Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Orv posted:

Personal, I forgot cultural ones were a thing.
I guess countries could potentially start out as a personal union if one character owns two kingdoms with different (or maybe just significantly different) inheritance laws. But I suspect it's more likely just that the converter won't result in any nations that begin in personal unions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Ofaloaf posted:

I'd love to see someone mod a Germans-win-WWII mod where the first thing that happens is that all the Reichskommissariats become petty warlordships that barely acknowledge Berlin and anti-German partisans keep popping up goddamned everywhere, rather than just having a Big Grey Blob and leaving it to the US and maybe Britain to fight in some rather bland WWIII scenario.

Interesting enough premise for me to consider doing a scenario for Darkest Hour.

But that leaves me with a few questions:
1) When did Germany win? 43/44/45? This affects post war Europe a lot.
2) What happened to Japan? Do win and they retain Indonesia but have to give back British possessions and the Philippines, or are they just crushed under the USA's military might?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Luigi Thirty posted:

I got a vassalize mission on the Free City of Bremen but the Vassalization CB seems to have disappeared. How do I get it back? :confused:

You can't. If I remember correctly, the CB you get from a vassalization mission lasts for 20 years and then expires if you haven't completed the mission by then. You'll have to either diplovassalize them or go to war some other way and eat the infamy penalty for vassalizing them if you want to complete the mission, or just abandon the mission.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004
So Kersch's Vicky II Lets Play has encouraged me to give the game a shot again, but I'm curious about the dlc and the mods. Heart of Darkness seems pretty great but how much does A House Divided actually affect the game? And do you still need the ridiculous economy mods to keep the world running?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I really wonder what EU4's DLC will look like. CK2's was fairly obvious, with the major DLCs opening up new playable characters. The big three all gave totally new experiences. EU4 doesn't really have that possibility, as everything is playable from the start. Most of the changes one would like to see, like maybe expanded tribal nation gameplay would be patch content in CK2. Most EU3 expansion content is the equivalent to patch content in CK2 I'd say. Makes me wonder if they'll go back to the EU3 style where most of the major expansions focus on overhauling systems, and you can't access those overhauled systems without the expansion.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

YodaTFK posted:

So Kersch's Vicky II Lets Play has encouraged me to give the game a shot again, but I'm curious about the dlc and the mods. Heart of Darkness seems pretty great but how much does A House Divided actually affect the game? And do you still need the ridiculous economy mods to keep the world running?

HoD is great and you need AHD to use HoD. Not sure which "ridiculous economy mod" you mean, Pop demand? It pretty much breaks the game, you get stuff like infantry hiding behind artillery, terrible slowdowns, an idiotic terrain system that prevents you from building railroads in many places etc. The New Nations mod adds events and countries contained in pop demand without all the other ridiculous poo poo but you might as well just play without mods, the game by itself is good.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
In HoD/vicky2 is there a way to see when a truce will end? Doing my first game of it and I can't find it anywhere.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Raskolnikov38 posted:

In HoD/vicky2 is there a way to see when a truce will end? Doing my first game of it and I can't find it anywhere.

In Diplomacy, in the "show wars" tab while you've selected the nation you have a truce with. You'll see a segment on the right-hand side with something like:

At war with: (X), (Y)
Truce: (Z)

Hover over the flag of the country they have a peace with and you should be able to see when it expires.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Any news on the demo release date?
I want to preorder, but I'd like to have a look at it first.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Littlefinger posted:

Any news on the demo release date?
I want to preorder, but I'd like to have a look at it first.

A couple of days ago, Johan posted a quick update on the exact time that EU4 would be released next week and included a comment of something along the lines of "Demo hopefully this weekend if all goes well". Then, another Paradox employee was browsin' the forums and read that post, spit their coffee out all over the monitor and started hammering the 'edit' button and took that part out of Johan's post.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Kersch posted:

A couple of days ago, Johan posted a quick update on the exact time that EU4 would be released next week and included a comment of something along the lines of "Demo hopefully this weekend if all goes well". Then, another Paradox employee was browsin' the forums and read that post, spit their coffee out all over the monitor and started hammering the 'edit' button and took that part out of Johan's post.

Except it at some point got edited back to the same because I still see that line in the post... Well that or my browser is possessed.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Westminster System posted:

Except it at some point got edited back to the same because I still see that line in the post... Well that or my browser is possessed.

No, it was taken out, then re-added. Crazy stuff is happening over there.

L0VE
May 3, 2010
After reading the AAR on the Paradox forums showing off Byzantium I have to say it really crushed a lot of my anticipation of the game. I realize that it's a powergamer abusing the AI to the fullest, but it really felt like he was just cruising through things because he just couldn't lose even if he tried. It only took him a few years from what should be a doomed start to eclipse the Ottomans. But what really got to me was when I finally saw him facing some form of adversity, when he had to fight the coalition of Austria, Ottomans, Hungary, Nepal AND Venice. He admits this is too much even for him and he's going to have to sign an unfavorable peace deal as soon as possible but...

As it turns out that "unfavourable" deal means only reaching a 41% POSITIVE warscore and taking 2 counties and a bunch of cash. I suppose he did have Mamluks helping him out and this is an old beta version and he is exploiting the AI somewhat - but even so it feels to me like as a player you're gonna be required to hold back to give the AI a fair chance.

Kinda wish they would have showcased the game in a different light than just being "Go to war, if truce, wait for manpower then go to war".

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

L0VE posted:

After reading the AAR on the Paradox forums showing off Byzantium I have to say it really crushed a lot of my anticipation of the game. I realize that it's a powergamer abusing the AI to the fullest, but it really felt like he was just cruising through things because he just couldn't lose even if he tried. It only took him a few years from what should be a doomed start to eclipse the Ottomans. But what really got to me was when I finally saw him facing some form of adversity, when he had to fight the coalition of Austria, Ottomans, Hungary, Nepal AND Venice. He admits this is too much even for him and he's going to have to sign an unfavorable peace deal as soon as possible but...

As it turns out that "unfavourable" deal means only reaching a 41% POSITIVE warscore and taking 2 counties and a bunch of cash. I suppose he did have Mamluks helping him out and this is an old beta version and he is exploiting the AI somewhat - but even so it feels to me like as a player you're gonna be required to hold back to give the AI a fair chance.

Kinda wish they would have showcased the game in a different light than just being "Go to war, if truce, wait for manpower then go to war".

According to the forum guys, this is a god amongst men. Insanely talented and is known for WCs with OPMs. I would not worry too much, he's most likely had the Beta for a while too.

BillBear fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 7, 2013

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control
Yeah, that dude has done I think world conquests with the Incas in EU2 or EU3, same with the Iroquois and a few other absolutely useless OPMs. He is absolutely amazing at gaming the systems of these games. That guy is ten times as good as me, and I've logged hundreds of hours into each of EU2, HoI, CK1, Victoria, EU3, HoI2, Victoria 2, and CK2...

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

BillBear posted:

According to the forum guys, this is a god amongst men, insanely talented and is known for WCs with OPMs. I would not worry too much, he's most likely had the Beta for a while too.

WCs with OPMs are over-rated: It's easy to conquer the world once you reach something like France-level size.

But on the other hand Peter Ebbeson is notably very renowned for how he powergamed most of the Paradox games.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Which just raises the question of why they thought it appropriate to have the first beta aar done by a rampant powergamer instead of someone who actually plays like most people would. It's just not a great first impression.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

L0VE posted:

Petter Ebbeson is a ridiculously good player, you really shouldn't assume it's trivial for anyone to pull off the same feats.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Zeron posted:

Which just raises the question of why they thought it appropriate to have the first beta aar done by a rampant powergamer instead of someone who actually plays like most people would. It's just not a great first impression.

I think Quill's videos are a much better first impression, Peter is the kind of AAR you read after the game's out.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Zeron posted:

Stuff happens in it, he writes well, he had a bunch of posts ready, and it shows some of Purple Phoenix.

Some CK2 news:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?706296-Crusader-Kings-II-Patch-1.11-and-Customizer-Dev-Diary

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

Stuff happens in it, he writes well, he had a bunch of posts ready, and it shows some of Purple Phoenix.

Some CK2 news:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?706296-Crusader-Kings-II-Patch-1.11-and-Customizer-Dev-Diary

I love that DLC, I hated the fact you would sometimes be stuck with a lovely beard and a haircut no man would want.

Also renaming titles. :getin:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Wiz posted:

Petter Ebbeson is a ridiculously good player, you really shouldn't assume it's trivial for anyone to pull off the same feats.

It's just worrying to see basically the exact same AI exploits that were most easily abusable in EU3 turning up again, though I guess he was playing on an old build given that his first post was more than 2 weeks ago. I was really hoping for the AI OE to see that Byzantium was at war with Venice and immediately jump them because they're a huge long term threat.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

It's just worrying to see basically the exact same AI exploits that were most easily abusable in EU3 turning up again, though I guess he was playing on an old build given that his first post was more than 2 weeks ago. I was really hoping for the AI OE to see that Byzantium was at war with Venice and immediately jump them because they're a huge long term threat.

The most depressing thing is that the Bosporous is still blockable, when it hasn't really been blockable since the 14th century and cannons.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Riso posted:

Interesting enough premise for me to consider doing a scenario for Darkest Hour.

But that leaves me with a few questions:
1) When did Germany win? 43/44/45? This affects post war Europe a lot.
2) What happened to Japan? Do win and they retain Indonesia but have to give back British possessions and the Philippines, or are they just crushed under the USA's military might?
Germany wins in '43, so the Yalta conference hasn't happened yet. The Soviet Union was ultimately unable to muster enough resistance to deal with the rapid German advance and most of its territory now composes the patchwork of petty German despotates that stretches from France to the Urals, ruling as vicious caricatures of petty feudal lords (if that were even possible).

In east Asia, the Soviet Union was no longer a threat to Japan. However, with the Yalta conference never occurring, the Nuremberg trials never occurring, etc., world opinion towards colonialism and wars of aggressive conquest is different from what it was in the real timeline. As a result, the United States and Japan descend like vultures into perpetual hot-cold war over who will best exploit a weakened Asia as their own domestic economies, strained by years of war, falter, giving rise to angry populist movements at home, for better or worse.

As part of the peace deal signed between the UK and Germany, the UK gave up its overseas colonies, technically, to Germany (France lost them in 1940). In reality, the shattered, anarchic German government that arose in the wake of Hitler's death is de facto incapable of ruling its newfound colonial empire. Africa, the middle east and India are, at least nominally, free, although locked into bitter sectarian and ethnic strife as their power vacuums are filled by ruthless and ambitious people.

Unperturbed by a war that, in all actuality, probably turned out worse than the historical WW2, south america develops into an export powerhouse - or at least, Argentina and Brazil do. Both countries realize that the other is the only thing that stands in the way of their hegemony over the rest of the continent.

Or something?

Dibujante fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 7, 2013

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

RabidWeasel posted:

It would be trivial for me to make Byzantium impossible to play, I just don't think anyone would find it particularily fun. I also really would not judge the difficulty until you've played for yourself.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

BillBear posted:

I love that DLC, I hated the fact you would sometimes be stuck with a lovely beard and a haircut no man would want.

My characters always seem to have the sketchiest facial hair, so I'm all for this DLC.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

e: ^^^ :cool::hf::cool:^^^

BillBear posted:

I was going to pass on this, but then I remembered the number of times I've been stuck with kings with massive goony neckbeards, that dumb Fu Manchu 'stache, or most of the beards in the Med portrait pack, so that changed my mind pretty well. As a massive sperg about facial hair, I'll be glad to filter all that out.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

That tramp beard is the worst. Looks like a bit of wool glued to a man's neck, I like the idea of shaving my head bald and getting a good beard if my dude goes from craven to brave.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Zeron posted:

Personally, I prefer a powergamer showing off a beta than someone who doesn't really know how to play. Rather than making the obvious comparison to quill18 and his occasional facepalm, consider how Creative Assembly often showcases their games: by losing battles that any half-decent player should have won. Now, I can understand why they do that; they want to make it appear as if their AI will pose a challenge to the player. However it doesn't work that way. Instead, it just winds up looking like they don't know how to play their own game, especially since their defeat usually entails them making stupid, cringe-worthy decisions. Peter Ebbesen, on the other hand, knows how to play and is able to show it in writing, which, despite winding up exploiting the AI, manages to actually showcase the depth of the game and the level of thought that can be put into it. IMO this makes his AAR (in some ways) a better showcase for the game than the quill18 LPs because we can get some real sense of how the mechanics actually work, then just being shown that they're there.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Darkrenown posted:

Some CK2 news:
Nice patch features, anything that saves mindless clicks is good. And I can see the customiser being a DLC that I'll grab at full price.

Between this patch (which will most likely break major mods for weeks or months) and the potential of EU4 conversion I guess I'll have to play vanilla or with only minor mods for a while. Yes I know about the "beta" option but I doubt I'll be able to go back to bribing individual courtiers :byodood:

Wiz posted:

It would be trivial for me to make Byzantium impossible to play, I just don't think anyone would find it particularily fun. I also really would not judge the difficulty until you've played for yourself.
I agree on the latter point.

About the former, I can agree with it if you coded the Ottomans/Venice to specifically leave Byzantium a minimum of breathing room for the sake of playability; if it's a general restriction on the AI's willingness to pounce on weakened rivals, though, I'm not so sure. I think that if the player lets his country fall into a 14th century Byzantium-like position he should expect to become a juicy target (and to have to find a liege/ally to protect him, or hope for espionage successes, etc.), not to have the AI suddenly start wearing gloves.

Obviously I'm talking exclusively about Hard difficulty AI here.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Have they said anything about the DLC model for EU4? The 'unlock unplayable factions' thing from CK2 obviously won't work, and I suspect that other DLCs won't be as successful so I'm curious what they are planning after the preorder DLCs.

BillBear posted:

I really hope that it's cheaper than Ruler Designer. That was 5$ and this looks much sparser than that. (the same coat of arms and character editing as before, except now you can do it in-game :eyepop: )

I guess I'll just wait for a sale otherwise.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 7, 2013

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I'm betting the DLC model will be one of two ways- LoR, buy to unlock features, or they lock nations unless you have the DLC.

Don't know which would be better- full features but limits imposed later, or an incomplete game.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

L0VE posted:

You are missing the bigger picture here. In EU3, Ottoman AI wouldn't have enforced peace when they saw Byzantium getting aggressive on some minors. In EU3 carpeting provinces was the correct way to go and he wouldn't depend on the Mamluks to save his rear end in that first war. In EU3, he wouldn't have fought everyone and their dog in the general area and face armies triple of his. He would've have won in EU3 too but it would have been a cakewalk with no resistance at all.

That said, I agree blockading the Bosphorus is some obvious ahistorical bullshit. Ottomans had this and eventually this to counter exactly that.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Does anyone know if we'll be able to still build buildings from the ledger in EU4? I don't wanna scroll over to America every time I wanna build stuff in the colonies. :(

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

Between this patch (which will most likely break major mods for weeks or months) and the potential of EU4 conversion I guess I'll have to play vanilla or with only minor mods for a while. Yes I know about the "beta" option but I doubt I'll be able to go back to bribing individual courtiers :byodood:

I started up a vanilla game for the first time in months, in preparation for the EU4 converter, and it's behaving a lot better these days.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Wiz posted:

I was going to reply to this but NihilCredo said it better than I could. There should be a point at which you will lose to the AI no matter how good you are because it has an insurmountable numerical advantage, the question is how much of an advantage is that going to be and how aggressively is the AI going to press its advantage. I can understand entirely why the game isn't set up with AI that plays like humans in MP but I would personally find it very fun to have that as an option (maybe hard AI is like this, I would love it if it was) and would happily accept the fact that if I try and play as a minor that neighbours a major power with a CB on me that I'm going to get annexed immediately.

GrossMurpel posted:

Does anyone know if we'll be able to still build buildings from the ledger in EU4? I don't wanna scroll over to America every time I wanna build stuff in the colonies. :(

Better than that, there's a whole awesome new part of the UI for buildings. It shows stuff like where each building still needs to be built and shows the total modified benefit you get from it (i.e. after reductions from wrong culture or bonuses from NIs etc)

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 7, 2013

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

Better than that, there's a whole awesome new part of the UI for buildings. It shows stuff like where each building still needs to be built and shows the total modified benefit you get from it (i.e. after reductions from wrong culture or bonuses from NIs etc)

Yeah they mentioned that in the DD but it still sounded like you need to click on the little "+" icon on the province.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

RabidWeasel posted:

There should be a point at which you will lose to the AI no matter how good you are because it has an insurmountable numerical advantage, the question is how much of an advantage is that going to be and how aggressively is the AI going to press its advantage.

Yes, that is definitely what a game you play for fun and entertainment needs, a 'gently caress you' option.

Sulla
May 10, 2008

fspades posted:

You are missing the bigger picture here. In EU3, Ottoman AI wouldn't have enforced peace when they saw Byzantium getting aggressive on some minors. In EU3 carpeting provinces was the correct way to go and he wouldn't depend on the Mamluks to save his rear end in that first war. In EU3, he wouldn't have fought everyone and their dog in the general area and face armies triple of his. He would've have won in EU3 too but it would have been a cakewalk with no resistance at all.

That said, I agree blockading the Bosphorus is some obvious ahistorical bullshit. Ottomans had this and eventually this to counter exactly that.

Yeah they could just include a "fortify strait" decision to anyone who controls the eastern shore, blocking access to enemy ships (or allowing access but preventing a parked fleet from blocking troop movements). That would probably make it a lot more challenging and prevent a OPM with a decent navy from cutting an empire as big as the OE in two.

Sulla fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

e X posted:

Yes, that is definitely what a game you play for fun and entertainment needs, a 'gently caress you' option.
Uh, I don't see how the player not being able to defeat an empire 10 times as powerful as his is a "'gently caress you' option". That's just game balance/A.I and something that's present in many games!

I personally think that a Byzantium start should be more or less impossible unless the Ottomans are hosed up hard by an external factor, but that's just me and it obviously wouldn't go over well with the Paradox Forums.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 7, 2013

• Locked thread