Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Probably should have done this before I bought the US version 12 months ago.

They should've done it before everyone bought the US version 12+ months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Probably should have done this before I bought the US version 12 months ago.

Yeah I think anyone that wanted DS2 has already imported it by now. (I also bought it like a year ago)

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
So I just bought a 3DS XL. I remember reading something about 3DSs scratching the screens when you close it... is that still the case/is that the case for 3DS XL?

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They should've done it before everyone bought the US version 12+ months ago.

Well I didn't....

because I correctly thought it would get remade like the first game.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Red Robin Hood posted:

So I just bought a 3DS XL. I remember reading something about 3DSs scratching the screens when you close it... is that still the case/is that the case for 3DS XL?

It shouldn't, because of how the bumpers to keep the screens separated when closed are now resting on the border of the bottom screen itself, but to be safe, don't do anything that would put a lot of pressure on the system, like putting it under a pile of games/books or sticking it in your pants pocket if it fits.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I'm so glad they pushed back Rune Factory 4. I don't know the exact reason, but August is already stack with games I want after a 4 month drought of games I don't want. With a game that probably will have a limited physical print run, I'll be able to pick it up later after I purchase the 5 titles I want alone in August.

Red Robin Hood posted:

I've open and closed my XL hundreds of times with no screen protectors and have zero scratches or scuff marks. I don't place any pressure on the system and if I take it somewhere, it's well padded in a pocket of my backpack.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Red Robin Hood posted:

I think awhile ago someone complained about those scratches on his xl but he also put it in his back pocket and sat on it a lot. If you're at least somewhat careful you should be fine. You could always put some sort of rubber bumper on there too.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Ugh, so since yesterday I get a message that Mii Plaza is "unable to write to the extra data for Streetpass Mii Plaza" and I have to quit.

How do I fix this without losing puzzle pieces and such?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Thanks, goons!

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

Awesome! posted:

I think awhile ago someone complained about those scratches on his xl but he also put it in his back pocket and sat on it a lot. If you're at least somewhat careful you should be fine. You could always put some sort of rubber bumper on there too.

That was me and I was lucky in that it just scratched the screen protector I was using. :downs: I now use a bit of padding between the screens if I ever need to pocket it.

But yeah, as long as you don't put any excessive pressure on the two lids you should be fine, and a cloth or padding (I use the styrofoam padding my system came with) between the lids is good enough to prevent any scratches in situations where pressing is inevitable.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
What US cities are people getting a decent amount of Street Passes in?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Badingading posted:

That was me and I was lucky in that it just scratched the screen protector I was using. :downs: I now use a bit of padding between the screens if I ever need to pocket it.

But yeah, as long as you don't put any excessive pressure on the two lids you should be fine, and a cloth or padding (I use the styrofoam padding my system came with) between the lids is good enough to prevent any scratches in situations where pressing is inevitable.

Oh thanks for the tip! I cut out a screen-sized piece of that so I'll just use that. I think I plan on carrying it in my pocket during conventions so that will help, I hope...

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Spacebump posted:

That's an oddly specific question. Are you about to move somewhere and this is what you're basing your decision on? Because if so, that rules.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Pretty much any US city would give you a high chance for Street Pass compared to a rural area. However, places like colleges and universities are the best bet in my opinion. Nerd conventions (comics, etc.) are the absolute best but they're more "events" than "places."

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Katana Gomai posted:

That's an oddly specific question. Are you about to move somewhere and this is what you're basing your decision on? Because if so, that rules.

Lol, no I was just wondering. When I was in Denver I never got street passes but I imagine cities where I drive less Street Passes might be more common.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I'm in suburban Long Island, New York and it's relatively dry for StreetPass action. I might get one or two if I stray from my daily route to run some errands. At a large public event I'll usually get something decent though. 6 hits at a Memorial Day air show on a beach boardwalk. 15 at a WWE event in Brooklyn (never got to clear out the second queue so I probably could have gotten more).

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

I take Boston public transit to and from work and I usually get 2 or 3 a day, usually the same people but occasionally someone new.

This is even avoiding the busier parts of the city - if I go farther in, I get more.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
How do I work this Street Pass thing? :psyduck:

Do I just turn it on and close the lid? What is this queue deal?

e: for clarification I did read the OP but I wasn't sure if it was a standalone application or if I had to be playing a game that had Street Pass included.
e: additionally, is there a complete list of StreetPass games?

Red Robin Hood fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 2, 2013

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Red Robin Hood posted:

How do I work this Street Pass thing? :psyduck:

Do I just turn it on and close the lid? What is this queue deal?

Yeah - once you enable it in a game, you trade data with anyone else nearby who also has it enabled for that game.

The plaza thing is basically just a tech demo to give you an example of how it works. You can see other people's Miis (which is what I'm assuming you mean by the queue thing) and do those goofy mini games with them. You don't actually have to play with it if all you care about is sharing Animal Crossing houses or whatever.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You have to play the streetpasd Mii plaza program first to configure your settings, then you can automatically streetpass from sleep mode in almost all 3ds games but not in DSi mode. You can have ten people waiting at the gates, you have to open the program and let them in before you can get more passes. But you have to play the streetpass games with those people before you let more in the gate or you will lose them in those games.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Minidust posted:

I'm in suburban Long Island, New York and it's relatively dry for StreetPass action. I might get one or two if I stray from my daily route to run some errands. At a large public event I'll usually get something decent though. 6 hits at a Memorial Day air show on a beach boardwalk. 15 at a WWE event in Brooklyn (never got to clear out the second queue so I probably could have gotten more).

Same. I've streetpassed people in Long Beach, at stores, and even on the highway a bunch of times, but it's nothing compared to a New York City day where I'm guaranteed three-ish--more, depending on where I go. (Also Long Islanders say on Long Island, what is wrong with your dialect!!!)

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

greatn posted:

You have to play the streetpasd Mii plaza program first to configure your settings, then you can automatically streetpass from sleep mode in almost all 3ds games but not in DSi mode. You can have ten people waiting at the gates, you have to open the program and let them in before you can get more passes. But you have to play the streetpass games with those people before you let more in the gate or you will lose them in those games.

Now thanks to the new street pass games it could take a good half an hour easily to use your Mii's when clearing the plaza gate. While all of them can benefit from just waiting until you reach 10 Mii's, I would love to break them up into chunks of 3 to play Mii Force.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Ryanbomber posted:

The plaza thing is basically just a tech demo to give you an example of how it works. You can see other people's Miis (which is what I'm assuming you mean by the queue thing) and do those goofy mini games with them. You don't actually have to play with it if all you care about is sharing Animal Crossing houses or whatever.

You've got it backwards. The "plaza thing" is actually the primary Street Pass experience, whereas most games feature Street Pass as a tech demo. There are a couple of games that are pretty well enhanced using it, but the bread-and-butter of Street Pass is the six games that are exclusive to the service.

If you live somewhere without a significant number of Street Passes, it probably seems like a tech demo. When you're pulling multiple passes a day, the plaza is where it really shines.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 2, 2013

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

petewhitley posted:

You've got it backwards. The "plaza thing" is actually the primary Street Pass experience, whereas most games feature Street Pass as a tech demo. There are a couple of games that are pretty well enhanced using it, but the bread-and-butter of Street Pass is the six games that are exclusive to the service.

I don't think you know what a tech demo is. I didn't mean it as a diss against the plaza (I clear my queue whenever it fills up) but it pretty obviously started as a basic example of things you can do with Streetpass. They built on to it because people liked it, but when they were designing the console they didn't add Streetpass specifically so you could trade pieces of pictures with your friends and play a barebones RPG.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Spacebump posted:

I've gotten a few at the Easton shopping district in Columbus, Ohio. I'm sure going into the actual city would net some better results. Every now and then I take a trip up there with the intention of getting some StreetPasses just because I'm really big on that whole thing now that I know where to get a few reliably. I never get any in Charleston, WV though which is much closer to home. Heck, there are two GameStops in the mall there and I'm not sure if either one has a 3DS display unit. I know the one on the second floor definitely doesn't have one.

Basically Goons, avoid Western West Virginia if you ever travel here. Except me! Come find me and StreetPass me!

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Wow people weren't kidding about Mario & Luigi Dream Team becoming hard, the enemies on Mount Pajamaja are kicking my rear end. It's really becoming essential to dodge those attacks.

Also where the hell is the pi'illo elder? I remember after rescuing him he said he'd reward me according to the number of pi'illos I'd saved, then the bridge collapsed and I couldn't get back to the castle, then later when I did get back there I couldn't find him anymore.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Nintendo seems pretty drat optimistic with those Wii U numbers, but I guess their 3DS stuff is carrying them well enough. ~1.5 million in a quarter for two games isn't too shabby although both could have done better. I assume Nintendo's hoping they have long tails.

This sort of makes me nervous because I wonder if it doesn't mean Nintendo won't start releasing their "A-level" games for the Wii U and putting more "B/C"-level games on the 3DS.

I am not buying a Wii U like my mom just to play the next Zelda game.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 2, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Do you have to beat Find Mii twice before unlocking Find Mii 2, by the way? I finally beat it last week but it just started me over. Luckily progress has been fast thanks to streetpassing my nephew and coworker both to level seven.

Also, is it just me, or does every loving body use a red shirt? I get so many reds! Your spell and power ups are useless to me!

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Suaimhneas posted:

Wow people weren't kidding about Mario & Luigi Dream Team becoming hard, the enemies on Mount Pajamaja are kicking my rear end. It's really becoming essential to dodge those attacks.

Also where the hell is the pi'illo elder? I remember after rescuing him he said he'd reward me according to the number of pi'illos I'd saved, then the bridge collapsed and I couldn't get back to the castle, then later when I did get back there I couldn't find him anymore.
He's in the maintenance hut in the park, so where you fought the non-dream world boss of the park. But I'd just continue where you are from now, the rewards he gives for saving Pi'illos are nice, but once you're done on Mount Pajamaja you'll unlock warp pipes for fast travel.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

greatn posted:

Do you have to beat Find Mii twice before unlocking Find Mii 2, by the way? I finally beat it last week but it just started me over. Luckily progress has been fast thanks to streetpassing my nephew and coworker both to level seven.

Yes, 2 times.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

Spacebump posted:

Honolulu! I get quite a few from Japanese people. Like, I have maybe 3 states (Hawaii, Washington, California) tagged but I have like 10 Japanese provinces tagged.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Suaimhneas posted:

Wait til you try some of the suped-up bosses in the Battle Ring, they hit like trucks and even if you can see the tells on the attacks you only have fractions of a second to react.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Spacebump posted:

It's not the US, but I got something like an average of eight a day walking around the downtown areas of Sydney and Melbourne. Walking around campus in Columbus, Ohio gets me more like one or two per day.

kevin mung
Jul 15, 2013

by Shine
Let me hire one of you Columbus guys to camp out next to 315 so I can grab a street pass every time I drive to work. I've gotten 0 since I bought my 3DS a few months ago.

saihate
Oct 16, 2009

ID: ththththt
PASS: hthththth
You could always try loitering some universities. I get about 5 streetpasses a day just by attending classes. I don't think I get as many in large cities, although I get a few if I go to San Francisco's Japan town.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Spacebump posted:

I get a few whenever I ride the Red Line in Chicago, almost regardless of time of day.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Spacebump posted:

I get a decent amount just going through Boston. Maybe 3 or so a day just walking through and like 5-7 when I go to my university. Granted one of those streetpasses is likely to be my girlfriend, but it's still a good number.

Dunderhead
Dec 31, 2003
Airdisc^2

punchdaily posted:

I get a few whenever I ride the Red Line in Chicago, almost regardless of time of day.

Good to know as I'm on the red line for about 1.5 hours a day!

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Sounds like I'll be in good shape. I live in the middle of Philly, and take the train to work (at a college) every day. :toot:

But it sounds like you actually have to "process" them once you get 10 or so? This sounds confusing :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kazy posted:

Sounds like I'll be in good shape. I live in the middle of Philly, and take the train to work (at a college) every day. :toot:

But it sounds like you actually have to "process" them once you get 10 or so? This sounds confusing :ohdear:

As someone else who lives in Philly in a similar situation, I wouldn't stress about getting all 10 before you can check. It's more likely you'll get 5-6 at most.

It's not really confusing. Once you get 10, you have to "check" them/get their puzzle pieces/use them in a game before you can get more.

• Locked thread