Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I honestly don't think this show/manga subverts many tropes at all, it definitely gets overstated by the community. The only trope that is really subverted is the whole anime "friendship and determination gives you power" stuff. Besides that, it's pretty typical shoenn stuff in a lot of ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you say so. I can only see that as your astronomical expectation bias talking after your previous post.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

my dad posted:

Her face tells a thousand words here.

pretty sure it's three words: gently caress, gently caress, gently caress!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

hiddenriverninja posted:

pretty sure it's three words: gently caress, gently caress, gently caress!

I dunno, that look of grim determination as she yanks her horse out of the way adds a few paragraphs. I mean, it's not like grim determination is an expression we often see on Sasha except when she's contemplating a really enormous bowl of chips.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I dunno, that look of grim determination as she yanks her horse out of the way adds a few paragraphs. I mean, it's not like grim determination is an expression we often see on Sasha except when she's contemplating a really enormous bowl of chips.

That's only her wondering how long it will take her to finish it.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Speculative human-titan chat
I pretty much agree with everyone here but I don't think the steam off Reiner is really supporting evidence. It's pretty clearly blood from his escape from the female titans hand. You can see it evaporating off of him as he descends as well.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

If you say so. I can only see that as your astronomical expectation bias talking after your previous post.

What previous post? Astronomical expectation bias? You wouldn't even know this since I have never posted about it but I got into Attack On Titan because I heard it was just straight up good. I never even heard it had so many supposed trope subversions until later, and honestly don't think it isn't true. I personally will attest that it is good (albeit a little overrated/oversold) but not because there are any real trope subversion. I don't think having a grimdark-ish tone is trope subversion. It's not even like trope subversion inherently makes good TV either, a lot of tropes exist for legitimate storytelling reasons.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I misremembered you as being the other dude I quoted on the previous page. Sorry, faceless internet guy!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I can't get enough of that guy and his tongue-biting running gag.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

So It Goes posted:

What previous post? Astronomical expectation bias? You wouldn't even know this since I have never posted about it but I got into Attack On Titan because I heard it was just straight up good. I never even heard it had so many supposed trope subversions until later, and honestly don't think it isn't true. I personally will attest that it is good (albeit a little overrated/oversold) but not because there are any real trope subversion. I don't think having a grimdark-ish tone is trope subversion. It's not even like trope subversion inherently makes good TV either, a lot of tropes exist for legitimate storytelling reasons.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that it was supposed to be a trope subverting masterpiece, but I will agree that it was overrated as a show. Was. As a story, I still think its fantastic, and the show itself has skipped hitting its stride and jumped straight to an all out sprint.

From what we've seen of the second season so far, I am extremely impressed with this show. Wit got their poo poo together in a nice tidy bundle and are really starting to shine in every aspect. This coming from the guy that ended up doing nothing but threadshitting for several pages because I was annoyed at the pacing and the general screw ups in the first season.

If this season keeps running the way it is, I'm ready to call this one of my favorites of the year.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Just popping in to say I started watching this yesterday, and holy poo poo. I was prepared for awesome things, but I just finished episode 5 (attack on trost pt. 1) and WHAT THE gently caress. About to keep watching for more but I don't even know what to think after that ending.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I know I am super late, but I watched the first episode, and I found my self just shouting "Holy poo poo" during the last 10 minutes, with my eyes full of tears.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Does Eren have the same voice actor as the japanese one of Simon from Gurren Lagann?

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Does Eren have the same voice actor as the japanese one of Simon from Gurren Lagann?

No, Simon was Tetsuya Kakihara and Eren is Yuuki Kaji.

CayTeo
Oct 14, 2004

I don't want to set the world on fire
I can't think anything bad of Pixis. He's looking for a female titan, he seems to have it in for the fat cat "aristocratic" set, and he drinks only the finest of fire water.

I'm getting heavy Ender's Game vibes off of this series at this point, though. I don't know if that's a common thing to feel, if it's just a side effect of character the archetypes. We have Ehren as Ender, Armin as Bean (maybe Mikasa too if you split him up), the rest of the rookie class as the jeesh, the brass playing their own games with the kids. I almost want a little clip of everybody swooping around in their 3DMG flashing "the enemy gate is down" across the bottom.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

CayTeo posted:

I can't think anything bad of Pixis. He's looking for a female titan, he seems to have it in for the fat cat "aristocratic" set, and he drinks only the finest of fire water.

I'm getting heavy Ender's Game vibes off of this series at this point, though. I don't know if that's a common thing to feel, if it's just a side effect of character the archetypes. We have Ehren as Ender, Armin as Bean (maybe Mikasa too if you split him up), the rest of the rookie class as the jeesh, the brass playing their own games with the kids. I almost want a little clip of everybody swooping around in their 3DMG flashing "the enemy gate is down" across the bottom.

And then in like 20 years will we get Hajime Isayama writing screeds about how Koreans are subhuman scum who must bow to the Emperor's will?

CayTeo
Oct 14, 2004

I don't want to set the world on fire

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

And then in like 20 years will we get Hajime Isayama writing screeds about how Koreans are subhuman scum who must bow to the Emperor's will?

I guess we don't need to extend the metaphor to its fullest potential.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Well Eren is clearly Hitler.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Caught up to the latest episode over the past couple days, having dropped off around episode 8/9. I'm so looking forward to how this arc pans out.

Armin's face during this scene made me burst out laughing, totally fantastic.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

So It Goes posted:

I honestly don't think this show/manga subverts many tropes at all, it definitely gets overstated by the community. The only trope that is really subverted is the whole anime "friendship and determination gives you power" stuff. Besides that, it's pretty typical shoenn stuff in a lot of ways.
A lot of the tropes the show subverts aren't noticeable until they're pointed out. SNK is hugely popular with the Tumblr crowd because it has a good balance of female characters both in the main cast and background, and they don't wear skimpy uniforms or get sexualized death poses. Minor manga spoiler: a character later implies that they're gay, also in a matter-of-fact "no big deal" way.

http://miaman.tumblr.com/post/55145908818/how-shingeki-no-kyojin-attack-on-titan-is-doing

Elotana fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 6, 2013

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

That blog post would be better if it didn't focus mostly on how it doesn't treat women like sex objects. I don't really think that's a point in the show's favor, because it's something that should be regardless. Then again, I don't really watch much modern anime so my expectations are probably a bit different.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Genocyber posted:

That blog post would be better if it didn't focus mostly on how it doesn't treat women like sex objects. I don't really think that's a point in the show's favor, because it's something that should be regardless. Then again, I don't really watch much modern anime so my expectations are probably a bit different.

Given how the Index/Attack on Titan crossover fanart posted in the last page casually slips in a pantyshot I'd say anime has a bit of a problem with presenting women.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Segmentation Fault posted:

Given how the Index/Attack on Titan crossover fanart posted in the last page casually slips in a pantyshot I'd say anime has a bit of a problem with presenting women.

That was anime fans, not anime.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Genocyber posted:

It's a plus point because 90% of shows are horrible about that sort of thing.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Genocyber posted:

I always thought this magazine cover summed it up nicely:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Genocyber posted:

That's not only a thing in a lot of anime, it's a thing in a lot of modern media in general, really. SnK having a pretty close to equal male:female gender ratio and female characters who can be competent (and some competent ones who have some depth at that) and aren't sexualized does, in fact, put it ahead of the pack, even when compared to a lot of media aimed at girls, to say nothing about media in general or that aimed at boys.

Anyway, these latest episodes are pretty great. It's becoming hard to resist the temptation to pick the manga to not have to wait to see what happens next.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

That was anime fans, not anime.

It still serves as a good microcosm of the situation. "Oh there's a woman involved? Better throw in a panty shot!"

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Roland Jones posted:

That's not only a thing in a lot of anime, it's a thing in a lot of modern media in general, really. SnK having a pretty close to equal male:female gender ratio and female characters who can be competent (and some competent ones who have some depth at that) and aren't sexualized does, in fact, put it ahead of the pack, even when compared to a lot of media aimed at girls, to say nothing about media in general or that aimed at boys.

Anyway, these latest episodes are pretty great. It's becoming hard to resist the temptation to pick the manga to not have to wait to see what happens next.

I would advise anyone that's only watching the anime to start reading the manga immediately. You won't have time to reflect on every little thing so the twists will have a much stronger impact, plus you don't run the risk of having everything spoiled in advance when someone from the manga thread "accidentally" posts here again.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Read the manga instead of watching the anime because if you watch the anime you'll figure out the twists and it will ruin your enjoyment?

I....what? :psyduck:

I'd say that being able to figure out twists from context/foreshadowing/etc is a lot better (and rewarding!) than if the twists come out of nowhere.

e: VVV Well, my stance on that sort of thing is that if a story is good then it's still good even if I know what's gonna happen! So I am fine with just sticking to the anime since spoilers don't bother me.

Srice fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 6, 2013

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Srice posted:

Read the manga instead of watching the anime because if you watch the anime you'll figure out the twists and it will ruin your enjoyment?

I....what? :psyduck:

I'd say that being able to figure out twists from context/foreshadowing/etc is a lot better (and rewarding!) than if the twists come out of nowhere.

I think it's worth reading the manga so you don't get jackasses who spoil stuff, which has already happened.

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

Elotana posted:

A lot of the tropes the show subverts aren't noticeable until they're pointed out. SNK is hugely popular with the Tumblr crowd because it has a good balance of female characters both in the main cast and background, and they don't wear skimpy uniforms or get sexualized death poses. Minor manga spoiler: a character later implies that they're gay, also in a matter-of-fact "no big deal" way.

http://miaman.tumblr.com/post/55145908818/how-shingeki-no-kyojin-attack-on-titan-is-doing

Discussing the spoiler: Isayama actually confirmed they're gay on the official website, or so I've heard.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

suztan posted:

Discussing the spoiler: Isayama actually confirmed they're gay on the official website, or so I've heard.

I don't think he as talking about those two, they're pretty obvious. I think he was referring to the scene with Reiner, Ymir and the canned herring.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Srice posted:

That's why people recommend the manga first, then the anime. The manga became so popular because it's so good at context/foreshadowing/etc. As someone who reads the manga and watches the anime and loves both, I still think it is the better option to read the manga first, then watch the anime. Even though I love the anime I definitely believe they have handled certain things very poorly compared to the manga.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah I just caught with the Manga, I'll be catching up with the show this week to compare. I've already come across one instance of foreshadowing I think the Manga handled better.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I was only using the manga spoiler to illustrate a point about the story, let's not turn this thread into CIA-level redaction or "manga's better" chat.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Elotana posted:

I was only using the manga spoiler to illustrate a point about the story, let's not turn this thread into CIA-level redaction or "manga's better" chat.

We already moved the spoiler chat to the manga thread, so you don't have to worry about that.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

CayTeo posted:

Ender's most important quality was leadership in being able to get a bunch of egotistical mavericks to obey his orders and follow his strategy. While in turn allowing them the room to breath and apply their skills at solving the problems Ender expected them to solve. These are two extremely interlocked facets of his character where you can't have one without the other that Eren just doesn't at all embody.

The latest episode was amazing, I loved the sense of scale they exhibited and just how drat dangerous outside the walls are. Clearly a 48" TV is how this show is meant to be watched, the lighting was perfect.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Raenir Salazar posted:

Ender's most important quality was leadership in being able to get a bunch of egotistical mavericks to obey his orders and follow his strategy. While in turn allowing them the room to breath and apply their skills at solving the problems Ender expected them to solve. These are two extremely interlocked facets of his character where you can't have one without the other that Eren just doesn't at all embody.

I think the Ender comparison is bullshit because, a) Eren's the worst strategist ever born of woman, and b) Ender's most defining trait is his empathy, of which Eren has none whatsoever. Eren is so far from loving and understanding his enemy that I doubt he's capable of holding the concept in his mind. But the one thing he does have is the ability to motivate people. He convinced a lot of his classmates to join the scouting legion when they thought it was tantamount to suicide, he talked up his squad at the opening to Trost, and Mikasa and Armin both tend to just shut down whenever he's not around. Natural drill sergeant, I think.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

b) Ender's most defining trait is his empathy, of which Eren has none whatsoever.

I wouldn't go that far - Eren seems to be a decent enough person to his classmates and comrades. He's hotheaded and confrontational, not exactly a bleeding heart, but I wouldn't say he's that bad at empathizing with people who don't represent the apocalyptic planet-eating remorseless monsters.

But you're right in that comparisons to ender don't really strike me as that valid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I wouldn't go that far - Eren seems to be a decent enough person to his classmates and comrades. He's hotheaded and confrontational, not exactly a bleeding heart, but I wouldn't say he's that bad at empathizing with people who don't represent the apocalyptic planet-eating remorseless monsters.

But you're right in that comparisons to ender don't really strike me as that valid.

Eren killed a man in cold blood on the suspicion that he was holding Mikasa hostage. That alone is evidence for psychopathy.

• Locked thread