Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rhyno posted:

Site to store rules

I have to wait so long before TRU AU sells that :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You Am I posted:

I have to wait so long before TRU AU sells that :(

I'm afraid to open it to be honest. Some dude offered me $50 on top of the cost in the parking lot. I thought he was gonna jump me when I said no.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Rhyno posted:

I'm afraid to open it to be honest. Some dude offered me $50 on top of the cost in the parking lot. I thought he was gonna jump me when I said no.

I predict TRU Soundwave is not going to end up as a super-valuable item. They are making tens of thousands of this thing to meet demand. Already some east coast scalpers who bought a few dozen of them each are having trouble unloading them on eBay and Craig's List. Open that fucker up.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Keldroc posted:

I predict TRU Soundwave is not going to end up as a super-valuable item. They are making tens of thousands of this thing to meet demand. Already some east coast scalpers who bought a few dozen of them each are having trouble unloading them on eBay and Craig's List. Open that fucker up.

Yeah at the TRU Sunday morning a guy showed up at like 9 AM (an hour before opening, but well after I'd arrived) to scope out the Marvel Legends. He mentioned that he'd heard about would-be scalpers being massively undercut by Hasbro's production and distribution speed. Soundwave may not be easy to get, but it's not gonna be Grimlock or MP-10.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Does anybody happen to have a Masterpiece Thundercracker for sale? It's the one seeker I missed and the eBay price is already creeping past $100. How much was it at retail?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Does anybody happen to have a Masterpiece Thundercracker for sale? It's the one seeker I missed and the eBay price is already creeping past $100. How much was it at retail?

Around $80.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DoctorWhat posted:

Yeah at the TRU Sunday morning a guy showed up at like 9 AM (an hour before opening, but well after I'd arrived) to scope out the Marvel Legends. He mentioned that he'd heard about would-be scalpers being massively undercut by Hasbro's production and distribution speed. Soundwave may not be easy to get, but it's not gonna be Grimlock or MP-10.

Oh gently caress, I have a Masterpiece Grimlock, and the undamaged box still. I didn't realize they were going for $300+.

Maybe I'll sell that sucker. It's a good figure but 300 dollars is awfully tempting.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

strangehamster posted:

Look at all this glorious crap!

Can you fetch a Fire Beast Predaking for me?

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Ka0 posted:

That $60 monster? Yeah I will get one tomorrow. :3

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Ka0 posted:

So utterly not worth the price, especially considering the extra costs of shipping it to where you are. Huge disappointment.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Speaking of Fire Transformers: http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TAK11741&mode=retail

Price seems pretty steep though.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

I paid $90 for Super Fire Convoy back in 1999, which is about $123 today, so yeah, a bit high. Still, it's such a good figure I might say it's worth even that price. Some of the white parts of mine have yellowed considerably, so I'm considering that reissue.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Keldroc posted:

So utterly not worth the price, especially considering the extra costs of shipping it to where you are. Huge disappointment.

I have seen the voyager here. It... failed to impress. I wonder what did you find lacking on big Predaking.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

He's rather simpler in transformation than the Voyager, and has a weird dragon neck due to some annoying light up poo poo in the chest. It's still a nice toy, and the colors look much better, but it's overpriced. $40-$45 would be better, as a top price.

...i still love mine though

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DrChud posted:

Now I just have to talk myself into buying Acid Storm, my next gen game system money is taking a hit, is he worth it?

Here's a tip. Don't buy a next gen console until at least 6 months after it's out. You won't have to deal with all the early adopter niggles that arise unforeseen, and it'll be a lot cheaper.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

strangehamster posted:

My Target got reset and there is crap on shelves again!

What on earth are those "Construct Bots"? Are they like the Kreo Lego stuff?

Also, all you guys running around for MP Soundwave. I got one when he first came out in Japan :smug:

Serious content: if I have MP-04, should I get MP-10? Or if I don't want a second OP, should I get the repaint of -10 as Nemesis Prime?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Ka0 posted:

I have seen the voyager here. It... failed to impress. I wonder what did you find lacking on big Predaking.

He's reminiscent of a smaller or simpler toy blown up to an oversized scale. Honestly the Voyager is a more interesting figure overall, and I don't like the Voyager much at all.

1. Ultra simple transformation, almost literally "stand up, it's a robot now" if it weren't for a quick flip and twist on the legs.
2. Poses are very limited in dragon mode due to the complete lack of neck and mouth articulation due to the light-up gimmick and his somewhat weak front legs that have trouble holding up his weight. Poses are very limited in robot mode due to the weight of the wings and a lot of his spiky bits getting in the way of his range of motion.
3. Very sketchy paint jobs on the wings in many cases. The spikes on his arms can very easily scrape against the wings in robot mode and scratch paint off them, too.
4. He's shockingly small for a $60 toy. The wingspan is impressive, but he's markedly shorter than the average Leader class figure.

I decided some time ago to collect all the characters featured on the show, but I really kind of wish I'd passed on Predaking. Not the best use of $60 in my TF collecting career.

Uber Kosh posted:

Also, all you guys running around for MP Soundwave. I got one when he first came out in Japan :smug:

So did I, but the people running around for MP Soundwave now are getting him and all four extra tapes for less than we paid for Soundwave & Laserbeak on their own, so I don't really feel all that :smug: about it, no matter how much I prefer the red visor over the yellow.

quote:

Serious content: if I have MP-04, should I get MP-10? Or if I don't want a second OP, should I get the repaint of -10 as Nemesis Prime?

Yes. It's a better figure. Doesn't matter which version you get, Optimus or Nemesis, but everyone should have that mold in their collection. Alternately, it looks like the upcoming Year of the Horse Platinum Optimus Prime is going to be the MP-10 mold, which will undoubtedly have some gonzo paint job going on, so you may want to wait to see what that looks like.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
How tall is Soundwave versus MP-01? I have my Optimus at work, and once I get Soundwave I may do a decorating swap out. :)

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

MP-01 is taller than MP Soundwave. But MP-10 is pretty even with him.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I'd be tempting to just straight-up swap mine for an Acid Storm, depending on the cost of shipping.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Beastfire Predaking would cost nearly 120 dollars if it were sold here, so having someone buy it on the US and ship it to thirdworldland is actually cheaper, as it is with TFs most of the time. This is true even if customs decides to have some fun with you.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Here's a tip. Don't buy a next gen console until at least 6 months after it's out. You won't have to deal with all the early adopter niggles that arise unforeseen, and it'll be a lot cheaper.

I wasn't planning to get it right at launch but I won't wait 6 months to get it, but using your reasoning I will be looking for Acid Storm tomorrow in my travels. If I find something I'm interested in I should just get it, I got bit in rear end with MP Grimlock. Had it in my hands and was ehh ill get it later, maybe on clearance too. That worked out sooo well.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So Nick Roche has revealed on twitter, he did concept artwork for voyager Sandstorm back in 2010 for Hasbro, and they engineered from there. So Sandstorm is the original, and they refitted Springer from that...

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
That probably explains why Sandstorm looks better.

I'm not alone in thinking that, right? I mean I don't really have any connection to Sandstorm the character, but the figure looks better to my eyes than Springer. And one day I will buy them both. :I

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Uber Kosh posted:

What on earth are those "Construct Bots"? Are they like the Kreo Lego stuff?

'Sup fellow Tokyo-purchased Soundwave Goon. Boy that came out awkward.

Yes get MP 10. He really is better, which is saying a lot imo.

Eirgen
Jan 29, 2010

I think.. I need to stop buying so many transformers.. and I just started this year. (Unfortunately, just a portion of what I have.. and need to place that elsewhere since it is blocking my projector)

edit: that's both takara and hasbro soundwave there.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

That probably explains why Sandstorm looks better.

I'm not alone in thinking that, right? I mean I don't really have any connection to Sandstorm the character, but the figure looks better to my eyes than Springer. And one day I will buy them both. :I

Sandstorm holds together better, but Springer's car mode is a slicker beast. Frankly I am surprised because I thought Sandstorm's improvements were indicative of a refinement of the mold.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Today's gets:

IDW Bumblebee - sucks. Don't buy this thing.
IDW Megatron - Okay, not completely poo poo. Should have been a voyager.
Orion Pax - Nice little truck. Good bot mode. Not just another Optimus.
Trailcutter - Good figure. I like both modes. Could have been bigger, would have made a good casemate with Megatron.
BH Fishy Megatron - Brings me back to beast wars. It's great. Good colors, decent remold.
Beast FIre Predaking. Simple transformation, but huge wingspan. Looks good with the other dragons.

Tomorrow Metroplex should arrive from BBTS.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

By the way, be very careful with Soundwave's megatron gun accessory. The stock on mine snapped almost instantly and I'm very gentle with my figures, I think it's a known issue. Oh well, the main gun is still OK I guess, and it's just a minor accessory.

I wish they made a MP megatron 2.0 :(

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

In the last week I received Hexatron, Blitzwing, Sandstorm, Metroplex, Quakewave, the last two Uranos bots and FP Downshift.

I don't even know where the gently caress to begin. It's the most wondrous overload.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Keldroc posted:

Sandstorm holds together better, but Springer's car mode is a slicker beast. Frankly I am surprised because I thought Sandstorm's improvements were indicative of a refinement of the mold.

Is there any reason to think that they didn't split the difference?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Eirgen posted:

I think.. I need to stop buying so many transformers.. and I just started this year. (Unfortunately, just a portion of what I have.. and need to place that elsewhere since it is blocking my projector)

edit: that's both takara and hasbro soundwave there.
I can't stop imagining a crazy episode where a time-lost Soundwave ends up traveling to another universe and pairing up with himself and the local Decepticons in their own fight against the Autobots, who have recently converted Reflector and now possess a Megatron clone.

I bet a panorama would be neat.

e:
Oh maybe Reflector was an Autobot sleeper agent the entire time! :aaaaa:

TheDK fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 7, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I was rather disappointed to learn that Platinum Magnus is part of Prime and not Generations. This means we're still missing a big rear end Ultra Magnus from the Generations line-up. The Classics Voyager and the Generations Deluxe don't really seem to cut it, mostly because UM was one of the big G1 toys. I just hope Generations gets an Ultra or Leader class added to it, because while the voaygers have been great there are some deluxe guys that should have been larger toys(i.e. Universe 2.0 Galvatron).

Atleast we're well on our way to getting Classics versions of all the Minibots ever.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

WendigoJohnson posted:

I was rather disappointed to learn that Platinum Magnus is part of Prime and not Generations. This means we're still missing a big rear end Ultra Magnus from the Generations line-up. The Classics Voyager and the Generations Deluxe don't really seem to cut it, mostly because UM was one of the big G1 toys.

That's what City Commander is for. I'm fine with that on my shelf filling the Magnus role rather than having to see how Hasbro would screw it up.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I will never accept city commander as my classics Ultra Magnus. I think it's a sub-par sculpt.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Ka0 posted:

I will never accept city commander as my classics Ultra Magnus. I think it's a sub-par sculpt.

I could get over my other issues with it if the face sculpt wasn't so bad (see also: Warbot Defender).

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Ka0 posted:

And the Hasbro version wouldn't be? The only real advantage City Commander may have over an official Hasbro version at this point is that it exists, but I certainly wouldn't expect any better out of Hasbro themselves.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
So,probably not high on anyone's want lists but I got the Construct Bots Soundwave and Wheeljack today. What follows is a very brief review.

Individually they piece together well and feel sturdy. The do indeed transform and the transformations while simple are pretty decent. They clip together, parts fit against each other snugly and the end result is a pretty neat looking vehicle. Construction of the sets isn't very complicated each only took me 10 to 15 minutes. Though they both have a number of uniquely sculpted parts they go together pretty much the same. The conversions are also very similar but the resulting vehicles have a very different appearance. The robot forms are pretty competent but both have rather large wheels/wings coming off their arms. I wonder if that couldn't be improved with my own tinkering with the pieces.

There are no Lego/K'nex/etc compatible parts here. It all appears to be it's own system so if you'd like to make your own custom transformers with the sets you'll want a couple. For the money ($15 I believe it was) they're pretty decent Transformer building toys. Oh, they each come with a little plastic case which you can keep each sets parts and instructions in. I thought that was a nice touch.

Final Review Score: Pretty ok. I liked them. I can definitely see myself making a custom guy that looks pretty decent from the parts. Not gonna be something to rush out to your local target for though. To the surprise of nobody I think.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
I'm fine with City Commander but I wish his gigantic gun did something aside from take up space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Keldroc posted:

And the Hasbro version wouldn't be? The only real advantage City Commander may have over an official Hasbro version at this point is that it exists, but I certainly wouldn't expect any better out of Hasbro themselves.

I will never undertand that opinion. Look at Springer, everyone said Hasbro would never top that poo poo 3rd party mold.