Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Shadowmorn posted:

Awesome. Its one of the reasons why i keep coming back to Shadow Magic whenever i get an itch for this kind of game. :3:

Just spoke to my boss about the Dev Journals, and he said that it's likely we'll make one covering the level editor and random map generator. We're still pushing for alpha at the moment though, so it might take a couple of weeks before anyone has time to write one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Can you still enchant customized items for your heroes?

If so, is it restricted to certain leader types?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

avoraciopoctules posted:

Can you still enchant customized items for your heroes?

If so, is it restricted to certain leader types?

Yeah, you'll be able to enchant items. I don't think it's locked off for any leader types, but the design for who can use which enchantments and how they're unlocked is still a bit up in the air.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
http://www.ageofwonders.com/dev-journal-composing-the-sounds-of-wonders/

It has AOW3 sound clips! :haw: Good stuff so far, Okay, this is fantastic stuff, can hear some revisits to older music that's been touched up too. Hope this ships separately with the game, either in the box or as a cheap purchase!

http://www.ageofwonders.com/dev-journal-visualising-the-battlefields/

quote:

GENERATING THE PANORAMAS

With the worlds now being 3D, we decided to make full 360 degrees panoramas around your environment. This gives you a sense of the scale of the world and adds to the immersion. The default camera is more top down, but players are free to move the camera around similar to Total War, and you see the environment in entry/exit camera pans.

These background panoramas are dependent on the hexagons that surround the battle hex on the strategic map. So if you have an army that attacks you from the mountains, a mountain range will also show behind the attacking force on the tactical map.

Okay, thats a nice touch.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 17, 2013

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

http://www.ageofwonders.com/dev-journal-monster-dwellings-and-independent-settlements/

Undead archon mercenaries confirmed.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
The stuff in http://www.ageofwonders.com/dev-journal-what-happened-after-shadow-magic-story-part-ii/ is interesting too.

Plus that twist with the Archons. :allears: Updated 2nd post with new dev journals, powers and lore of storm giants is another semi-interesting read.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
http://www.ageofwonders.com/dev-journal-heroic-quests-and-epic-loot/

Nice to see quests are getting improved, plus the ability to give out competitive quest chains for multiplayer maps sounds :krad: , theres been a few more dev journals but i keep the 2nd post updated with them rather then clutter the thread.

Also i missed the bit saying AOW3 was delayed until 2014, and i am fine with this. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/07/19/delaying-the-age-of-wonders-3/

Rather a good game later then a bad game now. :colbert: Im'ma looking at you, Elemental.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Hooray for point-buy loot rewards! Announcing a DLC to make Frostlings and Undead playable is all that's needed to go from Best Game to, uh, Bester Game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Gameplay video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgke9Bcy_vU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It is good that all of the old sound effects are in there.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Gotta say, those 3D models look pretty crummy to me, but maybe that's an alpha thing. Not that I personally care but a lot of people tend to judge games by their visuals.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Taerkar posted:

It is good that all of the old sound effects are in there.

Hah yeah, wave of nostalgia just washed over me. Game looks great!

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Kanfy posted:

Gotta say, those 3D models look pretty crummy to me, but maybe that's an alpha thing. Not that I personally care but a lot of people tend to judge games by their visuals.

Most of the units/terrain stuff looks fine, but the hero portraits do look pretty terrible.

Something about the whole interface just looks really weird to me though. It looks ... I dunno, like something you'd expect to see in Civ5? It doesn't feel very fantasy like to me. Interface stuff always changes a ton before release though.

Game looks pretty darn good, I like how they emphasized all of the uniqueness of each unit in the combat. Also it seems that there is unit facing now?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
There is nothing in this I did not like.

Though, did it look like the tanks didn't have friendly fire? He hit a bunch of cannonballs right by his fire tank and it didn't care.

Also the Archon skeleton dude model was amazing. He was just so awesomely goofy looking :allears: I hope that's an intentional art style choice.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Most of the units/terrain stuff looks fine, but the hero portraits do look pretty terrible.

Something about the whole interface just looks really weird to me though. It looks ... I dunno, like something you'd expect to see in Civ5? It doesn't feel very fantasy like to me. Interface stuff always changes a ton before release though.

Game looks pretty darn good, I like how they emphasized all of the uniqueness of each unit in the combat. Also it seems that there is unit facing now?

Even if it is just fantasy Civ 5 I would have no problem about that. I've been waiting forever for the Fall From Heaven 2 mod to make its way onto Civ 5.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Leal posted:

Even if it is just fantasy Civ 5 I would have no problem about that. I've been waiting forever for the Fall From Heaven 2 mod to make its way onto Civ 5.

Oh yes, I noticed they also draw the tile resource values right on the map just like Civ as well now. So there you go!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Splicer posted:

There is nothing in this I did not like.

Though, did it look like the tanks didn't have friendly fire? He hit a bunch of cannonballs right by his fire tank and it didn't care.

Also the Archon skeleton dude model was amazing. He was just so awesomely goofy looking :allears: I hope that's an intentional art style choice.

The cannons do a direct-line attack and he positioned them so that the flame tank wasn't in the line of fire.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
So I'm guessing that if you play an Elf Dreadnought you'll get Elf musketeers?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Personally would have waited for the Landship to come back for support but drat that mana core spell is devastating.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Taerkar posted:

The cannons do a direct-line attack and he positioned them so that the flame tank wasn't in the line of fire.
But didn't the one that hit the wall do an aoe damage? Or did I mishear and it went through the wall and into the archers?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The latter I believe.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
In that case I reiterate my statement that there is nothing in that video I did not like.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
What a great video. :allears: The units were nicely animated and the game world looked pretty as heck. Reassuring stuff, my cautious optimism remains well placed.

I wonder if the cityscape battleground gets bigger if you have more forces flanking the defenders? It looked nice to see the focus being on the actual part that mattered but i hope thats not a sign they are shrinking the scale of city sieges. They tend to turn into the more brutal meatgrinders in some maps, 'specially AOW1.

Also 6 units per stack huh? Thats interesting to see.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I liked that the ground train demolished the forests it went through, picking up gold and resources along the way. Way to give industrial races that extra destructive oomph.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Taerkar posted:

That's correct. The attack also does less damage to units behind obstacles, if you pay close attention you can see it glitching in the video. At around 7:15, the horned god gets shot through a wall, and the combat preview displays 7-11 damage, but the shot does 27 damage. This is because the preview sees the wall and reduces the damage the guy takes, but when the ability is activated, it destroys the wall first, so the code that damages the horned god doesn't apply the damage penalty.

Rabhadh posted:

So I'm guessing that if you play an Elf Dreadnought you'll get Elf musketeers?

Sort of, being a dreadnaught unlocks the ability to build musketeers, the race depends on the race of the city that builds the units. So, a draconian city will produce fire resistant musketeers, while an elven city will produce musketeers who can move better through forests. Playing as an elf does mean you're start city will probably be an elf one.

Most class specific units work this way, with the exception of unique things like land ships.

Shadowmorn posted:

I wonder if the cityscape battleground gets bigger if you have more forces flanking the defenders?

I'm afraid not. We experimented with various ways of making the city maps so they'd more closely match the situation on the world map, but none of them really worked. Either the city ended up looking comically small, or you ended up with huge maps that took forever to play through and were too expensive for our art/design team to make.

It would have been awesome if we'd managed to have AoW1 style tactical maps that had roads and walls and things that matched the world map, but it just wasn't practical :(

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

This is deffo something I'm keeping my eye on. Any chance of a Christmas release?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

PiCroft posted:

Any chance of a Christmas release?
They're aiming for a Q1 2014 release.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Its a pre-purchase for me whatever the release date

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Gerblyn posted:

I'm afraid not. We experimented with various ways of making the city maps so they'd more closely match the situation on the world map, but none of them really worked. Either the city ended up looking comically small, or you ended up with huge maps that took forever to play through and were too expensive for our art/design team to make.

It would have been awesome if we'd managed to have AoW1 style tactical maps that had roads and walls and things that matched the world map, but it just wasn't practical :(

It looks gorgeous nevertheless, cities in AOW2 looked lacking and, as you phrase it, comically small. Happy to see you went with a "make it pretty and meaningful looking!" instead. :3:

Demiurge4 posted:

I liked that the ground train demolished the forests it went through, picking up gold and resources along the way. Way to give industrial races that extra destructive oomph.

Thats a nice thematic touch too. Going with the assumption that it is a attribute, like Path of Decay, for the Landboat that might find its way into other units.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
What were all the confirmed playable races again? I can't seem to find the list in the OP, and searching the whole thread is :effort:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Veyrall posted:

What were all the confirmed playable races again? I can't seem to find the list in the OP, and searching the whole thread is :effort:
No Undead, no Frostlings :argh:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Veyrall posted:

High Elves, Draconians, Dwarves, Humans, Orcs and Goblins.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

After playing a bit of shadow magic last weekend I'm more excited about hexes. Moving in that game can be a bit of a pain with you having to make a bunch of tiny steps due to the fog of war being much shorter than your movement range. I also really love the divorcing of race with class/aliment. Steampunk environment hating elves here I come!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Veyrall posted:

Updated the OP to fix that lack of information. :v:

Thankya.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Inspired by the recent updates, a friend and I loaded up some Shadow Magic co-op action. Ended up going to sleep at 4 AM. The game still has it's magic, even after all these years. I can't wait for AoW3 to land.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I...genuinely never even thought of looking in the faq, and now I feel a little bit dim.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Splicer posted:

No Undead, no Frostlings :argh:

The Archons look kind of undead now. At least the gameplay video said that the Archon giant thing was an undead construct.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Demiurge4 posted:

The Archons look kind of undead now. At least the gameplay video said that the Archon giant thing was an undead construct.

quote:

The Necropolis is inhabited by the archon revenants. These fallen archons haunt the lands now. In ancient history they were the hunters of all things evil, but now they have become what they fought before .

http://www.ageofwonders.com/dev-journal-monster-dwellings-and-independent-settlements/

The Archons have become the very thing they hunted and hated, it seems.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
The Frostlings also discovered beaches and surfing in their conquests which led to their untimely demise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Demiurge4 posted:

Sorry, I should have been clearer. No Frostlings, no Undead as playable sides :argh:

• Locked thread