Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I love me a Plow Under but there's far too many actual game ending things to be doing around the mid-game during the 5-mana spot, it's just not good enough in the metagame when most decks are perfectly fine with 3-4 land.

I think a lot of those players generally default to blue decks anyway, but I'm probably wrong. The G/B Rock deck is an interesting choice, is there a decktech or interview with one of them? I'd like to know what the deal is with the singleton Deathmark and why they'd rather not splash red for Bolt. Tectonic Edge I guess? I'd also like to know why Ooze is a 4-of in a format where not a lot of decks end up with many creatures in the yard.

It foils Snapcaster, makes Goyf sad, and is quality grave hate against the grave decks. Seems good enough to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The most hilarious part is Reid's bogle aura deck making it to top 4 due to the lack of combo. I am rooting for it to win, just to drive people nuts.

Reid had said that the best of five format would drive away the combo decks, due to more games being played post board. Guess he was right.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 3, 2013

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

It foils Snapcaster, makes Goyf sad, and is quality grave hate against the grave decks. Seems good enough to me.

Yeah but they also play 4 of their own goyfs and 4 Deathrite, so Ooze is more like EXTRA graveyard hate.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Just finished putting together that rock deck on MTGO to play with. I am rusty as poo poo and still getting used to the beta client though. I took out the maindeck deathmark and just stuck in a second abrupt decay. Any suggestions for modifying the sideboard to be more MTGO friendly? I assume it was specifically constructed to be relevant to the decks they expected to see there.

At any rate, add me on MTGO and kick me around a little. I could stand to have more goons on my list. The practice rooms can sometimes feel a little sterile.

MTGO: Esgaro

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Yeah but they also play 4 of their own goyfs and 4 Deathrite, so Ooze is more like EXTRA graveyard hate.

Ooze has 2 power, and when it removes something it grows and gains life, isn't limited to one card a turn like Deathrite is, and, though this probably doesn't count for much, it can hit any card type, not just creatures.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Keep in mind that the World Championship has 16 players who are for the most part familiar with each other. This leads to some different metagame choices, I highly doubt that Reid Duke will play Bogle in the next Modern GP he attends.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I like the Deathmark in that G/B deck, the only thing on that list it's dead against is the bogle deck. I guess in a meta that has a higher chance of seeing U Tron or Twin I would rather play another Dismember or Abrupt Decay maindeck.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 3, 2013

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
What are opinions on the 4C Gifts deck that Dmitri Butakov is running? It seems pretty awesome.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Sampatrick posted:

What are opinions on the 4C Gifts deck that Dmitri Butakov is running? It seems pretty awesome.

4 color gifts is awesome and is what I would choose if there were a PTQ/GP next week.

Not sure why he chose Thragtusk over Obstinate Baloth, though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AlphaKeny1 posted:

4 color gifts is awesome and is what I would choose if there were a PTQ/GP next week.

Not sure why he chose Thragtusk over Obstinate Baloth, though.

More easily castable for a 4 colour deck like that, plus being valuetusk and all.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Been playing that g/b list in the tournament practice room a good chunk of the day. It isn't exactly a super-competitive environment, but I am rusty and need practice. I realize the real sharks are playing games where money is on the line. Didn't actually see a lot of combo. Just a couple pod. One pod player just quit the match completely after a blowout in the first game with turn 1 fetch, shaman, turn 2 liliana. Only other combo was a bloodcrank deck, which could't stand up to the planeswalkers (guy was a good sport though). Lost a couple times to fish, with one of them being due to misplays on my own part.

Saw some green tron, and won those about 50% of the time. One thing I like about the g/b list are the four maindeck tectonic edges. They've helped a lot against tron and other land shenanigans when I actually managed to draw them. The four treetop villages also did a lot of work. A lot of times it would end up with my removal and liliana keeping their poo poo off the table, while treetop villages did the bashing.

Generally have had bad luck actually sticking bob on the table. He is always eating a bolt, or a path, or some other nonsense. When he does stick, things tend to go well. Ooze was good in a couple games, but honestly he didn't stick much either. They ended up getting knocked out of my hand a lot. Deathright shaman always did a lot of work. I have to give that little one mana planeswalker props. An on the play deathright into turn two liliana ended up sealing a lot of games.

The deathmark isn't maindeck material in the practice room. Too much rdw, fish, and other stuff running around. Might be a different story in dailies and two mans.

To be honest from my games today dismember felt like it should have been a couple more abrupt decays instead. I didn't really face a lot that I needed a dismember to hit. It is again possible that is due to the matchups I had though. Against anything g/w, I sided them out for death marks.

I totally love the new Goyf art (and normal card border) too. Thankfully I bought my Liliana's last year, when they were $20, and my Goyfs yesterday, when they were awesome.

Edit: I just got schooled by the bogle deck. Never drew a liliana, sadly. I might put a couple geth's verdicts in the sideboard. My guess is that it might be getting more popular.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 4, 2013

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Filthy Monkey posted:

Generally have had bad luck actually sticking bob on the table. He is always eating a bolt, or a path, or some other nonsense. When he does stick, things tend to go well. Ooze was good in a couple games, but honestly he didn't stick much either. They ended up getting knocked out of my hand a lot. Deathright shaman always did a lot of work. I have to give that little one mana planeswalker props. An on the play deathright into turn two liliana ended up sealing a lot of games.

Bob isn't so much about "bad luck" since people have generally gotten smarter and understand that they need to bolt it immediately. If you're on curve with a turn 1 Deathrite, you can lead turn 2 with an Inquisition to see if the coast is clear and land a Bob. You should generally do this either way since rock is about disruption and then shoring up the mid-game with value like Bob or quick beats like goyf/ooze. Try sandbagging the Bob instead of running it out there blind, unless you've got a good followup like a fatty goyf.

I kind of wonder if Crucible of Worlds is better than an extra Abrupt Decay over the Deathmark, since its such random value with fetches, Tectonic Edge, and Liliana.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The deck runs nine fetches and six fetchable lands. I feel like with that ratio, crucible isn't great. Doubly so when you are using binned fetches to accelerate via deathrite shaman. You are right that it isn't bad with Liliana though.

With the banning of bloodbraid and the addition of deathrite, ooze, and abrupt decay to the card pool, dropping red feels a lot easier than it did last year. Losing bolt does hurt though. Easing up the manabase means the deck can run four tectonic edges and treetop villages, which I've found have been helping a lot. It also means less shockland damage, which can sometimes be relevant. Due to the low activation cost treetop village becomes relevant more quickly than some of the other manlands. A number of my games were ending with treetops and bob doing the beatdown. The edges help deal with tron, other manlands, and keeping people with greedier manabases off of a color.

The manabase also makes it easier to get good value out of ooze, with more green. I've been finding him pretty good. Sometimes he'll end up as a beater, and there a good number of decks he manages to cause problems for. I feel like he should maybe only be a three-of though. Sometimes my hands get a little too oozy.

The guys who made the deck have way more experience than I do, so some things I am hesitant to mess with. The manabase has been working quite smoothly, so I don't think I am likely to start messing with lands. I do realize that they were building with a very narrow metagame in mind though, so some things, namely the removal package and the sideboard, might need to be tweaked.

I've been pulling in deathmarks instead of dismembers for anything green or white heavy. Fullminator mages I've only been bringing in against tron. Infest seems like it would be good against affinity (which I haven't seen come up). I have used it to good effect against pod. Arena I've sometimes brought in as a 'fifth bob' if it seems like it is going to be a longer grindy sort of match. Shadow of doubt I figure is to get value off of a land fetch, but I am not sure when I should be siding that in. Tron maybe? Thrun I haven't sided in, just because I haven't seen a lot of control in the tournament practice room. Wrench mind I assume for combo? I am not sure when to side that one exactly either.

In the MTGO meta, having seen bogle a number of times the past couple days, I feel the sideboard needs some sort of anti-bogle card. Geth's verdict seems like it would be okay, but they'll often fetch in an arbor to try and eat edicts. Any suggestions on that, or on anything else? Like I said, I am coming back after a break from playing, and am still pretty rusty. Trying to get used to playing against some of the new decks out there.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
crucible lets you run ghost quarters instead of tec edges. They'll run out of basics pretty quick, and then it is a repeatable strip mine.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
If you feel like you need to devote sideboard slots exclusively to Bogle hate, there's nothing better than Back to Nature.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, I might end up needing to include back to nature. Evil bogles.

Just watched the newest channelfireball modern video from Conley. More of the monogreen genesis wave combo deck.
http://www.channelfireball.com/videos/rogues-gallery-modern-mono-green-2/
You get to hear him use the choice quote "Every time I mulligan with this deck I want to punch a baby."
I don't think he is a very big fan of it. I haven't seen it from anybody online yet.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Konstantin posted:

If you feel like you need to devote sideboard slots exclusively to Bogle hate, there's nothing better than Back to Nature.

Strangely enough, I've seen Fracturing Gust used in sideboards instead of Back to Nature. Probably because it can reach artifacts and has a bonus of catching you back up in terms of life totals.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
5 seems too slow to me for that. Maybe Pareselene for a bit of both? Brainstorming for cheapish evacuation type cards we have miracled devastation tide, maybe Hibernation. Ideally you'd have the auras fall off and not get returned to hand with it.

Noninteractive decks can be annoying.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Might try a couple of Back to Nature in my Affinity sideboard in case Bogle catches on here, and for Stoney Silence. Or maybe Ray of Revelation, either way I may need the mana open when the enchantment comes down.

I actually kind of dig Bogle though, might try to get the bits together if I can get a good price on Coronets.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
My friends and I splurged on some time spiral block boxes so that we could draft and hopefully hit the goyf jackpot. I remember opening 2 coronets and a grove and being kinda bummed about my rares. In hindsight, pretty drat nice!

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
So I found I have most of the cards for a modern U/R Storm deck. Would you say the deck is consistent enough to waste money getting the cards I don't have (some of the rituals, pyromancer's ascensions and past in flames) and how well does it handle against dedicated hate (Graveyard removal, ethersworn canonist, stuff like that?)

Also, is there a list that's generally been accepted to work well that I can just steal, or do I have to figure this out on my own?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Jenx posted:

So I found I have most of the cards for a modern U/R Storm deck. Would you say the deck is consistent enough to waste money getting the cards I don't have (some of the rituals, pyromancer's ascensions and past in flames) and how well does it handle against dedicated hate (Graveyard removal, ethersworn canonist, stuff like that?)

Also, is there a list that's generally been accepted to work well that I can just steal, or do I have to figure this out on my own?

As a storm player, the following things are true:

Relic of Progenitus/Tormod's Crypt/Nihil Spellbomb are easily played around with Stony Silence (which should be in your board for Affinity and Pod anyway)

Ethersworn Canonist is a joke, easily bolted away.

Scavenging Ooze is the real deal, though. He wrecks your day like no other, and there's virtually no way to win if your opponent untaps with one.

The deck is basically the definition of "tier 1.5"; it doesn't lose to any rogue strategies and it handily beats a couple tier 1 decks (Tron is a particularly laughable matchup, because Repeal and Remand don't really do that much against you) but it just cannot beat any sort of tier 1 deck like Jund or America.

Also, people are starting to pack Boil, which is a pretty bad time for you.

The deck is cheap, though - other than the fetches, the whole thing can be bought for about $60, so you're not really out that much by putting it together and running it up a few FNM flagpoles.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Yeah there aren't any "real" decks at the FNMs I play at. Mostly it's some sort of white-based aggro or some people with counter spells.

Stony Silence - if I'm running this, does this mean I have to run white in the deck as well? Because I don't have any fetches and I honestly don't think I can afford them in the foreseeable future, so I can't just splash a color that easy into the deck.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Jenx posted:

Yeah there aren't any "real" decks at the FNMs I play at. Mostly it's some sort of white-based aggro or some people with counter spells.

Stony Silence - if I'm running this, does this mean I have to run white in the deck as well? Because I don't have any fetches and I honestly don't think I can afford them in the foreseeable future, so I can't just splash a color that easy into the deck.

:ssh: Manamorphose

Also, City of Brass or even a (shudder) Vivid Land would do

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I'd be wary of trying the deck without fetches, proxy it up and try.
You only run 16 lands, so it's critical that every land be able to tap for blue on turn 1. 1 land hands are very keep able.
Trying to get a fetchless mana base that can do that and still find enough red will not be easy.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

There simply no way I can afford fetches with them costing 30$ each. I am not paying that kind of cash for cardboard, not with the kind of money I make right now. It'll have to work without fetches.

I'd still appreciate a deck list though, just so I'd know what exactly I need and what I have already. Like I have stuff like 4x Manamorphose, gitaxian probe, serum visions, sleight of hand and stuff like that, but I want to know how many Past in Flames and such I need to run. Some friends of mine will be ordering stuff online soon, and I'd like to know how much of what I'd need, since I can't afford to just order 4x of everything and work things out from there.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Is Kiki-Pod still a deck that sees play? Does anyone have a post RTR block/M14 list? My LGS looks like it's doing modern FNMs more frequently in the near future and Birthing Pod is a fun card, so I'm considering buying into a Pod deck, and Kiki looks more fun to me than Melira.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Jenx posted:

I'd still appreciate a deck list though, just so I'd know what exactly I need and what I have already. Like I have stuff like 4x Manamorphose, gitaxian probe, serum visions, sleight of hand and stuff like that, but I want to know how many Past in Flames and such I need to run. Some friends of mine will be ordering stuff online soon, and I'd like to know how much of what I'd need, since I can't afford to just order 4x of everything and work things out from there.
I run 3 Past in Flames and 4 Pyromancer's Ascension. Also 2 Increasing Vengeance. Everything else is lands and commons

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

gang sines posted:

Is Kiki-Pod still a deck that sees play? Does anyone have a post RTR block/M14 list? My LGS looks like it's doing modern FNMs more frequently in the near future and Birthing Pod is a fun card, so I'm considering buying into a Pod deck, and Kiki looks more fun to me than Melira.

Yes. Ari Lax wrote an incredible primer on it after top8ing GP Kansas City, including card choices and which cards to NOT play (SCG Premium, or wait 2 more days for it to switch to free)
http://www.starcitygames.com/article/26476_Kiki-Pod-In-BBQ-Town.html

Decklist:
http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=5250&d=230273

I presume the only update would be Scavenging Ooze somewhere in the 75.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Anyone have any ideas for a deck that is solid vs Jund, still 50% vs the field and doesn't play out of the graveyard?

The only thing I can think of is Affinity.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Tharizdun posted:

Anyone have any ideas for a deck that is solid vs Jund, still 50% vs the field and doesn't play out of the graveyard?

Ari Lax's Kiki-Pod seems like an okay choice.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Bogle with Leyline of Sanctity?

Living End with land destruction and hardcasting fatties, saving Beast Within for Bob.

Pod has good tools against any deck, too, and can probably get through Jund's control suite sometimes.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Living End with land destruction and hardcasting fatties, saving Beast Within for Bob.
Doesn't Living End lose to Scavenging Ooze?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Tharizdun posted:

Doesn't Living End lose to Scavenging Ooze?

Not if you are hardcasting your stuff.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Not really, no. I mean, sure, if it's turn 8, you have most of your stuff in the graveyard for some reason, they haven't killed you and they have an Ooze out and all of their mana is green and untapped... then yeah.

But Living End should, and usually does go off on turn 3-5, at which point there's not much an Ooze can make. That and after sideboard you get stuff like Dismember and/or Shriekmaw which just kill the drat thing before it can do much of anything.

It will still make things difficult, there's no denying that. But it's not a card that you just auto-lose if they play.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Living End will have probably 3-4 things in the yard before they get 3 mana whereas getting Ooze online before then can eat maybe only 1 thing. Even if they lead with turn 1 Deathrite, they'd have to use it instead of actually doing stuff. Long term Ooze and Deathrite would win, but in this case it wouldn't matter since Living End attacks their mana base and starts casting Street Wraith and Jungle Weaver. Living End decks are far from one-dimensional, and one of its strengths is that people think it actually is one-dimensional and get caught off guard.

AlphaKeny1 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 8, 2013

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Living End will have probably 3-4 things in the yard before they get 3 mana whereas getting Ooze online before then can eat maybe only 1 thing. Even if they lead with turn 1 Deathrite, they'd have to use it instead of actually doing stuff. Long term Ooze and Deathrite would win, but in this case it wouldn't matter since Living End attacks their mana base and starts casting Street Wraith and Jungle Weaver. Living End decks are far from one-dimensional, and one of its strengths is that people think it actually is one-dimensional and get caught off guard.
How does it do against affinity? I'm guessing the 4x ravagers do a bit of work right?

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I don't play Living End or Affinity so I can't comment accurately but I imagine Living End would have pretty good resources against Affinity since the LD can target Inkmoth or whatever and wiping their board only requires 3 mana instead of the usual 4. Does Affinity play 4 Ravagers? I thought they only play 2 now. But a fast Cranial Plating and explosive start can end things quickly if they don't find an answer.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Tharizdun posted:

UB Mill :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

what is this i dont even

• Locked thread