Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qntm
Jun 17, 2009

James R posted:

I am likely entirely wrong.. but I have this nagging sneaky suspicion in the back of my head that Tennant could be making a return. You notice how there is literally nothing on that possibility being banded about? It's not beyond the realms of possibility.

This was one of my two wildcard guesses. The other was Ant and Dec. Both of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Pyradox posted:

Ideally there'd be no more benefit to having a female Doctor than a male Doctor, because there's no reason the character has to be exclusively male when they keep saying that he could be anything at all. But the reason I want one and think any diversity at all to the role would be a great benefit is to do with the show's message:

The core theme of the series is that the role of the hero is not a result of superficial things personality or looks or dress sense. No matter how much those change between his regenerations, the show's titular character is still The Doctor because every Doctor so far has always been devoted to the same goals and the same promise. They all seek to help and inspire others, right wrongs and fix broken things and essentially that's the only important part of the character you can't change. He isn't a hero because he's smart, charismatic or well-educated, but because he dedicates every waking moment to helping others and making the universe a better place.

That's what his companions really get from travelling with him. He shows them a better way of living because no matter where they come from, whether they're men, women, smart, stupid, alien or human, they can all be as heroic as he is. This was actually a major plot point towards the end of the RTD era.

So if the show is all about how anyone can make life better for everyone, why should the person teaching that lesson always be one particular kind of person? Wouldn't it be more in keeping with the theme of the show that the Doctor could literally be anyone as opposed to just any white male from the UK?

Yeah, this. There's a brilliant post from the other thread about how it's weird that a character that is pretty much defined by being mercurial to the extreme and overstepping every tedious normative value hasn't been a woman yet. All of the qualities listed above are not exclusively 'masculine', they're just the best qualities human beings can strive for, regardless of gender, sexuality or race. I do understand the argument that the Doctor is one of the few male role models in popular culture who wins the day by being clever, kind and non-violent, but I don't think male children are so dumb as to not see the value in those things coming from a female character.

EDIT - well, that tweet confirms it's not a lady, anyway....

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another
Apparently Sky Bet have reopened their betting (or so a suggested post on Facebook tells me), is this significant? Have they found out that Peter Capaldi isn't a dead cert?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

UnquietDream posted:

Apparently Sky Bet have reopened their betting (or so a suggested post on Facebook tells me), is this significant? Have they found out that Peter Capaldi isn't a dead cert?

That's probably why they have reopened it, yeah, but I don't think it's that significant - it's all just guess work on their parts, and seeing the surge in attention Rigby has been getting probably made them do so.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

That's probably why they have reopened it, yeah, but I don't think it's that significant - it's all just guess work on their parts, and seeing the surge in attention Rigby has been getting probably made them do so.

Bizarre one is that the only one who seems to have shortening odds other than Rigby, is Idris Elba.

No chance in hell that its Idris given how busy he is, just imagine its a lot of people wishing it was.

Sieje
Jun 29, 2004

My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes.

chazburgr posted:

What if it's Billie Piper? How much hosed would that be?

Edit: NVM. Guess it's a dude!

No, the clue is right there! Obviously an Ace Doctor means they've cast Sophie Aldred as 12. Seven's plans for her are finally coming to fruition. Quite a long game indeed.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I would unironically love to have her as the Doctor.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

Sieje posted:

No, the clue is right there! Obviously an Ace Doctor means they've cast Sophie Aldred as 12. Seven's plans for her are finally coming to fruition. Quite a long game indeed.

I read ace Doctor and had Rick Mayall in my head. Then Chris Barrie.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Just an idea, but it seems like we might as well contain all this discussion to the main thread as none of it is a spoiler - and between the two right now there is a healthy amount of activity to sustain discussion.

Here's the link: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552972&pagenumber=53#lastpost

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sieje posted:

:smug:

Knew it.

Viewers Like Me
Nov 4, 2004

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I went to the official site and it will be annouced at 2pm eastern time who the new doctor will be.
https://www.doctorwho.tv

Cloyster
Jun 26, 2011
I don't think I've ever been this excited for an announcement.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

Cloyster posted:

I don't think I've ever been this excited for an announcement.

Which obviously means it will be an anti-climax like all New Year's rolled into one big ball.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

James R posted:

I read ace Doctor and had Rick Mayall in my head. Then Chris Barrie.

Rik Mayall would be brilliant.

I hope it's Shatner if it's a man.

Pork Pie Hat fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 4, 2013

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Take all the Capaldi-talk to the main thread.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Ace... Ace.. Oh.

RIMMER? eh, smeg off.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Guess I'll put this in the spoiler thread since we know more about Hurt's Doctor.

Read an interesting theory on Capaldi's Doctor on Gallifreybase, wherein we might get a Watcher situation with Hurt's Doctor. Something like 11 finally accepts Hurt's character as worthy of the name Doctor and reincorporates him, resulting in 12. While the actor age thing between regenerations doesn't actually matter, the theory did strike a note with me. A younger Doctor with an older Doctor making a middle aged Doctor. That could also possibly somehow account for Hurt as a regeneration without messing up the number scheme.

The one thing working against that is I don't think Hurt is in the Christmas special, and I would think that type of situation would only happen if we can somehow address Hurt being accepted by the Doctor, and that would seem like something kept in the 50th special.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I wonder if that leaked script MTV had was legit, but a joke.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
The three Doctors in the TARDIS.

Apparently a teaser trailer was shown at the recent Edinburgh TV festival, and a fan took a snapshot (seems Moffat wasn't there to persuade them to do otherwise).

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.

Forktoss posted:

Apparently a teaser trailer was shown at the recent Edinburgh TV festival, and a fan took a snapshot (seems Moffat wasn't there to persuade them to do otherwise).

On the far right it almost looks like a ghost 10 next to Hurt. Possibly Hand10?

Shabaz
Apr 23, 2007
left handed
Possible seasons 8 spoiler: I've seen some rumours that []Hurt is part of season 8 (i.e. this and a deleted Hurt tweet}[/]. No idea how that would work in terms of story and I don't really want to know yet, but the possibility of having []two acting heavyweights like Capaldi and Hurt act alongside each other[/spoiler] in some episodes excites me tremendously.

Don't use spoiler tags in the spoiler thread. - Aatrek

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 26, 2013

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Forktoss posted:

That's pretty awesome and I really, really can't wait to see it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Illuen posted:

Nah, he just snapped the photo and caught the fade from the last image, you can see some other half faded artifacts on screen too.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Illuen posted:

If I wish hard enough it actually looks like Omega.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Umbra Dubium posted:

They should totally ask Peter Davison to play him.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Umbra Dubium posted:

If Omega wishes hard enough it is Omega.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

They should totally ask Peter Davison to play him.

That's been the rumor for a few months now. May not hold any water, but it's out there.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Shabaz posted:

Possible seasons 8 spoiler: I've seen some rumours that []Hurt is part of season 8 (i.e. this and a deleted Hurt tweet}[/]. No idea how that would work in terms of story and I don't really want to know yet, but the possibility of having []two acting heavyweights like Capaldi and Hurt act alongside each other[/spoiler] in some episodes excites me tremendously.

Don't use spoiler tags in the spoiler thread. - Aatrek

Don't think it's gonna happen and hope its not because I want to see Capaldi as the Doctor, but would be a great piece of misdirection if Capaldi was just a decoy who played along because he's such a big fan of the show.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Senor Tron posted:

Don't think it's gonna happen and hope its not because I want to see Capaldi as the Doctor, but would be a great piece of misdirection if Capaldi was just a decoy who played along because he's such a big fan of the show.

If they did some kind of fakeout that somehow led to Doctor Hurt being the real 12th Doctor and Capaldi being a one off after that huge introduction show it would be amazing. You have to admit, it's the most outrageous thing they could possibly do. They'd be fooling the world. A massive stunt for the 50th.

Maybe say Hurt could be the "Real 9" who was de-Doctored and Capaldi is indeed the 12th Doctor/13th Body. He is born and dies in the Christmas Special. Moffat does the MacGuffin story of giving the Doctor a new regeneration cycle in that same episode, and he can choose his next body and he chooses to give Doctor Hurt another chance. Bam, 4 years of John Hurt as The Doctor.

The one problem I could see is whether or not they need a long lead in time to write the next season. If they are already writing them before December then too many people might have to know who the Doctor is. But if they aren't airing til the fall of 2014, they might be able to wait til January to commission scripts. That's also a lot of story to tell in one hour.

Personally I'd rather see a Capaldi Doctor for a few years, but a Hurt one would by no means be a bad thing, and the sheer ballsiness of doing that stunt would be worth it. Kinda like my brief hope that RTD was going to really surprise regenerate 10 (but then he Handwaved it--literally).

Shabaz
Apr 23, 2007
left handed

Senor Tron posted:

If Hurt is really in season 8, I doubt it is anything beyond some returning guest spots. Not to actually take over as the Doctor instead of Capaldi. You can still see the deleted tweet by Hurt here. Not quite sure what the typo was supposed to be, but "Congratulations, Peter Capaldi. I'm suboth and we will have a lot of fun." seems to imply that he will do some acting alongside Capaldi.

And sorry about the spoiler tags, wasn't thinking.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, the Beeb were able to get him for Merlin on a recurring basis, so I suspect there's every possibility they could do the same for Who.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I don't know, doing a full series of Doctor Who is a pretty punishing schedule of running down corridors for a 73 year old.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

marktheando posted:

I don't know, doing a full series of Doctor Who is a pretty punishing schedule of running down corridors for a 73 year old.

They could always employ the ghost of Ian Marter to handle the physical stuff for him :v:

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
It would be nice to have Hurt pop in every few episodes, not just because of how awesome Hurt is as an actor, but just because there would be an absurdly awesome novelty of having the Doctor himself as a part time companion beyond just The X Doctor specials. Pending that if Hurt shows up in S8, it's actually him and not some agonized portion of the Doctor's psyche or a haunting memory or something. In small amounts, so as to not wear the premise thin, a couple of Doctors tooling around the universe, bickering at everything would be glorious in a regular series.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

Well, the Beeb were able to get him for Merlin on a recurring basis, so I suspect there's every possibility they could do the same for Who.

His Merlin work was like a day of V/O work in a studio sound room. It wasn't filming. Not that he couldn't do filming, it's just Merlin isn't really a good example.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, a poor choice in retrospect. It was the first one that occurred to me and now I can't think of a better example.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

Yeah, a poor choice in retrospect. It was the first one that occurred to me and now I can't think of a better example.

He can't be in anything more than a recurring character because he's signed up to play a major role in The Strain which goes to Pilot this year.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Astroman posted:

If they did some kind of fakeout that somehow led to Doctor Hurt being the real 12th Doctor and Capaldi being a one off after that huge introduction show it would be amazing. You have to admit, it's the most outrageous thing they could possibly do. They'd be fooling the world. A massive stunt for the 50th.

Maybe say Hurt could be the "Real 9" who was de-Doctored and Capaldi is indeed the 12th Doctor/13th Body. He is born and dies in the Christmas Special. Moffat does the MacGuffin story of giving the Doctor a new regeneration cycle in that same episode, and he can choose his next body and he chooses to give Doctor Hurt another chance. Bam, 4 years of John Hurt as The Doctor.

The one problem I could see is whether or not they need a long lead in time to write the next season. If they are already writing them before December then too many people might have to know who the Doctor is. But if they aren't airing til the fall of 2014, they might be able to wait til January to commission scripts. That's also a lot of story to tell in one hour.

Personally I'd rather see a Capaldi Doctor for a few years, but a Hurt one would by no means be a bad thing, and the sheer ballsiness of doing that stunt would be worth it. Kinda like my brief hope that RTD was going to really surprise regenerate 10 (but then he Handwaved it--literally).

It's never going to happen (for reasons which have already been elaborated on), but if they were insane enough to do it, I feel pretty confident in saying this would go over about as well as Microsoft's recent 180° turns regarding various policies on the Xbox One. Which is to say, about as well as a fart in church.

The fans that wanted Capaldi would feel ripped off. The fans that didn't want Capaldi wouldn't be placated by having John Hurt instead. Everyone would be made out to be a bunch of suckers, for taking it in good faith that the guy announced in a big BBC press release show as the next Doctor is in fact the next Doctor. It'd be the Great Doctor Who Swindle, with Moffat as Malcolm McLaren.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It'd be the Great Doctor Who Swindle, with Moffat as Malcolm McLaren.

He's already done this to us once already as well, when we all believed he'd be a good show runner. :downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

PriorMarcus posted:

He's already done this to us once already as well, when we all believed he'd be a good show runner. :downsrim:

At the end of the 50th anniversary special, David Tennant is going to turn to the camera and sneer "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated" at the audience before storming off. :v:

• Locked thread