Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
The only video files I can get to cast through Chrome to my Chromecast are mp4s (I can do mkv with no sound). I thought people were able to get avis to work, too. Is that not the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I think it'll depend on the actual video and audio formats in those files. AVI and MKV are both container formats, they could contain a hell of a lot of things that might not be supported (scroll to the bottom of those links). MP4 is a container too, but only for a handful of codecs, so it's more likely to just work

e- you could try this to see what you're working with:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaInfo
or the program that never grew up
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/GSpot

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 3, 2013

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Definitely going to pick one of these up when I visit the States shortly.

If I have it set up to stream from Google Music, is there any way to blank the screen? Or am I better off plugging the CC into a receiver with HDMI input and turning my screen off?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Slimchandi posted:

If I have it set up to stream from Google Music, is there any way to blank the screen? Or am I better off plugging the CC into a receiver with HDMI input and turning my screen off?

Do you just hate album art or something?

Curious mostly.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Slimchandi posted:

A warning that you might not be able to find a Chromecast on your trip - I'm in Austin, and the local Best Buys have been out of stock since the first shipment vanished. Either that or they've been selling out as fast as new units arrive.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Nihiliste posted:

A warning that you might not be able to find a Chromecast on your trip - I'm in Austin, and the local Best Buys have been out of stock since the first shipment vanished. Either that or they've been selling out as fast as new units arrive.

Yeah, our best buy here got 40 or something in when we picked up ours. They flat out said every single one was spoken for before they got of the truck, all in store pickups. None went to the shelf :(

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Two months ago, my future mother-in-law asked me what the easiest/cheapest way to get Netflix on her TV was and I told her that Apple TV was probably it but it cost $100. She decided not to bother.

Two days ago I told her about Chromecast and she ordered one almost immediately.

I think Google might have a serious gamechanger on their hands here.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
I'm on Windows 7, and I have the latest Chrome with the extension. Am I supposed to be able to cast my entire desktop? It only gives me the option to cast the tab or go to audio only.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="418111391"]
I'm on Windows 7, and I have the latest Chrome with the extension. Am I supposed to be able to cast my entire desktop? It only gives me the option to cast the tab or go to audio only.

When you click on the Chromecast button in Chrome, in the top right corner of the dialogue box, you should see a little/slightly grey'd out drop down arrow. There are two options from that drop down menu; cast current tab, or cast entire desktop.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005

EbolaIvory posted:

Do you just hate album art or something?

Curious mostly.

Just want to mimic a hifi experience as much as possible. If I can cast using my phone without needing another screen on, that seems like the best way. Also, I know what the album art looks like. Why do I need to see it every time I want to play the music?

Thanks for the tips about finding a Chromecast. I'll check in a couple of places, but I suppose it will become available in my country soon.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Slimchandi posted:

Go with the second option.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

lelandjs posted:

Two months ago, my future mother-in-law asked me what the easiest/cheapest way to get Netflix on her TV was and I told her that Apple TV was probably it but it cost $100. She decided not to bother.

Two days ago I told her about Chromecast and she ordered one almost immediately.

I think Google might have a serious gamechanger on their hands here.

Two or three years ago I would have agreed, but now it seems that every TV, blu-ray, and game console has Netflix built in so I'm not sure how many people like that are out there anymore. In fact, I'd say those people would rather have something they can browse with a remote rather than something controlled with their computer or smartphone.

It could still be a game changer though. I've got two consoles hooked up to my "smart" TV, which means I have three existing ways to watch Netflix on my TV. If I just want to watch a single episode of a TV show though I would just watch it on my computer instead of booting up a console or dealing with the terrible interface on the TV and browsing to find it. Now I'm watching a ton of stuff on my TV.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 5, 2013

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Slimchandi posted:

Just want to mimic a hifi experience as much as possible. If I can cast using my phone without needing another screen on, that seems like the best way. Also, I know what the album art looks like. Why do I need to see it every time I want to play the music?

Thanks for the tips about finding a Chromecast. I'll check in a couple of places, but I suppose it will become available in my country soon.

Because unlocking your phone every time a new song comes on gets annoying. Then again, You may not lock your device.

I really like the on screen album art and track info. Plus it shows me volume and other things when I push buttons. Personal Preference I guess. :)

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005

EbolaIvory posted:

Because unlocking your phone every time a new song comes on gets annoying. Then again, You may not lock your device.

My collection is almost exclusively albums, and I normally play things back in album playlists from GPM. I'm assuming Chromecast would work the same - I can use Play Music to cast an album to my screen.

What happens to mean I would need to unlock my phone everytime the track changes?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

When are all of these additional apps coming out? Google said adding support could be done in less than 200 lines of code. I'm impatient.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Slimchandi posted:

My collection is almost exclusively albums, and I normally play things back in album playlists from GPM. I'm assuming Chromecast would work the same - I can use Play Music to cast an album to my screen.

What happens to mean I would need to unlock my phone everytime the track changes?

To change track no, Your lock screen controls work like normal. Volume depending on device is locked though, I know my HTC One wont let volume be changed to the chromecast if its locked.

And Yeah, Changing playlists obviously requires an unlock.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

When are all of these additional apps coming out? Google said adding support could be done in less than 200 lines of code. I'm impatient.

Depends on the other devs. Google doesn't have any control over this.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Not true, Google has complete control over this. The SDK is a preview, and right now developers can add apps to Chromecasts they add to a developer whitelist, but it is impossible for anyone to release any new apps with Chromecast until Google says so.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sure, but the person wanting to add Chromecast support to their app has to do their thing first. I don't think that Google is going out and submitting patches for this to every project that they can find.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

teagone posted:

When you click on the Chromecast button in Chrome, in the top right corner of the dialogue box, you should see a little/slightly grey'd out drop down arrow. There are two options from that drop down menu; cast current tab, or cast entire desktop.

Yeah, I only have the option to cast the tab or cast in audio mode.

Regarding other apps, local media and cloud storage playing is coming soon from BubbleUpnp. And RSS casting is coming from Clockworkmod.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...ile-to-your-tv/

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

quote:

Unfortunately we're quite a way from seeing this kind of functionality come to BubbleUPnP or similar apps. At the moment Google isn't allowing distribution - the video demonstrations are using a preview API and whitelisted Chromecasts on a developer build. Google is waiting for a stabilized API before it allows devs to publish or update apps. But the SDK is already in the hands of app developers, so it's only a matter of time before we'll see this kind of expanded streaming hit the Chromecast. Nice going, guys.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

wa27 posted:

Two or three years ago I would have agreed, but now it seems that every TV, blu-ray, and game console has Netflix built in so I'm not sure how many people like that are out there anymore. In fact, I'd say those people would rather have something they can browse with a remote rather than something controlled with their computer or smartphone.

The main thing I like is its portability and wi-fi capability.

I was at my parent's house this weekend with a good TV but no internet connected to it. The CC solved this issue and even allowed me to watch Twitch streams on it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="418122606"]
Yeah, I only have the option to cast the tab or cast in audio mode.

Weird. Guess you could try uninstalling the extension. Maybe there are certain requirements in order to be able to stream your PC/Mac's entire desktop?

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I wish Netflix would push a fix to their Android app for Nexus 4's. Every time I use Netflix, it hard-crashes my phone and requires a restart. :(

I hope they're not dragging their feet because it only seems to affect Nexus 4 owners!

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

syphon posted:

I wish Netflix would push a fix to their Android app for Nexus 4's. Every time I use Netflix, it hard-crashes my phone and requires a restart. :(

I hope they're not dragging their feet because it only seems to affect Nexus 4 owners!

I'm worried about whether they might have inadvertently uncovered some sort of OS level vulnerability. Sure, maybe they're accidentally executing garbage, but it could easily be an exploit vector.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It would likely affect the Nexus 7/10 if that were the case too, and it doesn't.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
What are some other retailers other than Best Buy in the US that sell these things? My parents are going to the US in a couple of weeks so I am tasking them with the mission to pick one of these up for me. If it makes any difference, i think they will be in New York, Philly, Boston, Washington DC and LA.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

I tried renting a movie from Google Play last night and it wouldn't play for poo poo. Played for two minutes, stopped to buffer, played for another two minutes, then stopped and never restarted.

I tried downloading it on my phone to see if it would help, knowing full well it doesn't work that way. That just caused some weird licencing errors.

I resorted to just watching it on my phone :smith:

For what it's worth my internet is kind of lovely, but Netflix streams HD just fine to the Chromecast.

syphon posted:

Me too. In the meantime, I have noticed the bug doesn't seem to occur if the phone is plugged in.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Does anyone know how to see their netflix 3 month chromecast promotion balance in their netflix account? I don't see that in my account anywhere, even though i know i applied it.

The Dude
Nov 18, 2000
Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude.

Mister Fister posted:

Does anyone know how to see their netflix 3 month chromecast promotion balance in their netflix account? I don't see that in my account anywhere, even though i know i applied it.
Under my DVD plan details (https://dvd.netflix.com/Terms), it says "You are currently on a gift subscription. Applied on with an intial value of . You have remaining." However, the fact that it seems to have placeholders for the date and value that aren't filled in isn't all that reassuring. My next billing date is 8/16 so I'll check then, otherwise I think the only way to find out for sure is to call Netflix.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mister Fister posted:

I just did a chat with customer support to ask if my promotion code went through (I got an error initially, then when I tried to enter it again, it said I already used the code). The service rep told me the code was applied. Only took like 3 minutes or so to get the confirmation that my free 3 months starts in 2 days.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I ordered my chromecast on July 26 and just got an email from amazon letting me know they have no idea when they will get to my order and they will update me in 30 days :stare:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Go buy it at the store.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Nearest Best Buy is like an hour away and none in stock according to the web. Google Play is 3-4 weeks as well.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I ordered mine from Google around the same time and right now it tells me that it should ship by August 16. I ordered straight from Google because it seems likely that they would be the first to get it back in stock and I don't want one badly enough to actually go to Best Buy if they even had them in.

edit: When I placed the order it said that it would ship in 3-4 weeks. Sometime in the last few days it changed to "by August 16".

withak fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 6, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Also on the Google front at least, mine originally said it was going to ship on the 7th (and I ordered on launch day) but it shipped on the 29th instead. So it's entirely possible they could ship out a fair amount before the ETA.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

teagone posted:

I just did a chat with customer support to ask if my promotion code went through (I got an error initially, then when I tried to enter it again, it said I already used the code). The service rep told me the code was applied. Only took like 3 minutes or so to get the confirmation that my free 3 months starts in 2 days.

I did the same. I got an error when applying, then it said it was already used. There is no indication in the system that you have a code or credit.

They said it's there, and that I won't get billed next bill date, lets hope it's true.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

nerox posted:

Nearest Best Buy is like an hour away and none in stock according to the web. Google Play is 3-4 weeks as well.

It wouldn't matter you have more closer. I have about 15 Best Buys within a 20 minute drive and all are sold out completely and have been since the day of release. There isn't even a place on the shelf for it right now as far as I can tell.

I'm assuming Best Buy was the only retail partner for these things?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Best Buy's website said they were out, I went into one next to a Home Depot the next day and they had 20 in stock. I wish I would have bought extras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Mister Fister posted:

On my account page (streaming only) it has a line about "pre-paid 1 month with promotional credit (2 months remaining)". I was billed on the 4th and it didn't charge my card, so I assume the next two months will be paid from the credit as well automatically.

• Locked thread