Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Sandisk Extreme doesn't come with a converter/adapter but with an SSD they don't really need to be super secure because they have no moving parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Yeah, for airflow reasons I just tape them to whatever's handy. They're hardy suckers, they'll be fine. Save the HDD cages for HDDs, if they're not horizontally or vertically aligned their moving parts face more resistance than necessary.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Agreed posted:

Yeah, for airflow reasons I just tape them to whatever's handy.
Seconding that solution. When I got one I stopped at the craft store while getting groceries and got some adhesive velcro. Works fine for keeping the ssd stuck down even if I move the computer, but still easily removable. Since I will probably have this case as long as ATX exists, whenever I get a new one I'll just get more velcro.

Some people who never move their computer just leave them lying on the bottom of the case.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I'm not getting an SSD right now, but I plan on it in the nearish (next 6 months) future. In planning for this, I imagine I should just keep my Windows partition below whatever capacity I aim at (probably a 240GB drive, so I'd probably just aim at the Windows partition around 100GB), right, then clone it over and repair install? Or will I have to do a full reinstall?

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

If you're coming from a hard drive, a full reinstall would be better. SSDs are very picky about partition alignment.

When I migrated, I tried a middle approach of partitioning the SSD and then cloning into the resulting partitions. Files got across, but the Windows bootloader was hosed and I couldn't repair it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So I have an SSD I currently use on my desktop as a primary hard drive (240gb). I want to go ahead and pull it out and use it as an external hard drive for my laptop (I'm going to law school and don't need my desktop anymore) so I'm looking at SSD enclosures.

Is there anything yall recommend or have things to watch out for? Mine is a 2.5" Intel SSD I bought like 4 months ago.

Also, should I just format it? If I'm not going to be booting from it at all I could just empty it out completely right? Should I make it FAT or NTFS or what?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is there a reason you don't swap it with the 2.5" HDD in your laptop and make that the external drive?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

beejay posted:

Sandisk Extreme doesn't come with a converter/adapter but with an SSD they don't really need to be super secure because they have no moving parts.

I bought mine in a 'desktop' edition or something that came with a bracket I think

Packstand
Sep 22, 2012
So what is the absolute best boot drive now, within reasonable price range? I want pretty decent amount of storage as well (128-500gb)

Upgrading from an OCZ Vertex 3 128gb, and I have a budget of like $200. Could go past $200 if it's the be all end all upgrade.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Arguably Samsung 840 Evo for best price:performance, it has some neat as poo poo features and a good dollar per GB ratio.

I went with a Sandisk Extreme 480GB even though it suffers some performance loss compared to the 240GB Sandforce models, just don't want to take any chances even though by all accounts Samsung's firmware ought to be very trustworthy.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
My Sandisk Extreme 120GB extracts 10GB files 10 seconds slower (oh boy) than my Samsung 830 256GB does. Who gives a legitimate gently caress? Pick whichever one you can get the best deal on from the top 3 known reliable drives right now (Sandisk Extreme, 840 Pro, Mushkin Chronos) at whatever size you want

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So here is a sort of unique question, WS2012 R2 supports tiered storage pools, where the rotational drives function as the HDD tier, store unused/rarely used "cold" slabs of data, and the often used "hot" slabs of data are stored on the SSD tier, and the OS supposedly smartly manages what is hot and what's not

So this would require an SSD with a high read/write capability, probably in the 128-256gb range, that could be replaced every 2-3 years I guess? Would any of the recommended SSDs work, or am I going to need something more specific for this task?

Preferably under $150...

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
I'm looking to get my first SSD and so far it looks like I'll go for the Samsung 840 Evo when it launches. Does anyone know the expected release date?

One question: I have a Sabertooth P67 with 2 SATA 6gb/s ports. Is this equivalent to SATA 3? I just want to make sure I have the equipment to even make proper use of an SSD.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Haeleus posted:

I'm looking to get my first SSD and so far it looks like I'll go for the Samsung 840 Evo when it launches. Does anyone know the expected release date?

One question: I have a Sabertooth P67 with 2 SATA 6gb/s ports. Is this equivalent to SATA 3? I just want to make sure I have the equipment to even make proper use of an SSD.

You have two Intel SATA3 ports. Yes. 6Gbps, SATA3, the same. All good. The brown ones on your board http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/SABERTOOTH_P67/

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.

HalloKitty posted:

You have two Intel SATA3 ports. Yes. 6Gbps, SATA3, the same. All good. The brown ones on your board http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/SABERTOOTH_P67/

Fantastic, thanks. Now to wait until the Evo goes on sale.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

I'm not sure if this is the right thread? What in the holy gently caress is wrong with the Samsung Magician software? It makes every app from MPC, VLC to "any" game not be fullscreen. Not like it has to be running all the time but I'm just wondering why it's not mentioned more. Happens on 2 of my computers with samsung SSD's and their software. I obviously quit it and prevent it from running on boot.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

z06ck posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread? What in the holy gently caress is wrong with the Samsung Magician software? It makes every app from MPC, VLC to "any" game not be fullscreen. Not like it has to be running all the time but I'm just wondering why it's not mentioned more. Happens on 2 of my computers with samsung SSD's and their software. I obviously quit it and prevent it from running on boot.

Isn't that a required app for using their new RAPID technology that saw PCI-E level results out of the SATA3 840 Evo SSDs? Hrm, wonder if that's a broad problem. If so kind of a downer though probably less of an issue for professional usage where that kind of speed would benefit (then again, the professional usage scenario runs up against where they perform the worst, too - when they're being constantly hammered and even queued TRIMs don't happen).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is there a reason you don't swap it with the 2.5" HDD in your laptop and make that the external drive?

My laptop has an internal SSD already! But it's only 128gb and this SSD will be doing nothing if I don't find something to do with it.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Agreed posted:

Isn't that a required app for using their new RAPID technology that saw PCI-E level results out of the SATA3 840 Evo SSDs? Hrm, wonder if that's a broad problem. If so kind of a downer though probably less of an issue for professional usage where that kind of speed would benefit (then again, the professional usage scenario runs up against where they perform the worst, too - when they're being constantly hammered and even queued TRIMs don't happen).

I'm not sure how to respond to your reply as they're usually in-depth and concise. I answered myself, their software is garbage so I'll leave it at that.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Packstand posted:

So what is the absolute best boot drive now, within reasonable price range? I want pretty decent amount of storage as well (128-500gb)

Upgrading from an OCZ Vertex 3 128gb, and I have a budget of like $200. Could go past $200 if it's the be all end all upgrade.

If the Vertex 3 isn't dying, wait a bit. It's an SF-2281 drive, same as the Sandisk Extreme and Mushkin Enhanced Chronos that are so popular these days. SSDs are already so fast that doubling performance barely affects user experience, and most modern drives aren't really gonna be a major upgrade. Buy a new drive only if you're having problems or if you want more storage.

Hadlock posted:

So here is a sort of unique question, WS2012 R2 supports tiered storage pools, where the rotational drives function as the HDD tier, store unused/rarely used "cold" slabs of data, and the often used "hot" slabs of data are stored on the SSD tier, and the OS supposedly smartly manages what is hot and what's not

So this would require an SSD with a high read/write capability, probably in the 128-256gb range, that could be replaced every 2-3 years I guess? Would any of the recommended SSDs work, or am I going to need something more specific for this task?

Preferably under $150...

If you don't use it as a write cache, then pretty much any SSD will do. For "hot" data, it sounds like that's written sequentially when needed, rather than randomly accessed.

I can't think of any special performance needs that would require.

wang souffle
Apr 26, 2002
What's a reasonably priced and reliable drive 120GB or smaller? All of the 'reliability nut' recommendations are pretty huge. I just need something basic for a server OS drive where performance is not critical.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

wang souffle posted:

What's a reasonably priced and reliable drive 120GB or smaller? All of the 'reliability nut' recommendations are pretty huge. I just need something basic for a server OS drive where performance is not critical.
The Corsair Force GT 120GB for $109.99 is a good option.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
So I was rummaging around my closet for something and I stumbled across my dead Macbook Air. The Air was murdered by my cat because she hates coffee or something. From Apple, I know most of the Air is built into the board and mostly nothing is modifiable, but can the SSD be removed for a Windows boot drive? It's tiny, 64GB, but hey, it's there...

Also, will Bad Things Happen if it's damaged from the coffee and I don't know it? My troubleshooting tells me it works, but when the rest of the machine is straight hosed it's frankly hard to tell.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
There exists an adaptor that converts from the MBA connector to regular SATA. It costs about $15.

Don't forget that different generation MBAs have different connectors, and the ooooold MBAs are PATA ssds.

Honestly if it's older than 2011 it's not really worth it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Wild EEPROM posted:

There exists an adaptor that converts from the MBA connector to regular SATA. It costs about $15.

The only bad thing about this is that it'd be longer than a 2.5" SSD so while you couldn't use it in a laptop, you could still fit it in a desktop.

The other option would be to buy an enclosure from OWC for the MacBook Air SSD. Probably be $40-$50 though, and that's about what a new or lightly used regular 2.5" SSD would cost.

I have my 128GB rMBP SSD in an OWC Envoy USB 3.0 enclosure and I really have no drat use for the thing. I use a 1TB USB 3.0 HD for backups and USB jump drives for files < 8GB

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Speaking of Macs, anyone have a Crucial M4 256GB that would want to trade for a 240GB Chronos (non-Deluxe), straight up?

The reason is I have a Mac with the older NVIDIA chipset and the SATA controller doesn't auto-negotiate with Sandforce drives @ SATA 3Gbs, just 1.5Gbs.

edit: I'd consider an Intel 510 (and maybe some other non-SF drive of the same size)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Bob Morales posted:

Speaking of Macs, anyone have a Crucial M4 256GB that would want to trade for a 240GB Chronos (non-Deluxe), straight up?

The reason is I have a Mac with the older NVIDIA chipset and the SATA controller doesn't auto-negotiate with Sandforce drives @ SATA 3Gbs, just 1.5Gbs.

And you've already asked Mushkin for a compatible firmware to flash and they've refused?

Suggestion: Do this. Hopefully minus the refused part. I know Sandisk has them so I'm assuming that other Micron-based SSD manufacturers won't be looking at you like you grew an extra head when you ask.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

And you've already asked Mushkin for a compatible firmware to flash and they've refused?

Suggestion: Do this. Hopefully minus the refused part. I know Sandisk has them so I'm assuming that other Micron-based SSD manufacturers won't be looking at you like you grew an extra head when you ask.
From Mushkin's support site:

quote:

Unfortunately no a firmware update will not set the negotiated link speed to 3Gb/s.
The NVIDIA chipset will run at SATA 1.5 with a Sandforce SATA3 drive, the only way to fix it would be to use a SATA2 drive, like the Callisto.
See if your place of purchase will exchange for a Callisto(SATA2) drive.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Wild EEPROM posted:

Don't forget that different generation MBAs have different connectors, and the ooooold MBAs are PATA ssds.

Honestly if it's older than 2011 it's not really worth it.

Bob Morales posted:

The only bad thing about this is that it'd be longer than a 2.5" SSD so while you couldn't use it in a laptop, you could still fit it in a desktop.

The other option would be to buy an enclosure from OWC for the MacBook Air SSD. Probably be $40-$50 though, and that's about what a new or lightly used regular 2.5" SSD would cost.

I have my 128GB rMBP SSD in an OWC Envoy USB 3.0 enclosure and I really have no drat use for the thing. I use a 1TB USB 3.0 HD for backups and USB jump drives for files < 8GB
Thanks. It's newer and it would be for a desktop, but it doesn't sound exactly worth it if I need to buy an adapter--and I assure you, I'm not finding it locally--and since I'd be replacing it with a larger one in ~6 months or so (I'm building a computer and at my budget I skipped the SSD).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Thanks. It's newer and it would be for a desktop, but it doesn't sound exactly worth it if I need to buy an adapter--and I assure you, I'm not finding it locally--and since I'd be replacing it with a larger one in ~6 months or so (I'm building a computer and at my budget I skipped the SSD).

Stock 64GB SSD's are like stock 2GB RAM chips, they just go to waste because anything that can use them, really needs something bigger

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
SanDisk Extreme II, yay or nay?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
What's the best benchmarking tool for a Mac? I want a before-and-after.

Lincoln fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 6, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Lincoln posted:

What's the best benchmarking tool for a Mac? I want a before-and-after.

Blackmagic is free from the app store

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Guni posted:

SanDisk Extreme II, yay or nay?
New (2 months old) and thus unproven and potentially risky. That said, the Extreme II is essentially a double-wide Ultra Plus and that drive seems to be doing fine so far, but may not have sold enough volume for us to know with confidence. So the upshot is that I'm still not confident recommending them, but they seem fine so far and I will probably start recommending them in a month or so if I don't hear anything bad.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
Anecdotal I know, but my Crucial M4 512 is still trucking, in my 2012 MacBook Pro as the boot drive no less. It has the firmware that fixes the uptime bug but otherwise I haven't dared upgrade or touch it. I did have to reformat when moving from my old non-unibody MBP... there was some kind of crazy alignment issue (not with the SSD itself) that made the partition unreadable to the EFI bootloader.

Also, many thanks to this thread for the advice. I just replaced the optical drive with a Samsung 840 (non-pro) 512; I got sick of not being able to run my dev VMs without an external HDD. Performance is spectacular and the price was great.

Plus I'm not using a plate of spinning iron oxide anymore, like a loving animal.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Ender.uNF posted:

Anecdotal I know, but my Crucial M4 512 is still trucking, in my 2012 MacBook Pro as the boot drive no less. It has the firmware that fixes the uptime bug but otherwise I haven't dared upgrade or touch it. I did have to reformat when moving from my old non-unibody MBP... there was some kind of crazy alignment issue (not with the SSD itself) that made the partition unreadable to the EFI bootloader.

Mine is still running and except for that one hiccup a few months ago has run without problems. About a month ago I switched from a BIOS Sata2 IDE board to a UEFI Sata3 AHCI one and except for installing a few drivers in Windows there were exactly 0 problems.

Maybe it's luck, who knows.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

From Mushkin's support site:

For future reference, the Sandisk Extreme drives have a firmware specifically for issues with SATA I/II/III compatibility.

I had to use it in an old PowerPC system. It obviously doesn't have an NVidia chipset, but its barely-SATA I chipset just couldn't work with the Sandisk Extreme drive until I flashed the alternative firmware.

They call it a Mac/NVidia-compatible firmware, but it is for any system that has a SATA I chipset that doesn't work with SATA III drives.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

For future reference, the Sandisk Extreme drives have a firmware specifically for issues with SATA I/II/III compatibility.

I had to use it in an old PowerPC system. It obviously doesn't have an NVidia chipset, but its barely-SATA I chipset just couldn't work with the Sandisk Extreme drive until I flashed the alternative firmware.

They call it a Mac/NVidia-compatible firmware, but it is for any system that has a SATA I chipset that doesn't work with SATA III drives.

So does OCZ, a long time ago I had a 2008 MacBook with the same chipset and Agility 3, their SSD Toolbox software lets you lock the drive at 3.0 speeds.

It's still way faster than the stock HD at 1.5Gbs, but some people have other issues with that chipset involving lockups and beachballs and not sleeping.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I have a laptop (Thinkpad x230) with a Samsung 840 non-Pro 250GB in it. I'd like to use the built in encryption, if I set the hard disk password does that enable encryption for everything that's already on it? It seems too simple.

Also is there any way I can test to see if the encryption has worked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Is the Kingston Hyper X http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820239045 decent?

or SSD Now V300 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820721107

• Locked thread