take them so long. Incedentally that's a terrible sign, because Mad Max is not a franchise that should be dependent on CGI rather than practical SFX. I'm actually a big fan of CGI used properly, but wrecking actual cars is the way Mad Max should be.

Even The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, a movie that cost over $200 million, was nearly 3 hours long, and was filled in every scene with some of the most advanced CG wizardry around, only had about 12 months of post-production.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
2015??? What the gently caress?

This is the correct response: https://twitter.com/DrewAtHitFix/status/403357577230032897

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Great Rumbler posted:

Even The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, a movie that cost over $200 million, was nearly 3 hours long, and was filled in every scene with some of the most advanced CG wizardry around, only had about 12 months of post-production.

Oh I know, but it's possible that they didn't want to do a christmas release and hoping to kick off the summer, so even if they only have 11 months of post-production left they could still set a later release date. Also, I assume the LOTR/Hobbit crews have their poo poo down to a science and run post-production like a well-oiled machine. Most studios don't have three movies made by the same director with the same visual style all at once to practice on.

Speaking of VFX in every scene, I'm kind of assuming Fury Road will have this for dust, dirt, and apocalyptic effects like damage buildings, ridiculous sun glare, removing contrails from the sky etc. But nothing on the level of the hobbit.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

2015??? What the gently caress?

This is the correct response: https://twitter.com/DrewAtHitFix/status/403357577230032897

Drew McWeeny posted:

Serious question: is "Mad Max: Fury Road" animated, and is George Miller doing the entire goddamn thing by hand?

:bravo:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Well, until they kaiboshed it, I was tentatively excited to have a Mad Max film based on how nice the Happy Feet movies looked.

That said, that tweet is freakin' hilarious. I, too, am bummed out that this has been pushed back. But it's already been forever, so I dunno.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snak posted:

Didn't they say this was filmed like Dredd wherein it's mostly practical stuff but they have to spend a huge amount of time fixing stuff like lighting continuity, hiding stunt stuff, etc.? The long post production would make sense then. I can still hope.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Neo Rasa posted:

Didn't they say this was filmed like Dredd wherein it's mostly practical stuff but they have to spend a huge amount of time fixing stuff like lighting continuity, hiding stunt stuff, etc.? The long post production would make sense then. I can still hope.

Honestly? I didn't care about the incredibly obvious painted truck front in the first Mad Max and didn't care about the extras standing around while Humungus made his final charge. If stuff like that continues to get through in a new Mad Max movie, I probably won't care. Gimme my movie already, George.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
It could just be a studio/marketing thing like how Cabin in the Woods was supposed to originally come out in February 2010 and basically sat on a shelf, finished and waiting to be released, for two years.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah but 2015 is Ground Zero for remakes, this makes it riskier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Young Freud posted:

I would've liked to have Miller troll Mad Max fans by cutting a trailer that would have shots of Pursuit Special shooting down the road and a voice over "From acclaimed director George Miller, at long last, a reluctant hero returns to the road...", then cut to Babe at the wheel in a black leather jacket.

Also, I'm hoping that the new film has an eyeball gag at some point. He does it twice in Mad Max and in his segment of Twilight Zone: The Movie where Lithgow opens the window shade and gets a close-up of the gremlin on the wing, but never did on in the other films.

This is what I'm talking about...

Eyepopping special effects!

Ya know, up till now I could never quite place it. The front of that truck always looked weird for some reason and now it finally hit me, it's just paint on a sheet of steel.

As for Humungus being Goose, no, he isn't. The idea was scrapped early on but is the reason the gang has police gear. So says the Mad Max wiki

• Locked thread