Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

WendigoJohnson posted:

Maybe SDCC shouldn't be filled with so much bullshit then? It was really only Metroplex and Bruticus that were day 1 sellouts, stuff like Nemesis Prime were available way long after SDCC was over.

The bullshit amount is up to the SDCC organizers, which means it's never going to change. And if you don't see how leftover convention exclusives being sold on the manufacturer's website is not the same thing as mass producing the identical item for retail channels, I don't know what to tell you.

quote:

I mean look at the amount of bullshit that Monster High Collectors go through it's arguably worse.

I don't think I implied in any way that my opinion on convention exclusives is limited to Transformers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Keldroc posted:

The bullshit amount is up to the SDCC organizers, which means it's never going to change. And if you don't see how leftover convention exclusives being sold on the manufacturer's website is not the same thing as mass producing the identical item for retail channels, I don't know what to tell you.

I don't think I implied in any way that my opinion on convention exclusives is limited to Transformers.

Honestly I really do not see the big deal about convention exclusives getting mass market releases. I own many exclusives myself and I really wouldn't feel all that different if they were to release them enmass or make them exclusive to a particular chain.

These aren't like stocks or something where you release too much you wind up making the company worthless. Shouldn't conventions be more about the others things instead of whatever toy exclusives are there? I mean that's why you usualy go there in the first place, those are just extra incentives.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
I don't understand any mindset that would prefer fewer people to have neat stuff. I mean there are plenty of opportunities for super hardcore investment and hard work, this is fun with toy robots.

PriNcessofDarXness
Jun 16, 2009
^Both these two prior posts.

Also, HUGE thanks for the HTS post! I made out like a bandit!... A bandit who burned a ton of cash n robits... I think I may need to start going to meetings for this...

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

WendigoJohnson posted:

Honestly I really do not see the big deal about convention exclusives getting mass market releases. I own many exclusives myself and I really wouldn't feel all that different if they were to release them enmass or make them exclusive to a particular chain.

These aren't like stocks or something where you release too much you wind up making the company worthless. Shouldn't conventions be more about the others things instead of whatever toy exclusives are there? I mean that's why you usualy go there in the first place, those are just extra incentives.

The exclusives are meant to be souvenirs of the convention. You went, you saw the panel, you got the autograph, you bought the toy you could only get by going there. If you want one, go to the convention (or hope to be lucky on the company's store afterward in some cases). As long as the mold itself isn't limited solely to the convention (and that'll never happen, obviously), a toy that can only be obtained by attending some special event is entirely appropriate and should remain as such if it's advertised as such. If they want to sell them later at mass retail they can call them "early access" and not "exclusive," because words mean things.

I have no idea where the "stock" comparison comes from. This isn't about monetary value, it's about what "exclusive" means.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Got my Masterpiece Soundwave today, and he is indeed awesome. Masterpiece Laserbeak, however, broke the first time I tried to transform him, so I'm forced to declare him less awesome. The vertical fin snapped off one of his gun things. I don't suppose there's anyone here who bought a second Soundwave to display in tape deck mode or something who'd be willing to sell their Laserbeak before I spend $40 for one on eBay.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Keldroc posted:

The exclusives are meant to be souvenirs of the convention. You went, you saw the panel, you got the autograph, you bought the toy you could only get by going there. If you want one, go to the convention (or hope to be lucky on the company's store afterward in some cases). As long as the mold itself isn't limited solely to the convention (and that'll never happen, obviously), a toy that can only be obtained by attending some special event is entirely appropriate and should remain as such if it's advertised as such. If they want to sell them later at mass retail they can call them "early access" and not "exclusive," because words mean things.

I have no idea where the "stock" comparison comes from. This isn't about monetary value, it's about what "exclusive" means.

You still get an exclusive product though? SDCC Bruticus came in special packaging and even though Platinum Brut uses an extremely similar deco, they aren't the same thing.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Blackheart posted:

You still get an exclusive product though? SDCC Bruticus came in special packaging and even though Platinum Brut uses an extremely similar deco, they aren't the same thing.

Boxes don't matter if you open your toys. :unsmigghh:

Secht
Oct 5, 2012

Keldroc posted:

I don't. I'm not a convention exclusive collector, but I know how much bullshit people have to go through to even just get up to the front of the line at the Hasbro booth at SDCC, and to basically give the finger to those people by re-releasing the same toy at retail is not cool in my book. At least when Hasbro put out retail versions of the BotCon Classics Seekers they were different paint jobs. An exclusive should be an exclusive, otherwise you're just straight up lying to your most dedicated fans.

Eh. It's still an exclusive. I like having the chance to get a toy exclusive either through a secondary market or through a re-release in different packaging. I understand it undercuts the pricing of the original and 'worth' of standing in line for it, but man these are toys and that's life.

Secht fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 4, 2013

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I'm sorry for everyone who's had trouble.

I'm sorry that not everyone can experience this.

I'm sorry, but not too sorry to show off the MP SOUNDWAVE I GOT FOR $120 DOLLARS AT THE TIMES SQUARE TOYS "R" US THIS MORNING!!!

There were only 12 each of Soundwave and Acid Storm. Me and a friend got there at 8AM, 2 hours before openning, to get one Soundwave each. Price-matched the website and BOOM! Perfect.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

My IDW BB has two left shoulders :frogon: and my PRID Crock-out has a broken left shoulder :smith:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

WendigoJohnson posted:

Boxes don't matter if you open your toys. :unsmigghh:

Oh, definitely. But I have to admit I've kept some of the nicer boxes, just because they look so cool. But yeah the whole MISB mentality has never made sense to me, even less with toys whose whole appeal is that they transform.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm sorry, but not too sorry to show off the MP SOUNDWAVE I GOT FOR $120 DOLLARS AT THE TIMES SQUARE TOYS "R" US THIS MORNING!!!

There were only 12 each of Soundwave and Acid Storm. Me and a friend got there at 8AM, 2 hours before openning, to get one Soundwave each. Price-matched the website and BOOM! Perfect.

Does the hammer attachments on Rumble and Frenzy left arm feel loose? The right arm is nice and tight but my left arm on both of them are loose and kind of sit at a slight angle.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Rythe posted:

Does the hammer attachments on Rumble and Frenzy left arm feel loose? The right arm is nice and tight but my left arm on both of them are loose and kind of sit at a slight angle.

Are you sure you've clicked them in all the way? Mine are all fine.

Eirgen
Jan 29, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

I was there at around 1pm and it was gone :(

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Eirgen posted:

I was there at around 1pm and it was gone :(

I was there when it opened. I'm sorry but they were gone within like an hour from what I heard.

Eirgen
Jan 29, 2010
I already bought the Takara Soundwave a while back, getting the Hasbro one would of been nice for the other cassettes, but I just want to get Acidstorm since I missed out on all the other seekers.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

DoctorWhat posted:

I was there when it opened. I'm sorry but they were gone within like an hour from what I heard.

I got to mine about 30 minutes after it opened and they were sold out. I'm glad I didn't leave right away though. As I was wondering around I spotted one behind one of the counters and bought it. Apparently no one wanted that one because the box was a bit banged up.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

Are you sure you've clicked them in all the way? Mine are all fine.

Also it's not immediately obvious but they are NOT interchangeable! each can only go on one side. If you have 'em wrong at most it will -seem- like they click in but they'll fall as soon as you look at them funny. Just check that the pins on the piledrivers are always facing back and they'll click in sweetly.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

^^^ yeah I figured that out after playing around with my Soundwave a bit more, everything fits super snug and I am amazed at how much I am in love with this Transformer and I am not a huge collector of the bots too. He has taken the place of honor over my computer desk, Soundwave has kicked the Ninja Turtles to the curb now.

Algae Magnet
Jul 1, 2013
Despite saying I wasn't going to, I bought the IDW collection for my Kindle, the cheap version without the mini series.
Was o.k, had some good bits and plenty of :wtf: Dead universe, heart of darkness, D-Void I know it's sci-fi, but really, those were the best names you could come up with? At least it gave me a better understanding of the current situation.

Then I started reading More Than Meets the Eye.
I'm pretty sure it's been said a few times, Swerve and Whirl steal the spotlight. Though Ultra Magnus smiling was the icing on the cake :neckbeard:

Wish I wasn't in the UK and didn't have a Kindle, 2 more days till volume 4, unknown date for volume 3 of Robots in Disguise. :(

Reading the UK comics at the moment to pass the time, but it's pretty drat boring, hoping it picks up.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Edit: MP Soundwaves are gone! If I come across any more locally, I'll make sure to snatch them up for my fellow goons.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 5, 2013

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I've got two extra MP Soundwaves that I picked up locally, if you're interested in one, PM or e-mail me at bagofsunchips[at]gmail. $150 shipped to your door (paid ~$130, ~$15 shipping, and $5 for my time).

I PM'd you, what flavor are the Sun Chips?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just realised, when Sandstorm rolls in I'm going to have all the G1 triple changers done up in modern engineering. Sure, one's third party, one's a remold, one's a congeries of tank and airplane bits in loose formation, one's early and small, and one's small and shite, but they're all THERE, man!

(Springer's perfect :allears:)

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Phy posted:

I just realised, when Sandstorm rolls in I'm going to have all the G1 triple changers done up in modern engineering. Sure, one's third party, one's a remold, one's a congeries of tank and airplane bits in loose formation, one's early and small, and one's small and shite, but they're all THERE, man!

You're missing Doubledealer, who is the king of triple changers. He transforms into a mutant eagle and a Mobile Nuclear Warhead launcher, not only that he changes sides regularly, he's like if Iraq was a robot.

Still sorta disappointed that they couldn't do a Sandstorm grade remold for his airplane form since he's using the Blitzwing mold.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
It's really too bad that the odds of Hasbro seeing Assaulter as a challenge to be beaten, ala Defender vs. Generations Springer, are astronomical.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

As someone already mentioned some pages ago, I'd rather have a new Astrotrain, even if it seems unfair to the other remaining (and inferior) triple-changers. Astrotrain deserves it. It was my first transformer, I think.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Blackheart posted:

As someone already mentioned some pages ago, I'd rather have a new Astrotrain, even if it seems unfair to the other remaining (and inferior) triple-changers. Astrotrain deserves it. It was my first transformer, I think.

He is pretty much the fun silly goofiness of G1 personified. He's a loving space shuttle and an old steam locomotive. His name is literally those two things combined. In one of the most dramatic, heavy moments of G1, he is there chugging away as a train then turns into a shuttle and takes everyone away from battle.

He's basically a better engineered GoBot. God bless him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Astrotrain was one of like three Decepticons that I owned. He was the loving greatest toy ever made.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He was also a diecast missile that was used to great effect during many a bedroom war until he eventually made an Astrotrain-shaped hole in the wall.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

GD_American posted:

He is pretty much the fun silly goofiness of G1 personified. He's a loving space shuttle and an old steam locomotive. His name is literally those two things combined. In one of the most dramatic, heavy moments of G1, he is there chugging away as a train then turns into a shuttle and takes everyone away from battle.

And he needs them to shed weight in space, because that's how cartoons work.

Shine on Astrotrain, you crazy bastard :swoon:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

404GoonNotFound posted:

And he needs them to shed weight in space, because that's how cartoons work.

Shine on Astrotrain, you crazy bastard :swoon:

His inertial dampers were all hosed up from the battel, he thought that he was overloaded!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

404GoonNotFound posted:

It's really too bad that the odds of Hasbro seeing Assaulter as a challenge to be beaten, ala Defender vs. Generations Springer, are astronomical.

If anything I doubt Generations Broadside is going to be a jet that turns into an aircraft carrier.

They're going to make it a Russian Flying Fortress that turns into an Aircraft carrier.

Springer is the best Voyager mold yet though, what they did with Sandstorm was simply amazing.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Phy posted:

What about Broadside? :mad:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Is in the list and being discussed?

Rhyno posted:

His inertial dampers were all hosed up from the battel, he thought that he was overloaded!
Maybe Starscream slipped him some energon on the sly, it's not like the other Decepticons were paying much attention

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

You Am I posted:

What about Broadside? :mad:

Yeah, Broadside's the third party: Warbot Assaulter.

As for jettisoning some weight, it sure would be nice for Astrotrain to have less poo poo to accelerate so that everyone might make it back to Cybertron in a timely manner! But we really know that all he meant was that he couldn't maintain altitude and would probably have dropped into the sun or something

(Actually I really liked Classics Astrotrain! the bullet train mode was not out of place with the JRX guys, and the bot mode had a certain dignity to it that most Decepticons with their molded-in sneers tend not to)

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I can't believe this toy is 10 years old:

Yes I know the mold itself is even older. I just like some of those early 2003ish universes like the Inferno redeco of RiD Prowl or Reptilion.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

...that face.

I like the wings,legs, and the shoulder vents though.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
Canadian goons, don't even think about this, just order it before it's gone:

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=20083786

EDIT: Acid Storm is also up, if you want it: http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=20083776

TealShark fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Aug 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peter Bazooka
Sep 29, 2005

This isn’t really anything I think I like.
Jay Lenoscream has some tiny arms.