Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bellmaker posted:

Hmm... there was a broken aquarium at the scene. It'd take a lot of muscle to bludgeon someone to death with it (or shove their head through it).

I dunno, I could see it happening - Satou catches Kurzuyuu off guard, Kurzuyuu stumbles backward, falls, and crashes right into the aquarium, head-first.

Requested_Username posted:

They should've made Togami's cross turkey legs

Crossed meat skewers. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oliver Crowley
Apr 28, 2013

Consult your pineal gland, schmuck.
After I noticed the knife and fork, I looked closer at the other two dead people's portraits.
Call me crazy, but Mahiru's looks like chalk to me while Togami's is drippy and like two fast splashes of too much paint.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

DaveWoo posted:

I dunno, I could see it happening - Satou catches Kurzuyuu off guard, Kurzuyuu stumbles backward, falls, and crashes right into the aquarium, head-first.

The aquarium contained a giant fish. Owari bludgeoned the victim to death with it, then ate it to destroy the evidence. :v:

Flocci
May 29, 2013

Terrible and bland.
Murder weapon is clearly the piano. E-ko was so bad at playing it Kuzuryuu's sister bashed her own head against the window and/or aquarium.

On a more serious note, E-ko did say she strangled Kuzuryuu's sister until she lost consciousness, so E-ko could've just pushed the aquarium, which was conveniently placed on a nearby stand, onto her head while she was passed out on the floor.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Feb 18, 2014

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Is it just me or has Souda been acting really strangely throughout this portion of the trial? He's been really condescending and sarcastic.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Brannock posted:

Is it just me or has Souda been acting really strangely throughout this portion of the trial? He's been really condescending and sarcastic.

Well as of late he has more or less been a straight man plus it seems he is getting use to the situation.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
I think the stolen swimsuit was the murder weapon. It was "stolen" to hide it. I also just can't imagine what else it could be used for as a piece of evidence or why else it would be missing.

i300
Dec 30, 2012

There's something wrong with a 14-year old girl talking about all this sperm...

QueerPope posted:

I think the stolen swimsuit was the murder weapon. It was "stolen" to hide it. I also just can't imagine what else it could be used for as a piece of evidence or why else it would be missing.

How would you kill someone via blunt force with a swimsuit? Kuzuryuu's sister was obviously smashed on the head.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

i300 posted:

How would you kill someone via blunt force with a swimsuit? Kuzuryuu's sister was obviously smashed on the head.

Put something heavy (gravel?) inside the suit, tie it off, wield it like a flail.

Peachsprite
Jul 1, 2013

QueerPope posted:

I think the whole reason they stole the swimsuit was just to convince everyone else that the killer was just some pervert and not one of the students.

Torino
Mar 6, 2013

If I could find a way to put my own soul into a computer, that would surely create a true “strong AI”...

i300 posted:

Using it like a slingshot? With what exactly, I'm not sure.
Or maybe it was the piano.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Ice, clearly. Mix it in with the broken aquarium and no one will notice. Oldest trick in the book.

...that actually sounds half-plausible, although I meant it as a joke.

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013

RoeCocoa posted:

Put something heavy (gravel?) inside the suit, tie it off, wield it like a flail.

Yup, this is the conclusion I just came to as well. After she strangled Kuzuryuu's sister, she broke the aquarium, put the gravel from it in the swimsuit, tied it up, and used it to bludgeon the unconscious girl to death. Then she untied the swimsuit, poured the gravel out onto the ground around the broken aquarium to make it seem like the pervert just knocked it over in the rush to escape, and burnt the swimsuit, most probably in the incinerator that was shown in the school courtyard. Of course, the missing swimsuit also functions to blame the pervert, but I think the gravel+swimsuit combo is the only theory that explains away the evidence bullets we got that are still unaccounted for (missing swimsuit and broken aquarium with gravel scattered all around it).

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Seems strange that Kuzuryuu would be so eager to blame the others for killing his sister based on the packet Monobear gave him but then seem to deny that any of it even happened when it came to the courtroom.

Peko has now denied any knowledge of the game, which possibly could be used to trip her up later (or it's just a red herring).

As for evidence that may arise during the trial: What's on Koizumi's camera now? It seems possible that she actually had it with her at the time of death and the killer, or someone else, returned it to her cottage. Might well be a 'broken vase' on there.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

orenronen posted:

I drew a map of the first crime scene: the music room and its surroundings.
...That's unexpectedly diligent of you.
Hmf... Mapping is an essential skill for a retro-game fan, you know.
Old school dungeon-crawling RPGs had a first person camera, so mapping as you went was a fundamental skill to have.
Argh! Keep this discussion for some other time and concentrate on the case!

As an avid fan of first person dungeon crawlers and other retro games I really like how they used an obscure gaming skill for this trial. Makes all those pages of graph paper and excel spreadsheets worth it just for that joke.

I'm also really digging this murder within a murder trial. Solving the Twilight Syndrome murder is pretty relaxing when you forget that if they don't solve this one properly they might not get the real murder solved and everyone dies.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Kangra posted:

Peko has now denied any knowledge of the game, which possibly could be used to trip her up later (or it's just a red herring).

The subtitles on the video have her claiming she never played it, but she actually said she never cleared it.

I'm wondering if somehow the camera could be the blunt weapon.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Peko was really eager to jump in with the by the way guys I didn't play that game just so you all know. She's probably the person I suspect the most due to Kuzuryu being far to obvious.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Austrian mook posted:

Peko was really eager to jump in with the by the way guys I didn't play that game just so you all know. She's probably the person I suspect the most due to Kuzuryu being far to obvious.

When a character in the story itself says that it being Kuzuryuu would be far too obvious and boring, you know they're being set up as a red herring. Or a double red herring I guess.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Clarste posted:

When a character in the story itself says that it being Kuzuryuu would be far too obvious and boring, you know they're being set up as a red herring. Or a double red herring I guess.

No, it's gotta be a triple red herring.

Goddammit Onenronen you see what you're doing to us?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Austrian mook posted:

No, it's gotta be a triple red herring.

And the real thing he's a red herring for is that it was a literal red herring all along!

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

The aquarium contained a giant fish. Owari bludgeoned the victim to death with it, then ate it to destroy the evidence. :v:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I like that for the first part, they're doing this Twilight Murder Mystery as a How-Dun-It, and not a whodunit.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Could someone remind me how we know that Kuzuryuu has a younger sister? The evidence used in the trial doesn't state this and I can't remember if it came up before. When that option in the trial came up with "He had a younger sister" and "He had an older sister", it probably would have tripped me up.

I'm guessing that the use of the word "imouto" during the trial is supposed to be important here?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Could someone remind me how we know that Kuzuryuu has a younger sister? The evidence used in the trial doesn't state this and I can't remember if it came up before. When that option in the trial came up with "He had a younger sister" and "He had an older sister", it probably would have tripped me up.

I'm guessing that the use of the word "imouto" during the trial is supposed to be important here?

When Kuzuryuu first mentioned his sister back in update #41, our translation explicitly called her his "little sister".

In Japanese, the words for big sister and little sister are different, so normally when you're talking about sisters at all this information is there. Keeping the "little" and "big" in the translation all the time results in some unnatural English dialogue, though, so it's common to drop them when it's not relevant to the topic at hand. That said, it did lead to one strange transition in this update so I may retcon a fix when I have time. This isn't a big deal, in any case.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Back in update 41.

orenronen posted:

...It's not like the family will go to ruin without me there, anyway. My little sister will be more than happy to take my place.

e;fb

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Yup, I knew it must have been mentioned before somewhere because I remembered it from earlier. I think it just bothered me that the people at the trial who hadn't played the game immediately assumed it was a younger sister, based on the translation. In an english language sense, just saying "sister" can be kind of ambiguous.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

orenronen posted:

She may be related to Tanaka! They both have cliched Japanese surnames!

I hope she's not serious...

Tanaka may be a common surname, but it is leagues beyond Satou or Suzuki!

He... seems to be pretty agitated about this.

Hinata's expression really made this part great. How common is Suzuki as a surname anyway?

zetsubous
Feb 19, 2013

xxlicious posted:

Yup, this is the conclusion I just came to as well. After she strangled Kuzuryuu's sister, she broke the aquarium, put the gravel from it in the swimsuit, tied it up, and used it to bludgeon the unconscious girl to death. Then she untied the swimsuit, poured the gravel out onto the ground around the broken aquarium to make it seem like the pervert just knocked it over in the rush to escape, and burnt the swimsuit, most probably in the incinerator that was shown in the school courtyard. Of course, the missing swimsuit also functions to blame the pervert, but I think the gravel+swimsuit combo is the only theory that explains away the evidence bullets we got that are still unaccounted for (missing swimsuit and broken aquarium with gravel scattered all around it).

If this is the case, I'm going to be pretty bewildered, because I think y'all are seriously underestimating the amount of time and effort it would take to do something like that as opposed to just... bashing her head against the aquarium and being done with it.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

RefinedUndefined posted:

Hinata's expression really made this part great. How common is Suzuki as a surname anyway?

According to Wikipedia, it's the second most common surname in Japan (Satou being the most common.)

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

RoeCocoa posted:

Glass vase? No, in the next room, would have made too much noise.
Something in the piano? No one checked, to my knowledge.

...What's the outside of the window like? Could the killer have gotten to the next room over, which wasn't locked, and used that? Did E-ko go all secret agent on us and freeclimb on the outside of a school building?
It'd put the vase theory back on the table. Vase is used to commit murder, climb the window rapidly, dump it in the next room over and toss the swimsuit somewhere to dispose of it later.

...Could the swimsuit have been in the piano?

quote:

It was the sound of that vase breaking... probably.

That "probably" has alarm bells going all kinds of crazy, imo. Maybe the glass was actually the aquarium, somehow?

But as for the rest of the mystery... Summary, to organize thoughts.

Day 1, E-ko is panting when the rest of the crew gets there because she just did a marathon sprint from *somewhere* to the front of the room. No reason for her to be out of breath if she was calmly walking by (as she claimed). But we've already (probably) established that she's the murderer from the evidence given.
I'm betting something REALLY fishy (pun apologies in advance) about the way the aquarium broke. See how it's only broken in a single place, but the rest is perfectly fine? It's almost like it got hit with something and THEN broke, but I could be grasping at straws here. Moving on.
They find the body, pervert did a hit and run, yadda yadda.

Day 2, E-ko comments that there were "stolen swimsuits" plural. Again, possibly nothing, noting everything that might be of importance.
And then, when noted that the pictures exist, E-ko gets crazy and rips 'em up. SOMETHING on there is damning against whatever she's trying to do here.
E-ko also makes comments about not wanting to drop out due to something like murder, but that might just be the nerves talking (or possibly motivation for the crime?)

Day 3, D-ko confronts E-ko with evidence about the vase. Says she wished she'd trust her.
Something about Dead Girl being a troublesome other member of the photography club, doing things she wanted to do.
F-suke manages to find out about the picture, draws the conclusion that the vase... well, yeah.

But one line that seems very important...

quote:

But then, she... She said she was going to go after me too...

Emphasis mine. Who was dead girl going after in the first place, D-ko?
E-ko said she strangled her and then made sure she wouldn't wake up.
Is D... somehow responsible?

In which case, would Little Mafioso here commit a murder over that? How could he, he was in the cafe...

Complete aside, I'm thinking it's ninja chick that committed the murder. Leaped the gap, climbed the wall, balanced on her sword, she got out through that goddamn window... AND whoever committed the murder framed the kid, gummis and all, after the kid ran out following her front row seat of a goddamn execution.

So
-Photographer was murdered because... she had something to do with E? She didn't turn E in, despite photos, so would F be angry enough to commit murder on her over that, or is there something else?

Gah. If that's the case Little Mafioso has the motivation but can't be the culprit. Back to square one.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

PAMaster posted:

That "probably" has alarm bells going all kinds of crazy, imo. Maybe the glass was actually the aquarium, somehow?

The "...probably" is just a speech pattern, Nanami's said it a few times before. It's usually used as a joke in anime, like, "There's no chance this could kill you! ...probably." Here it seems to be more Nanami always wanting to add qualifiers to everything.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.
Is that another random JoJo reference I see?

I also love how there are coconuts lying around the room now. Ties in with the chapter title and all.

And man, is it just me, or Monobear is even more involved in this trial than in DR1's last one?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

SingerOfW posted:

And man, is it just me, or Monobear is even more involved in this trial than in DR1's last one?

He's just really, really excited to have his murder mystery unfold the way he wants it to.

ShallowKnave
Sep 9, 2011
Fun Shoe

orenronen posted:

But... D-ko-san went to fetch that same key from the staff room just a short while later, didn't she?

I hope Sonia doesn't try to claim later on that she hadn't played Twilight Syndrome Murder Mystery.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
The swimsuit was stolen because it was bloody... maybe! Holy cow, I hope I'm not actually right about Sonia, but it seems like she's played the game, which means she had the information possible to have committed the murder.

They're really painting Kuzuryuu as the killer this early, so its probably either Peko or Sonia, in my opinion.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

ShallowKnave posted:

I hope Sonia doesn't try to claim later on that she hadn't played Twilight Syndrome Murder Mystery.

Nah, Sonia's just repeating what Nanami said a few lines earlier:

orenronen posted:

But, the door to the music room was locked.
D-ko went to retrieve a key from the staff room, and the 5 girls were able to enter the music room.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

PAMaster posted:

Emphasis mine. Who was dead girl going after in the first place, D-ko?
E-ko said she strangled her and then made sure she wouldn't wake up.
Is D... somehow responsible?

We don't yet have confirmation that F-suke really killed E-ko. In fact, at the end of Day 3 his intention is to make E-Ko talk to find out the truth. His exact words are "What did that girl... do to my sister?! I have to make her talk... And if what I'm suspecting is true..." Which doesn't really flow with the events of Day 4, where we have an assault out of nowhere on E-ko. I think the game is definitely trying to pull a fast one by showing us day 2 and 4, then 1 and 3 a few updates later.

Wild blatant speculation: Reading the events of days 1,2,3, and 4 in order, D-ko covered up the murder by hiding the broken vase she had photographed. What if she did so to protect herself, and not E-ko, due to the antagonistic relationship Koizumi and Kuzuryuu's sister had? She and E-ko definitely aren't happily keeping the secret together at the end of Day 3. Maybe Koizumi killed D-ko herself to keep it all a secret, which would by coincidence stop Kuzuryuu from making her talk. In that case, kira kira is really here and killed Koizumi for justice.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Despite how outrageous the characters can be sometimes, I do appreciate their reactions in this situation. Like not caring about the details of the sub-mystery, and Souda actually calling out Monomi's weird aside with Monobear. It feels a bit more realistic than what I remember from DR1.

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013

zetsubous posted:

If this is the case, I'm going to be pretty bewildered, because I think y'all are seriously underestimating the amount of time and effort it would take to do something like that as opposed to just... bashing her head against the aquarium and being done with it.

Satou strangled the victim until she passed out, remember? She'd have quite some time to set up. In any case, it's possible that her rationale was to make it look like the pervert ran away with the murder weapon. And I think that having a flail to bash someone with is easier than picking up an entire limp body and try and bash it to death on the aquarium that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asthanius
Dec 26, 2012

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
I wasn't sure before, but now I really feel like this may be important in some way:
Does anybody else think that the dead girl looks a lot like Sonia?

They both have blonde hair that is styled in the same way, but mirrored. They both even have the same length of hair in the center (the part that's over the dead girl's eye). The difference in length can be easily explained away by the amount of time between the events in the game and now. Additionally, Sonia is also wearing a red bow around her neck.

While it's possible that this is just a coincidence, it's really the hairstyles that convince me. Every character in the game has a unique hairstyle except for these two. I'm not sure how to fit in the fact that this girl is Kuzuryuu's little sister who is apparently dead, but

She's not easy to kill.
The one flaw in this (and I must admit, it's a pretty big flaw), is that we never saw Kuzuryuu express surprise or anything at seeing Sonia, even though she looks quite a bit like his sister. But keep in mind that we woke up pretty late, so maybe he was surprised to see her initially. We may never know.

Also, I get a Celestia Ludenberg-vibe from her, in that she's supposed to be foreign, but I can't shake the feeling that she's not. I feel like she may actually be a SHSL Pop Culturist or something.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just spouting nonsense. What do you all think?

• Locked thread