Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I'm holding out hope they either let you register your module keys in Steam or give you Steam keys on their site so you can register them. Though if they do go this route I wonder how they'll handle Flaming Cliffs 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uselessness
Mar 29, 2005

This really pisses me
off to no end
Slippery Tilde
I guess they would have to give you Steam keys for the FC3 planes they're making as standalone products - e.g. A-10A, SU-25 and the rest of the FC3 aircraft as they add them. They're effectively being merged into FC3 anyway. The standalone versions are an effort to circumvent Ubisoft's LOMAC shenanigans anyway, I suppose. It's a pretty lovely barrier to entry - to require an often tricky game to acquire to be installed - a game that doesn't even have license keys itself, so it's really not an indication of anything. I don't think they intended to do an individual version of all of them, but it's probably in their best interest to just do 3d cockpits and advanced flight models for all of the fc3 planes eventually.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
They've stated they plan on doing the A-10A, F-15C, Su-27, and Su-25 as their own modules, which leaves out the Su-33 (unless that one is bundled with the Su-27) and the three MiG-29s. They stated those four were the ones coming "later this year" so maybe those are the ones that are going to be completed by December and they'll do the rest after.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Uselessness posted:

No way to get the Huey into the Steam version either which is another shame

This is a lie, the vast majority of Train Sim DLC is third-party. It just has to be approved by the publisher iirc.

Uselessness
Mar 29, 2005

This really pisses me
off to no end
Slippery Tilde
I meant currently, in its beta form - not in terms of licensing. No doubt, it will be there at release.

Edit - it seems they've come up with something. Hope it's the ability to import keys.

Uselessness fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 3, 2013

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Steam has plenty of games in alpha and beta. Early Access. Don't see why a mostly functionally complete beta DLC/module could not be sold as well.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Uselessness posted:

I guess they would have to give you Steam keys for the FC3 planes they're making as standalone products - e.g. A-10A, SU-25 and the rest of the FC3 aircraft as they add them. They're effectively being merged into FC3 anyway. The standalone versions are an effort to circumvent Ubisoft's LOMAC shenanigans anyway, I suppose. It's a pretty lovely barrier to entry - to require an often tricky game to acquire to be installed - a game that doesn't even have license keys itself, so it's really not an indication of anything. I don't think they intended to do an individual version of all of them, but it's probably in their best interest to just do 3d cockpits and advanced flight models for all of the fc3 planes eventually.

Are the cockpits in the FC3 planes fully rendered or is it like the SU-25T where you have a flat texture for your control panels?

Uselessness
Mar 29, 2005

This really pisses me
off to no end
Slippery Tilde
Some are fully 3d right now - A-10A, F-15C, SU-27, SU-25 are the ones I believe. Here's an example of the su-27. Even the SU-25T is eventually going to get an upgrade to a 3d, 6dof cockpit too - they've said. As they make individual products out of them, I expect they'll continue with the rest. Should note that none of these have interactable cockpits, still.

Steam early access - yeah, I the only thing I wasn't sure of was whether early access dlc was possible, I hadn't seen it before - but apparently it is possible. So I agree, ED and their third parties just need to commit to it and get their poo poo together.

Uselessness fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 3, 2013

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax
Speaking of, I thought "advanced flight model" meant everything would be clickable and functioning like in the A10C, but I can't click on anything in the A10A?

Uselessness
Mar 29, 2005

This really pisses me
off to no end
Slippery Tilde

Mr. Mallory posted:

Speaking of, I thought "advanced flight model" meant everything would be clickable and functioning like in the A10C, but I can't click on anything in the A10A?

Yeah it's not the clearest terminology, the advanced flight model as I understand it means it's based on physics, rather than the more basic Flaming Cliffs crafts that are more scripted - they're limited in their flight dynamics compared to what they might be capable of using the AFM. This includes details like damage modelling - if you bumble a landing in a Mig-29S (simple flight model) you'll likely just explode. If you bumble a landing in the A-10A, the landing gear will crumple and break, you'll skid - the physics allows that to happen.

I recommend watching 30 seconds or so of this video for an official - if brief - explanation/example of the damage modelling in action. As demonstrated there, even the SU-25T has an advanced flight model - but it doesn't have a 3d cockpit (yet).

I don't think ED even have a term for the highest fidelity simulation modules with the interactable cockpits. Study Sim maybe, but they don't seem to use it themselves, I've picked that up elsewhere. A-10C, KA-50, P-51D, UH-1H are the only ones on that level right now. SU-25T (free) and FC3 are a mix of AFM and SFM 'Survey sim'-fidelity.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So if I buy DCS Huey with my 60% off coupon straight from Eagle Dynamics and then buy A-10c from the 10% Steam sale, will the non-steam version of DCS world detect the A-10 steam install and let me switch between the two on the fly or will I need to run the steam version of DCS world to access it? I know it's been mentioned that steam DCS world won't detect the non-steam planes, but I didn't know if it worked in reverse.

Edit: I guess I just don't understand why the steam version couldn't come with a CD key that you could register with Eagle Dynamics in the same way that steam handles DLC for Games For Windows Live games (ala Bioshock 2).

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 3, 2013

Uselessness
Mar 29, 2005

This really pisses me
off to no end
Slippery Tilde
I believe it does work in reverse (my source being a tester) - haven't tried it personally, but you do get a key from Steam that you can use in the standalone DCS World client. You would have to download the module from the ED site or the ingame module manager to get the files, but you could use steam just to buy modules (as you could previously with the Steam version of A10-C standalone.) For what it's worth, the Steam DLC version of A10-C had the same key as my standalone Steam version of A-10C. I use that in the standalone [DCS World] client.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Yeah, I bought the A-10C when it was 60% off during the Steam summer sale just to plug the CD key into DCS world.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Uselessness posted:

Yeah it's not the clearest terminology, the advanced flight model as I understand it means it's based on physics, rather than the more basic Flaming Cliffs crafts that are more scripted - they're limited in their flight dynamics compared to what they might be capable of using the AFM. This includes details like damage modelling - if you bumble a landing in a Mig-29S (simple flight model) you'll likely just explode. If you bumble a landing in the A-10A, the landing gear will crumple and break, you'll skid - the physics allows that to happen.
I hope when the Su-27's AFM gets implemented it means we can do cobras again. Doing cobras in a middle of a gunfight in LO:MAC was never not fun.

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax

Uselessness posted:

I recommend watching 30 seconds or so of this video for an official - if brief - explanation/example of the damage modelling in action. As demonstrated there, even the SU-25T has an advanced flight model - but it doesn't have a 3d cockpit (yet).

I don't think ED even have a term for the highest fidelity simulation modules with the interactable cockpits. Study Sim maybe, but they don't seem to use it themselves, I've picked that up elsewhere. A-10C, KA-50, P-51D, UH-1H are the only ones on that level right now. SU-25T (free) and FC3 are a mix of AFM and SFM 'Survey sim'-fidelity.

Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation! Are they planning on making any more study sims?

Uselessness
Mar 29, 2005

This really pisses me
off to no end
Slippery Tilde
Seems like there's a lot of them in the works. Almost all of the third party efforts that I've paid attention to (mainly Bezcl's Mig-21Bis and Belsimtek's Mi-8) will be. Eagle Dynamics have a FW190 in the works, I believe they're also doing a Su-27SM following that (which the AFM for the FC3 SU-27 is probably in aid of). Pretty sure I saw mention of an ED-made F18 too.

Here's a slightly mental unofficial roadmap that has been put together in their forums and really highlights quite how ambitious this has all gotten.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Yeah ED is making DCS: Hornet to be released who knows. I'd actually be more surprised if they made more modules on the level of Flaming Cliffs as FC is essentially LO:MAC in a new engine. Everyone else DCS with the exception of Combined Arms (obviously) has being full sperg clickable cockpits.

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
I recently bought a Saitek X-52 and a copy of Il-2, and have been fiddling with it for the past few weeks. I'm teaching an aircraft design/performance subject at university, and having no actual flight experience, wanted to at least get something vaguely similar to hands-on experience.

I'm finding with Il-2 I'm not being very methodical in the way I approach flying. I don't have a good understanding of how to use my rudder during turns to minimize turn radius/rate etc. While I know the equations on paper, so far it's not translating.

I picked Il-2 because I hoped the air combat aspect would help convince me to put in the time required, but I feel I'm not learning much. Il-2 has a ton of depth as a simulator, but there seems to be a real dearth of training materials.

Do you guys have any recommendations for training resources?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
A book called Stick And Rudder. It's a classic.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Which is available right here.

http://books.google.com/books/about/Stick_and_Rudder_An_Explanation_of_the_A.html?id=zlaqYZYJZwQC

Trivia: in The Tuskegee Airmen two pilot candidates recognize each other on a train because one of them is reading it.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I am having joystick woes. I play Il-2 and a bunch of other games and I'm trying to get into DCS. I currently have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro which is... bad. Feature-wise I'm totally happy with it but it started getting progressively worse after a year or so of use. I use it maybe once a week and now it's clearly approaching the end of its life: It's loose, the sensors are jittery as hell (I need like a 30% dead zone) and it loses calibration on every boot. There seems to be a bit of luck involved in the quality of the stick you get but the general theme of it seems to be that these sticks don't last.

I've looked at the X52 but I'm really leery about it because its warranty period isn't any longer and I've heard it having very similar issues over time. It's a tad expensive for a disposable device. That seems to leave the higher end flight sim sticks: CH Products, Warthog, etc. Something I noticed is that they don't twist! I suppose twist is terribly unrealistic. Pedals are like another hundred euros above an already expensive stick but a bigger concern for me is that they're very non-ideal for some of the games I play. I can't really imagine trying to control an ascending rocket's or a spacecraft's roll with pedals in the event it would even work. The Warthog is out regardless, I'm not into flight sims enough as it is to spend 400 euros on a stick.

Am I totally out of luck finding a stick that lasts & twists? I can always buy pedals later if I get a burning desire to fly Hueys or something.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Aug 4, 2013

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Well the X65 apparently has twist but that's also kinda expensive and more importantly it's force-sensing which some people don't like so :shrug:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Flight sim peripherals are horribly inconsistent in quality.

My Extreme 3D still works well after over a year, however I only paid $15 used for it on ebay. Could I suggest just keeping an eye out for another cheap one?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So it turns out that my 60% off a DCS module coupon is currently broken and there is nowhere to redeem it on the DCS website. Their support is aware of it and is working on the fix 'eventually' so I don't exactly see high hopes in being able to use it. :smith:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Elukka posted:

:words:Logitech Extreme 3D Pro:words:

I've said quite a few times that the Extreme 3D Pro is a great stick but should be considered a consumable. I'm on my third one. It sucks but the other features make up for it.

quote:

Am I totally out of luck finding a stick that lasts & twists? I can always buy pedals later if I get a burning desire to fly Hueys or something.

The only other stick I'd suggest might be the Thrustmaster T16000M. It has hall effect sensors that should never lose calibration or start spiking/jittering. The thing I don't like about it is that it only has 4 buttons and a hat on the stick. The E3DP has 6. That alone kept me from buying it over my third E3DP.

That being said, now that I have a HOTAS and only use the E3DP for ARMA I might give the 16000M a go.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So I've plugged through the first 3 or 4 tutorials on the A-10 and it really doesn't seem so bad. Seems like it flies really smooth compared to IL-2. I just need to get a handle on operating the camera and laser on my HOTAS. Does anyone have a good mission that I can set an autopilot and focus solely on weapons drilling in order to get it down pat?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

So I've plugged through the first 3 or 4 tutorials on the A-10 and it really doesn't seem so bad. Seems like it flies really smooth compared to IL-2. I just need to get a handle on operating the camera and laser on my HOTAS. Does anyone have a good mission that I can set an autopilot and focus solely on weapons drilling in order to get it down pat?

If you haven't gotten to it in the tutorials, do the actual weapons training.

Or just make your own in the editor, toss a bunch of fuel trucks somewhere and line them up!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

DeathSandwich posted:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=78416

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Figures. I go away from the Internet for a weekend, and PMDG announces that the 777 is now in wide beta.

It's getting close!

Wireless Mouse
Feb 17, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

Get Dragon's Training Pack for just such a mission: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=68802

If you want to focus on practicing with various weapons systems, then you've got two choices. Either use the Active Pause cheat to freeze yourself in the air pointed at your targets (recommended if you're very new), or use the altitude autopilot to hold the aircraft in a safe orbit for you.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Welp, rebuilt my PC and as a result had to reinstall everything. My X52 Pro doesn't want to play nice, and merely plugging the goddamn thing in will cause every browser on my PC to be unable to load anything, Windows to be weird and buggy, and the stick itself won't even work properly. It has done this on occasion before the rebuild, but now it's doing it every time I plug it in. It was fine yesterday when I first reinstalled the drivers.

Looks like I'll be taking a break from flight sims for a while. Has anyone else had the same problem and been able to solve it? I think it might be something to do with the USB ports themselves (first it started doing it with the bottom front port, so I used the top one, now it won't work with either), but I'm not good enough at computer to work out what and I really don't feel like having the thing apart again so soon.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Are you sure you have all the chipset and USB drivers installed for your machine? If you just did a re-install, you could have missed something.

It also sounds like the drivers fot the X52 might be crashing. I know I could get my X52 to BSOD windows 7 by locking up the software with a bug, then unplugging the X52. Before unplugging the stick, the entire machine would slow to an absolute crawl. Maybe check if the X52 software is running?

It's been a while since I had an X52, so I can't go very far down the troubleshooting path for you, but it's a few leads to check. Hope one helps :)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Carenado is apparently working on an Embraer Phenom 100, so maybe we'll get a half-way decent bizjet now?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It's about the same speed as a Citation 510 Mustang and also has the Garmin G1000 suite. We already have one of those available from Flight1 and it's pretty good. Since I own the Citation, I doubt I'd even bother with this release.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Plus Swimnurd hates their clickpoints.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Colonial Air Force posted:

Plus Swimnurd hates their clickpoints.

Flight1 clickpoints are horrible.

I bought the new one (B200) and only flew it 3 times total so far... can't stand having to click 2 inches above what I'm actually aiming for

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Beta videos of PMDG 777 are starting to hit. Looks pretty cool.

Off path descents are modeled, lots of neat systems. Definitely not just the NGX supersized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4wpI_xwfkI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKw0L6c8-u0

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The wing flex is spectacular.

Also they plan on rolling a lot of this in to the NGX with the next service pack.

And for folks who don't want to do long hauls, they have a system that allows you to jump ahead, but doesn't screw up the complex systems. I don't think I would use it (and you can't on VATSIM), but it exists.

E: This video shows most of the cool features, like the mouse working directly in the PFD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjFSUkeHzBU

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 8, 2013

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Pssh, that wing flex is ok if you are a sissy I guess. I prefer a game that gives me the full wingflex experience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AubKzvGI2g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Goetta posted:

Pssh, that wing flex is ok if you are a sissy I guess. I prefer a game that gives me the full wingflex experience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AubKzvGI2g

Ah, the PMDG Ornithopter.