Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Someone post the server IP we're goonrushing, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

I think c3w.servegame.com:4242

Orv
May 4, 2011
You mean the one with 3 people on it? Why not go with the top server with a bunch of slots and people that doesn't overtly list any bullshit rules?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Orv posted:

You mean the one with 3 people on it? Why not go with the top server with a bunch of slots and people that doesn't overtly list any bullshit rules?

How about you post the IP?

Orv
May 4, 2011
How about gently caress you dad.

s.brierie.co:4242

Their blurb says create your own faction and duke it out with the universe. Have to find out where the line is I guess. Suicide fighters would be a good start.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Can we make an all-goon faction?

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Orv posted:

How about gently caress you dad.

s.brierie.co:4242

Their blurb says create your own faction and duke it out with the universe. Have to find out where the line is I guess. Suicide fighters would be a good start.

If you dig into their rules they don't allow uploaded blueprints, which is less than ideal for various shenanigans.

VVV At the very least give it a reboot, long-range travel is basically impossible as-is.

Glorgnole fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 2, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So should I shut the goon server down?

Doesn't look like there's any lag on the server I set up. Likely someone did something stupid to cause it, like setting up a mile long spaceship. From the looks of it that can potentially tax the system when first uploading it, since the way the game handles it has it upload the layout and then build it fairly quickly.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 2, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011

Archonex posted:

So should I shut the goon server down?

Doesn't look like there's any lag on the server I set up. Likely someone did something stupid to cause it, like setting up a mile long spaceship.

Rev made one, so basically the same thing.

Glorgnole posted:

If you dig into their rules they don't allow uploaded blueprints, which is less than ideal for various shenanigans.

Once you have the launch vessel it's the work of a minute top to assemble a missile, so it shouldn't be too big a deal provided you can run from people sufficiently fast in the carrier ship.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
What about this one? I don't see a restriction on blueprints with these guys: http://starmade-servers.com/server/246/

And it's got 43 players.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

I think we're all playing on CW3 right now, I wasn't noticing alot of lag personally, but other people were bothered by it.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

I quite enjoy your server Archonex.

Not sure how we'd establish ourselves on some random server, just carve out a bit of space for ourselves as quick as possible?

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Orv posted:

So this shitheap is on a planet somewhere on Archonex's server.

It's got ~40 salvagers in one array, a 30 piece powerdrain array, a bunch of missile launchers (lock-on, anti-cloak variety), a small shield array and a ton of fairly useless cloak and radar masking modules. I stripped it of its engines so bring a few but if you find it it's your to keep or tear apart and sell. If you sell every piece it'll probably be enough to build a similar ship that isn't loving terrible.

To my knowledge this is the only occurrence of two desert planets next to each other on the server so here's that as a hint.

I found it and somehow glitched it into space and then stuck some boosters on, and delivered it back to home base. I guess maybe that could've been part of the problem.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

If someone wanted to troll/bring down a server, could they just theoretically make a ship that was just engines, point it in a random direction, and weight down the accelerator key and walk away from the computer? How large can a universe be before it starts to bog down the server?

Edit: Wait, did someone build that red abomination, or was it generated by the game? Ditto the Titan ship.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

What about this one? I don't see a restriction on blueprints with these guys: http://starmade-servers.com/server/246/

And it's got 43 players.

It says no blueprints. Doesn't that mean that you can't upload any to the server? If so that means that it's literally just PVP. If I understand the upload system right that means you'll never see pirates sporting ships that are made. Which means it's basically easy mode for spergs.

nftyw posted:

I found it and somehow glitched it into space and then stuck some boosters on, and delivered it back to home base. I guess maybe that could've been part of the problem.

That might have been the cause of the lag, yeah. If it was ramming into the planet constantly maybe that did it. :v:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 2, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011

nftyw posted:

No I stripped it and stranded it there intentionally. The upside down nature of how I left it was... somewhat less intentional. Maybe something big on a planet causes lag, though Starfucker 9000 was grounded earlier without lag.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Orv posted:

No I stripped it and stranded it there intentionally. The upside down nature of how I left it was... somewhat less intentional. Maybe something big on a planet causes lag, though Starfucker 9000 was grounded earlier without lag.

The way it looks to be angled, it almost makes me think it might be trying to fall constantly. Block based games like that can have wonky physics, and who knows what the planetary gravity physics are like in Starmade. I mean, from what we saw early this morning it looks like building upwards out of planetary gravity can actually increase the size of a gravity well. Or if not that, apply the planetary gravity well to constructions linked to the surface.

That being said, I logged in just now and didn't see any lag. I also checked my network monitor and it didn't report all of my upload capabilities being taken up, so that shouldn't have been the cause either. The computer it's running on isn't at all stressed CPU-wise either. Just to be safe, I asked, and another player confirmed the lag is gone as well.

Likely it was something to do with a process occurring in the game. Although it doesn't seem likely to happen that often, given that the thing's been running for almost an hour. I'll check around the forums to see what the cause might be. Hopefully it's not some limitation of Java causing it. I really don't want to have to restrict some function of the gameplay due to engine limitations. Right now it's totally a sandbox with everything activated, and i'd like to keep it that way.

Either way, i'll keep it up until it looks like it's abandoned. Provided the game's account system lets you transfer credits and resources, it'd be a good place to base ourselves for any stuff we do on public servers.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 2, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Ahh, why would you not allow blueprints? I guess to keep giant ships from being a thing? Oh well. I'm on the c3w with some other goons for now until we figure out where to go from here.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Ahh, why would you not allow blueprints? I guess to keep giant ships from being a thing? Oh well. I'm on the c3w with some other goons for now until we figure out where to go from here.

Post coords if you can. If I can bring my character over I can buy us a swanky space station and a faction home base to operate from. Now that I know how to use factories we can mass produce stuff once I get a base set up.

Edit: The first thing I see after zoning in to C3W.

A gigantic fuckoff Star Destroyer. I screen shotted the size of a block in the corner for comparison purposes. We need to hijack that thing.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 2, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011
There's faction chat if you can be assed to pubbie police joining.

Rabidsamba
Sep 1, 2011
If we do switch to some other server I think we may be better off having a space station instead of a homeworld, just so that we can get around the issue of the gravity, or we should at least set up one near wherever we decide to settle.

More importantly, we need to find some pirate stations, because those things are filled with money making materials. Last night I just set up a fast and light ship with some radar jammers and cloaking, and just flew it straight towards the center of one of them, out of range from the auto turrets. From there I just spent a few minutes shooting at the faction block and then stole everything inside of their chests.

There must have been about 3000 or more of the minerals, most levels 3-5, putting me at around 2.5billion credits after selling off like a third of them. Just make sure to check how much the shop is giving you, because I had one of the stacks either glitch out or roll over the counter or something and putting the value at a negative amount which dropped me to 0 credits.

Also, quick tip for the pirate stations, if you can sneak over to the turrets without getting your face blown off, you can enter the weapons module that controls them and then enter build mode and just deconstruct them. Then use the lasers you get from that to speed up the time it takes to break the faction block.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Rabidsamba posted:

If we do switch to some other server I think we may be better off having a space station instead of a homeworld, just so that we can get around the issue of the gravity, or we should at least set up one near wherever we decide to settle.

More importantly, we need to find some pirate stations, because those things are filled with money making materials. Last night I just set up a fast and light ship with some radar jammers and cloaking, and just flew it straight towards the center of one of them, out of range from the auto turrets. From there I just spent a few minutes shooting at the faction block and then stole everything inside of their chests.

There must have been about 3000 or more of the minerals, most levels 3-5, putting me at around 2.5billion credits after selling off like a third of them. Just make sure to check how much the shop is giving you, because I had one of the stacks either glitch out or roll over the counter or something and putting the value at a negative amount which dropped me to 0 credits.

Also, quick tip for the pirate stations, if you can sneak over to the turrets without getting your face blown off, you can enter the weapons module that controls them and then enter build mode and just deconstruct them. Then use the lasers you get from that to speed up the time it takes to break the faction block.

You don't even need to find a pirate station. Find an abandoned or trade guild station and blow up the faction control node. Or find where the storage locker is inside of it. That'll net you half million right there, if not more. More if you take control of the building to remove all mats after taking it over.

Edit: My main reason for wanting to hijack it is that that thing looks insanely expensive. Taking it from someone would be hilarious as a result.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 2, 2013

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

Only the spergiest will do.
Someone please redirect their sperg away from recreating Star Wars/Trek ships by hand and turn it towards a good texture pack.

I don't get the weird rear end loyalty to minecraft 16x16 textures, space is so easy to make pretty.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
I think a lot of that 'loyalty' is trying to ride on Minecraft's coattails.
You could have told me that this was just a Minecraft mod and there's nothing in those screenshots or video's that would prove you wrong.

Rabidsamba
Sep 1, 2011
Do we have a faction on the C3W server? Also are factions persistent across games, cause that would be great if they were.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Salvaged the poo poo out of that Star Destroyer. I am now stupidly space rich. Who wants a space station?

Those white hull pieces are hardened hull. Which are amazingly expensive. :getin:

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Buying that ship nets you billions with out the carpel tunnel!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Buying that ship nets you billions with out the carpel tunnel!

True. But now I get to see the server host lose his poo poo in general chat over a heavily salvaged space ship.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Archonex posted:

Salvaged the poo poo out of that Star Destroyer. I am now stupidly space rich. Who wants a space station?

Those white hull pieces are hardened hull. Which are amazingly expensive. :getin:

Wait, you just SALVAGED it? gently caress, why not just jack it and crash it into as many planets as you can and leave it wedged in the disk?

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Moto42 posted:

I think a lot of that 'loyalty' is trying to ride on Minecraft's coattails.
You could have told me that this was just a Minecraft mod and there's nothing in those screenshots or video's that would prove you wrong.

Yeah, that first planet surface screenshot in the OP looks like Minecraft with slightly different textures. But then you see screenshots of battlecruisers from StarCraft - which also actually fly and shoot - and this game suddenly seems a bit different.

The fact that you can make spaceships that DO something is pretty nice. Whereas in Minecraft, you can build stuff, but it doesn't do anything. A friend of mine built a big pirate ship in Minecraft. All it does is sit there in the harbor. But here... here we could build massive spaceships! Which we could then pilot and man turrets and dock! And there's also factories for making stuff I guess? I don't know, I've only tried out Starmade for an hour or two so far.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

HJE-Cobra posted:

Yeah, that first planet surface screenshot in the OP looks like Minecraft with slightly different textures. But then you see screenshots of battlecruisers from StarCraft - which also actually fly and shoot - and this game suddenly seems a bit different.

The fact that you can make spaceships that DO something is pretty nice. Whereas in Minecraft, you can build stuff, but it doesn't do anything. A friend of mine built a big pirate ship in Minecraft. All it does is sit there in the harbor. But here... here we could build massive spaceships! Which we could then pilot and man turrets and dock! And there's also factories for making stuff I guess? I don't know, I've only tried out Starmade for an hour or two so far.

That I can one day build automated ships that consume worlds and other ships, that then make copies of themselves, fills me with a disturbed joy. We can ruin entire servers with grey-goo doomsday scenarios!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Randalor posted:

Wait, you just SALVAGED it? gently caress, why not just jack it and crash it into as many planets as you can and leave it wedged in the disk?

Because now I have literally infinite cash to fund the creation of our very own goon station, The Mein Craft. Plus, by selling all that hull I actually have more cash than that ship cost. Meaning that I can spawn something even bigger.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
How... how did someone even get 50,000 pieces in the first place to build something like that? I don't know how you'd even get to that scale.

All I did in the time I played was build a rinkydink ship, fly around to check out random planets, get chased by some NPC pirate ships, and flew directly into the sun.

Arclyte
Apr 21, 2002
There are some good tutorial videos by one of the designers that might be useful to new players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ0qTeXjeT4

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Archonex are you the guy to ask for faction invites? I'd like to make a giant space skull with laser eye turrets at the goonstation.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it
Are credits and inventories transferable? I thought you had a new spawn on each new server?

I think the original server will be fine if we just stick to a space station.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

HJE-Cobra posted:

How... how did someone even get 50,000 pieces in the first place to build something like that? I don't know how you'd even get to that scale.

There are factory blocks that can mass-produce specific blocks.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Randalor posted:

My view of the universe while driving. It's not much to see. Also, a tasty space station.

You can just put a second cockpit in the front and see through that.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Turns out that you can't put respawner blocks on ships, so the kamikaze torpedo carrier won't quite work as planned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

HJE-Cobra posted:

All I did in the time I played was build a rinkydink ship, fly around to check out random planets, get chased by some NPC pirate ships, and flew directly into the sun.

We found some abandoned destroyer and ripped it to loving shreds.

• Locked thread