Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

dreffen posted:

It's slightly off topic here but with X-Com: The Bureau coming this month, and kinda soon at that, was anyone planning on making a thread for it? If not I would but I've never made one, an figured I'd ask because I figure there's got to be some interest for it

I am not terribly amped about The Bureau so I wasn't. I don't care about it being discussed in here for now, though I agree that when the game drops it will probably need its own thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I actually kind of wish you fought paranoid human separatists or something. People who want to embrace the alien invasion and ally with them, perhaps even a counter- X-com initiative. You could fight humans with your class abilities (swoon as you get scoped by a sniper you can't see!), Zhang's criminal syndicate, or alien-human hybrids.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Lotish posted:

I actually kind of wish you fought paranoid human separatists or something. People who want to embrace the alien invasion and ally with them, perhaps even a counter- X-com initiative. You could fight humans with your class abilities (swoon as you get scoped by a sniper you can't see!), Zhang's criminal syndicate, or alien-human hybrids.

This was totally a thing in Apocalypse.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Coolguye posted:

This was totally a thing in Apocalypse.
The Cult of Sirius was my best friend in Apocalypse. I treated them like Xcom's piggybank. I threw in some hot lead and cooked grenades and out came soldiers with combat experience, loot and cash. By the end of the game I almost felt sorry for them, since I had them so far into the red that they would never really recover from it.

But then I remembered that they were filthy alien worshipers and sent a few hovercars to bomb their church into oblivion for the third time that month :v:

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Lotish posted:

Urgh. I really dislike how the camera and cursor whatever interact with some interiors, specifically that train in the second Slingshot mission. I tried to move Zhang into full cover inside the train and the game decided at the last second I wanted to be on top of the train instead. Zhang immediately died on the enemy phase, foretelling a cascade of bad luck and angry decisions that led to a full wipe. And it was Ironman, too.

Are you me? I did the exact same thing yesterday. Right into a skinny man and muton in overwatch.

edit: also had a glitch where I went to toss a frag grenade but instead it moved my character... right into a pack of three aliens, which in turn kill my favorite, most advanced guy. That was a mission reload.

Burning_Monk fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 5, 2013

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Jetamo posted:

So if it wasn't already evident, Enemy Within appears to be an Enemy Unknown DLC/Expansion. The more you know.

This is great to hear but I want to see something about it. drat it, Firaxis. :argh:

Coolguye posted:

I am not terribly amped about The Bureau so I wasn't. I don't care about it being discussed in here for now, though I agree that when the game drops it will probably need its own thread.

I went ahead and made one anyway because I figured why not. I didn't mean to try to derail the thread with Bureau talk, just figured it would be the best place to see if anyone was planning to create a thread or what have you.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

dreffen posted:

I went ahead and made one anyway because I figured why not. I didn't mean to try to derail the thread with Bureau talk, just figured it would be the best place to see if anyone was planning to create a thread or what have you.

Like I said, I don't really care that much. We have been talking about Bureau in here for months off and on because they haven't released enough information to bother with a thread. Yours will definitely be needed when the game drops though so I'll do my best to ferry people to your thread.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Groetgaffel posted:

Enemy Within is actually going to be a dating simulator set in the X-Com universe. :v:

In seriousness, I'm totally going to buy Enemy Within as soon as I can, regardless of what it is.
I bought Slingshot just for hats. I regret nothing.

I hear that. Besides, I've still got a fair bit of XCOM in me before I shelve the game once and for all. There are still achievements to get! :D

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

dereku posted:

Sorry mate you lost your chance until you start a new game.

You can do the first mission and then put mission 2 and 3 on hold for a little

:xcom:

Dumb way of doing it. Oh well, back to old-fashioned alien murderin'.

Speaking of old-fashioned alien murderin', the Xenonauts beta is hella good fun, if by "fun" you mean "Oh sweet christ stop shooting down my planes and killing my guys!" No wonder all of the soldiers look so miserable.

MechPlasma
Jan 30, 2013
Either someone forgot a link, or I'm just completely blind:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563513
The Bureau thread.

Chomp8645 posted:

I always got a bit of a "staring into the abyss" feel from Dr. Va[h]len so I'm thinking Enemy Within is when she finally goes nuts.
A german scientist turning evil? As cheesy as XCOM's story is, I think that's one cliché too much for them.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

MechPlasma posted:

Either someone forgot a link, or I'm just completely blind:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563513
The Bureau thread.

A german scientist turning evil? As cheesy as XCOM's story is, I think that's one cliché too much for them.

Neither, I am on my tablet and copy/pasting crap is a pain. I was gonna add it when I got home. Now I don't need to worry about it though, so thanks!

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

I actually like Dr. Vahlen and Dr. Shen. Hopefully they don't go with the whole 'going evil' part.

They seem like sensible people and every time an alien kills out one of my troops, I try my best to capture it alive for Dr. Vahlen's ~=* Science *=~.

Whats the benefit for capturing aliens you already have captured; anyways. Just more equipment?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

TalonDemonKing posted:

Whats the benefit for capturing aliens you already have captured; anyways. Just more equipment?

You say like getting plasma rifles and poo poo without having to pay money/materials for them isn't amazing.

But yeah, that's the only benefit.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
Sometimes you get requests from countries for like 5 plasma rifles for over 3,000 space bucks so it's nice to have a stockpile of them laying around. Too bad by the time I've stunned that many aliens I don't really need the money anymore.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

So I sent out an interceptor and a skyranger at the same time. The skyranger landed first, and when I finish the mission the game returns to the holo-globe in mission control. The UI appears briefly as the game tries to switch to the interceptor, but then it just hangs on the globe. The game's running, there's just no UI and it's stuck.

Is there a solution? It would suck to have my first Ironman Classic ruined by such a lovely bug. I'm so close, too! The gollop chamber's only a few days away :(

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fart Car '97 posted:

So I sent out an interceptor and a skyranger at the same time.

I don't understand how this happened. Did you send the Sky Ranger to deal with an abduction mission or something and then a UFO popped up? I don't think I've encountered a scenario where I even had the option to put a Sky Ranger and an Interceptor in the air at the same time.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I think it was an issue in earlier versions, but have since been patched out.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Welmu posted:

If you still need it, go hog wild.

Cheers mate, much appreciated.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

I don't understand how this happened. Did you send the Sky Ranger to deal with an abduction mission or something and then a UFO popped up? I don't think I've encountered a scenario where I even had the option to put a Sky Ranger and an Interceptor in the air at the same time.

A UFO alert came up as my skyranger was en-route to a mission. I dispatched a firestorm, but the skyranger still reached the mission first.

Slashrat posted:

I think it was an issue in earlier versions, but have since been patched out.

I live in a developing country with limited internet and have no way to update it. gently caress :(

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Let's talk research.

What should I be working towards, and how? After messing up my first game early on, I started over and quickly got Skeleton Armor and the ability to use Light Plasma Weapons .I've also got the Foundry and Containment Pod but haven't done any autopsies yet. I haven't progressed very far in the game so I'm unsure what to really go for early on. Shiv's sound fun, but I figure that's more late game.

Any suggestions?

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.
So my Steam is telling me that XCOM has 30 new achievements on the way. Anyone else see this?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Yureina posted:

So my Steam is telling me that XCOM has 30 new achievements on the way. Anyone else see this?

I see 'em, but they ain't named.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
Terror mission. First appearance of the cyberdisk this playthrough, and my dudes are in an okay position, except for the four chrysalids bearing down on them. While I think about how i'm going to handle this (probably by hoping the bugs eat the civvies) I notice the cyberdisk, its drones, are within rocket range of a wounded bug. The heavy in question has danger zone. The rocket misfires, blows up four cars, kills one dude, drops three other guys to low health. My sniper panics and 360 noscopes the last healthy trooper. She crits. He drops. You had a good run, Earth.

:xcom:

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Yureina posted:

The fact that it is THIRTY achievements pretty much confirms it for me that the upcoming Enemy Within is a proper expansion, not a sequel or anything.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yureina posted:

You had me all excited to get in there and start a massive wave of speculation, then I saw:

ACHIEVEMENT_55
ACHIEVEMENT_55

God dammit, Firaxis.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Perhaps the enemy within is our own number system :tinfoil:

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Jetamo posted:

The fact that it is THIRTY achievements pretty much confirms it for me that the upcoming Enemy Within is a proper expansion, not a sequel or anything.
This is pretty exciting. I'm guessing that Jake Solomon decided to link these new achievements in the expansion with the various unfixed and lingering gameplay bugs still remaining in XCOM. Then the bugs to fix will be prioritized based on which achievements were ran into the most by the community of players.

It's a pretty cool idea by Firaxis: if your Ironman game gets hosed due to a bug, at least you'll get an achievement for your efforts.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 6, 2013

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I finished this game on normal, then iron man classic and done a bunch more iron man classic games stopping short of the end. I've seen that impossible is not fun with iron man, but is it fun at all without ironman, or is it just bullshit? Or should I try implassic?
Are there any good mods, apart from implassic?

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

redreader posted:

I finished this game on normal, then iron man classic and done a bunch more iron man classic games stopping short of the end. I've seen that impossible is not fun with iron man, but is it fun at all without ironman, or is it just bullshit? Or should I try implassic?
Are there any good mods, apart from implassic?
Yes, you should definitely try Implassic (though I'm biased), as it's basically Classic with the same enemy counts on Impossible. Also you can try The Long War, which was mentioned a few posts above. There is also the Toolbok mod that will let you tweak a lot of settings in the game.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
So, has anyone else had an alien shoot at them during their activation move yet? I can't really be the first one, can I? Because it apparently is a thing that can happen. I mean, unless exactly one muton in one of the supply saucer packs (but not the others in that pack) starts off activated. Combined with robbing my ITZ sniper of his third reaction shot due to teleports (the firing muton in question), that was a pretty bullshit alien turn.

I think I've hit every major bug in this playthrough. 100% shots missing, reaction fire triggering but not actually firing, packs being activated with the cutscene half the map away in unrevealed territory, so many teleports of activated aliens, two main-action turns on my ITZ sniper (reloaded then overwatch), and now an alien using its free move to shoot one of my soldiers in the back.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

nnnotime posted:

Yes, you should definitely try Implassic (though I'm biased)
It's hard to call you biased when the mod legitimately rules so much. I like Impossible, but I find myself having the most fun on Implassic.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Coolguye posted:

You had me all excited to get in there and start a massive wave of speculation, then I saw:

ACHIEVEMENT_55
ACHIEVEMENT_55

God dammit, Firaxis.

That's the same as what I see, but I don't care. The fact is there are 30 new achievements coming at some point, which pretty much confirms that this Enemy Within thing is going to be a nice and big addition to the game. That's all I care about for now. :)

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Yureina posted:

That's the same as what I see, but I don't care. The fact is there are 30 new achievements coming at some point, which pretty much confirms that this Enemy Within thing is going to be a nice and big addition to the game. That's all I care about for now. :)
What is your take on the lingering bugs? Just curious.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Coolguye posted:

It's hard to call you biased when the mod legitimately rules so much. I like Impossible, but I find myself having the most fun on Implassic.
Coolguye, thanks to your complement, and since Implassic seems to be accepted by the community, I will perform an update to the mod within the next week.

The update is minor, just applying some small changes that Firaxis slipped in to the DefaultGameCore.ini file in their last patch from earlier this year.

But as a bonus, I will also provide DefaultGameCore.ini files that will be compatible with the most popular mods on Nexus, such as The Long War, The Merciless Experience, and Warspace.

However, I will not guarantee I can support those listed mods going forward. The idea is to show that players can adjust those mods to their own difficulty level within the constraints that the mod offers.

Also, to anyone following Implassic: I will not be supporting the EW expansion out of the box since I'm disappointed about the lack of bug fixes. Eventually I will support EW, but not until the price drops significantly, or I see effort from Firaxis to address the lingering bugs.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I chose the 'hacked' version of the patch and started off with a 6-person squad... Is that expected?

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.

TheBlandName posted:

So, has anyone else had an alien shoot at them during their activation move yet? I can't really be the first one, can I? Because it apparently is a thing that can happen. I mean, unless exactly one muton in one of the supply saucer packs (but not the others in that pack) starts off activated. Combined with robbing my ITZ sniper of his third reaction shot due to teleports (the firing muton in question), that was a pretty bullshit alien turn.

I think I've hit every major bug in this playthrough. 100% shots missing, reaction fire triggering but not actually firing, packs being activated with the cutscene half the map away in unrevealed territory, so many teleports of activated aliens, two main-action turns on my ITZ sniper (reloaded then overwatch), and now an alien using its free move to shoot one of my soldiers in the back.

I was playing marathon iron man classic today just to see what it was like. I've played almost 100 hours and aliens shooting on their activation just happened to me for the first time. It was that abduction map with the city street and the two bus stops in the center and mostly crap cover. They were sectoids.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

nnnotime posted:

What is your take on the lingering bugs? Just curious.

My playing of XCOM has been fairly good for the most part. I did have one glitch in my recent game however where it didn't like me using disabling shot on a Berserker. Yes I know that sounds retarded since Berserkers don't have weapons, but I was doing it because it's low damage output (2) was what I needed to drop it's health down so I could attempt a capture with greater success. The game wouldn't move on and I had to force close it with the task manager. I ended up using one of my other soldiers with the basic pistol to knock down that Berserker's health for my capture attempt (which succeeded).

I do have the occasional little glitch like what I described, but for the most part XCOM is fairly nice to me. Nicer than a hell of alot of other games I could name.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

redreader posted:

I chose the 'hacked' version of the patch and started off with a 6-person squad... Is that expected?
Yes, that's the way I designed the 'hacked' patch with my personal preferences, as I liked starting the game without the squad limitation. However, you can use the default install to start out with a 4-person squad.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Because the expansion appears to not be a separate Steam app(like Deus Ex HR: Missing Link for example), it looks like they're going to have to update the main game in order to support it. Why is it assumed when the expansion hits that they won't patch the vanilla game as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Jetamo posted:

Because the expansion appears to not be a separate Steam app(like Deus Ex HR: Missing Link for example), it looks like they're going to have to update the main game in order to support it. Why is it assumed when the expansion hits that they won't patch the vanilla game as well?

They may, but they already attempted fixes at most of the problems people have reported, with no positive results for most people. In fact, some folks complained that the last attempt to fix the teleport bug actually made the problem worse.

So sure, they could go ahead and put in bug fixes with Enemy Within. But we do not have a hell of a lot to inspire faith in that effort.

• Locked thread