Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blamzor
Jul 10, 2009
Nap Ghost

Vahakyla posted:

About 5 minutes.

Thats pretty reasonable considering i've waited up to 10 for a HB .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

UoI posted:

I still haven't successfully taken off in the tutorial. :smith:

That tutorial is messed up for me. It tells med to apply 100% throttle right at the start (which I never do anyway) and then won't let me control the plane. I finally manged to cheese it by applying 100% throttle and then reducing it all until I was given control of the plane. If I just did what the tutorial said, the plane would veer off and head for poo poo to crash into before I get control. Stupid as hell.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

MrOnBicycle posted:

That tutorial is messed up for me. It tells med to apply 100% throttle right at the start (which I never do anyway) and then won't let me control the plane. I finally manged to cheese it by applying 100% throttle and then reducing it all until I was given control of the plane. If I just did what the tutorial said, the plane would veer off and head for poo poo to crash into before I get control. Stupid as hell.

Yeah I remember that for me, the flight would start all perfect, but then halt and the dude would say how I am stalling so i have to push my nose down. And not a little, but a lot. Not letting me proceed with my flawless takeoff until I followed the command.

And when I did, my plane of course prop struck in the runway. It was such a :GAIJIN moment.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I was worried about all these upgrades and added costs, but the mods on the WT forums were clearing some things up:

The 5 minute lock-out includes time spent in game, so if you fly for 5 minutes before quitting you should be able to play again immediately

The aircraft upgrades are basically what we have currently, but expanded. New engine for a little more power, newer radiator for better cooling etc. New guns don't do more damage or anything, but allow for longer sustained bursts before locking up/overheating and offer a little better accuracy over 500m. They were stressing that these differences aren't huge, and fully upgraded, the plane will perform exactly like it should historically. Think of it as getting an old plane in your squadron and refurbishing it to factory standard.

By the sound of it, paying for ammo belts is cheap, one person said ~70 lions. If you have automatic reloads on, it will charge you each time you reload. If not, you can buy belts in advance that are consumed in game when you reload (AB, mostly, no word about paying for half-empty belts)

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Grumio posted:

I was worried about all these upgrades and added costs, but the mods on the WT forums were clearing some things up:

The 5 minute lock-out includes time spent in game, so if you fly for 5 minutes before quitting you should be able to play again immediately

The aircraft upgrades are basically what we have currently, but expanded. New engine for a little more power, newer radiator for better cooling etc. New guns don't do more damage or anything, but allow for longer sustained bursts before locking up/overheating and offer a little better accuracy over 500m. They were stressing that these differences aren't huge, and fully upgraded, the plane will perform exactly like it should historically. Think of it as getting an old plane in your squadron and refurbishing it to factory standard.

By the sound of it, paying for ammo belts is cheap, one person said ~70 lions. If you have automatic reloads on, it will charge you each time you reload. If not, you can buy belts in advance that are consumed in game when you reload (AB, mostly, no word about paying for half-empty belts)

Upgrades that make your plane a total of maybe 10-15% "better" would be absolutely fine, and if the current performance is for a fully-upgraded plane, that's great - it might make fighting planes 3-4 ranks higher actually ok. Just as long as it's not a WoT clusterfuck where by the time you've upgraded your tank to be competitive it's nearly time for a new tank.

I figured the whole "pay per belt used" would be coming up soon, and said so back in 1.29. If it's 70 lions per belt, you're going to be going through a fuckload of belts before you even notice it.

Those patch notes have strengthened my desire to get more into HB and then FRB. If I wasn't buying a car this week, I'd have bought a joystick/throttle.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Aug 2, 2013

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

AlphaDog posted:

Upgrades that make your plane a total of maybe 10-15% "better" would be absolutely fine, and if the current performance is for a fully-upgraded plane, that's great - it might make fighting planes 3-4 ranks higher actually ok. Just as long as it's not a WoT clusterfuck where by the time you've upgraded your tank to be competitive it's nearly time for a new tank.

I figured the whole "pay per belt used" would be coming up soon, and said so back in 1.29. If it's 70 lions per belt, you're going to be going through a fuckload of belts before you even notice it.

Those patch notes have strengthened my desire to get more into HB and then FRB. If I wasn't buying a car this week, I'd have bought a joystick/throttle.

The current performance for stock plane is underwhelmed by the said percentage. Equipping full upgrades in 1.33 will make this plane perform as if it would be brand new from factory.

Belts are very cheap now (had no time for test run, so no clue on actual prices), but they've tremendously increased the experience amount required for belts to be unlocked. Also, you can now equip belts for your turrets as well. The only problem is that in arcade you will burn through the belts really quick and that can built a decent sum.

Also, from what was written on Russian forums, you can swap belts and the weaponry handing below your plane on the airfield in the middle of the battle - you can remove your rocket pods/hanging guns, swap omni to stealth et cetera.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Most people just stayed up here dogfighting

Getting below the clouds was risky, mountains came out of nowhere

Once you finally broke through the fog, all the ground targets were all yours

Until you went too far on that path along the right side of the map.

At the end, I wound up with 4 kills and 20 something ground targets destroyed, because hardly anyone went below the clouds. I kinda cheated with my bomb sight and would alter my course when it started climbing up a mountain.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

What plane is that?

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
The XP-55 Ascender, jokingly referred to as "rear end-Ender" by many at the time of its testing phase.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MrOnBicycle posted:

I got into a HB yesterday with a couple of goons yesterday, it was pretty fun. I'll give the tutorial another go doing what you did and if I can actually get off the ground I'll join you guys if I see you in mumble.

e: I'm actually pretty low tier, my highest is England at Tier 5.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Low tier is fine. The tiers have more leeway in FRB since it is about maneuvering, spotting and teamwork to even line up shots. And planes are much more fragile.
Even better, with the FRB bonus you get, leveling up is fast!

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
I haven't seen any mention of this

Goddamn Russian Devs posted:

Update:

New USAF planes:

Grumman F8F-1 Bearcat
Grumman F8F-1b Bearcat
Republic P-47D-28 Thunderbolt
New American rocket:

"Tiny Tim" anti-ship rocket added for US planes

I guess Gaijin finally got tired of everybody bitching about higher tier American prop planes. t00t t00t rape train incoming!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Well last time they had 2 american planes that they took away from us at the last minute :colbert:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Hahahaha Tiny Tims yessssssss

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
I just want to loving bomb and strafe things for once and I am having the worst luck possible :negative:

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

How do we know when the test server is up? Is the F8F already on it? That is one of my most favorite propeller planes of all time :allears:

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
Okay so apparently the P-47's tail is made of paper. I thought these things were supposed to be well armored. What a piece of poo poo.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Killing 4 dudes in HB without landing is always fun.

5 if you count the friendly aircobra that ran into me trying to attack one of my targets. I somehow took absolutely no damage from the collision :smug:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
So what nationality should I be grinding up if I want to play with goons in Historical and FRB as much as possible?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Ralith posted:

So what nationality should I be grinding up if I want to play with goons in Historical and FRB as much as possible?

Get to level 6-7 on any nation and you are fine. Minimum 3-4 with all lf them and you can usually grab a plane that lets you hang with the others. We can cover you then so you can rack kills.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Hovering between tier 3 and 5 soviet planes, any outstanding suggestions thus far? Enjoying the tier 3 LaGG, unsure if I want to go for the MiG or stick around until I get the YaK.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Insert name here posted:

Hahahaha Tiny Tims yessssssss

:getin:

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

BillyJoeBob posted:

How do we know when the test server is up? Is the F8F already on it? That is one of my most favorite propeller planes of all time :allears:

They usually post it here and make an annoucement. It's too bad though, because it's usually up very early morning/early afternoon for us US players...

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
Well I didn't know this game existed, sounds right up my street. Downloading the beta, might see you up there sometime.

I'll be a dirty Russian obviously.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Ralith posted:

Those of us that play a lot tend to focus on USA, Germany, Japan in that order.

We don't usually play Russia or England more than once a day for x2 bonus thingie.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Thief posted:

We don't usually play Russia or England more than once a day for x2 bonus thingie.

That's funny because I was planning on focusing in the exact opposite way. Care to say a bit more about why you think USA and Germany are better than Russian and Britain? I'd heard a lot about how great the Yak and Lagg are and that both the Beaufighter and Spitfire are fun to play as well.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

What tier American planes do you normally fly for group HB? Working on the 2nd Kingcobra now and figure that will be much more viable.

az
Dec 2, 2005

^^
The yellow kingcobras, aka Mr. Turny and Mr. Fast are really nice. The fast one can go over 1k kmh in a dive and the turny one can wrestle Germans to death down low.

Mr.Kite posted:

That's funny because I was planning on focusing in the exact opposite way. Care to say a bit more about why you think USA and Germany are better than Russian and Britain? I'd heard a lot about how great the Yak and Lagg are and that both the Beaufighter and Spitfire are fun to play as well.

Russian planes in HB have some "masters of nothing" thing going on, which means they'll be all over the place, high, low, bnzing, turnfighting. This doesn't work out well most of the time and they lose most HBs.

Brits only have a few planes that are actually really good in HB, and some others which could or should be good but are being held back by stupid balancing decisions.

Germany and Japan have multiple planes that excel strongly at their specialty and the US has some nice higher level planes that can perform very well.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dont play russia in HB only because its easier to find full games faster with the other nations

Bruc
May 30, 2006

Thief posted:

How can you stand playing Japan? I play them low tier sometimes and was planning on playing them as my main nation originally but good lord they are just so slow that anyone with half a brain can just run from you, at least at low levels. Not that they aren't fun when stuff works out for you but it can be so frustrating to have almost anyone be able to escape you without much effort.

E: I guess maybe I should give them a shot in HB since I do have a Ko Reisen but in arcade battles they just feel awful to me so far.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Bruc posted:

How can you stand playing Japan? I play them low tier sometimes and was planning on playing them as my main nation originally but good lord they are just so slow that anyone with half a brain can just run from you, at least at low levels. Not that they aren't fun when stuff works out for you but it can be so frustrating to have almost anyone be able to escape you without much effort.

They are hilarious in Arcade and in HB you will want to have a squad to support you. N1Ks on your side are a great help and stupid enemies that don't realize the speed differential are a nice bonus.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Cool, maybe I'll give it another shot then. I have all nations but US at 5-6 now though I haven't actually flown any of my Japanese planes higher than tier 3. Hopefully I can pick a nation to really focus on soon.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So will the ammo belt consumable count towards reloads in air? If so, jesus, that will be expensive with some belts. Reload a dozen times in a match per plane and that's a rather hefty chunk.

And brilliant, making the experience required to unlock belts astronomical will do wonders for low tier Germany. It's hard to level up when 80% of your shots are ball rounds. Once I unlocked the omni belt, I actually started killing things.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Mr.Kite posted:

All the countries are good.

Why do we not focus on :britain:?

If you're playing to win, the only reason to play England is for Spitfires and we have Premium Spitfires on USA.

BROfighters are a joke in HBs. When you play historical, there are a lot of bad pubbies that flop around in these things. You generally have to carry the whole loving team every time you play British HBs because of this. It's not uncommon to be the ONLY fighter.

Nobody knows how to fly Typhoons properly and there's almost no reason to use them instead of a Spitfire.

We only play Britain to fly Wirrays/Boomerangs/D520s.

Why do we not focus on :ussr:?

Low ammo loads without the maneuverability required for this to be acceptable (see: Japan).

As Az said, "masters of nothing". Yaks and La's are good... but not that good.

Relies on knowing how to play against the weaknesses of whatever plane your enemy is flying.

Tends to attract bad players that don't know how to do this.

Longer que times.

F-86 Sabre + F9F Panther > Mig 15. :dealwithit:

Why does :911: own so hard?

F-86 Sabre + F9F Panther are worth mentioning again.

US Premium tree has the most iconic planes from the war (Zero/BF 109F/Spit Mk9 for starters).

Consider the possible team compositions this allows. Take your vanilla US tree and add those premium planes to the mix. It's not hard for us to have all the bases covered in terms of playstyles needed to dominate anyone that we go up against.

Lots o' guns mounted. Lots o' ammo. Lots o' fuel. USA is the most capable of endurance battles. We can go longer without having to land and that is a huge advantage in HBs since you have to land to reload. On the flip side, it also allows us to attack extremely aggressively if we want to since we have more than enough ammo to spare.

Machine guns are going to get buffed. Most American fighters have 6x-8x 12.7 mm Browning MGs on them.

Probably the most difficult country to play right now, but that somehow makes it more fun.

They seem to be adding the Bearcat for the sole purpose of making pubbies cry.

Did I mention the F-86 Sabre + F9F Panther?

:godwinning:?

BF 109s are my favorite WW2 plane. You get 7 of them in this game and they all happen to own.

Overall best boom and zoomers in the game.

Tends to attract players that actually climb high enough to fight at proper altitudes. This is loving important outside of arcade.

Tends to attract players that actually know how to play. By this, I mean you won't see as many 410s flopping around as you do BROfighters/Il2's/B-25 Bitchells. And when you do, they tend to be better at making themselves useful. I think this is mainly because the lower tier difficulty scares away most casuals. The usual team composition is nothing but 109s and 190s. The other team will almost always have more bombers or useless attackers.

Huge tree. It's the loving Luftwaffe.

The Ju 88 holds 36 bombs.

The Salamander tends to get into games where it is the only jet because of its low rank.

The Me 163 is too hilarious not to fly. It looks like a pizza slice and only has 6 minutes of fuel. It's also a loving rocket plane... pretty sure the only rocket plane. Ever.

A tiny pizza slice rocket frantically flying around the map to get some kills before it runs out of fuel. poo poo's fun.

Bruc posted:

E: I guess maybe I should give them a shot in HB since I do have a Ko Reisen but in arcade battles they just feel awful to me so far.

Japan owns. I swear Zeroes get some kind of damage bonus to their cannons in arcade because holy poo poo it rapes everything. Zeroes cannot be beat in 1v1 situation unless forced to defend against an experienced BnZ player or tail gunner. Their only weakness is slow speed and low cannon ammo. This is irrelevant in arcade mode. :lol: air reloading is game breakingly OP.

High-ish tier Japan HBs have N1Ks.

N1K's can gently caress up everyone at high altitudes. N1Ks are loving bad rear end. You HAVE to climb up to fight them or they will kill your whole team.

You will also see a lot of Japanese 190s at this level.

Enemies that aren't able to keep up at high altitudes will have to dive to escape the N1Ks/190s or lose altitude in an extended dog fight. These people will be chewed up by the Zeroes/Hiens that are circling below like sharks. While the enemy is dealing with the turn fighters, the N1Ks can BnZ through the furballs. This is extremely exhausting to play against because you will be attacked at any altitude by planes that specialize in very different things.

You cannot attack a G8N1 from behind. It will rip your plane to shreds.

The only way you'll ever attack a G8N1 is from behind. They do this on purpose.

The other Japanese planes are deceptively agile that you'll blow half your ammo just trying to hit them.

:japan:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Thief posted:

Why does :911: own so hard?

All of this is true.

The biggest downside to playing 'merica in HB is the versatility of their fighters. You'll probably have 1 or 2 retards in Thunderbolts or Hellcats that start off with a full load of bombs and rockets. They'll go in low while the rest of the team climbs and blow up maybe 2-3 arty/AAA before a 109 takes them out. It's even worse if they're flying a Corsair because those are one of the best fighters in the US lineup (and currently overpowered a bit).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's so funny watching people scream on the War Thunder forums. Go into the HB section and watch the tears flow as german players who participated in the Dora Swarm cry that they are actually facing competition from comparable USA planes.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's so funny watching people scream on the War Thunder forums. Go into the HB section and watch the tears flow as german players who participated in the Dora Swarm cry that they are actually facing competition from comparable USA planes.

I like how any particular faction beating someone is grounds for accusations of developer bias. Months ago everyone wouldn't stop talking about a perceived Russian bias, then during Dora-geddon there were accusations of German bias. Pubbies. :allears:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Droid posted:

I like how any particular faction beating someone is grounds for accusations of developer bias. Months ago everyone wouldn't stop talking about a perceived Russian bias, then during Dora-geddon there were accusations of German bias. Pubbies. :allears:

The main problem with Dora-geddon was the matchmaking, which was horrendous at the time (not that it is much better). There were so many Doras flying that Russians, Brits and USA were lumped together just to make even team numbers. So you have three distinct playstyles crammed into a team while a dozen Doras descended like vultures on the disorganized rabble of Allies.

With the Corsair buffs, I've noticed a lot more teamwork amongst USA pilots.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The main problem with Dora-geddon was the matchmaking, which was horrendous at the time (not that it is much better). There were so many Doras flying that Russians, Brits and USA were lumped together just to make even team numbers. So you have three distinct playstyles crammed into a team while a dozen Doras descended like vultures on the disorganized rabble of Allies.

With the Corsair buffs, I've noticed a lot more teamwork amongst USA pilots.

I just wish machine guns were more viable, as it is right now in the higher tiers if you don't have at least 2x20mm you're constantly outgunned. I mention this because all the popular (competitive) planes in HB like the Dora and F4Uc are the ones with cannons that'll kill if you get in one or two solid bursts in, which kinda makes it discouraging to play anything else because you'll work harder to get the same result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Thanks for the rundown, it was super informative. I probably should have noted that I'm a noob who uses mouse aim and only plays arcade battles (so far). So I'm not sure how much of this is going to carry over to that mode. I guess you can think of me as more of a refugee from WoT who is interested in trying out planes for the first time than a flight sim/realism junkie. Basically, right now I just want to blow people up as efficiently as possible. I might eventually graduate to historic battles, but that seems like it's in the distant future atm.

• Locked thread