Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

I just want an MP-10 in white with a trailer that gives him armor. I will never buy another Magnus again.

For now, City Commander is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Veg posted:

I will never undertand that opinion. Look at Springer, everyone said Hasbro would never top that poo poo 3rd party mold.
It's way easier on the heart to tell yourself "Hasbro can't do it!" than to face the reality of "Hasbro could give us all the glorious robots we need, but instead they're busy making robots based on this"

Look into his cold, dead eyes and realize he's probably getting a cvc, a deluxe, a voyager and six repaints!

A fate so horrible my grammar stops working

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 7, 2013

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm choosing to believe that that is Bay trolling people. It's clearly a dwarf from LotR.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
City Commander looks a LOT better with a proper face.

Mine has the Dr. Wu face (the first one pictured), which is definitely an... imperfect sculpt as not everything is totally even (one of his eyes is every so slightly bigger than the other and it bothers me), but it's still better than what Fansproject put on there.

And Warbot Defender is also better than Generations Springer... from the neck down. Honestly, I think Generations Springer LOOKS better than Defender, but Defender is overall a more solid toy and pegs together a lot more nicely and just feels better in your hands. My Generations Springer's blades are kinda bendy and there's a bit of a gap when I make them into a sword.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Gammatron 64 posted:

And Warbot Defender is also better than Generations Springer... from the neck down. Honestly, I think Generations Springer LOOKS better than Defender, but Defender is overall a more solid toy and pegs together a lot more nicely and just feels better in your hands. My Generations Springer's blades are kinda bendy and there's a bit of a gap when I make them into a sword.

Are you making sure to peg the end of it together? There might be some mold flash on the peg or in the hole that connects the ends of the two rotor blades. Either that or it's bent out of shape, because the rotors on mine peg together perfectly. Either way, it's better than the potential razor blades that make up Defender's rotors. Those things look way too sharp in all the videos and pics I've seen.

And I'm pretty sure most of the perceived quality difference is due to the die-cast in Defender's legs. I swear, add die-cast to something seems to make people give a toy's build quality way more credit than it deserves.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

No Your Other Left posted:

Are you making sure to peg the end of it together? There might be some mold flash on the peg or in the hole that connects the ends of the two rotor blades. Either that or it's bent out of shape, because the rotors on mine peg together perfectly. Either way, it's better than the potential razor blades that make up Defender's rotors. Those things look way too sharp in all the videos and pics I've seen.

And I'm pretty sure most of the perceived quality difference is due to the die-cast in Defender's legs. I swear, add die-cast to something seems to make people give a toy's build quality way more credit than it deserves.

Maybe I'll try boiling a pot and putting the sword in.

My Springer doesn't peg in that super great and I sorta feel like he's a little overrated, but maybe I got I bad one, I dunno. I like Sandstorm WAY better and don't really have any problems with him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh poo poo, Amazon shipped my Metroplex!

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Rhyno posted:

Oh poo poo, Amazon shipped my Metroplex!

Oh poo poo, BBTS still hasn't shipped, it's been a week already.

Important service announcement - anyone want a Voyager Shockwave, Springer, Blitzwing, or Sandstorm shipped to them (before I return them to HTS?)

strangehamster fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 7, 2013

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Just got an e-mail about mine too! Should be here Saturday.

For any Seattle/Eastside folks here I was just at the Redmond Target this morning and they'd finally rebooted the transformers section. It's moved down to the other end of the same isle. They've got all the new Predacons Rising stuff I think, the construct bots and they had a single Springer this morning. No Sandstorm unfortunately. I didn't actually pick anything up except a couple construct bots. I'm just not feeling the pointy cars and dragons series.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Metroplex

is

awesome

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Veg posted:

I will never undertand that opinion. Look at Springer, everyone said Hasbro would never top that poo poo 3rd party mold.

A fair point, but I always had more faith in Hasbro pulling off a decent Springer than I do in them pulling off a decent Magnus with full truck/trailer mode and armor combination gimmick. Springer was just a matter of making him a Voyager. I believe a decent Magnus is beyond their current capability.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Keldroc posted:

A fair point, but I always had more faith in Hasbro pulling off a decent Springer than I do in them pulling off a decent Magnus with full truck/trailer mode and armor combination gimmick. Springer was just a matter of making him a Voyager. I believe a decent Magnus is beyond their current capability.

I don't think it's a matter of competence, Keldroc. I think it's because they, nowadays, steadfastly refuse to partsform for any purpose, ever, except maybe for weapons. They'd make the armor all one piece that would be bricky as all hell, like Ultimate DotM Prime, or G1 Magnus.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Honestly I would be okay with some kind of trailer that unfolded into an open Iron Man-esque suit that you smacked the smaller Ultra Magnus body into, which then locked around it using springy bits or just closed together over the arms/legs.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

I don't think it's a matter of competence, Keldroc. I think it's because they, nowadays, steadfastly refuse to partsform for any purpose, ever, except maybe for weapons. They'd make the armor all one piece that would be bricky as all hell, like Ultimate DotM Prime, or G1 Magnus.

I think it is a matter of competence, because I'm not convinced there's no way to do a one-piece armor trailer that works. It's simply a matter of design, and I don't think they have people willing or able to do that level of design right now, plus they're probably not willing to devote that level of cost to one toy in the subline. Hence, City Commander is it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Like a.. Dominus Ambus?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Keldroc posted:

I think it is a matter of competence, because I'm not convinced there's no way to do a one-piece armor trailer that works. It's simply a matter of design, and I don't think they have people willing or able to do that level of design right now, plus they're probably not willing to devote that level of cost to one toy in the subline. Hence, City Commander is it.

It couldn't be worse than Armada Prime.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Rhyno posted:

It couldn't be worse than Armada Prime.

Now you're just tempting fate.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

GD_American posted:

Metroplex

is

awesome

gently caress yes he is.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Keldroc posted:

Who says it has to be a full on trailer? Animated Magnus was an APC who didn't need a separate cab. Currently deluxe Magnus is this way where he's a single cab who transforms as well. Make a big rear end blue, red, and white military transport vehicle that can fit smaller vehicles on top and that is a good midground for Magnus's alt mode. That way the cab doesn't need to detach and he can be a large figure.

I mean look at Sandstorm his alt mode is a VTOL instead of a helicopter. Upgrading the occasional alt mode to something else is fine.

Something along the lines like this:

but with the front of his animated alt mode so the vehicle will have like 8 wheels. And you have a flat surface area where grooves can be put to carry smaller vehicles.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 8, 2013

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yep, I'm actually fine with my Magnuses not being white Primes with armor. The exception would be MP magnus, which I assume they will go the G1 route with because of course they would. Just take the IDW magnus robot design, give him a big rear end armored military vehicle altmode. And a hammer because why not.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

WendigoJohnson posted:

Who says it has to be a full on trailer? Animated Magnus was an APC who didn't need a separate cab.

Because Classics are G1 remakes, therefore Ultra Magnus should be a cab-with-trailer that combines with the trailer. I don't care what the other versions of Magnus were. CHUG Magnus is G1 Magnus with modern tooling and articulation, and is what it is. If you're talking about a Magnus that is not a white cab robot that combines with a car carrier trailer into a larger armored form, you're not talking about a candidate for a CHUG Magnus.

I'm perfectly happy with "big truck with hammer" Magnus as the modern version of the character, but CHUG armored Magnus and Masterpiece Magnus are cab-with-trailer or nothing.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Keldroc posted:

Because Classics are G1 remakes, therefore Ultra Magnus should be a cab-with-trailer that combines with the trailer. I don't care what the other versions of Magnus were. CHUG Magnus is G1 Magnus with modern tooling and articulation, and is what it is. If you're talking about a Magnus that is not a white cab robot that combines with a car carrier trailer into a larger armored form, you're not talking about a candidate for a CHUG Magnus.

But we're getting Beast Wars in this line and Megatron is a Stealth Bomber now and a Samurai Tank. I think they can have some slack if the altmode is colored properly.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 8, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WendigoJohnson posted:

But we're getting Beast Wars in this line and Megatron is a Stealth Bomber now and a Samurai Tank. I think they can have some slack if the altmode is colored properly.

Speaking of, when the hell are those BWs coming?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

WendigoJohnson posted:

I don't see how any of that is relevant, especially since the line began with a gun Megatron, albeit a very Nerf-y one. When they cough up a decent G1 armored Magnus they can do weird updates of the character as tributes to things that came out five years ago. But they're never going to cough that up, so...City Commander.

Rhyno posted:

Speaking of, when the hell are those BWs coming?

Q1 2014 is the current window.

PriNcessofDarXness
Jun 16, 2009
Thanks for bringing that up cause I've been wondering why they chose that Bludgeon mold for Megatron. If Keldroc gets to gripe for a cab with armor trailer Magnus then I get to demand a proper G2 Megatron with a shoulder cannon. Not a cannon arm or samurai cosplay. IDW is standing in for the unreleased bomber Megs on my shelf though so at least there's that...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

PriNcessofDarXness posted:

Thanks for bringing that up cause I've been wondering why they chose that Bludgeon mold for Megatron. If Keldroc gets to gripe for a cab with armor trailer Magnus then I get to demand a proper G2 Megatron with a shoulder cannon. Not a cannon arm or samurai cosplay. IDW is standing in for the unreleased bomber Megs on my shelf though so at least there's that...

Unreleased bomber Megatron? I have one at home. Or are you talking some never-appearing Voyager class version?

PriNcessofDarXness
Jun 16, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Unreleased bomber Megatron? I have one at home. Or are you talking some never-appearing Voyager class version?

Wasn't G2 supposed to have Megatron and Starscream released as a combining ATB bomber but something happened and they were renamed Dreadwing and something or other? That's what IDW Dreadwing is based off, right?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Wasn't G2 supposed to have Megatron and Starscream released as a combining ATB bomber but something happened and they were renamed Dreadwing and something or other? That's what IDW Dreadwing is based off, right?

G2 had the awesome Dreadwing and Smokescreen ATB bomber two-pack thing, which was later supposed to be repainted into Megatron and Starscream. This never saw the light of day in G2, however in the Japanese Beast Wars II series, they more or less released them in that color scheme with minor differences as BB and Starscream. I have a Korean BB and Starscream with reprolabels on it to make it look like the unreleased G2 Megatron and Starscream. Sadly reprolabels doesn't make that sticker sheet anymore because apparently it didn't sell so you can't really make one anymore.

But what's kinda cool is the Generations IDW Megatron is being repainted into G2 Dreadwing and I'm honestly almost more excited for that one.

I really want a proper CHUG G2 tank Megatron. I don't care if I have to resort to a third party, I want a green Megatron with a shoulder cannon and a front of a tank for boobs that's at least Voyager size.

Also, I'm still waiting on a voyager sized Galvatron. Serious 3rd party or Hasbro. Where's my friggin' voyager purple Galvatron?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Keldroc posted:

Because Classics are G1 remakes, therefore Ultra Magnus should be a cab-with-trailer that combines with the trailer.

How does that leave poor Perceptor, Galvatron (he sucks but that's a different problem) and to a lesser degree Scourge and others (Kup, Blurr)? I assure you that if they do a proper classics Soundwave, it won't be a tape deck. Straight G1 reinterpretations are what the MP line does, not classics and its offshoots.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
The one truck day I don't camp out at TRU they get two MP Soundwaves and sell them as I'm on hold while the operator is trying to find one to set aside for me. Back to :f5:

:negative:/:argh:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Blackheart posted:

How does that leave poor Perceptor, Galvatron (he sucks but that's a different problem) and to a lesser degree Scourge and others (Kup, Blurr)? I assure you that if they do a proper classics Soundwave, it won't be a tape deck. Straight G1 reinterpretations are what the MP line does, not classics and its offshoots.

Yeah, I would be fine with them doing Ultra Magnus as just one bot. In the G1 cartoon, Animated and Prime he wasn't a guy in a suit, although these days he is in a lot of fiction because of his G1 toy.

I don't like the iGear mini warriors as they literally just ape the G1 alt modes, and are little super deformed 80s cars. Hey, I love me some G1 toys and G1 minibots, but the iGear mini warriors feel out of place as hell in my classics collection. I'm fine with an Ultra Powerglide and a Voyager Seaspray even though a lot of people aren't.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
They're back online GOGOGO!

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

BXCX posted:

They're back online GOGOGO!

Just got an order in! Got confirmation e-mail as well. Glad I sat down to eat my morning cereal just now.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

DisposableHero posted:

Just got an order in! Got confirmation e-mail as well. Glad I sat down to eat my morning cereal just now.

I got the confirmation as well, it feels good. Big thanks to whoever it was that posted the check for change add-on for Firefox, it's pretty sweet.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sigh. I could get one but my overpriced eBay one came yesterday. It's a fantastic toy.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Endless Mike posted:

Sigh. I could get one but my overpriced eBay one came yesterday. It's a fantastic toy.

You should totally buy a TRU Soundwave, play with the eBay one, and then return the TRU toy to the eBay seller when it arrives.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

strangehamster posted:

You should totally buy a TRU Soundwave, play with the eBay one, and then return the TRU toy to the eBay seller when it arrives.

Hahaha, I don't know if I'd ever stop feeling shady if I did something like that. I knew the risks going in when I bought my eBay version about it showing up for cheap later--but it was (and is still) totally worth it not having to stress about finding a toy because I'm an obsessive maniac when I had a bunch of other stressful important stuff going on (like getting married).

PriNcessofDarXness
Jun 16, 2009
Ah, thanks for clearing that up, Gamma. I didn't know the Megs/Scream version was supposed to be the repaint. But yeah, I'm sticking IDW Megatron on my G2 classics shelf to stand in for that unreleased redeco.

I am inclined to agree with Blackheart that MPs are the direct G1 meets modern engineering line and Classics is basically new age G1. I think enough altmodes and botmodes have been tweaked enough to warrant that belief

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
Actually managed to find a Soundwave in my local TRU over lunch. There were two left. A dude right behind me grabbed the last one. When we got in line, there was another guy ahead of us with two. The cashier eyed us all like we were insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I'm genuinely happy there's such a high demand for MP Soundwave. Hopefully Hasbro is paying attention when it comes to future MP releases.