Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
Dammit, new page, let me make this more legible.

Marshal Radisic posted:

Actually, according to him, he's had a few good days recently and wrote a few stories in March of this year.

In an interview, Ligotti posted:

In 2012, I suffered some severe physical traumas that had the effect of heightening my mood, and my imagination started to gradually make a comeback after dying in 2002. That’s the best way to explain it: After producing two stories in 2002, my imagination just died. Throughout 2012, the trauma I experienced kept elevating my mood and ambition. I wrote some new poems and started to compile a collection of my interviews. Matt Cardin will edit the interview book for publication by Subterranean Press and provide an introduction. In March 2013, my imagination resurrected itself for me to finish two new stories.

Origami Dali posted:

Of course it would take something like "severe physical trauma" to elevate Ligotti's mood. I guess if there's hope for him, there's hope for anybody.

Wasn't that the plot of "The Shadow, the Darkness"? Wasn't Grossvogel an artist languishing in torpor until having a "severe gastrointestinal episode" that inspired him to make that ... thing?

fake edit: God, how could I forget. Against my better judgment (because cracking a Ligotti book means I easily could slip into one of those Ligotti binges) I peered into "TSTD" and yes, it was that debilitating physical attack which activated his "metamorphic recovery" and thus inspired the Tsalal No. 1. Maybe for now Ligotti is a successful organism.

I guess I forgot how many of the themes behind his writing are illustrations of the throes of depressive/panic disorder. No doubt he's experienced much of what his protagonists suffer.

Von Sloneker fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

"The Unmentionable Horror of the Taco Bell Beefy Megacrunch - or, How I Birthed a Shoggoth and Got My Writer's Groove Back."

Go go Ligotti! :unsmith:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I've been reading some of the recent Barron stories that will appear in the next collection, and I know I've said it before and am just repeating myself, but man his mythos is pretty crowded.

Just the more obvious ones. Children of Old Leech are in the same universe as The Light is the Darkness if what a poster put up earlier is true. The Blackwood stuff is in the same world, which means some kind of devil creature is also there. - confirmed by Phil Wary living in the Broadsword Hotel. There are more mundane aliens from Proboscis running around doing whatever gets them hard.

It feels like he's running a lot of things together, since straight up magic seems to co-exist with cosmic threats who are explicitly science fiction based. Oh well, I don't mind, I still like his work.

Edit: and oh man, Vastation is great. I feel like Barron's gone as far as he can with tension building tales of barely-revealed horrors. Stuff like The Light is the Darkness and the Croning went a bit further and brought the abominations into the light and what do you know, they were still pretty creepy. Vastation goes even further and has something much closer to sci-fi, although still pretty horrific. And it's a really interesting read.

It's actually in the Lovecraft mythos, as far as I can tell, but I'd love to see his main oeuvre get this treatment.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 16, 2013

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Barron's new collection is available on Kindle now.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I'd managed to track down most of the stories and only had a couple to read. The Ligotti tribute owned.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ornamented Death posted:

Barron's new collection is available on Kindle now.

And now Nook if that's your preferred flavor of ereader.

Smapti
Jun 15, 2013

Neurosis posted:

I'd managed to track down most of the stories and only had a couple to read. The Ligotti tribute owned.

Oh my god yes, I agree. I enjoyed the way he (facetiously, I assume) attacks lots of other weird fiction authors in that story; poor Mark Samuels and Reggie Oliver get mocked pretty heavily along with Ligotti. There are also multiple stories in the book with credible female protagonists, a pleasant surprise given how overwhelmingly masculine his stories usually are.

Also, apparently S. T. Joshi has a blog. It's suitably fractious in his inimitable style; he spends most of the newest entry on grammatical nitpicking, for example.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been reading The Light is the Darkness and man, that book is loving weird.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I bought John Hornor Jacobs's Southern Gods when it was on sale a while back, anybody read it? I'm going to start it soon, and I'm wondering whether I should get my hopes up.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

MockingQuantum posted:

I bought John Hornor Jacobs's Southern Gods when it was on sale a while back, anybody read it? I'm going to start it soon, and I'm wondering whether I should get my hopes up.

I thought it was a lot of fun. The climax leave a bit to be desired, but overall it's a pretty strong Mythos book.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

I thought it was a lot of fun. The climax leave a bit to be desired, but overall it's a pretty strong Mythos book.

Wow, not the response I expected, especially from a thread regular. I'm looking forward to it now.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I read Hallucigenia by Laird Barron a few days ago and holy loving :stare::stare::stare::stare:

Read it from start to finish around midnight and man were my dreams hosed up. Good poo poo.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The Rat posted:

I read Hallucigenia by Laird Barron a few days ago and holy loving :stare::stare::stare::stare:

Read it from start to finish around midnight and man were my dreams hosed up. Good poo poo.

That's probably my favorite story from The Imago Sequence.

Have some more Laird Barron. This was a bonus story in the limited edition of The Imago Sequence, and apparently his first published short story.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

muscles like this? posted:

I've been reading The Light is the Darkness and man, that book is loving weird.

It owned. A lot. Not an ignorant protagonist, but instead one on the inside, eliding his understanding until the transhuman stuff enters his mind and he cannot escape.

It was said that it is in the same universe as the Children of Old Leech.

What a loving horrible planet.

Still want to know whether the big dog transhumans are going to put up a fight against Old Leech.

Hallucigenia is my favourite Barron story. The sense of loss, the horrible world it alludes to, the sense of insanity, oh my. The alcoholism hit a note with me, as well...

Still trying to correlate all the Barron stories. All the fantasy and sci fi I have read has instilled in me a desire to build mythologies out of the stories I read. And some of Barron's stories don't make any sense when put together, but it is still cool.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 2, 2013

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Hallucigenia is without a doubt a good story. Last time I was doing a re-read of Barron stuff, Mysterium Tremendum worked really well for me.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

MockingQuantum posted:

I bought that at the same time, going to start it tomorrow. Just found out about and finished the first Delta Green book, don't think I'll continue. Instead I think I'll play some Wolfenstien.

E: Has anyone read Dead Space: Catalyst? I read Martyr ages ago and enjoyed it.

Dr. Benway fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 2, 2013

Smapti
Jun 15, 2013
Interesting - I just started Southern Gods this week as well. Weird fiction confluence! So far I'm liking it - it's definitely a unique take on the Mythos and a nifty idea for a setting: Arkansas in the 50s, set in the world of small-town radio stations.

I've also been reading M. R. James for the first time - his stories own. Ghost Stories of an Antiquary is filled with great creepy poo poo.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

That, with some Art Bell in the background, sounds like some great mental hijinks.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Hallucigenia is without a doubt a good story. Last time I was doing a re-read of Barron stuff, Mysterium Tremendum worked really well for me.

Remind me which one Mysterium Tremendum is?

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Neurosis posted:

Remind me which one Mysterium Tremendum is?

Gay dudes stumble upon evil book during camping trip, with typical Barron consequences.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Gay dudes stumble upon evil book during camping trip, with typical Barron consequences.

The one with the 3 tough as nails gay dudes who get in a fight? The Children of Old Leech one?

I love all the Old Leech stories. I always tell my friends to read that story (if it's the one I'm thinking of) and Hallucigenia, as an intro to Barron.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Neurosis posted:

The one with the 3 tough as nails gay dudes who get in a fight? The Children of Old Leech one?

I love all the Old Leech stories. I always tell my friends to read that story (if it's the one I'm thinking of) and Hallucigenia, as an intro to Barron.

Yeah, that's the one (although the protagonist is not keen on fighting if I remember correctly).

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Yeah, that's the one (although the protagonist is not keen on fighting if I remember correctly).

That was really good, but I don't know if it would be so good for the naïve reader (I still recommend it because it really crept me out). I read it immediately following on The Croning, and loved it. The narrator wasn't super keen on the fight, but he was still a pretty doughty fellow.

Also, narrator move somewhere without a cellar. Holy gently caress.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 3, 2013

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

Finished Southern Gods last night. It was pretty decent. I enjoyed the shout outs to other mythos stories. There was some great, creepy atmosphere, enough to make me jump when my wife quietly entered the room from the corner of my vision at one point. I would defiantly recommend it for a fun quick read.

I also would love to see Guillermo del Toro's take on this. I think there's enough of a "Kronos", "Pan's Labyrinth", "Devil's Backbone" thing going on that has a lot of potential.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The hardcover of Barron's new collection has been pushed back into September gently caress I JUST WANT TO READ THE GODDAMN BOOK WHAT IS THE loving HOLDUP

BigSkillet
Nov 27, 2003
I said teaberry, not sandalwood!
Has there been news anywhere about whether Subterranean Press is going to release a hardcover revision of Teatro Grottesco, or is that collection of interviews their only upcoming Ligotti for the time being?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

BigSkillet posted:

Has there been news anywhere about whether Subterranean Press is going to release a hardcover revision of Teatro Grottesco, or is that collection of interviews their only upcoming Ligotti for the time being?

That one was done by Mythos Books, not Carroll & Graff, so the rights may be a little trickier to unlock; I've heard the guy behind Mythos can be difficult.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Try 'American Elsewhere', it's a pretty decent take on this type of mythos, falls a little flat in the middle but is pretty damned good.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Is John Langan actually any good? Barron recommended him but he also recommended Cody Goodfellow's Radiant Dawn which was okay but not great.

I'm basically looking for stuff that builds the same sense of dread as Barron. I'm finding it hard. :(

Edit: Also, got 50% through Southern Gods, didn't care for it that much. Will probably finish it at some point but didn't really do much for me.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

I read the Wide Carnivorous Sky and it was pretty good but I don't like his stuff as much as Barron's. Langan uses a lot of "experimental" narrative tricks that can be neat when they work out, but I found they sometimes diminish the impact of the story itself. I would still recommend it for a genre fan and I think I will check out his earlier collection at some point.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Langan isn't as good as Barron, but then no one else is, either. I enjoyed his first collection.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Just finished Barron's The Croning. Pretty drat :stare:, but not quite as :stare: as Hallucigenia was. I think it's mainly due to the fact that it was more drawn out, so I couldn't finish it in one sitting. The cumulative :stare: from plowing through Hallucigenia in one go was pretty outstanding.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I think Hallucigenia is better written and overall a better story but there's something about the Children of Old Leech that really creep me out. They are Barron's best malignant alien creation in my opinion. The Croning suffered a bit because some parts felt drawn out - it probably would have worked better in something the length of say, the Light is the Darkness. Still really good, though, as nearly all of Barron's stuff is. Looking forward to more Children of Old Leech stuff - I hope he moves things forward in the overall setting since apparently there's a mass immigration of the Children to Earth taking place.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
The Beautiful Thing That Awaits Us All was pushed back twice via amazon but apparently also just shipped. So yay to new Laird Barron book

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I've finally found an image that encapsulates the feeling of :stare: from a good first-time read of a Lovecraft/Laird Barron story.

YolkEater
Apr 13, 2012
I really enjoy the combination of cosmic horror with the violent, gun totting, noir detective. However, I've seen this archetype shows up far more in games based around HPL's work than in any fiction I've found. I hope I didn't miss this being mentioned but if anyone has a recommendation I would be grateful. Or if you could just point out the recommendations that have already been made that combine the two themes.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I haven't picked it up yet, but you might try the anthology Shotguns vs. Cthulhu, which contains pulpy Cthulhu Mythos stories.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

Have you tried Liminal States by our very own Zack Parsons?

Also, just found this after a google search. It seems to have favorable reviews. The Amulet.

This has met with mixed opinions. Hardboiled Cthulu: Two-Fisted Tales of Tentacled Terror.
You can't beat the subtitle though.

Dr. Benway fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 20, 2013

Fritata Rampage
Aug 16, 2013

The Rat posted:

I am so thankful that you included this last bit. I find that whenever I go on a fairly long Lovecraft read-a-thon, my dream state gets screwed up for days. I had always assumed that this just happened to me. "The Doom that came to Sarnath" and "The Dreams in the Witch House" are the biggest offenders for creating crazy dreams, in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rvm
May 6, 2013

Pththya-lyi posted:

I haven't picked it up yet, but you might try the anthology Shotguns vs. Cthulhu, which contains pulpy Cthulhu Mythos stories.

You can listen to one of the stories from the anthology, "One Small Valuable Thing" by Chad Fifer, read by the author here. It's pretty good.