Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

Short Penguin posted:

Don't worry, mother nature will take care of him, sick gently caress.

Poor tree, though. :smith:

Pretgty sure she already did, seeing as he is long dead now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER

Short Penguin posted:

Oh man. I've seen at least two of them but I couldn't honestly stomach any of the others. D: The mermaid one is kinda sad though, seeing as he actually cares for her (seemingly).

Aquamarine?

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Therefore, to you and only you, you are immortal.

But is it "you" or technically not "you"?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I am Communist posted:

But is it "you" or technically not "you"?

Your consciousness, the one that is experiencing this universe right now, will, according to this theory, at every split (place where there is more than one possible outcome, thus leading to a separate universe for each outcome), follow whichever branch does not end it. Therefore you can't die, it'll always be the other yous that die.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Celery Face posted:

Apparently, they starved those kids to the point where they were digging up the gardens around the schools and eating vegetables that weren't even close to ripe. I also went to an Aboriginal camp earlier this month and I spoke with an elder who mentioned that she went to a Bay school instead of a residential school. At first I thought this was a good thing, but she said it was just as bad. The elder couldn't speak English at the time so a translator had to be in the classroom and the nun who taught the class had a basin with soap and water in it. If you were caught speaking even one word of a First Nations language, the nun would drag you over to the basin, pull on your tongue and scrub it with soap. The nun also whipped kids if they got an answer wrong.

There was also a girl in her early teens from the Bella Bella reserve who said that all of her aunts and uncles still had to be in therapy because of residential schools. I can't believe that poo poo went on until the '90s and the government only apologized for it in 2008. (During the apology, Jack Layton was the only one to outright say that the Canadian government had racist policies towards First Nations.)

One of my instructors wrote a blog post recently (academically sourced too!) about how Canada's treatment of Aboriginals, especially aboriginal children, constituted genocide as defined by the UN Genocide Convention. It's been useful rebuttal material against racist fucks who read the National Post and agree with their editorial that aboriginal kids were taken for their own good.It's amazing how much Canada gets away with the "multicultural and accepting" image given some of the skeletons in our closet (or our continued racism today).

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

Dross posted:

Your consciousness, the one that is experiencing this universe right now, will, according to this theory, at every split (place where there is more than one possible outcome, thus leading to a separate universe for each outcome), follow whichever branch does not end it. Therefore you can't die, it'll always be the other yous that die.

The number of "you"'s in this case would be infinite, but also the "you"'s that didn't exist in the first place would also be infinite, right along with the "you"'s that were immortal would also be infinite. All possible "you"'s would be immortal, dead, living and non existing at the same time.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

Dross posted:

The jokes on "you" though. Because it's me. It's been me the whole time.

utada
Jun 6, 2006

I had the craziest dream last night. I was dancing the White Swan.

bradzilla posted:

I was reading the badass pictures thread, and the topic of Space Disasters came up. The post in question:

Now that's a loving badass story. Unfortunately space disasters don't always turn out well for the crew.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz_1
From the moment this ship launched, it had problems. They were able to make it work, and the astronaut orbited the Earth for 19 days before aborting due to continued technical issues. The Russians had modified the heat shield to be bigger, and thus the parachute was also bigger. What they failed to do was enlarge the compartment where the chute was stored. Because it didn't fit, the parachute didn't deploy on re-entry into the atmosphere, sending the astronaut literally plummeting from space to the Earth's surface, killed on impact.

What I always found interesting about the Soviet space program was the amount of secrecy surrounding it. Not that NASA was exactly open about their failures, but if a Soviet ship crashed and the authorities could get a handle on it, they could cover it up fairly well. So when the Soviet archives were opened, a lot of previously secret information was made public.

For the Soyuz 1 launch, Yuri Gagarin, hero of the Soviet Union, was the backup pilot. He and the primary pilot, Vladimir Komarov, had deep reservations about the flight. So much so that Gagarin wrote a letter to Brezhnev, outlining his concerns. The letter was ignored. Then Gagarin tried to get Komarov to step down, thinking that Soviet leaders wouldn't risk killing him. But Komarov was certain that those same leaders would send Gagarin up anyways so he said that he would remain as pilot, knowing that he would die, because he didn't want Gagarin to die.

There's also this (highly contested) report that says NSA agents in Turkey were listening in on the flight and heard Komarov's death, and that he used his last words to curse Soviet officials. Some say it's a hoax, others say that the recording is true. What do you guys think? (Also, the link has a picture of Komarov's charred remains so if that thing might bother you, you should probably skip it.)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

MadMattH posted:

The number of "you"'s in this case would be infinite, but also the "you"'s that didn't exist in the first place would also be infinite, right along with the "you"'s that were immortal would also be infinite. All possible "you"'s would be immortal, dead, living and non existing at the same time.

Yeah, and it's viewing this from the perspective of yourself, right now, a subjective view, that makes it seem like immortality - your subjective experience will, if this is a correct interpretation of quantum mechanics, continue existing in a straight and uninterrupted line until you run up against something that would have a 100% chance of killing you.

utada posted:

Soviet Space Program Stuff

The best part was that they tried to pretend that they didn't even have a moon rocket program after we got to the moon first - they claimed it was all ~tactical misdirection~ to fool those dumb Americans into wasting a bunch of money. Even now we don't have many good videos of the N1 exploding because they destroyed the parts of the film that contained 'failures'.

Shame Boy has a new favorite as of 07:45 on Aug 3, 2013

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

The Y2K problem.
I know a lot of goons probably remember this as it happened but I was only in grade school at the time. For some reason it's slightly unnerving to consider in my opinion. I always thought it was overhyped and that nothing actually happened, but no:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2000_problem

"In Sheffield, United Kingdom, incorrect Down syndrome test results were sent to 154 pregnant women and two abortions were carried out as a direct result of a Y2K bug. Four Down's syndrome babies were also born to mothers who had been told they were in the low-risk group."

Also,

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
EDIT: Oh wait nevermind I'm stating the obvious, duh.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 15:26 on Aug 3, 2013

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Inevitable posted:

The jokes on "you" though. Because it's me. It's been me the whole time.

Is it getting a little solipsistic in here or is it just me?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Dross posted:

Is it getting a little solipsistic in here or is it just me?

It's me Austin. It was me all along, Austin.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Has there been any development with the Tylenol killer? That was really interesting.

utada
Jun 6, 2006

I had the craziest dream last night. I was dancing the White Swan.

Blimpkin posted:

Has there been any development with the Tylenol killer? That was really interesting.

:psyduck: Why do you have so many gang tags?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

utada posted:

All of his "yous" from different quantum realities have been collecting them. They exist or don't exist depending on whether or not they're observed.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Cordyceps Headache posted:

Hey, that's like what just came out about the Canadian Indian residential school system that basically stole aboriginal children until the '90s.

I haven't been on the thread in a few days, and as such I am still a few pages behind, and so if this was brought up, I apologize. When I read this, I immediately felt compelled to share this:

I was reading Vice earlier today when I cam across two pieces they have done about this system. In both they describe the horrific methods used on First Nations children who were in their care, including various types of both physical and sexual abuse, sometimes as unimaginably cruel forcible circumcision without anesthetic or antiseptic. While both talk about the general evils committed, one focuses more on the Canadian government covering it all up, while the other is an interview with the unfortunate man who experienced the penis mutilation (Note: While I advocate the end of the practice of circumcision, I would never use language as loaded as "penis mutilation" to refer to a healthy, hospitalized and non-malicious scenario, such as the common practice in US hospitals. However, that's not really the conversation at hand, only a specification.)

These abuses really struck a horrifying chord with me, because I have personal reasons for all of these things to haunt me. I'm positive that they are still terrifying in a general sense to pretty much anyone else, though.

Edit: I see now that many of the horrors mentioned in these two links have, indeed, been brought up. However, I didn't see where either of these links are duplicates, so they should be fine.

Terra-da-loo! has a new favorite as of 17:32 on Aug 4, 2013

Hormones
May 9, 2009
Not Wikipedia but I hope it's okay.

Here's a really great documentary on the Canadian residential schools, particularly in British Columbia.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Hormones posted:

Not Wikipedia but I hope it's okay.

Here's a really great documentary on the Canadian residential schools, particularly in British Columbia.

I think that at this point, it has been general accepted that the title of this thread is more of a suggestion than a guideline. I could be wrong, but I think as long as the wiki is posted, if possible, at least once, elaboration using other sites is acceptable.

Anyway, thanks for this. I am not Canadian, but I have Catawba heritage and was brought up hearing a lot about it and the mistreatment by the hands of settlers (though the Catawba had it relatively easy, by comparison). I also experienced about ten years of abuse during the beginning of my life, so for those two reasons, this story has really captured my attention. I am surprised I hadn't heard about it before earlier today, and though it's sad in general it's also sort of shocking to a US citizen that hears about how great Canada is all the time for us to hear about all the truly bizarre, dark and hosed up stuff that totally goes on there and just doesn't get a lot of attention down here. I also have reason for the circumcision aspect of the story to really matter to me, but I feel like I've already mentioned plenty about that.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
The US boarding schools for Native children were also terrible; this documentary is :smith: as hell. Australia has a lovely record of abusing indigenous children by forced relocation, too.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

AlbieQuirky posted:

The US boarding schools for Native children were also terrible; this documentary is :smith: as hell. Australia has a lovely record of abusing indigenous children by forced relocation, too.

Yeah, it was pretty extensive in Australia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_Generations

quote:

The Stolen Generations (also known as Stolen children) were the children of Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent who were removed from their families by the Australian Federal and State government agencies and church missions, under acts of their respective parliaments. The removals occurred in the period between approximately 1909[1] and 1969,[2][3] although in some places children were still being taken until the 1970s.[4][5][6]

quote:

By around the age of 18 the children were released from government control and where it was available were sometimes allowed to view their government file. According to the testimony of one Aboriginal person:

I was requested to attend at the Sunshine Welfare Offices, where they formerly (sic) discharged me from State wardship. It took the Senior Welfare Officer a mere 20 minutes to come clean, and tell me everything that my heart had always wanted to know...that I was of 'Aboriginal descent', that I had a Natural mother, father, three brothers and a sister, who were alive...He placed in front of me 368 pages of my file, together with letters, photos and birthday cards. He informed me that my surname would change back to my Mother's maiden name of Angus.[46]

The Bringing Them Home report condemned the policy of disconnecting children from their "cultural heritage". Said one witness to the commission:

I've got everything that could be reasonably expected: a good home environment, education, stuff like that, but that's all material stuff. It's all the non-material stuff that I didn't have — the lineage… You know, you've just come out of nowhere; there you are.[37]

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

utada posted:

If you play video games with mods, occasionally they may do things to your account.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Yeah, it was pretty extensive in Australia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_Generations

quote:

I was requested to attend at the Sunshine Welfare Offices

Just in case anyone is having difficulty parsing this, in this context 'Sunshine' is a place (specifcally,a suburb of Melbourne, in Australia's south east), not an adjective.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Dross posted:

Putting it mildly this is a complete and total mindfuck.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Jesus. I knew that pretty much all institutions of the sort were awful. I didn't, however, know that it was such a widespread issue. Well, drat, now I'm sad. :smith:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Zombie Raptor posted:

Jesus. I knew that pretty much all institutions of the sort were awful. I didn't, however, know that it was such a widespread issue. Well, drat, now I'm sad. :smith:

This whole thread is basically people_are_shit.txt

I've read this whole thing over the course of a week or so and I hate humanity that little bit more because of it. This thread is bad for your mental health.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Zombie Raptor posted:

Referring back to my earlier post linking to the blog, the systemic theft and abuse of aboriginal children in English settler countries probably constitutes the largest unrecognised genocide today. People avoid the topic whenever it's brought up, but the goal behind it all was always forcible assimilating in an effort to eradicate native cultures. I always here people complain when the word genocide is used in this context, but it is explicitely what the intent of these policies was.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The moral of the story is that's it's only genocide if you don't succeed. The genocided don't get to write history.

The afrikaners merely managed to segregate the bantus. The spanish, while perfectly happy to work entire populations to death in the silver mines, were never that concerned about emigration or miscegenation. It's the english settler countries that succeeded in rendering the local aboriginal populations economically and politically irrelevant.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Cordyceps Headache posted:

Referring back to my earlier post linking to the blog, the systemic theft and abuse of aboriginal children in English settler countries probably constitutes the largest unrecognised genocide today. People avoid the topic whenever it's brought up, but the goal behind it all was always forcible assimilating in an effort to eradicate native cultures. I always here people complain when the word genocide is used in this context, but it is explicitely what the intent of these policies was.

I remember being taught in history class that at one point the Australian government viewed Aboriginal peoples as native fauna and expected them to die out due to population decline (caused completely and utterly by the european invasion) or intergrate completely (as in, completely - no defining features or culture - all to be replaced by glorious european genes and culture) into the european society. As a result they instituted protectionism laws which directly contributed to the kidnapping of children - the stolen generation; which, by the way, was only apologised officially for by the government in 2008. The children of the stolen generation were kidnapped between 1909 and 1969. The previous prime minister before the apology refused to do such an apology because "Australians of this generation should not be required to accept guilt and blame for past actions and policies". Australian mistreatment of Aboriginal peoples is a national drat disgrace.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Sadly, I can't say I'm all that surprised by all of these extreme abuses of aboriginal peoples by European settlers. Like someone else mentioned, after reading this thread, one becomes so desensitized to the horrors of the world that you sort of expect this sort of awfulness. That, of course, does not excuse it--obviously.

I know it's not really on par with the other stories of mistreatment of natives, but my great grandfather was a Catawba shaman on a reservation, and upon leaving the reservation, they made sure to anglicize his name from John Greenarrow to James Orr. Not really sure why they chose that name, honestly, especially since it's not even the same first name. Anyway, I mention it because he had a really hard time coping with life after they changed his name entirely.

As for something unnerving:

It isn't gory or violent or anything, and it has been all over the news lately, but one of the most recent leaks by Edward Snowden revealed a NSA program called XKeyscore. There's tons of information about it online, now, and I'm sure that the program knows that, as it seems to know all. It's basically the ultimate piece of spyware. It is seriously unnerving to me. It's not that I have anything I want to hide, per se, but as someone who is always looking at really weird poo poo online (which is a strange, unwritten requisite for a goon), it'd be easy for the government to totally misunderstand my actions. However, here is a Google search (because I didn't know which article would be the best for it) about a NY couple who separately, at their places of work, serched for pressure cookers and backpacks. While they were totally innocent and were still raided, it gives me a little comfort to know that they were raided because they did those searches at work, and because they could be used for terrorism. I still find it all rather unnerving, though. I like privacy.

Terra-da-loo! has a new favorite as of 18:36 on Aug 5, 2013

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Oh crap, does clicking that link count as searching for pressure cookers and backpacks? :ohdear:

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Manslaughter posted:

Oh crap, does clicking that link count as searching for pressure cookers and backpacks? :ohdear:

I thought about that, too. I doubt it, though. I think XKeyscore will know the story well enough by now. But here's to hoping it doesn't flag us.

EDIT: In an effort to make this a better post, let me add something that's creepy as gently caress. The "Ghost Rapes" in a Mennonite colony in Bolivia. I know it's not a Wikipedia article, but from my observation, that doesn't really matter as long as the link is still relevant, and since this is incredibly unnerving to me, I think it fits the criteria. It is fairly lengthy, too, and because of that I haven't even finished reading it. However, it gets plenty creepy enough to qualify for this thread in the first few paragraphs alone.

Terra-da-loo! has a new favorite as of 20:00 on Aug 5, 2013

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you read the updates, though, it's not Google who put two and two together and tipped someone off. The guy's place of work saw his searches (because your IT guys can see all your internet traffic) and called the cops because they were concerned after he was let go. The original blog post is very misleading.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Another horrifying case of sexual abuse going unchecked was on Pitcairn Island, an extremely remote British territory with just a few dozen inhabitants. Most of the island's inhabitants were interrelated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitcairn_sexual_assault_trial_of_2004

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Anne Whateley posted:

If you read the updates, though, it's not Google who put two and two together and tipped someone off. The guy's place of work saw his searches (because your IT guys can see all your internet traffic) and called the cops because they were concerned after he was let go. The original blog post is very misleading.

Yeah, I read about that, as well. I think i tried to mention that the searches took place at his place of employment, but you're right. XKeyscore probably has nothing to do with the fed checking these guys out. In this case it has been made obvious that it was the boss that caught the searches and then contacted the police.

As for awful sexual abuse going unchecked, the link I posted in my last edit is quite relevant. No one would do anything about the rapes, and they wrote it off on, essentially, hysteria. Had anyone given a poo poo enough to look into it when it began, they would have found that these girls were being drugged and raped, and they could have prevented a lot of future rapes. But there's a lot more to this story than that. It's a really good read, albeit a depressing one.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Zombie Raptor posted:

I know it's not really on par with the other stories of mistreatment of natives, but my great grandfather was a Catawba shaman on a reservation, and upon leaving the reservation, they made sure to anglicize his name from John Greenarrow to James Orr. Not really sure why they chose that name, honestly, especially since it's not even the same first name. Anyway, I mention it because he had a really hard time coping with life after they changed his name entirely.

That is terrible. And yet, because I am 99% composed of gallows humor, it also reminded me of the scene in the novel An Beal Bocht (The Poor Mouth) by Myles na gCopaleen/Flann O' Brien/Brian O'Nolan where the schoolmaster changes the Irish names of all his students to "Jams O'Donnell".

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Phobophilia posted:

The spanish, while perfectly happy to work entire populations to death in the silver mines, were never that concerned about emigration or miscegenation.

I think you should read up on castas. Also the difference between criollos and peninsulares.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

AlbieQuirky posted:

That is terrible. And yet, because I am 99% composed of gallows humor, it also reminded me of the scene in the novel An Beal Bocht (The Poor Mouth) by Myles na gCopaleen/Flann O' Brien/Brian O'Nolan where the schoolmaster changes the Irish names of all his students to "Jams O'Donnell".
Jesus Christ, another Flann O' Brian fan. My mom turned me on to At Swim Two Birds when I was an undergrad. :hfive:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

ibntumart posted:

I think you should read up on castas. Also the difference between criollos and peninsulares.

Man, that's complex. Yeah, I made a massive oversimplification here, but my point was that there was a shitload more emigration from britain to north america than from the iberians to south america.

And thanks for that link, there are so many different backgrounds you could ascribe yourself to in the spanish colonies. I mean, there was still alot of discrimination and poverty and class conflict, but there was no real shame of belonging to any particular group. Contrast this to the anglo colonies, you were either aboriginal or white, no shades of grey. If you were the former, you were untermensch, I remember reading about australian aboriginals calling themselves south-asian indians just to avoid the worse of the discrimination. Hence, if you were the latter, you suppressed any evidence of the former. Of course, there were exceptions, there's the old cliche of claiming you had native descent from some "cherokee princess", but I'm personally convinced that Americans only said that because they considered it socially acceptable for a brave manly settler to conquer the exotic foreign woman, while the opposite was considered terrifying.

Phobophilia has a new favorite as of 00:50 on Aug 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ignimbrite posted:

I remember being taught in history class that at one point the Australian government viewed Aboriginal peoples as native fauna and expected them to die out due to population decline (caused completely and utterly by the european invasion) or intergrate completely (as in, completely - no defining features or culture - all to be replaced by glorious european genes and culture) into the european society. As a result they instituted protectionism laws which directly contributed to the kidnapping of children - the stolen generation; which, by the way, was only apologised officially for by the government in 2008. The children of the stolen generation were kidnapped between 1909 and 1969. The previous prime minister before the apology refused to do such an apology because "Australians of this generation should not be required to accept guilt and blame for past actions and policies". Australian mistreatment of Aboriginal peoples is a national drat disgrace.

The phrase used in the popular press at the time was "a drop of ink in a bucket of milk".

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_of_Indigenous_Australians

The last actual hunt was in the 1920s (yes, organised missions to go out and massacre "aggressive" natives, mostly for killing stock for food) at least according to Wikipedia. I recall my lecturer in aboriginal studies saying something about one of these occurring somewhere up north in Western Australia sometime in the 60s, though I can't find the reference right now. He stressed that there were still people alive who remembered it all too vividly. And we (white Australia) wonder why aboriginal people have such a hard time just getting over it.

To be fair there's fairly intense debate over the word "genocide" and how reliable some of these accounts were (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_wars). But there's no doubt it was not at all bloodless and peaceful. Not to mention the whole ripping children away from their families and trying to make them white thing.

I wish I didn't know so much about this.

I love my country and most people here are generous, kind, good people. I honestly believe we have one of the best cultures in the world. But drat as a country we have some things to be ashamed of.

• Locked thread